Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. Brawl  (Read 348592 times)

Offline Blondy17

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Super Smash Bros. Brawl
« Reply #1150 on: August 27, 2006, 07:00:05 AM »
I think the new characters are awesome.  THE NEW GAME LOOKS SOOO COOL!
Hey I'm Britney and I am 14. I AM A HARDCORE NINTENDO FAN!!!

Offline Strell

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
RE: Super Smash Bros. Brawl
« Reply #1151 on: August 27, 2006, 10:46:13 AM »
I hope Brawl is much more unbalanced than Melee.

Not only will that keep these whiners from playing online against me, but they'll just waste more of their time in here moping about how the game isn't to their exact specifications.

That simultaneously makes the game more fun for me and pisses them off.  Which is like a wonderful, sultry piece of chocolate only I get to enjoy.
I must find a way to use "burninate" more in my daily speech.

Status of Smash Bros Online bet:
$10 Bet with KashogiStogi
$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Update: 9/18 confirms t

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: August 27, 2006, 11:57:45 AM »
Remember kids, Jesus once said, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." Tell me you've never wished anything in any videogame was different, then shut up for being a hypocrite.

Melee was an awesome game, but it wasn't perfect. There I said it. Fanboys, burn me. I'm ready now.

Offline Strell

• View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: August 27, 2006, 12:03:37 PM »
Oh, I never once passed myself off as never complaining about a game.

So that wouldn't make me a hypocrite.

However, failing to pick up on biting sarcasm and retorting with a direct insult?  

That's just plain golden.

Since we're on the subject, I hope Brawl is 20% faster than Melee.  I hope there is no option to play without items.  I hope wave dashing has been removed.  I hope the only new characters are Pokemon.  I hope online play is restricted to three stages, four characters (all of them Mario), and only 2 player 1v1 matches.  I hope the game can somehow detect if any movies of it are being recorded, and it explodes upon this realization.  I hope every stage is moving/scrolling, that Snake is a ripoff Captain Falcon, and that there's a tier for every character in the game, such that one character will always beat those under them, no matter how skilled anyone is.  That way, when we find out Fox is the best character, everyone is just in a rush to get him.  It thus follows that two Foxes in one match will simply end the game immediately, both crowned champions, and the game rewrites data on the disc itself to "game has been eternally beaten," forcing people to buy another copy of Brawl since they've already beaten that first copy they've bought.  I hope no one bitches about the game, cuz the game will bitch about itself.  Everyday you'll be able to boot up your Wii and it will have logged into a livejournal.ssbb.com, where it talks about how much no one likes it.  I hope this, too, will cause it too explode in a fit of digital suicide.  I hope the minigames revolved around how fast you can fully spin around a trophy, because when I say trophy, I imply singularity, as there only needs to be one trophy to get - Mr. Resetti in a bikini.  I hope the Sandbag is a playable character with 3 moves - stand, jump, and fall over.  I hope everyone gets equipped with a gun AND a morphing ability, and in some cases you can morph the gun as you are shooting it AND as you are morphing, which will cause earthquakes to break out in Pennsylvania and South Dakota, as well as various nations in South America.  I hope there are no particle effects.  I hope the FPS cycles between 15 and 22 for dramatic effect.  I hope the game is capable of 14 man battles, but can only handle 4, even though it says explicitly on the label.

Yes.  All of that would be awesome.  

$10 Bet with Khushrenada
Avatar Appointment with Vudu (still need to determine what to do if I win, give suggestions!)

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: August 27, 2006, 12:40:35 PM »
Strell, you are my new hero.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1155 on: August 27, 2006, 07:04:12 PM »

Originally posted by: Strell
Oh, I never once passed myself off as never complaining about a game.

So that wouldn't make me a hypocrite.

However, failing to pick up on biting sarcasm and retorting with a direct insult?  

