Author Topic: The most ANNOYING Zelda enemy ever  (Read 13563 times)

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: The most ANNOYING Zelda enemy ever
« Reply #75 on: July 18, 2004, 02:20:22 PM »
And how many times do I have to say that it's the mere point of a timed game that I dislike...Not to mention I'm not the kind of Zelda gamer that heads to the next dungeon automatically after completing one...Timed = no freedom...Zelda = freedom
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:The most ANNOYING Zelda enemy ever
« Reply #76 on: July 18, 2004, 03:47:38 PM »
How can you even say that when you've barely played the game? You know Shenmue? That game had oodles of freedom yet you still had to finish it by a specific date- the date was so far off, though, that I spent most of my time jacking around and still finished WAY before the deadline. You shouldn't let the simple notion off a time limit ruin the experience- that's just plain stupidity. It's an excuse not to play the game. Use the backwards Song of Time and then forget about the time limit altogether because it will never be a problem (and if it is you've got some issues). The only thing that happens at the end of the time limit is you go back to the first day anyway- I spent many of my 3 day cycles just running around the overworld attacking monsters, looking for hidden treasure, and completing dozens of sidequests for masks. You don't have to start the next dungeon immediately, you can roam around all you want! You're judging a game you haven't even played all the way through. You HAVE to beat this game- I don't care if you don't like it otherwise, but don't give me any of this time limit crap.  
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 18, 2004, 04:17:11 PM »
Wow, the best part of that game was turning into uber gorons and rolling around.  I probably did that for a good 6 or 7 hours.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 18, 2004, 04:27:47 PM »
"You shouldn't let the simple notion off a time limit ruin the experience- that's just plain stupidity."

No, it's gameplay taste...I simply DO NOT LIKE TIMED GAMES!  It's also a reason why I don't like the first Pikmin...Great idea, but it's timed...

"It's an excuse not to play the game."

Errr...Maybe if I wasn't a Zelda fan... =P

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 18, 2004, 04:43:23 PM »
Neh, you're just clinging to the "I don't like timed games" thing because you can't think of a legitimate reason to not play it. You're in the exact same predicament I was with Baten Kaitos, except I'm actually going to give that game a shot.

Suit yourself, Bill, but in my opinion Majora's Mask is the second best game ever made, second only to Ocarina of Time. Your loss.  
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Mumei

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 18, 2004, 07:20:27 PM »

Originally posted by: Bill
"You shouldn't let the simple notion off a time limit ruin the experience- that's just plain stupidity."

No, it's gameplay taste...I simply DO NOT LIKE TIMED GAMES!  It's also a reason why I don't like the first Pikmin...Great idea, but it's timed...

"It's an excuse not to play the game."

Errr...Maybe if I wasn't a Zelda fan... =P

If I remember correctly, the second Pikmin game isn't timed... I seem to remember hearing about that >_>.

And did you at least play MM enough to get the Fierce Diety Mask?  That was so much fun ^_^.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 18, 2004, 07:47:25 PM »
Heh, if I played enough to get the FD Mask then I would have finished it...

But I plan to go against my "hatred against timed games" someday so I can at least finish the game once...

(Pikmin 2 isn't timed, which is why I'm buying it ^_^)

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 18, 2004, 08:21:05 PM »
The timer in majoras mask is only a problem because I have to set aside so MUCH time if i want to play it, once you play the backwards song of time, its easily a good 3-4 hours before the timer runs out.  

Likewise, I don't understand the point of not liking timed games, i personally love them, gives me a deadline that i have to finish things by so i have a sense of urgency and therefore have to plan better.  Espicially if they throw random elements at me.

Oh, wait, you hate random stuff too (another thing i absolutely love).  You like having too much control man, sometimes control over every element takes so much away from the atmosphere....

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 18, 2004, 08:30:29 PM »
"Likewise, I don't understand the point of not liking timed games, i personally love them, gives me a deadline that i have to finish things by so i have a sense of urgency and therefore have to plan better."

It can be in any game, just not my Zelda...

And how control could take away from the atmosphere is beyond me... :\

Offline Mumei

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 18, 2004, 09:18:05 PM »
I don't think atmosphere and control are directly linked =/.  You can't make a blanket statement saying that more control gives better atmosphere or vice-versa.  Unless someone has an example where that actually works...

Offline Forte

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 19, 2004, 01:06:12 AM »
I think MM would have been better without the time limit, but it was a looooooong time with the Inverse Song of Time.  But in a dungeon, going through it while you get all the fairies, time could get away from you(especially in the Stone Temple).  I didn't like how you had to keep meeting people and how Spring was Winter again, the Gibdos are attacking Pamala's dad again, and all that crap.  I like getting credit for my heroics, but going back in time prevented that.  Overall, it was still a wickedly fun game that I still play today on the Collector's Disk for GC.  I wish they would have made a Master Quest version of it like they did with OoT(which was in fact...easier than the original).
"He who hesitates will be lost."

