Author Topic: PlayStation4 - News/Rumor/Speculation - Over 1 Million Sold on Day 1  (Read 413500 times)

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
Re: PS4 (Orbis) Rumor/Speculation
« Reply #575 on: January 18, 2013, 11:01:30 AM »
There have been ton of hints that the dual shock 4 is going to be a new design. The boomer age controller was still just a longer and more rounded dual shock.

Think they're going to get rid of x,b for something similar to the Vita OS and the PlayStation store redesign.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: January 18, 2013, 11:10:35 AM »
There have been ton of hints that the dual shock 4 is going to be a new design. The boomer age controller was still just a longer and more rounded dual shock.

Think they're going to get rid of x,b for something similar to the Vita OS and the PlayStation store redesign.
While I'm one of the few who like the new store over the old.  I would like to stick to my XMB interface Thank You. It is a wonderful interface for what I want to use my PS3/PS4 for.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: January 18, 2013, 11:16:03 AM »
From what I've heard and seen of the Vita interface I like to keep my XMB.  Also I will believe they will change from the dualshock when its in my hands.  Remember the PS3 was suppose to have a different controller as well.

Well, the interface on the Vita's gotten a lot better since they added the ability to use the sticks & buttons in the main menu, but yeah I would prefer keeping the XMB as well.

As for the latest controller rumor, if the next PlayStation doesn't use a Dualshock it had better still be compatible w/ my PS3 Dualshocks for backwards compatibility purposes. And yeah, I'll believe Sony's outright replacing their most popular controller when the thing launches with the console.  I find it more likely that Sony will retool the design to fix things like the loose L2/R2 triggers, as well as possibly replacing their Dpad design since I think Nintendo's patent on the Dpad may have expired by then.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: January 18, 2013, 11:26:41 AM »
if the next PlayStation doesn't use a Dualshock it had better still be compatible w/ my PS3 Dualshocks for backwards compatibility purposes.
lol Backward Compatibility...
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: January 18, 2013, 11:38:48 AM »
PS4 probably won't be backwards compatible. It will probably turn me off of Sony gaming products but that's the reality. Why do you think they bought Gaikai.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: January 18, 2013, 11:47:18 AM »
I think Nintendo's patent on the Dpad may have expired by then.

Their patent expired in 2004. That's why I have a 3rd part accessory for my Wii U that has a D-pad that looks just the Wii's D-pad.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #581 on: January 18, 2013, 12:13:36 PM »
if the next PlayStation doesn't use a Dualshock it had better still be compatible w/ my PS3 Dualshocks for backwards compatibility purposes.

I think it'll probably be like the PS3's BC with the PS2: PS3 BC only in the early models, where people generally care about it, and then removed in later models (with the Gaikai streaming taking its place). Sony has said they're still supporting the PS3 through 2015, so I can't imagine they'd just want to cut off that software revenue source from potential PS4 buyers.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 12:15:34 PM by broodwars »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: January 18, 2013, 12:27:46 PM »
Moving away from the Dual Shock is a major selling point for me. I always hated that design.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: January 18, 2013, 01:50:14 PM »

I think it'll probably be like the PS3's BC with the PS2: PS3 BC only in the early models, where people generally care about it, and then removed in later models (with the Gaikai streaming taking its place). Sony has said they're still supporting the PS3 through 2015, so I can't imagine they'd just want to cut off that software revenue source from potential PS4 buyers.

PS4 won't be using cell at all so no BC.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-orbis-unmasked-what-to-expect-from-next-gen-console

Digital Foundry does their expectations of what the Orbis is.

Distilled down to the fundamentals, these are the details we can share about the technological make-up of the next generation PlayStation.

CPU: Eight-core AMD processor running at 1.6GHz

Graphics core: Radeon HD hardware, 18 compute units at 800MHz

Additional hardware: GPU-like Compute module, some resources reserved by the OS

System-on-chip codename: Liverpool

Memory: 4GB GDDR5, 512MB reserved by the OS

We also have hard data on Orbis's memory set-up. It features 4GB of GDDR5 - the ultra-fast RAM that typically ships with the latest PC graphics cards - with 512MB reserved for the operating system. This is in stark contrast to the much slower DDR3 that Durango will almost certainly ship with. Microsoft looks set to be using an offshoot of eDRAM technology connected to the graphics core to offset the bandwidth issues the use of DDR3 incurs. Volume of RAM is the key element in Durango's favour - there'll be 8GB in total, with a significant amount (two sources we've spoken to suggest 3GB in total) reserved for the OS.

There'll be a relatively high CPU overhead too, with potentially two cores reserved for the customisable apps Microsoft wants to run in parallel with gameplay. Orbis has no such ambitions and may power past the new Xbox simply because it focuses its resources on out-and-out games power. There's always the possibility that Microsoft has looked at the prior success of Nintendo and its own Kinect and come to the conclusion that chasing after the maximum in raw horsepower isn't the way to win the next console war.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: January 18, 2013, 03:38:28 PM »
Of course Sony would focus on all-out power at the expense of other things. That's worked out so well for them with the PS3 and the Vita.

J.P. Corbran

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #585 on: January 18, 2013, 04:06:05 PM »
Of course Sony would focus on all-out power at the expense of other things. That's worked out so well for them with the PS3 and the Vita.

