WiiU

Miyamoto Shares Thoughts On Wii U F-Zero, Metroid

by Zack Kaplan - November 4, 2012, 12:42 pm PST
Total comments: 22 Source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49829..., NeoGAF

Thoughts from the man who made Mario.

Nintendo legend Shigeru Miyamoto recently discussed his thoughts on the F-Zero franchise, saying "I thought people had grown weary of it." The statement came in an interview with French wesbite gamekult.com. He added, to fans of the series   "Thank you very much and try to wait by playing Nintendo Land's F-Zero mini-game."

Miyamoto said he felt there was not much room left for evolution of F-Zero, asking the series fans "What do you want that we haven't done before"?

When asked later about the Metroid series on Wii U, he was quiet on the subject, but stated "Since Wii U is a HD console with more hardware power, what we can naturally think about is a beautiful HD action game." This is certainly not a confirmation that a Metroid game is in the works, but one can assume the series will likely make an appearance on the Wii U platform at some point.

Talkback

EnnerNovember 04, 2012

For F-Zero, Nintendo could take a look at recent racing games from Codemasters, Playground Games (Forza Horizon), and others to expand on the sci-fi racing of Mute City. F-Zero GX already has a lot of customization and paint options so a Wii U successor can take advantage of the GamePad's touch screen. Finally, it would be nice to play an F-Zero game online.

PlugabugzNovember 04, 2012

To me those statements on F-Zero sound like a reverse confirmation that they simply have not been willing to even try.

AuggeyNovember 04, 2012

I remember after this year's E3 conference, major sites like IGN were asking, "Where's the new Zelda?" It enraged me so much, we just GOT a new Zelda! I wished someone had just asked, "Where's the new F-Zero?! The new Star Fox, Metroid, or Earthbound?!" I really blame interviewers like this who bring up the wrong questions. It's no wonder Miyamoto is surprised when people want new games other than Mario and Zelda.

rlse9November 04, 2012

Quote:

"I thought people had grown weary of it."

Funny how that hasn't stopped them from releasing Mario Party game after Mario Party game or from releasing virtually the same Animal Crossing game multiple times.

Quote:

Miyamoto said he felt there was not much room left for evolution of F-Zero, asking the series fans "What do you want that we haven't done before"?

If this is their logic, why do Mario Kart and the NSMB games continue to be released?  Not that I don't like them because I do enjoy both series, but neither have really added anything all that new in quite some time, no more evolution than would be possible with F-Zero.

I'm sure that this has more to do with sales of the series than anything else, which is fine, Nintendo is a company and their objective is to make money, but saying there's nothing new to do with it seems like a stretch to me.

joshnickersonNovember 04, 2012

Quote from: rlse9

I'm sure that this has more to do with sales of the series than anything else, which is fine, Nintendo is a company and their objective is to make money, but saying there's nothing new to do with it seems like a stretch to me.

Considering that both the last few F-Zero games, as well as the cartoon bombed in Japan (in fact, they only dubbed half of a season into English before giving up on that), it's no wonder Nintendo is wary of making another installment.

Plus, it seems to be more polite to say that rather than "Well, none of you idiots bought the damn games, so it's your fault".

Stark_NebulaNovember 04, 2012


I find it funny how Nintendo, back in the early 2000s, handed it's IPs to everyone (less Mario and Zelda). Metroid was lucky to have stuck with Retro, and Kirby was always mostly a HAL Labs project. But Starfox and F-Zero got the shitty end of the stick. Starfox core gameplay was altered, F-Zero handheld versions were godawful, and GX had only decent sales. Then they come at us saying "oh, no one liked them" when no duh! They sucked compared to the originals. So don't come saying we don't want them! Make a masterpiece with your own hands rather than throwing them at random developers. :|


the asylumNovember 05, 2012

This is beyond disappointing. You don't need to do anything new with F-Zero. F-Zero is already perfect, there is no need to screw around with it. At all.

It's bewilderingly simple. Copy/Paste GX's engine, add stuff like track editors, online play and share, and other polishers of the like.