Since we're on the subject, I hope Brawl is 20% faster than Melee.  I hope there is no option to play without items.  I hope wave dashing has been removed.  I hope the only new characters are Pokemon.  I hope online play is restricted to three stages, four characters (all of them Mario), and only 2 player 1v1 matches.  I hope the game can somehow detect if any movies of it are being recorded, and it explodes upon this realization.  I hope every stage is moving/scrolling, that Snake is a ripoff Captain Falcon, and that there's a tier for every character in the game, such that one character will always beat those under them, no matter how skilled anyone is.  That way, when we find out Fox is the best character, everyone is just in a rush to get him.  It thus follows that two Foxes in one match will simply end the game immediately, both crowned champions, and the game rewrites data on the disc itself to "game has been eternally beaten," forcing people to buy another copy of Brawl since they've already beaten that first copy they've bought.  I hope no one bitches about the game, cuz the game will bitch about itself.  Everyday you'll be able to boot up your Wii and it will have logged into a livejournal.ssbb.com, where it talks about how much no one likes it.  I hope this, too, will cause it too explode in a fit of digital suicide.  I hope the minigames revolved around how fast you can fully spin around a trophy, because when I say trophy, I imply singularity, as there only needs to be one trophy to get - Mr. Resetti in a bikini.  I hope the Sandbag is a playable character with 3 moves - stand, jump, and fall over.  I hope everyone gets equipped with a gun AND a morphing ability, and in some cases you can morph the gun as you are shooting it AND as you are morphing, which will cause earthquakes to break out in Pennsylvania and South Dakota, as well as various nations in South America.  I hope there are no particle effects.  I hope the FPS cycles between 15 and 22 for dramatic effect.  I hope the game is capable of 14 man battles, but can only handle 4, even though it says explicitly on the label.

Yes.  All of that would be awesome.

TLDR
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: August 27, 2006, 07:19:35 PM »

I quoted Jesus.... and you say I failed to pick up on sarcasm......

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #1157 on: August 27, 2006, 08:02:48 PM »
Hey guys, sorry I bring this up again, but has anything surfaced regarding the Ubisoft characters being SSB Brawl rumor that was posted way back in June?

The reason I suddenly bring this up is because one of my friends is deadset on his beliefs that due to how close Ubi and Nintendo are right now we will see Rayman or any of the rumored characters in the game.

I believe that just because Ubi and Nintendo are working very closely on the Wii games it doesn't mean that an Ubi character WILL be in the game. That rumor was brought up like once bu just one newsource, then never brought up again, leading me to believe the rumors were false to begin with.

And S_B, what does "TLDR" means?

-pap64
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: August 27, 2006, 08:43:06 PM »
Rumors are rumors. That's really all you need to know. Chances are you won't get a straight answer until the game is released.

All I know is if Sonic isn't in Brawl, there will be riots all over the world. Personally, I want Cloud and a Belmont, preferably Trevor. He just looked the coolest in Curse of Darkness. Ayami Kojima's Simon is also quite badass.

TLDR = Too Long Didn't Read

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1159 on: August 28, 2006, 04:47:17 AM »
Nintendo really opened a can of worms when they let Snake in the game.  He is a 3rd party character that nobody expected in the game, and didn't really fit.  That opened the door for more speculation.  If Nintendo just said Sonic was in the game, speculation of other 3rd party characters would be less.

Now Nintendo fans all have their personal desired 3rd party characters they want in the game, and it isn't going to happen, more most likely won't.

I want to see Bomberman and Mega Man.  I think one of those character has a really great chance of being in the game, possibly even both of them...then again it is also likely none of them are in the game and I will be disappointed.  Oh well.  Such is hype and the internet.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #1160 on: August 28, 2006, 05:16:19 AM »
The way my friend sees it that by letting Snake in the game, plus Nintendo confirming other third party characters to be in the final build, and seeing how close Nintendo and Ubi are (working together on Red steel and making Rayman 4 a Wii exclusive), the possibilities of any Ubi character being in the game are high, and when he puts it that way, it makes perfect sense.