I'm not inclined to believe any so-called "leaked" specs on these new machines until they're officially announced.  The internet's just been swarming with too many "rumors" and "leaks" from "inside sources" on both next-generation consoles for weeks (if not months) now.  It wouldn't surprise me if these specs were true because Sony does have a history of never being able to keep their **** secret, but for now I'm taking all this with a substantial grain of salt.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: January 18, 2013, 04:10:51 PM »

How do you figure the vita I'm that when its built on off the shelf parts.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: January 18, 2013, 04:18:49 PM »
From what I've heard and seen of the Vita interface I like to keep my XMB.  Also I will believe they will change from the dualshock when its in my hands.  Remember the PS3 was suppose to have a different controller as well.

Maybe, but I in a way hope they do have a touchscreen similar to Wii U controller, with support of the PS3 Dualshock controllers, if just because it would make it that more likely for Wii U to have comparable 3rd party support.

And wasn't the only reason the PS3 didn't have the dualshock at first because of a lawsuit claiming they didn't pay for the rights to use it on the Playstation 3?  I thought that's the whole reason they included the quasi-motion control in the controller.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: January 18, 2013, 05:08:11 PM »

How do you figure the vita I'm that when its built on off the shelf parts.

Building a console with off the shelf parts is an even worse idea than what Sony's rumored to be doing here. As a Microsoft fan, you should be more aware of that than anyone after how that blew up in their face.

J.P. Corbran

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: January 18, 2013, 06:45:25 PM »
I thought you were speaking from a cost perspective.

Man I really don't even cares about the hardware I just want to see the OS and how Microsoft and Sony change XBLA and PSN to match the eshop.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #590 on: January 18, 2013, 08:55:00 PM »
I thought you were speaking from a cost perspective.

Man I really don't even cares about the hardware I just want to see the OS and how Microsoft and Sony change XBLA and PSN to match the eshop.

Hopefully none at all, because the eShop kind of blows without a decent fast-access categorization system (plus, the Search function takes way too long to access).  Plus, the eShop forces me to dig that damn GamePad out of the bin when I'd rather use just about any other controller on the Wii U.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: January 18, 2013, 09:12:49 PM »
Out of the bin, eh? I have it right in front of me on the charging cradle at all times. Takes me quite literally one second to pick it up.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: January 18, 2013, 10:18:39 PM »
Well when I said take stuff from the eshop it was more on the back end of things.

For example a lot of developers complain about the process of getting games on xbox live arcade and the process to patch games is pretty expensive.

I can't speak for Sony in this regard but I think Microsoft is going to change their process going from a couple of things.

Microsoft on Windows Phone/8 has at least Twp games made by micro indies in Wordament and Alphajax.

The guys at Dlala Studios who are working with lift London said that the guys at Microsoft know they have problems to address

Our first real interaction was meeting some of the Windows 8 guys at Develop in July 2012, around a month after our studio was officially formed. I had a chat with a great guy called Andrew Webber, and they seemed really supportive of the indie scene.

Most importantly, they seemed really honest, too.

They acknowledged that Microsoft hadn't shown appreciation towards the little guys in the past and explained that there was a big change coming with Windows 8 and Microsoft's attitudes in general.

That and the Windows Phone and Windows Store's don't have restrictions on patches PR barrier to entry. (Getting your game xbpx live certified is a different thing)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #593 on: January 18, 2013, 11:08:37 PM »
And wasn't the only reason the PS3 didn't have the dualshock at first because of a lawsuit claiming they didn't pay for the rights to use it on the Playstation 3?  I thought that's the whole reason they included the quasi-motion control in the controller.

It wasn't just claiming, Sony lost the lawsuit and the judge ruled they violated another companies patent. So Sony was forced to license their rumble tech.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: January 18, 2013, 11:54:01 PM »
I tend to trust Digital Foundry. If these specs are true, this is going to be very good system, but not the powerhouse some dreamed about. It's not 10x the power of the Wii U.

4gb GDDR5 is crazy fast though. It can't be cheap.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: January 19, 2013, 12:04:41 AM »
4gb GDDR5 is crazy fast though. It can't be cheap.

Five hundred ninety nine U.S. dollars part two?

J.P. Corbran

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: January 19, 2013, 10:43:07 AM »

Well, the interface on the Vita's gotten a lot better since they added the ability to use the sticks & buttons in the main menu, but yeah I would prefer keeping the XMB as well.

As for the latest controller rumor, if the next PlayStation doesn't use a Dualshock it had better still be compatible w/ my PS3 Dualshocks for backwards compatibility purposes. And yeah, I'll believe Sony's outright replacing their most popular controller when the thing launches with the console.  I find it more likely that Sony will retool the design to fix things like the loose L2/R2 triggers, as well as possibly replacing their Dpad design since I think Nintendo's patent on the Dpad may have expired by then.

popular? they've barely given you an alternative, more like "forced" than popular ;)
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #597 on: January 19, 2013, 01:44:29 PM »
It's popular because it hasn't really changed since it was created, not because people love it.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: January 19, 2013, 04:46:09 PM »
so the dualshock is popular for the same reason Jay Leno is popular, no one likes it but it's just been around forever with slight tweaks here and there? ;)
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #599 on: January 19, 2013, 10:50:47 PM »
Being successful by not offending anyone? No edge whatsoever? Yes, it is exactly like Leno.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.