We store cookies, you can get more info from our privacy policy.
3DSWiiWiiU

Episode 372: Mystic Quest is (Not) Okay

by James Jones, Jonathan Metts, and Guillaume Veillette - March 2, 2014, 1:27 pm PST
Total comments: 17

Let's take a field trip from Murder School to spend time with our buddy Donald, the newest Donkey Kong game, and so much more!

Download in AAC Format

Subscribe to AAC Feed

Download in MP3 Format

Subscribe to MP3 Feed

Subscribe via iTunes (Please rate and review, too!)

With Jon absent another week (as planned), we pick up from Garnett's explosive guest appearance last week with another friend of the show, Donald Theriault of the quasi-spinoff/community podcast, Nintendo Free Radio. Donald also graciously maintains the wonderful RFN official thread (OT) over at NeoGAF, where many of our listeners keep up with the show. He's come on a good week too, as we have much to discuss -- starting with a brand new Wii U game!

Guillaume officially kicks off the Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze discussion, and while none of us are absolutely in love with the game, we speak highly of various aspects while also giving consideration to our problems with the game. We're probably not done with this one, so let us know what you think of it! James, the only one who hasn't jumped into DK (yet?), instead dives deeper into Weapon Shop de Omasse, with mixed results. Donald takes his turn with Bravely Default and also shakes the panel members to their very cores with a fever dream description of Danganronpa for the Vita. Jonny closes out this segment with further --and even more positive-- thoughts on Strider, which turns out to be a truly great, modern Metroid-style game for other platforms.

New Business was already pretty wacky, but things go way more off course in Listener Mail -- and there's fun in them thar hills! The first question makes Jonny regret ever suggesting that Nintendo should buy Xbox. Next, we hear from a listener who took part in an experimental "sales rep" program that could increase Nintendo's presence in retail stores. Then we lose all grasp of reality with a quick recap of Twitch Plays Pokemon before getting dirty deals on eShop cards (sorry, Canada!) and allowing a simple question about sequels to drive a massive, Square-shaped wedge into the heart of our team spirit! You can keep this madness rolling week after week by sending in your own email that we'll twist around into something completely unrelated but maybe hilarious!

This podcast was edited by Guillaume Veillette.

Music for this episode of Radio Free Nintendo is used with permission from Jason Ricci & New Blood. You can purchase their newest album, Done with the Devil, directly from the record label, Amazon (CD) (MP3), or iTunes, or call your local record store and ask for it!

Additional music for this episode of Radio Free Nintendo is copyrighted to Nintendo and is included under fair use protection.

Talkback

Invincible Donkey KongMarch 02, 2014

You seem very tired with sequel-syndrome, Jonny. I'm sorry about that.

But it is half of the video gaming industry nowadays so I understand your feelings.


Fun episode, Donald added an interesting new personality to the discussion.  Why the hate, James?  I think an NWR - the forums podcast is a great premise.

All joking about Mystic Quest aside, any info on the next planned retroactive?



K-S-OMarch 02, 2014

I am glad that someone got to talk about Dangan Ronpa on this show, because I figured that none of the regular hosts would ever touch this game.  Also, I don't care what anyone says.  Dangan Ronpa is a cool-sounding title.

GoldenPhoenix¸March 03, 2014

I would like a Twitch Plays F-Zero GX.

THAT would be insane.

BeautifulShyMarch 03, 2014

and then the NWR crew never had to pay the $10 fee to join the SomethingAwful forums.

BeautifulShyMarch 03, 2014

Apologies for the double post due to the lack of edits, but I also have to say that -NO- game in the SaGa series is good. Seriously. I curse and spit on the ground that Akitoshi Kawazu walks. the only semi-tolerable game that man has ever been responsible for is the first Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles. Seriously, if you want to lament a Square RPG from the Super Famicom not coming out, try Rudrua no Hihou or Seiken Densetsu 3, but... seriously, do not play SaGa games. especially if they have the demo for Final Fantasy 10-2 bundled in. You are seriously better off trying to shoot craps at a sleasy casino because at least they will take your money away and make you feel like a loser in a few minutes rather than over the course of 30 hours where you fucking forgot to get the glass sword in a dungeon you can't revisit and can't hurt God any more because you didn't grab a random weapon out of a non-descript out of the way chest and discerned that it's a special weapon for killing the final boss AUGH SCREW FINAL FANTASY LEGEND/SAGA!!!


