Author Topic: PlayStation4 - News/Rumor/Speculation - Over 1 Million Sold on Day 1  (Read 413793 times)

Offline Jabs

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: PS4 (Orbis) Rumor/Speculation
« Reply #650 on: February 02, 2013, 08:16:29 PM »

i believe the wii u architecture is designed to be able to use a part of the gpu to supplement the cpu(i'll dig up the source)
but how close can we expect to be to these alleged specs. could the wii u become the ps2 this gen

and sony, this is not how you end a 6 year loss here

8GB for Orbis could totally just be the dev kit numbers, Sony does like to double even quadruple the RAM in those things. The PS2 dev kit had 128MB RAM but only ended up with 32MB. 8GB would be cool but I feel like Sony aren't willing to become a money sponge again this generation.

As for the Wii U using the GPU for CPU tasks, it can be done but it's nothing really worth while looking into on a machine the power of Wii U. Best you can manage to get out of such a setup is maybe some assisted physics work or data de-compression work but even then it wouldn't be a huge leap over what it can do today plus there is the fact that you do end up taking a lot of power away from the graphics side of the system to achieve this. GPGPU stuff is starting to show some really col things but even then only the most modern GPU's are really getting the major benefits out of it.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: February 07, 2013, 09:36:07 AM »
So that February 20 event that Sony is hyping... PS4 announcement?
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #652 on: February 07, 2013, 07:31:41 PM »
Well if you announce the PS4 before E3...you get a big announcement and can just focus on games for E3...and possibly disrupt the market.  Everyone knows that PS4 and the new Xbox are coming but not when.   So some people may buy the Wii U if it is another year away...but if it just a wait til November...perhaps they can steal sales from Nintendo.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: February 08, 2013, 02:37:17 PM »
So I'm hearing rumors that the price of the PS4 may be over $400.  They are looking at new ways to play instead of just a graphics bump.  So I think they are attempting to be the Wii, the Wii U, OnLive, the PS Vita, a Roku and Google TV all in one plus the equal specs to the next Xbox.  Plus word is they are looking into streaming 4K video content and possibly making its bluray drive compatible with the new 4K BD standard when it is finalized.  Yeah, sure they've learned from the PS3's launch.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: February 08, 2013, 02:40:05 PM »
So I'm hearing rumors that the price of the PS4 may be over $400.  They are looking at new ways to play instead of just a graphics bump.  So I think they are attempting to be the Wii, the Wii U, OnLive, the PS Vita, a Roku and Google TV all in one plus the equal specs to the next Xbox.  Plus word is they are looking into streaming 4K video content and possibly making its bluray drive compatible with the new 4K BD standard when it is finalized.  Yeah, sure they've learned from the PS3's launch.
Actually they did.  A lot of people own a PS3 just for the Media capability and if you believe that the Orbis or Durango is going to be released under $400 I have a bridge to sell you.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: February 08, 2013, 03:01:54 PM »
After the Wii, "new ways to play" is too wishy-washy of an improvement to convince me of a purchase.  I think improving the specs is the most flexible way to improve a console.  You give the devs a biggest sandbox and they go to town.

So a Wii like approach to the PS4 where it's a little bit better than the PS3 but with a new hat doesn't interest me.  Neither does a whole bunch of multimedia stuff that has nothing to do with gaming.  But that doesn't mean the market wouldn't buy that, just I wouldn't.

To give me to the hardware boost I want plus any controller gimmicks or multimedia functionality that others may want is going to raise the price.  None of these things are free but if you cut any of them out you risk turning away a chunk of the market.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: February 08, 2013, 03:09:32 PM »
Actually they did.  A lot of people own a PS3 just for the Media capability and if you believe that the Orbis or Durango is going to be released under $400 I have a bridge to sell you.

Your going to be able to buy the $400 dollar system straight off but expect Microsoft to at least have a few different options,

-buying directly from any retailer for the $400-$450.

-grabbing on a subscription similar to the screenshot and through various retailers.

-A 2nd subscription plan tied to ISP/Cable providers. Your Xbox will replace your set top box/DVR and flow through the cables companies. Been rumored for a while and the Xbox can already interact with cables apps (Uverse,FiOS, Xfinty) so the partnership is already in their and the leaked specs had HDMI in.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: February 08, 2013, 03:19:22 PM »
Still $400 or more overall.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: February 08, 2013, 03:33:16 PM »
Still $400 or more overall.

Well yeah but most people are going to probably go for the subsidy deal in the long run.

I'll probably buy mine out right but I know quite a few people who wouldn't mind that payoff.

But like someone earlier said announcing before E3 was always going to be the plan for both Microsoft and Sony. It was the main reason why I waited in a Wii U instead of buying one when I had the chance in December. (Bad initial impressions like the GB live stream didn't help either)

I knew that I had still a few games on my Xbox to play and most of the winter/spring 2013 games aren't Wii U.