The fact that they still have no idea how to make new F-Zero, even with a more traditonal controller in the WiiU, seriously makes me have my doubts on the WiiU's future.

Luigi DudeNovember 05, 2012

Well Miyamoto's comments are correct.  GX was considered to be perfection of the F-Zero gameplay by many fans and critics and yet it only sold a few hundred thousand, which made it a failure because of the huge budget it had.  Unlike Star Fox were lower sales could be blamed on poor games, GX didn't have that excuse which points heavily to people not being interested in games like it anymore no matter how good they are.

This is why Nintendo is in a tricky situation with F-Zero since they know many of the remaining fans want a sequel to GX, but there just isn't an audience big enough to justify the budget a GX sequel would cost.  It also doesn't help the last two GBA F-Zero games sold beyond terrible, which shows making a low budget sequel isn't a sure thing either.

They could make an HD remake of GX for Wii U, upscaling the graphics, adding online play and maybe a track editor using the GamePad. This wouldn't require too much of a budget, would placate series fans, and could be sold for a budget price, likely increasing sales.

They should pair a few good designers with Shin'en.

TrueNerdNovember 05, 2012

As much as I want to see a new IP from Retro, I also really want to see a new HD Metroid Prime from them. That alone would sell me on a Wii U.

Pixelated PixiesNovember 05, 2012

I'm kind of with TrueNerd. A HD Metroid Prime game would in all likelyhood force me to buy a Wii U. My bank account would be around £350 lighter and there would be nothing I could do to stop it.

Ian SaneNovember 05, 2012

I think the idea of there being no where else to go with a series is a valid reason to not continue it.  I would prefer if some series quit while they were ahead instead of trudging on for too long and damaging their legacy.  But if Nintendo is going to say this, then they have to follow it.  I could easily say the same thing about Mario Kart but they have no problem churning those out.  Ah, but that series is a big seller.  So really this "reason" is an outright lie.  Saying "what more can we do with it?" sounds better than "it doesn't sell enough for us to continue milking it."

What is annoying is that I don't think F-Zero really is completely tapped out.  We don't even have an online F-Zero.  Plus the N64 game had a random track generator that GX did not have and the 64DD had a track editor that never made it out of Japan.  Realistically Nintendo could make a new F-Zero with online play and a track editor and it would have an artistic justification to exist.  Now after that, it would probably be done but I think the series has one more entry in it.

Regarding sales, GX is a Gamecube game.  Every Gamecube game sold like piss compared to the big Wii hits.  The whole system underachieved and that has a ripple effect on every game released on it.  And having THREE F-Zero games on the GBA was just a stupid instant-fail idea.  Why the fuck would we need a whole trilogy of racing games on one system?  I didn't buy GP Climax because the game itself was POINTLESS.  I already had a handheld F-Zero game for my GBA.  Am I seriously going to pay full price for a new set of tracks?  The series shouldn't be cancelled because of a boneheaded decision on Nintendo's part.  They released two games that were completely unnecessary.  But there is no Wii U F-Zero game and there wasn't a Wii one so such a game would not be unnecessary.

TJ SpykeNovember 05, 2012

Being on GameCube doesn't have anything to do with it, Nintendo had 19 first-party GameCube games sell over 1 million copies. With GX's budget, and selling only a few hundred thousand copies, it can be hard to justify spending the money on a new one. Blame your fellow gamers for the lack of a new F-Zero, I was pissed when I paid $54 ($50 plus tax) for GX and then they dropped the price to $20 less than a week later. Nintendo spent a lot of money on GX and promoted the hell out of it, and it didn't sell as well as they hoped.

As for a trilogy of racing games on one system, Sony released 3 Wipeout games on the PlayStation. The PSP got a whopping 7 Need for Speed games in a 6 year period.

PlugabugzNovember 05, 2012

Quote from: Luigi

Well Miyamoto's comments are correct.  GX was considered to be perfection of the F-Zero gameplay by many fans and critics and yet it only sold a few hundred thousand, which made it a failure because of the huge budget it had. 

GX flopped here, mainly because they released it a week before Mario Kart Double Dash.