DO NOT PLAY SAGA GAMES. OR FINAL FANTASY II ON FAMICOM. OR ANY GAME MADE BY AKITOSHI KAWAZU

I don't think GUI will agree with you there! The first three SaGa games on Game Boy (Final Fantasy Legend 1-3) were his introduction to gaming.

BroodwarsMarch 03, 2014

Quote from: K-S-O

I am glad that someone got to talk about Dangan Ronpa on this show, because I figured that none of the regular hosts would ever touch this game.  Also, I don't care what anyone says.  Dangan Ronpa is a cool-sounding title.

We're going to be talking about Dangan Ronpa on Nintendo Free Radio 32 and going more into it since we have the basic explanations out of the way on 33 so, if you want to hear more about the game and hear a bit of the music we welcome the listen.

Quote from: ClexYoshi

Apologies for the double post due to the lack of edits, but I also have to say that -NO- game in the SaGa series is good. Seriously. I curse and spit on the ground that Akitoshi Kawazu walks. the only semi-tolerable game that man has ever been responsible for is the first Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles. Seriously, if you want to lament a Square RPG from the Super Famicom not coming out, try Rudrua no Hihou or Seiken Densetsu 3, but... seriously, do not play SaGa games. especially if they have the demo for Final Fantasy 10-2 bundled in. You are seriously better off trying to shoot craps at a sleasy casino because at least they will take your money away and make you feel like a loser in a few minutes rather than over the course of 30 hours where you fucking forgot to get the glass sword in a dungeon you can't revisit and can't hurt God any more because you didn't grab a random weapon out of a non-descript out of the way chest and discerned that it's a special weapon for killing the final boss AUGH SCREW FINAL FANTASY LEGEND/SAGA!!!


DO NOT PLAY SAGA GAMES. OR FINAL FANTASY II ON FAMICOM. OR ANY GAME MADE BY AKITOSHI KAWAZU

I sense much Rage in this one.

BeautifulShyMarch 03, 2014

Quote from: Jonnyboy117

I don't think GUI will agree with you there! The first three SaGa games on Game Boy (Final Fantasy Legend 1-3) were his introduction to gaming.


It's good to know that Gui has a maximum HP of 600. SaGa 3 is less egregious, but when you start playing all those games, Final Fantasy II, and then realize that Akitoshi Kawazu came in late in the development for Final Fantasy XII and try to go for the Zodiac Spear, things start to make sense... like you're playing the games of a sadistic man who doesn't want you to succeed.

In that regard, I commend the man for getting into JRPGs in spite of both a language and unreasonable difficulty barrier.

Quote from: Ceric

I sense much Rage in this one.

Ceric, you'd have much rage if you spent your weekend allowance on Unlimited SaGa.

Seriously, I challenge ANY of you out there to tell me how you go through any sort of repeatable process in that game. or any of the Romancing SaGa games where you learn techniques and get stat ups at random.

UnclebobMarch 03, 2014

I'm starting to think James doesn't like us very much. :D

Quote from: pokepal148

I'm starting to think James doesn't like us very much. :D

At least he didn't ban the entire forum before the recording like the last time I was on. You're improving.

BroodwarsMarch 04, 2014

Quote from: ClexYoshi

Quote from: Ceric

I sense much Rage in this one.

Ceric, you'd have much rage if you spent your weekend allowance on Unlimited SaGa.

Seriously, I challenge ANY of you out there to tell me how you go through any sort of repeatable process in that game. or any of the Romancing SaGa games where you learn techniques and get stat ups at random.

Hey I just like to HAVE a Weekend Allowance to spend. (My Parent's didn't do allowance.  They did pay by a long list of chores for $5 if you got it perfect.  I could never so I get maybe a dollar or 2 really inconsistantly.)

eggface123March 04, 2014

Look out Mista JONES!!!! You crazy!!!  And Donkey Kong is hard. meeehhhh.

eggface123March 04, 2014

James Jones is the Michael Pachter of NWR. All hail MEESTA JONES!!!!!

LolmonadeMarch 04, 2014

I wonder if the FTC would even approve of selling the XBox division to Sony or Nintendo.

Quote from: KDR_11k

I wonder if the FTC would even approve of selling the XBox division to Sony or Nintendo.

At the risk of getting close to political talk, I severely doubt they'd block it.

Kytim89March 05, 2014

Jonny, how many Wii U games do you own and how much on the HDD do they take up?

Share + Bookmark





Got a news tip? Send it in!
Advertisement
Advertisement