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 19, 2004, 05:31:50 AM »
I guess i should have stated that better then.
I'll juse majoras mask as an example, as the game has one of the best atmospheres of any game I've ever played, likewise, I was playing through the game all last week, so that its still fresh on the brain.  (I get tales today though! w00t!)

The 3 day time limit is made obvious throughout the whole game, earlier during the 3 days, people just ignore the moon hanging in the sky, the music in town is cheerful and happy, people just carry on with their normal lives.   However, as time goes on, the town music changes to become a little bit more frantic, and people start worrying about the moon thats about to hit them, Theres an argument in the mayors office about making people evacuate the town, certain people realize that nothing good is going to happen.
Then, on the night of the final day, the town is basicly barren except for a few select people, they're incredibly worried about the moon thats about to fall straight down on the town, the music is incredibly depressing and omninous, and it seems as though all has failed.  Of course, the issue is that all *HAS* failed if you haven't beat the game yet, so you have no choice but to repeat time, and hope to get things right next time.

I didn't mind having to "talk to everyone over again" because I rarely do so, you have to choose what your doing those 3 days and stick to it, you can't save everyone.  I liked that, kept the atmosphere higher, if you wanted to help someone, you had the chance, but not everyone can be helped.  Sure, the fact that you had to go and repeat a boss battle to save the land every single 3 days was a little taxing, but luckily the warp makes it much more manageable, and i really enjoyed all the boss fights with the exception of the damn fish.

The people in majoras mask change what they say depending on what day it is, they have certain actions depending on certain times, and were generally just far more *alive* than they were in any other zelda game.  The reason for this is because of the forced time system the game had, it allowed the atmosphere of the game to keep getting thicker and thicker as the crisis was about to befall the town.  Windwaker failed to have that atmosphere, so did OOT, because nothing seemed that rushed, that important, sure, ganon may rule the world.  but you can happily go and wait another few years before you have to fix it.  In Majoras Mask, if you sat around and don't get things done, the world is doomed.  How do you know its doomed?  You can see the signs all around you, the music, the people, the gigantic moon staring down at you that stretches all the way across the horizon.  It slowly gets closer, closer.... and then if you don't reset everything, you see it hit the town, and wipe out everyone.  

Even in Pikmin, the 30 day limit (far more than enough in my mind, i tend to beat the game before day 20) was just a slight sense of urgency, however, the 15 minute daily limit forced you to worry about what you can possibly do with your pikmin and get done before the time is gone.  When its approaching night-time, right before the 10 second counter shows up, you start getting worried about getting all of your pikmin back to the ship in time.  Part of the reason your so worried about the little guys is because of the cuteness miyamoto shoved into them, and you don't want to lose a single one.  If there was no time limit, you wouldn't have to do the mad dash back to the onions at the end of every day, and your emotional attachment to the little devils wouldn't be nearly as strong.

Having control over every single element of a game tends to remove some of the atmosphere, In Most RPG's, despite everything you do, you still end up failing the mission before you accomplish it, however, the sense of urgency and demise just isn't there because you know that, regardless of the meteor thats about to hit the planet, or the fact that theres some sort of god on the loose that wants to destroy everything... you have as long as you want to go and catch butterflies to try and get that final weapon.  Stuff like that, while keeping the gameplay better, does completely destroy the *omg were all gonna die* atmosphere, hell, most people in the game won't even notice that theres some gigantic being right outside their hometown, and just carry on like nothing has happened.  

Offline Mumei

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 19, 2004, 07:45:19 AM »

the game has one of the best atmospheres of any game I've ever played

I know... I loved the atmosphere that MM had 8).

Offline Toadette

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 21, 2004, 07:35:57 PM »
I never finished MM either.  The idea of having only three days to complete something really bugged me.  It made me feel too rushed and completing something and then later its like you never did anything.  I didn't enjoy it much, although I am a big Zelda fan...even though I have only played 3 games, ever since my dad introduced me to them, I can't stop playing them.
Currently Playing: LoZ: WW
Currently Watching: Starsky and Hutch
Currently listening to: Blink 182
Currently wanting to buy: Tales of Symphonia

Offline Caillan

• Token New Zealander
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 22, 2004, 12:22:25 AM »
Though I didn't mind them so much in ALttP, those giant hands were really annoying in OoT.

Well, I think I've ranted a few times about my love for MM on this board, so I won't go too off-topic again, I'll just say that to me, the 3 day limmit added more than it detracted. Syl has already managed to articulate my feelings regarding the limmit in more detail.