Author Topic: Nintendo DS Revealed  (Read 13770 times)

Offline Robert

• PGC Staff
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Nintendo DS Revealed
« on: July 27, 2004, 10:51:24 PM »
The DS goes official....grab a first look at the final hardware inside.

More Than 120 Games in Development Worldwide for Nintendo's New Game Platform

July 28, 2004 - In preparation for the launch of Nintendo DS(TM) in North America and Japan later this year and Europe in Q1 2005, Nintendo today announces major global developments for the innovative dual-screen, wireless, hand-held video game system.

Nintendo DS, originally chosen as the code name, has been selected as the official product name. The Nintendo DS name evokes the idea of a portable system with "dual screens," providing the rationale for the final name. The hardware also has been redesigned to sport a slimmer, sharper look. The retooled Nintendo DS features a thinner, black base and an angular platinum flip-top cover. The face buttons and shoulder buttons are larger, and some have been reconfigured for optimum use. The unit includes a new storage slot for the touch screen's stylus, and the speakers now broadcast in stereo sound, with or without headphones.

"The Nintendo DS will change the future of hand-held gaming," says Satoru Iwata, president of Nintendo Co., Ltd. "Dual screens, chat functions, a touch screen, wireless capabilities, voice recognition - these abilities surpass anything attempted before, and consumers will benefit from the creativity and innovation the new features bring to the world of video games."

Software companies worldwide have more than 120 Nintendo DS games in development. Nintendo alone is developing more than 20 titles, and in excess of 100 companies have signed on to create games for the new system.

"The innovative functions make Nintendo DS a superior game device, while the chat feature and ability to detect other DS units make it a social device as well," says Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo of America's executive vice president of sales and marketing. "We've figured out the magic of what makes portable game play so attractive to consumers. We've defeated nine challengers and once again we're prepared to win."

Nintendo will announce the launch date, price and game lineup for Nintendo DS at a later date.

Nintendo DS

Click for large image of open Nintendo DS (148k)
Click for large image of closed Nintendo DS (96k)

Robert Graves
Staff Writer
http://www.planetgamecube.com

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
RE: Nintendo DS Revealed
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004, 11:34:07 PM »
MEGAT0N!
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline seven_chaos

• View Profile
RE:Nintendo DS Revealed
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2004, 12:00:27 AM »
Very Hott!  Very Hott indeed!

I do believe it is much sexier than that PSP.
"Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all run around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music..." - Kristian Wilson, CEO, Nintendo

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2004, 12:14:48 AM »

In preparation for the launch of Nintendo DS(TM) in North America and Japan later this year and Europe in Q1 2005

They forgot to mention Australia.

Offline - NintendoFan -

• hay sup dudez i liek teh nintendo
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2004, 12:38:59 AM »
The only thing I don't like about it is the fact that the power button is two close to the D-Pad, at one point I could slip and hit it. Other then that much better looking.

Offline Kirby_PopStar

• Touches Nintendo DS at night.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2004, 12:39:12 AM »
Ooh... this is big... VERY big news...

At E3, I was able to play the Nintendo DS and everything. A few things I noticed about the Nintendo DS was the fact that...

A. The D-Pad and Buttons were VERY small. Ridiculously small.
B. The Power Button was on the same side as the gameplay buttons... you'd accidently shut it off while playing!
C. Seemed really bulky, and not very sleek. (Sorry!! ^_^;; )
D. Where are the damned stereo speakers?
E. There is no place to store the stylus!

Looks like Nintendo caters to my every desire.
Famicom Commemorate -- Coming Soon!

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2004, 12:44:43 AM »
Nintendo Fan, I think that you'd probably need to hold the button to power down just like with a phone.  We'll find out for sure, but I doubt they'd make a huge oversight like that.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2004, 01:00:54 AM »
I don't know about you guys, but my tenure as a gamer has given the required coordination to not accidently hit a power button while playing a game.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Jale

• BURN BABY BURN
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2004, 01:03:27 AM »
This is Nintendo listening to it's people.

We do need different colours for the system though! I think it would look nice in red.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2004, 01:48:29 AM »
We'll probably see thousands of differentcolors for this, 90% of which are Japan exclusive...

Offline CHEN

• These peas taste AWESOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2004, 02:17:26 AM »
Slick indeed.

The only thing that I would love to see is if the action buttons are in a different colour, SNES style. I'd get confused which button to press. It's like the PS controller with their damn triangle etc. You know some PSOne rhythm games where you have to press the right button on the right time? Well, if the colour I had to press was blue, I accidently pressed square because it's blue, but it's wrong! Damn you Konami.

Offline joshnickerson

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2004, 03:24:29 AM »
I'll hold out for either a blue one, or perhaps a limited edition SNES style DS? (you know they're thinking about it)

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2004, 04:14:15 AM »
Dammit Pro666, everytime i see your avatar of Daisy, I can't stop staring......