However, just because that's the logic he sees it doesn't mean that Nintendo or Ubi will see it that way. Heck for all we know Nintendo may have offered the opportunity to anyone at Ubi and they declined it because they didn't agree with it.

Basically what I've been telling him is to not get his hopes up and make allusions about it because all we had were rumors that were rather obscure, was mentioned once and never brought up again. In fact, I think Sonic, Pac-Man, Bomberman, Megaman and the Castlevania characters have a higher chance of appearing in the game than any Ubi character.

-pap64
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: August 28, 2006, 07:10:01 AM »
I don't really care which third party characters are in the game, although I would be disappointed if Snake was the only one.  I do think Sonic makes a lot of sense, but I wouldn't be sad if he wasn't in there.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1162 on: August 28, 2006, 08:57:46 AM »
Obviously it is Nintendo's final say in who is in the game.  But I don't think Nintendo is going up to 3rd parties asking for their characters.  Instead, if 3rd parties come to them then Nintendo considers it.

That is why I am worried about Sonic being in the game, or not being in the game.  Miyamoto in an interview stated that Sega has not come to Nintendo asking for Sonic to be in the game this time around.  If Miyamoto is speaking the truth then Sega may have desired Sonic in Melee, but now aren't seeking his inclusion in Brawl.  Either that or Miyamoto lied so to keep the surprise.

This is a reason I actually believe Bomberman has a great chance.  Nintendo has worked with Hudson Soft on several projects, and Hudson has a focus on multiplayer games...to see Bomberman have a role in Brawl would be so true to Hudson's roots.  Also I think a Bomberman inspired level for Brawl could be pretty fun.  

I could also see Nintendo making deals with 3rd parties to include the character in Brawl to increase that characters popularity if the 3rd party brings games over to the Wii.

We shall see what happens.  I still say the game will have 5 third party characters.  That number isn't excessive, but is large enough to include the important characters everyone wants to play as.

Offline Strell

• View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: August 28, 2006, 09:08:50 AM »
You know what?

F*ck Sega.

They've been total idiots ever since their precious DC died.

So nutz to Sonic in Brawl.  It'll probably happen, but if Sega is too proud to let a former competitor help them out (which they seem to be, considering all their stupid decisions regarding development last gen), then they don't need to show up in Brawl.

End of discussion re: Sega re: SSBB.

Nintendo knows this is a huge franchise.  I'll bet they've gotten requests from just about every major Japanese dev asking for their characters to be in SSBB.  It's a gauranteed 2-3 million seller in Japan alone, and at least that in America.  You can't buy that kind of exposure for your characters.

$10 Bet with Khushrenada

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1164 on: August 28, 2006, 11:16:25 AM »
Strell:  You know you are absolutely right.  The Publicity alone that your character is in Brawl would be huge.  

The problem is, as a newcomer if Nintendo keeps it a secret then your characters exposure won't happen until much later.  It would still be huge but won't happen as quickly, as say it did for Snake.

But, I think Snakes reveal was done to create huge buzz for the game, and to let 3rd parties know that Nintendo will let 3rd party characters in this time.  It was note to developers to ask for a character inclusion so that Nintendo can hopefully hand pick the characters they want in the game.  

Offline JonLeung

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: August 28, 2006, 12:30:56 PM »
It's been said that the problem with developing for a Nintendo console is that you'll be up against Nintendo games.  Third parties don't like that.

However, to have a presence in the very epitome of a Nintendo game, now that's guaranteed to stir up some interest, and a third-party's best bet in promoting them.

But it's also the dilemma...there are many people who would want SSB:B to be the definite, epitomous, absolute Nintendo game, to include all things Nintendo...and so even if third-party characters were included, some people would look down on them simply because "they don't belong" or "shouldn't belong".