In Twp weeks were going to see what Spony has and then a another couple of weeks where Microsoft will show the 720 at GDC maybe.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: February 08, 2013, 04:56:04 PM »
Well, under $400 can be $399.99 which is what I was expecting for the cheap gimped version (HDD instead of SSD, half the number of USB 3.0 ports, possibly wifi only, no move/PS Eye included, etc) and then $450-500 for the all inclusive version.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #660 on: February 14, 2013, 04:28:49 PM »
New controller leaked, maybe.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/77847/rumor-prototype-ps4-controller-revealed?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Cue the "Sony stole Nintendo's idea again!" brigade if that is indeed a touch screen.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: February 14, 2013, 04:35:55 PM »
Looks pretty legit, given that Sony products always manage to leak out.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #662 on: February 14, 2013, 04:37:52 PM »
And the pattern of Sony having the ugliest controller will continue.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: February 14, 2013, 04:40:11 PM »
It's ugly (though that very well may be just a prototype), but it at least looks like it may actually be designed to fit the human hand, unlike Sony's previous controllers. Also, the D-Pad looks like the one on the Vita, which is the best non-Nintendo D-Pad I've ever used.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: February 14, 2013, 05:24:20 PM »
Touch pad is a nice... touch.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: February 14, 2013, 05:41:39 PM »
I'd like to try off tv play with that.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: February 14, 2013, 06:15:12 PM »
Looks like a dual shock alright. Hope it has some heft to it as I find the dualshock3 to be too light.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: February 14, 2013, 06:38:17 PM »
That's quite a jam packed controller.  I wonder what the guts would look like if you took it apart.  Does it also have waggle or rumble?  It would be quite a feat to get all that in there.

Of course any game worth a **** will just use a control scheme that could have been done on the PS1 dual-analog controller.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: February 14, 2013, 06:59:45 PM »
So that February 20 event that Sony is hyping... PS4 announcement?

i want it to be playstation allstars racing or some crap like that to watch the web burn
also there is no way thats a screen its way too small for practical use
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 07:29:44 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: February 14, 2013, 07:55:41 PM »
I'd like to try off tv play with that.

You'll probably get a headache for forcing your eyes.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: February 14, 2013, 08:08:58 PM »
Don't fix what isn't broken I guess....

I still think they should have split the controller in two.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: February 14, 2013, 08:15:02 PM »

It looks like the same touch pad that's used for the Vita's rear touch pad, which is to say it's a very sensitive touch pad.  I honestly can't imagine what use that touch pad could have mounted on the front of the controller like that, but it is a good pad. However, I can tell you right now as a Vita owner that that touch pad will smudge like crazy, which isn't a huge deal when it's mounted on the back of your handheld but is quite annoying when it's on the front.

As for this prototype, I'm not sure what to think right now. You can't see the back of it, so I can't tell whether Sony's finally put in better L2/R2 triggers than the Dualshock 3's (which is my biggest problem with the Dualshock 3). I don't see the point in the touch pad. As for the sticks, I like the look of them at first glance, as it gives your thumbs a grove on the sticks to rest in.  Otherwise, it's the Dualshock design again, my preferred controller design from the current generation so I'm OK with using it again.  As far as I'm concerned, innovation lies in the game design.  You shouldn't need radical, gimmicky controller redesigns to justify software innovation in your games.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 08:29:04 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: February 14, 2013, 08:31:59 PM »

It looks like the same touch pad that's used for the Vita's rear touch pad, which is to say it's a very sensitive touch pad.  I honestly can't imagine what use that touch pad could have mounted on the front of the controller like that, but it is a good pad. However, I can tell you right now as a Vita owner that that touch pad will smudge like crazy, which isn't a huge deal when it's mounted on the back of your handheld but is quite annoying when it's on the front.

As for this prototype, I'm not sure what to think right now. You can't see the back of it, so I can't tell whether Sony's finally put in better L2/R2 triggers than the Dualshock 3's (which is my biggest problem with the Dualshock 3). I don't see the point in the touch pad. As for the sticks, I like the look of them at first glance, as it gives your thumbs a grove on the sticks to rest in.  Otherwise, it's the Dualshock design again, my preferred controller design from the current generation so I'm OK with using it again.  As far as I'm concerned, innovation lies in the game design.  You shouldn't need radical, gimmicky controller redesigns to justify software innovation in your games.
i somewhat agree that it isnt needed but the ds has proven both can be done

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: February 14, 2013, 08:35:18 PM »
I still feel that motion control and IR pointing still have their best days ahead of them.

And on that tangent, if Skyward Sword came out when TP did (with the M+ for that matter), I think the Wii's life cycle would have been dramatically different.

So it's a shame the PS4 wasn't more ambitious.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 08:42:29 PM by Stogi »
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: February 14, 2013, 10:05:06 PM »
That's about what I was expecting.  Though the microphone area is odd, unless it's a tiny speaker, which would be ever weirder.  I'm wondering if I can get my fingers or thumbs up to the touchpad without having to hold it awkwardly.  If it's the same size as the DS3 and the analogue sticks have moved out a bit, then I think it could work. Otherwise, I think it's going to cause a lot of hand cramping with the positions your hand needs to be in to touch that thing.