Author Topic: BUILDING THE LOVE AFFAIR BETWEEN GAME AND GAMER  (Read 2531 times)

Offline MODE_RED

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
BUILDING THE LOVE AFFAIR BETWEEN GAME AND GAMER
« on: August 01, 2004, 02:47:54 PM »
In my design philosophy, the videogame experience should be analogous to two people in love. They should be about the ultimate marraige between your games and your gamers.

There's you, feeling sad, angry, lonely, bored, maybe even happy and wanting to amplify that feeling. Maybe you are searching for something new or something that allows you to express your creativity, individuality or mental prowess. Maybe you want to escape into a fantasy world where people need and love you or you can do  worthwhile things. There's a hero inside of you dying to be set free. In other words, you have some sort of a longing to play a videogame.

Then there's the game, all ready for gamers to fall in love with it. It puts ads on TV, in magazines, and on the internet. It waits around and your videogame store hoping that you'll pick it up and take it home for some indulgent love making.

First, one way or another, you meet, and the game turns YOU on.

And you turn the game on in kind. So the love affair begins right? Not exactly. In a perfect world, relationships would all be wonderful love affairs that lead to wonderful marraiges. In the real world, relationships, like videogame experiences are undeniably "hit or miss". Everyone is looking for "THE ONE" that will make them happy. What are qualities of "THE ONE"?

Here are a few:

1. Noone wants a lover with barriers built around their hearts. Gamers don't want videogames with barriers built up around the fun. They want the game to fill a void, to make them happy, to challenge them but not discourage them. They don't want to spend all their time filling in the game's void and making the game happy. The balance between give and take must be well established. THE BARRIERS TO THE FUN SHOULD BE EASY TO OVERCOME.

2. The love of your life must be EASY TO GET IN TOUCH WITH.

Easy to dial-up the fun!

This means your concept must be easy to grasp, the controls easy to pick-up and the goals easily understood. Developers, how long from when you turn the game on should it take for your gamers to grasp the concept, controls and goals? I say as long as you want, as long as the journey is fun and rewarding from the beginning.

3. Everyone wants someone they can "Become One With", or B.O.W to, who does the same back. They want someone who responds well, who they can communicate well with. They want someone who listens, who understands, who gives as much to the relationship as they do. They want someone who is willing to serve them, and deserves to be served. Deep down, people want the same from their videogames. Poor visual cues and storytelling are like poor communication. Poor controls are like a unresponsive lover -a lover it seems you can never satisfy no matter how hard you try.

A game that BOW's to you is a game that is going to take your commands and exceed your expectations, because it is trying to win your heart. This game wants to become one with you. It's going to learn about you and from you, just as much as you do the game.

Developers, how long should it take from when your gamers turn your game on, to the point where the feel this love affair brewing, that they might have found the one, that they are falling in love with your game. How long can you sustain this quality level of fun? Try to make this most immediate. Remove those barriers! Remember the game must love the gamer from the very beginning.

Communication between "partners" should be second-nature. It should be a true union. A loving give-and-take relationship with the right amounts of challenge and reward.

Developers, we should want gamers 2 fall in love with THEIR gaming experiences, not OUR feature lists. Let's not forget we're gamers too. But don't get stuck in your own dreams. What'd be special about dreams if we're all forced 2 dream the same thing? MODE RED

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
RE:BUILDING THE LOVE AFFAIR BETWEEN GAME AND GAMER
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2004, 04:36:40 PM »
I just downloaded the game where you stalk girls

how do you feel about this?

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2004, 05:05:12 PM »
I'm pretty sure that that is NOT what that hole in the disk is for.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 05:42:59 PM »
How risque.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2004, 06:14:16 PM »
He's strokin'!
Hey, kid! I’m a computer! Stop all the downloadin’! Help computer!

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
RE: BUILDING THE LOVE AFFAIR BETWEEN GAME AND GAMER
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2004, 08:06:57 PM »
hmmm i have a girlfriend now...no wonder i dont play games so often...though i kinda want to beat aloto f them..i dont have the ambition to try...
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2004, 08:51:19 AM »
Ha ha, strokin'.
Juvenille humour aside, that's an interesting way of looking at it.  Of course, one issue developers face more and more is what is a barrier to the fun?  Many developers have decided that challenge is a barrier to fun, most games are a lot easier than they were 15 years ago.  Most hardcore gamers completely disagree with this philosophy and look for games like Viewtiful Joe or Ikaruga which offer fun in the form of a high challenge level.  But everyone has a different tolerance level.  Games that I find way too hard to be fun are too easy in other people's eyes (Rogue Leader).  Games that I find "just right" would probably leave other people very frustrated (Super Mario Sunshine). I guess some barriers are easier to lift than others.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2004, 03:31:36 PM »

hmmm i have a girlfriend now...no wonder i dont play games so often...though i kinda want to beat aloto f them..i dont have the ambition to try...

Ahh, ThePerm, youth is grand.   You will soon find out women will kill you faster than a bullet.  Then you'll be back to beating games instead of, well, you know....

P.S.  That is not anti woman, its actually showing how men are controlled by woman at every angle.  HA!

"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2004, 02:39:13 AM »
No.  Not at all, man.
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2004, 09:33:45 AM »
No, the Omen is correct.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2004, 11:30:06 AM »
I was talking to Red.   BTW, thanks to TVMan, I think I found next fake you-know-what last night.  lol...
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42