(Then again, my brother refuses to play as or even against DK...and DK's origin is tied with the beginning of modern-day (as in 1980s onward) Nintendo.)

Super Smash Bros. really does cater to the fans, so certain characters may or may not be irksome simply by their absence or presence.  Even if Nintendo does have free pickings from a number of possible choices, Nintendo should pick very carefully...

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: August 28, 2006, 12:36:27 PM »

Originally posted by: JonLeung
(Then again, my brother refuses to play as or even against DK...and DK's origin is tied with the beginning of modern-day (as in 1980s onward) Nintendo.)

Why does he do that?

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1167 on: August 28, 2006, 01:24:01 PM »
Jon:  It is an interesting dilema.  And I think the answer to that is simple.  You can't just put any 3rd party character in...which might upset some 3rd party developers that are wanting to promote their modern characters.

Instead, you have to choose 3rd party characters that people equate/remember playing on a Nintendo system.  (NES or SNES perferable)

That is why Mega Man is a desired character.  People remember him fondly on their 8-bit Nintendo and less on any other system after that.  Bomberman had his start on the Nintendo, and continued success throughout every Nintendo system.  You don't think Bomberman and think Sega, Playstation, Microsoft or even Hudson Soft...you think Nintendo, or I do.  Simon Belmont and Castlevania is another example.  To this day even after all the sequels of Castlevania, most people recall the 8-bit games first, or the Gameboy Advanced games.  They don't think of the Sony games or the 3D version of the game even.

It is a very strange dilema and debate.  Should 3rd parties be involved and if so which.  Well Nintendo has the ultimate say, and they said YES, limited 3rd parties are important to the sequel.  So now the speculation and debate begins on who is worthy.

Offline Hocotate

• View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: August 28, 2006, 02:23:33 PM »
I personally don't think Snake fits all to well in Brawl. I think most people think Sony when they think MGS.... However I am very glad he is in the game, he will cause many people who would normally hesitate before playing Brawl to rush out and buy it.
Currently Playing: Twilight Princess(Wii), Castlevania: PoR(DS), Mario vs. Donkey Kong2(DS), Wii sports(Wii)
Anticipating: Mario Galaxy(Wii), Blue Dragon(360), Dragon Quest:Swords(Wii), Dragon Quest IX (DS)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: August 28, 2006, 02:43:03 PM »

Spak-Spang wrote:
That is why I am worried about Sonic being in the game, or not being in the game. Miyamoto in an interview stated that Sega has not come to Nintendo asking for Sonic to be in the game this time around. If Miyamoto is speaking the truth then Sega may have desired Sonic in Melee, but now aren't seeking his inclusion in Brawl. Either that or Miyamoto lied so to keep the surprise.

If you really want to make your head spin, what if Nintendo went to Sega about Sonic appearing in the game. Technically, Miyamoto would've been telling the truth the whole time.........

Anyway, when you think about it, none of the characters really fit in. Samus shooting Kirby with a missle doesn't make sense. Before Brawl, the only thing they had in common was that they were Nintendo characters. With the addition of Snake, it's just a bunch of videogame characters pitted against eachother for no other reason than it just so cool to pick character A and have them fight character B.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1170 on: August 28, 2006, 03:47:25 PM »
Actually, you're wrong. Kirby has helped Samus before. In Kirby's Dreamland 3, a wonderful but less remembered Kirby game released at the end of the SNES's life, Samus makes an appearence. It's in the 5th or 6th level, whichever the ice level is, in about the 2nd or 3rd stage, Samus makes an appearence. During that level, Kirby must get the ice ability and freeze metroids, then he meets with Samus again and gets a heart star. So, they have a bit of history. And let's not forget that in Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, an even greater SNES game, Samus makes a brief cameo appearence. After Princess Peach joins your party, when you go to her bedroom in her castle, Samus is sleeping in the bed and talks about defeating Mother Brain.

