Author Topic: Pokemon in a Mario Game?  (Read 4398 times)

Offline MegaJbomb

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Pokemon in a Mario Game?
« on: July 17, 2004, 03:43:00 PM »
There's a pokemon in an old Mario game long before there was pokemon!  In Super Mario Bros. 2, the bird with the flying carpet first seen on 1-2 and in various other levels is the pokemon, Pidget.  If you beat the game and view the character credits, it'll show Pidget.  Pretty neat huh?  Wonder if there are any other pokemon appearing in other mario or nintendo games that we haven't even noticed yet.
Sometimes I sit still, I think about all that has happened and what's to come.  I'm afraid, yet excited.  Will the future bring me joy and happiness, love and laughter, or hate and sorrow, loneliness and dispair?  So far I have seen all these come and go and something tells me there's more yet to co

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: Pokemon in a Mario Game?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2004, 04:02:26 PM »
Actually it's Pidgit from what I recall, but yeah the similarity is eerie, isn't it?

Yoshi is a pokemon
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Mumei

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2004, 05:18:04 PM »
I hope you're joking about that second part T_T.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2004, 05:55:11 PM »
You're no fun...

Offline Mumei

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2004, 06:02:25 PM »
Yes, I'm an ***hole, didn't you know ?

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2004, 08:03:47 PM »
What?  When did Pidget become a Pokemon?  O_o
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Mumei

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2004, 08:32:51 PM »
Maybe he meant Pidgeot?

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2004, 08:34:27 PM »
Or Pidgey...It's easy to mix the names up...

Offline anubis6789

• famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space
    • View Profile
RE:Pokemon in a Mario Game?
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2004, 09:13:34 PM »
Hey Bill, are you refering to that old EGM (or was it EGM²/Expert Gamer/Game Now/whatever, still the same company so it does not really matter) Aprils fool joke?

This is in regards to the Yoshi comment.
"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not; a sense of humor to console him for what he is." - Francis Bacon

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2004, 09:40:25 PM »
No, EGM copied me...

A friend and I came up with the "conclusion" that Yoshi was a Pokemon soon after creature catching game was released... ^_^

Offline joshnickerson

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2004, 05:25:41 AM »
Pidgey evolves into Pidgeotto, which then evolves into Pidgeot. ^_^

Offline Stimutacs Addict

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2004, 08:29:46 AM »
people still play Pokemon?

the games got too advanced for me

.. that and im waiting for the mmorpg
I'll shut up now...

Offline Mumei

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2004, 08:48:45 AM »
You'll have to keep waiting =(... Though I could see a Pokemon MMORPG easily becoming the best-selling MMORPG ever... If Nintendo could find a way to at least break even, I think it would be a good idea.  Even though they won't make money off of that game, the game will get people to buy the system, who would probably buy more games that would make Nintendo money in the long run.... I think.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2004, 09:38:35 AM »
Don't worry, I'm sure Ninty will find out a way to create a cheap way to create an online server so gamers won't have to pay fees sometime in the future...

Offline Hybrid Hunter

• First title that's onrine
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2004, 03:11:50 AM »
A Pokemon MMORPG would be a killer game for Nintendo, and i sure hope they know it as well.
As for pokemon in Mario, wonder if there are any more in them games....

Offline Draygaia

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2004, 09:33:01 AM »
There were a lot of mini-games with creatures that Nintendo gathered to become pokemon.  Pokemon Channel the game is really for kids but if you play it long enough you'll see the mini-games that have the creatures.
www.chickenpatrol.com  Don't just eat meat.  Eat chicken.

Offline Mumei

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2004, 09:40:30 AM »

Originally posted by: Bill
Don't worry, I'm sure Ninty will find out a way to create a cheap way to create an online server so gamers won't have to pay fees sometime in the future...

I don't believe that it will ever be cheap enough not to have any fees... The fees are what makes it possible to even have the servers running...

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2004, 09:58:13 AM »
I want a fricken pokemon mmo on the ds...how unbelievably awesome woudl that be.  Too bad not enough people will have access to wifi to make nintendo ever do it.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2004, 10:00:21 AM »
Servers aren't that expensive to maintain, you can have a free online service provided your games sell well (ask Blizzard). Of course, a persistent world will take more than just servers to maintain, GMs and the like, but if you had a matchmaking service only (like Gamespy) the server costs would be neglectible and you could easily recoup them with game sales.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2004, 10:40:12 AM »
I played Diablo 2 and LOD for years (hence my forum name) but i dont touch games with online fees, and i believe a pokemon MMORPG would kill evercrack in sales especially in japan (pokemon fire red and leaf green already sold 2.5 million in japan)
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2004, 10:58:50 AM »
I don't mind the idea of a Pokemon MMO but I would like to see a decent single player 3D Pokemon RPG first.  Collosseum's "RPG mode" was total crap and I would like to see it done right before Nintendo goes into the multiplayer online realm.

Though really if you think about it a Pokemon MMO would be full of LITTLE KIDS.  Or more specifcally little brats that we would not want to play with.  I think it would be better if they made a single player RPG that had an online Pokemon League mode that allowed you to trade and battle Pokemon with other people.  Basically it would be the same as the link cable functions in the Gameboy games but online.  That realistically would be much easier and cheaper for Nintendo to make (essentially it's basic match-making) and wouldn't need fees.  And we could limit ourselves to battling with friends instead of wandering around a world full of brats.

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2004, 11:10:49 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
I don't mind the idea of a Pokemon MMO but I would like to see a decent single player 3D Pokemon RPG first.  Collosseum's "RPG mode" was total crap and I would like to see it done right before Nintendo goes into the multiplayer online realm.

Though really if you think about it a Pokemon MMO would be full of LITTLE KIDS.  Or more specifcally little brats that we would not want to play with.  I think it would be better if they made a single player RPG that had an online Pokemon League mode that allowed you to trade and battle Pokemon with other people.  Basically it would be the same as the link cable functions in the Gameboy games but online.  That realistically would be much easier and cheaper for Nintendo to make (essentially it's basic match-making) and wouldn't need fees.  And we could limit ourselves to battling with friends instead of wandering around a world full of brats.

Odds are because of the absurdly large userbase for Pokemon, there would be multiple servers.

They could very easily make a server 18+ or something, one that would keep out all the LITTLE KIDDIES that would worry me as well.

Offline joshnickerson

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2004, 04:59:25 PM »
I think Ian Sane's got the right idea. All it'd really be is a chat room, probably close to that wireless room that's coming in FireRed and LeafGreen. I do think there needs to be some rigid rules and different servers for different age groups, not only to spare ourselves of little brats who'll drop out of a battle when it starts going bad for them, but to protect them as well. It's not hard to imagine some creepy guy preying on little kids by pretending to be a Pokemon player. That honestly could be what Nintendo's most afraid of about online gaming.

Offline Draygaia

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2004, 05:52:08 AM »
MMORPG sounds great but I'm not prepared to pay $10 a month.  The free alternative would be for Nintendo to give us the option to create our own worlds instead.
www.chickenpatrol.com  Don't just eat meat.  Eat chicken.

Offline OmniDistortion

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2004, 03:48:09 PM »

Originally posted by: Mumei
Yes, I'm an ***hole, didn't you know ?

No, you're a dumbass without the slightest sense of true humour.

Originally posted by: Syl

Originally posted by: Ian Sane

Odds are because of the absurdly large userbase for Pokemon, there would be multiple servers.

They could very easily make a server 18+ or something, one that would keep out all the LITTLE KIDDIES that would worry me as well.

It has never been done, and there would be no way to really prevent anyone from entering specific servers based on age. I would assume they all are from the credit information given, but of course anyone could access said PC and anyone who provided the funds could give their password to anyone else.