TJ SpykeNovember 05, 2012

Well, 2 weeks. But even so, I question how much that impacted sales.

Quote from: Ian

I think the idea of there being no where else to go with a series is a valid reason to not continue it.  I would prefer if some series quit while they were ahead instead of trudging on for too long and damaging their legacy.  But if Nintendo is going to say this, then they have to follow it.  I could easily say the same thing about Mario Kart but they have no problem churning those out.  Ah, but that series is a big seller.  So really this "reason" is an outright lie.  Saying "what more can we do with it?" sounds better than "it doesn't sell enough for us to continue milking it."

What is annoying is that I don't think F-Zero really is completely tapped out.  We don't even have an online F-Zero.  Plus the N64 game had a random track generator that GX did not have and the 64DD had a track editor that never made it out of Japan.  Realistically Nintendo could make a new F-Zero with online play and a track editor and it would have an artistic justification to exist.  Now after that, it would probably be done but I think the series has one more entry in it.

Regarding sales, GX is a Gamecube game.  Every Gamecube game sold like piss compared to the big Wii hits.  The whole system underachieved and that has a ripple effect on every game released on it.  And having THREE F-Zero games on the GBA was just a stupid instant-fail idea.  Why the fuck would we need a whole trilogy of racing games on one system?  I didn't buy GP Climax because the game itself was POINTLESS.  I already had a handheld F-Zero game for my GBA.  Am I seriously going to pay full price for a new set of tracks?  The series shouldn't be cancelled because of a boneheaded decision on Nintendo's part.  They released two games that were completely unnecessary.  But there is no Wii U F-Zero game and there wasn't a Wii one so such a game would not be unnecessary.

Nintendo can sell 10 million copies of a Mario Kart game without even trying; no matter how little there is left to do creatively they'd be stupid not to do that. Games can have a financial reason to exist or a creative reason to exist. Ideally, you want to have both, but one can be good enough under the right circumstances. Miyamoto seems to be saying that F-Zero has neither, which you may not agree with, and I don't, but comparing it to Mario Kart doesn't make sense.

TJ SpykeNovember 05, 2012

Games always need to have a financial reason to exist, it's hard for any publisher to justify releasing a game that won't make back the money spent on it.

lolmonadeNovember 05, 2012

I'm calling baloney on the F-Zero comments.  If Nintendo cared about innovating their game series that much, then they wouldn't have had the last 3 iterations of MarioKart be so similar.  They could literally keep the gameplay mechanics exactly the same from GX, come up with some new tracks, and slap a new name on it and it would satisfy most fans of the series.

This is all about the $$ that Nintendo isn't making enough of from F-Zero.  Makes me sad, really, because it's a depressing indication of what I can expect on the Wii U for my favorite racing series.

TJ SpykeNovember 05, 2012

If a company isn't making money on a game, there is little reason too make a sequel (especially since the goal of a company is to make profit). The Mario Kart games always sell millions, the last F-Zero game failed to even make a profit. If the last F-Zero game had done well, they would have kept making them.

lolmonadeNovember 05, 2012

Quote from: TJ

If a company isn't making money on a game, there is little reason too make a sequel (especially since the goal of a company is to make profit). The Mario Kart games always sell millions, the last F-Zero game failed to even make a profit. If the last F-Zero game had done well, they would have kept making them.

....I understand this as someone with a business background, but when it comes to video games, I'm a consumer first, business analyst second. 

Consumer me isn't happy about the fact that the Nintendoland video game may be the only iteration of F-Zero we see on the system, because as much as I love GX, i'm ready for a new game, even if it is just a glorified level pack.

Serious Business me understands why they keep on milking their cash cows, but they're going to eventually water down the milk if they're not careful.

Ian SaneNovember 05, 2012

Of course it makes financial sense to make new Mario Kart games.  But that just doesn't let them pull the "we've done all we could with the concept" card.  Sorry, Nintendo, you clearly don't practice that so you can't use it as an excuse.  If you want to say "F-Zero doesn't sell enough" that at least will ring true, though it doesn't look good.

Got a news tip? Send it in!
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement