Author Topic: Tales of Symphonia on PS2: English version rumor  (Read 8673 times)

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Tales of Symphonia on PS2: English version rumor
« on: July 16, 2004, 11:43:47 PM »
Those fanboys at IGN are pretty insecure, aren't they?

The PS2 version of ToS isn't even out in Japan yet, but for some reason IGN-PS2 figured this was a good week to start up a rumor about a possible English version of it. (Gee, I wonder why?)

PS2 Confidential

It looks like they're speculating that "ToS is doing well, so obviously it'll be on the PS2". (As opposed to "ToS is doing poorly, so obviously it'll be on the PS2".)

Of course, we really do have Namco to thank for getting the PS2 fanboys worked up like this in the first place.  
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Tales of Symphonia on PS2: English version rumor
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2004, 04:34:48 PM »
Strange logic. But since when dealing with Nintendo has there been much logic shown?

At this rate XenoSaga II may see a 'Cube port. Oh wait, there's a better chance of being stuck by lightning on a sunny day.... </sarcasm>
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2004, 07:12:34 PM »
Fight it Namco, FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT.

Offline Mumei

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2004, 07:28:20 PM »
You know it really is ridiculous to call people who want a game for the system they own a fanboy T_T.  Would it be fair to call you a fanboy if you wanted a certain PS2 game for Gamecube?

As for the topic itself, I guess there is a good chance of a PS2 version, at least if Namco believes there is a demand.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:Tales of Symphonia on PS2: English version rumor
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2004, 07:30:40 PM »

As for the topic itself, I guess there is a good chance of a PS2 version, at least if Namco believes there is a demand.

Namco has already made a PS2 version of it, but SCEA has, at least for now, blocked its American release. They're doing the same thing with Killer 7.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2004, 07:36:06 PM »
Honestly, i think its best that the game does come out for PS2, if it sells very well on both systems, it means for a higher chance for the localization of Tales of Phantasia.

Offline Mumei

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2004, 07:47:59 PM »

Originally posted by: mouse_clicker

Namco has already made a PS2 version of it, but SCEA has, at least for now, blocked its American release. They're doing the same thing with Killer 7.

I'm aware of that.  I was referring to a domestic release (well domestic for people living in the States).

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2004, 07:50:53 PM »
Again, it's up to SCEA on that situation- I'm sure Namco would love to release ToS on the PS2 in America but can't because SCEA won't let them
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2004, 09:44:22 PM »
I guarantee you if it is released on the ps2 here, it won't sell near as well.  I'm pretty confident that Viewtiful Joe won't sell well either when it comes out.  (Except for maybe the dante crap they through in there).  IMO, publishers and developers are gonna need to step back and realize what the Nintendo gamers buy.  They can keep putting on the fps and sports games on the x-box and ps2, and *should* start releasing the, dare I say, artsy games on the Cube. (Or nintendo's next system)

Note: this goes for the american market, I know the PS2 is a whole other monster in Japan.

If that plan were to keep up, I guarantee you that all the systems would survive by themselves... that is until the current fad that is gaming wears off.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2004, 10:46:04 PM »

I guarantee you if it is released on the ps2 here, it won't sell near as well. I'm pretty confident that Viewtiful Joe won't sell well either when it comes out. (Except for maybe the dante crap they through in there). IMO, publishers and developers are gonna need to step back and realize what the Nintendo gamers buy. They can keep putting on the fps and sports games on the x-box and ps2, and *should* start releasing the, dare I say, artsy games on the Cube. (Or nintendo's next system)

There is a VERY large difference between a unique sidescrolling heavily stylized beat-em-up and a rather standard japanese RPG with an amazing battle system.  Mainly because the latter happens to be very very popular on a certain system that goes by the initials PS2.

Now, i agree that stuff like monkey ball, or most party games would easily sell better on cube regardless, and even some more platformers, or even things like Magic Pengel with its oddness.  But, I honestly do not see any way that Tales of Symphonia (or Baiten Kaitos) could sell better on cube if they were also released for the PS2.   Espicially with all the hype that Tales of Symphonia has somehow managed to grab.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2004, 10:36:12 AM »
So, there's ONE RPG the PS2 doesn't get and suddently they all go mad and want it on the PS2 as well? Are those people junkies or something? I wish more RPGs would get released on the GC and XB just so the Sony fanboys don't expect EVERY SINGLE RPG to get ported to their system. Though I'd love to see those third parties curse themselves if Nintendo and MS didn't supply a competitor for Sony...

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2004, 10:56:22 PM »
"Namco has already made a PS2 version of it, but SCEA has, at least for now, blocked its American release. They're doing the same thing with Killer 7. "

whenever I think of SCEA's blocks, I always think of when Nintendo did that whole 5-game a year limit on the NES.  Except this is 100 times more evil.

How come Cabela's Big Game Hunter 4, Big Mutha Truckers, and Leisure Suit Larry get a pass on their self-admitted "quality test," yet stuff like SNK fighters, Tales of ANYTHING, and Viewtiful Joe get blocked?

I think its time some companies rethink their priorities, when a corporation will not let them release games they probably worked a year on at the very least in favor of a hunting game which probably took 7 months at the very most.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2004, 11:47:59 PM »
The only rule SCEA applies is "Must have cool graphics". Their definition of "cool" is 3d and not cartoony.

Offline Urkel

• Reggie Fart-Aime
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2004, 07:48:28 PM »

Originally posted by: Deguello
whenever I think of SCEA's blocks, I always think of when Nintendo did that whole 5-game a year limit on the NES.  Except this is 100 times more evil.

Since when is giving Nintendo AAA quality exclusives on a silver platter evil?
"ROFS? Rolling on the floor... starving?"- Phoenix Wright

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2004, 10:09:42 PM »
"Since when is giving Nintendo AAA quality exclusives on a silver platter evil?"

eeehhh... Some might agree, but really they had no right to limit anything.  And it's evil because obviously this rule didn't apply to Nintendo.

BUT Bygones are bygones, AND quality stuff is being blocked just because it doesn't have hyper realistic deer movements like Cabela's Big Game Hunter 4, or Barbie Horse Adventure (Keeee-rist)
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2004, 10:54:09 PM »
The silver platter exclusives thing referred to SCEA rejecting games, which netted Nintendo and MS quite a few exclusives. VJ, ToS, K7, Metal Slug 3 (XB), etc.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2004, 07:43:44 AM »
I think that is derived from Sony's arrogant belief that it already has so many exclusives that it doesn't need anymore...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2004, 09:12:11 AM »
Bill: Ironing Board? Does she get that title after a nude scene? I mean, hot spring scenes with female characters complaining about breast sizes are pretty common in anime...

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2004, 09:22:53 AM »
"hot spring scenes with female characters complaining about breast sizes are pretty common in anime..."

And therefore it would fit in Tales...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Urkel

• Reggie Fart-Aime
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2004, 03:18:39 PM »
Oh, don't get me wrong. Sony rejecting quality games just because they don't have a "realistic" look is most certainly evil. But from a Nintendo owner's perspective, I think it's rather nice of them. For all we know, we may never have gotten TOS if Sony had a different attitude. Thanks for letting us have this awesome game, Sony!

If they want to piss off 3rd parties and drive them over to Nintendo, I say let them.

I'm curious as to how Sony fanboys react to SCEA's blocks. I mean, if NOA blocked some GTA game from coming to the Gamecube, 95% of the people here would be furious and would vow to never buy another Nintendo console ever again. Do Sony fans just shrug it off and go "Eh, who cares? It's probably a kiddy game anyway.", or does it bother them that they're getting screwed out of some excellent games just because Sony doesn't like the way it looks?
"ROFS? Rolling on the floor... starving?"- Phoenix Wright

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2004, 09:48:08 PM »
They just import, but I doubt they like having to do that. Nintendo was pretty open with the Gamecube, almost every game released in Japan for the thing was released in the west, too. Sony's behaviour might cost them the lead next time round (I think that was one of the reasons Nintendo lost to the PS1).

Offline MeddmaWamm

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2004, 07:11:42 PM »
I really don't care about ToS on PS2. ToS is already out here. What I'm excited about are ToD2 and ToR. I hope Namco's really considering releasing them.

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2004, 02:07:19 PM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
So, there's ONE RPG the PS2 doesn't get and suddently they all go mad and want it on the PS2 as well? Are those people junkies or something? I wish more RPGs would get released on the GC and XB just so the Sony fanboys don't expect EVERY SINGLE RPG to get ported to their system. Though I'd love to see those third parties curse themselves if Nintendo and MS didn't supply a competitor for Sony...

First thing I find it odd that Ruby_Onix started this thread when I had an identical thread already posted just a few spots below his...  Linky (or look just below his in Other Systems)

Second, KDR no Sony fans went all mad and demanded ToS.  The rumor section of PS2, has nothing to do with Sony fans, and the reason for the port was stated with business decisions as the reason.  You need to tame down your fanboyism a little.  Second, you stated that Sony rejected VJ and K7... those games happen to be part of the Capcom 5 that Capcom pledged as exclusives for GC, Sony had nothing to do with it.  

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2004, 03:50:26 PM »
Actually, I started my thread a week before you started yours. Check the date.

I didn't really want to say anything about it, because that would be rude, and it seemed that people had already finished commenting in my thread, while there were new posts being generated in yours.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2004, 07:09:08 PM »

Originally posted by: joeamis

Originally posted by: KDR_11k

Second, KDR no Sony fans went all mad and demanded ToS.  The rumor section of PS2, has nothing to do with Sony fans, and the reason for the port was stated with business decisions as the reason.  You need to tame down your fanboyism a little.  Second, you stated that Sony rejected VJ and K7... those games happen to be part of the Capcom 5 that Capcom pledged as exclusives for GC, Sony had nothing to do with it.

The Capcom 5 has long been dissolved, actually.  Capcom early on weaseled out of that stating that RE4 was the only contractual exclusive.  VJ and K7 ARE coming to the PS2, but Sony of America (SCEA) has AFAIK rejected VJ and K7 for a stateside release due to their art styles.  So unless SCEA isn't a part of Sony, they did have something to do with it.
Kiss the Cynic!