Author Topic: Need Help With Winamp  (Read 7894 times)

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Need Help With Winamp
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2004, 02:07:47 PM »
Goddammit Ninja, you make me want Winamp and I can't have it without going PC. And then I tried to download XMMS and when it finished it just disappeared. o_O I'll try again, cause I want to see the majesty of it. And yes, Metaphysical Man, the G5 is VERY powerful. It's kinda noisy at times, like when I'm burning CDs and opening like 40 applications at once, but it can handle them all well once they are open. It is a piece of computing art. ^_^ *strokes the G5 tower*

But yeah the Mac/PC debate has been heating up in recent years and it's really fun. Diamond processors you say? Heh heh heh Funny. I hope they work though. Twould be 73h n337.

And Bernie is not my name. You may call me Berny.

Oh, and Grey, your screenshot (omg dont wrory i wont tell teh super ^_^) link didn't work.
has 6 gmail invites. wants to rid himself of them. email for gmail.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
RE:Need Help With Winamp
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2004, 03:05:22 PM »
Yeah, sorry.  My University's Internet Access is down for a few days for maintenance.  Apparently, the city is having problems with the fiber lines or something.

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v291/grey_ninja/screenshot.png

Try that instead.    Winamp is simplistic in nature.  It does the job it needs to do, and nothing more.  If you want bells and whistles, you get plugins.  In the screenshot though, you can see the simple sorting algorithms it has.  Sort by path and filename is the one that I use the most.  I ignore ID3 tags for the most part, but my file names are usually quite reasonable and well sorted.  So I just right click on my music folder, (which has subdirectories for SPCs, PSFs, USFs, and MP3/OGG/MP2s), and Winamp queues up all my songs.  I sort them by path and filename, then turn on shuffle mode for good measure.  I'm set for about a month.

But yeah... the G5 is certainly quite a machine.  But to be honest, I would much rather have one of these babies powering my rig.  

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=12058&vpn=ADA3800AWBOX&manufacture=AM
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Metaphysical Spirit

• The Aggressive Coconut!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2004, 04:03:30 PM »
Heheh. All really nice. Sorry I have a friend named Bernie and it's out of habbit, Berny. Heh. Intel already has them working fine, but the probably is they don't feel it's stable enough to come out on the market anytime soon. They also have to "Grow" the artifial diamonds too, but they already have some working and they were shown off down here in Florida with this Technology Assembly at the convention place. Besides those type of problems, the main reason it's not consider stable is becuase when you get down to it, your computer is only as fast as your slowest part. Sure the Processor can handle extreme heats of over 200+ degrees, but not everything else can. Right now we are not done with the silicion though, so there isn't a need as of now. 3-6 years down from now.. maybe even sooner. So far, Everything is still keeping up with Murphy's Law. Just to clear that up in more detail. I already paid more than I should have no building my new computer almost a year ago, and I'm still in college.. so I'm just going to wait a few years when I get my degree and get into animation when I buy the top of the line computer.. So I really can't say what kind of computer my next one will be. I'll tell you one thing though, No matter where I go, My WinAmp is going to come with me!  
I'm aggresive, and I'm the rarest of the rare! Fear me Now! For I am....

THE AGGRESSIVE COCONUT!!!!!!!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2004, 11:52:53 PM »
Winamp's great. I installed an MDX plugin now I can throw the Cho Ren Sha 68k music files into my playlist...

Offline Ms.Pikmin

• Ow, my GOB!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2004, 07:14:04 AM »
Berny, Winamp IS available for us Mac users.  I waited a few days to see if our good friend Grey would remember that he gave me a link to a Winamp for Mac download less than a week ago, but it looks like that isn't going to happen.  So, here is a link for you.  Hope it helps.

*shakes head sadly at Grey*

You're slipping man.

http://allmacintosh.mirror.ac.uk/preview/206623.html  

Please note that this version is for 8.5 or later, but not for OS X.  I saw a version for 10.2.8, but for whatever reason can't find a link to it at the moment.

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2004, 07:32:48 AM »
omg lol thanx mspikmin ur teh angle all my loves r 4 u

I'll see if google can help me find the OS X version though.

And Grey Ninja doesn't slip. He just forgets sometimes. ^_^ Happens to the best of us. (omg shutup mspikmin ull mkae him go back to teh drak side!)

EDIT: Yeah, I have to find the OS X version cause whenever I interact with OS X (like right now for instance) the sound gets all choppy. I'll reserve any decision on whether or not I like it until then.

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2004, 07:58:20 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
Winamp's great. I installed an MDX plugin now I can throw the Cho Ren Sha 68k music files into my playlist...

Sweet, you can do that?  I never even thought about it.
Hell, I'm just amazed someone else plays Cho Ren Sha 68k.  That game has some great music, but it is very brutal (Level 6 boss = PAIN).  I recently found out something very important about it though.  It should be common knowledge though.
If you don't pick up a powerup, but instead go in the middle of the triangle without hitting any of them, they start spinning and you get *ALL 3* powerups at once.  Difficult to pull off if your getting shot at though ^_^

Anyway, thats a good idea, i gotta look for the MDX plugin cause cho ren sha sadly doesn't run on this computer, but i have it installed anyway.
-------------------------
MMD3 is a cool winamp skin, I'm using "EMP" myself, its simple, its elegant.  It loads faster than most, i just really like  it.  I have some plugins that make my MP3's sound better, I have a ton of visualization plugins incase i want something different.  I'm not a fan of the "classic" skins myself....