Much like the way it is with the new DS.
Looking HOT!
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline Renny

• Satin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2004, 04:46:16 AM »
Damned crotch shot....

Oh, the DS. This is obviously much sleeker. The lid is kind of wonky, but I'm just being a bitch now. Hopefully the chat comment was hinting at it being bulit-in, but I won't hold my breath.

And I'm going to have to be the devil's advocate on the speakers. Stereo speakers on such a small device are utterly worthless. We're just going to end up with games that have an exaggerated stereo mix, even worse than TV. Maybe most games will have a 'headphones' setting.
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2004, 05:19:15 AM »
Just...wow...Very pretty...I never expected such a interesting change in "packaging" such as this...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2004, 05:49:29 AM »
I agree with Chen on the buttons.  In fact, I wish someone would revive Nintendo's simple and elegant SNES solution to telling buttons apart: make some rounded ones and some bowl-shaped ones.  After an hour or two of playing I never had to look at my Super NES controller again to figure out which button to press.  Every time I play an Xbox or a PS2, I spend half of my time looking down to figure out what I need to push.  I'm sure I'd get used to them eventually if I owned one of those systems, but I've played both quite a bit with friends, I shouldn't still have to look down all the time.

Stereo speakers are a little pointless on this system, but I don't think they'll do any harm.  Maybe some developers will overdo the stereo, but I don't think it will be an issue for most games.  And they do make it look fancier.

Definitely an improvement, but honestly, I don't care, I would have played it in any form.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Chode2234

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2004, 05:49:50 AM »
Does it have a built in headphone jack?   i hate that my SP doesn't.  I can't tell from the pictures so perhaps someone who knows or played one at E3 can tell me.  Thanks.
Wii:  0279 2707 3253 3306

Offline billypw

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2004, 05:50:48 AM »
if ya'll change the brightness/contrast on the 2 pics you can see that the cart slot is in the center of the bottom of the DS. to the left of it looks like the volume control slider, and on the right of it there are 2 thingies, one which looks like the headphone input and another connection slot.

Offline Bartman3010

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2004, 05:58:16 AM »
The Power button is like on the Neo Geo Pocket Color. Its a good idea, and I never accidentally hit the Power button instead of the pause button.

Pretty cool looking.
- Bartman

Mario Kart DS - 111728-668174
Metroid Prime Hunters - 3866-1460-2555
Tetris DS - 105680-429364

(Send PM if interested, you probably arent)
Better yet, check out #mariokartds on Esper.net, featuring the FriendCodeBot!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2004, 06:01:21 AM »

Originally posted by: Chode2234
Does it have a built in headphone jack?   i hate that my SP doesn't.  I can't tell from the pictures so perhaps someone who knows or played one at E3 can tell me.  Thanks.

Yes, it does...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline HyuugaYuurei

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2004, 06:26:43 AM »
this is really cool I can't wait til its released I'll be the first in line when pre-orders start

btw, I think this system can be seen as nintendo's tribute to the late Gunpei Yuokoi's(I hope I spelled that right) game and watch. great job big N

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2004, 06:34:06 AM »
Still no analog stick.  :-(

But otherwise, it's awesome.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Shagam

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2004, 07:28:36 AM »
I think it looks really sweet. Should be nice, too- I did all that work a few months ago to convince all my friends that the DS was worth getting, and that was with the old design. This is a no-brainer, now. I can't wait...it just looks so slick that PSP no longer has that big of a lead on the DS in terms of style. That was one of the biggest things to me that came out of E3 (and not just me): the PSP was damn fine looking, especially in comparison. But now, not so much. Awesome.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2004, 07:31:18 AM »
I like it but then I didn't really think the original design was all that ugly.  This looks much better though and I hope idiots like the Gamespy staff who think the PSP will be more successful because it looks sleeker will f*cking shut-up now.

I'm a little concerned about the power button as well though if you have to hold it down it should be fine.  I don't know why they didn't just go with a switch like the GBA has though.  There is no way at all that someone will accidently hit a switch thinking it's a button.

Two pics aren't enough!  I want MORE!  I want to be able to see this thing from all angles.

Does anyone else think that this design lends itself well to a retro Super NES model like the NES GBA SP?  That would be swank though they probably wouldn't release it for a while and it would be hard to wait.

Offline 3rdrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2004, 07:46:11 AM »

Originally posted by: couchmonkey
Every time I play an Xbox or a PS2, I spend half of my time looking down to figure out what I need to push.  I'm sure I'd get used to them eventually if I owned one of those systems, but I've played both quite a bit with friends, I shouldn't still have to look down all the time.

I have that exact same problem.

The whole DS redesign kinda came out of nowhere. I wasnt expecting it to happen anyway

oh and Bill. When i got to that Ironing Board part in TOS my expression was the same    O_O
Fuzzy eybrows!