Nintendo, it's all connected.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Strell

• View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: August 28, 2006, 08:00:48 PM »
Smash Bros is like Nintendo's own tribute to itself and its history.

Just watching the demo movies of the characters interacting with each other proves that.

Being in Brawl is like being in a small slice of digital immortal history.  Smash Bros is going to go down as one of the great franchises in Nintendo's ring, if not the entirety of gaming.  

Any company would kill to be in a position to solidify themselves within that monument.  

This is why I am hoping, as I have mentioned several times in the past, for a Nintendo vs World game, where we would see all those zany characters.

In fact, I'd absolutely love to see it include primarily Sony and MS characters.  That'll never happen, as Sony and MS would call for the game to be a cross-platform endeavor.

But who seriously doesn't want to see Samus kick Master Chief's ass?

At any rate, back to the subject - Smash Bros is about the history of Nintendo, in a hyper fun violent shade.  Getting your foot in that massive door is a pathway to greatness.  I'd wager Nintendo has had dozens, if not hundreds of requests, ranging from the Prince of All Cosmos to Ryu to Dante to Cid.  

Let's just be thankful Nintendo is being choosy enough to warrent such secrecy and devotion to their fans.  You know there's some crazed dude in marketing trying to tell everyone that "Omfg, Yugi-oh would be a perfect addition."

$10 Bet with Khushrenada

Offline Neodymium

• View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: August 28, 2006, 08:59:19 PM »

You know what?

F*ck Sega.

So nutz to Sonic in Brawl.  It'll probably happen, but if Sega is too proud to let a former competitor help them out (which they seem to be, considering all their stupid decisions regarding development last gen), then they don't need to show up in Brawl.

Nintendo knows this is a huge franchise.  I'll bet they've gotten requests from just about every major Japanese dev asking for their characters to be in SSBB.  It's a gauranteed 2-3 million seller in Japan alone, and at least that in America.  You can't buy that kind of exposure for your characters.

I agree with that, like mad. Sega isn't the same company that gave us the amazing experiences that were Saturn and Dreamcast. Sega's second-rate, generic, and no longer very.. well, good.

With all this Turbografx-16 stuff going on, I'd love to see someone iconic of that console make it over. Unfortunately, I don't see Bonk having a good enough moveset (perhaps if he were fast but also powerful to make up for his short range), and Bomberman would be cool although it has become multiconsole.
The Mighty Pirate formerely known as PS2stinks..

Offline TMW

• The Man Whore, if you're wondering.
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: August 28, 2006, 09:34:55 PM »

Originally posted by: Neodymium

You know what?

F*ck Sega.

I agree with that, like mad. Sega isn't the same company that gave us the amazing experiences that were Saturn and Dreamcast. Sega's second-rate, generic, and no longer very.. well, good.

Thats because, for all intents and purposes, its not the same Sega.  Sammy bought them out so they could whore Sega characters on their pachinko machines, and Yuji Naka quit Sonic Team, so there are a few distinct reasons Sega has gone from Great to Bad.  

For all of Sega's faults and issues, Sonic is still a very popular franchise (just with entirely new gamers, i.e. I personally know of no old school Sonic fan who claims to enjoy the newer Sonic games).  By putting Sonic in you're going to attract both crowds, however.  

Jesus saves! Everyone else, roll for damage.<BR><BR>Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there's not an invisible monster about to eat your face off.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #1174 on: December 07, 2006, 01:47:09 AM »
Wise from the Grave.

re-reading many of these posts  made me realize that Nintendo fanboy-ism is almost a religion, and to many Smash Brothers is one of the saints of gaming...which got me thinking what are the Nintendo gods saints?

Legend of Zelda (series)
Super Mario RPG (SNES game)
Mario (series)
Metroid (series)
Super Smash Brothers (series)
Super Nintendo System

honorable mentions but not quite there go to:
Pokemon
Mario Kart
F-Zero

Fallen Angel Award (or Lucifer Award) Goes to:
Rare