Does anyone actually use winamp for Video?  I personally found its video to be horrible compared to Divx or windows media player 9...  

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2004, 05:15:42 PM »
Syl, I personally use Winamp 2.95, but without the video playing stuff installed.    Winamp 5 is ok... but I don't really care for the bugginess of it, and it's a little slower than Winamp 2.  Besides, I honestly don't care about Winamp 3 skins at all.  2 does everything I want it to do.

I actually use WMP 9 to play all my video, thanks to the greatness of RealAlternative and QuicktimeAlternative.  I try to avoid Real and QT movies, but sometimes they are just unavoidable.

And yeah, I completely forgot about Winamp for Mac.  I have to say that from what I saw of it, I wasn't overly impressed though, and it seems to be discontinued anyways.  I would go for XMMS if I were you.  

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2004, 02:07:04 PM »
If you were me, you'd have a Mac and love it. And XMMS requires a lot of other downloads. I'm workin on it though. I'm workin on it.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2004, 03:00:47 PM »
Just stick the individual album playlists in the individual folders with the songs.

Offline MysticGohan24

• OUTSTANDING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2004, 08:55:37 PM »
I've been watching Hellsing and Love Hina through WinAmp Internet TV. I love them both, but is there a relation to Hellsing and Van Hellsing? They don't seem to be the one and same.

Maybe someone can clear this up?
What happens, happens ~Spike Cowboy bebop

Hey Shippo your village called, they're missing their idiot. ~Inuyasha

Offline Caillan

• Token New Zealander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2004, 11:27:36 PM »

I am aware that "we all don't like Macs.

Not true! I really don't understant the blaring hate for all things un-Microsoft that is stirred in the hearts of some Windows users comes from, but I know to ignore it. I have never heard anyone actually say much intelligent while splurting out the kind of crap that goes around other than not being able to run their favourite programs. After a few minutes on the GUI, people get used to it and generally like as well. People just hate things they don't understand, I guess.

Porting Winamp to Mac is like building pens to work in space. It losses what makes it good: its speed, efficiency and stability. XMMS is also very good, though I don't know about the Mac version either. Remember, if you possible can, use a frikkin pencil!

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2004, 10:26:19 AM »
Caillan, I figure that XMMS should work fine, given Mac OS X's UNIXie nature.  But of course, I haven't actually tried it myself. I am just hoping.    Pencils weren't used in the space program because it was feared that graphite would break off, and could potentially short out some of the electronics on the spacecraft.  It was a safety thing.  However, it was recently discovered that a regular ball point pen would work in space after all, so you aren't entirely wrong.  

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2004, 10:59:25 AM »
To me.. Why I chose to dislike the Mac is for a few reasons. One of the main reasons is that not everyone codes the same games and programs, and not being to run my favorite games and programs is a big thing. Another big thing for me is being able to look into my computer, have the most knowledge about it, and be able mess around with stuff and update it. I find it easier for things like this on a non-mac machine. It's not even anything non-Microsoft. I hate MS. I refuse to buy a XBox becuase of my hate towards MS. I switch off from Linux and Windows. I fully understand the Mac. It is a very stable machine, and like I said before.. The new G5 is the most powerful computer on the market, unless you build your own computer. I build my computers, I'd rather use AMD or Intel than anything else. I also work with Mac and PCs at my college when doing computer animation. Pro-Graphic cards won't work on a Mac, there for the rendering process will take forever. Also, I've had a PC all my life, going to a Mac right now just wouldn't be worth it. I also said earlier that I'm excited to see the fight between Macs and PCs. Just right now, Mac has nothing going for me that my PC can't do, besides ProTools (But I'm not a recording arts type of person to use that program). So it's not that I don't understand and consider the Mac, becuase in the future I might just buy one. I just get the most out of my dollar making my own Intel Machines.  

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2004, 11:13:39 AM »
I mostly agree with most everything you just said Metaphysical.  Except for one thing which just strikes me as wrong.

I also work with Mac and PCs at my college when doing computer animation. Pro-Graphic cards won't work on a Mac, there for the rendering process will take forever

That's grossly inaccurate.  I can see where having a nice 3D accelerator would help greatly in the design phase, where you are actually working with a 3D model in real time.  However, when the actual rendering comes in, I don't think which graphics card you have really bears any relevance.  It's ALL about the CPU power.  And that's something that a Mac will do FAR better than any PC given the vastly superior architecture.

Offline MysticGohan24

• OUTSTANDING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2004, 12:09:14 PM »
Heh, that old arguement about PC's & Macs.

I am, not naive as to see the advantage of either. There's a pro and con for both, as I believe Grey Ninja has pointed out. With Macs obviously having a better Architecture, but not having the ability to be as customizable as PC's and the steep price of Macs compared to PC's.

But Macs do have pleanty of power, and better OS, when compared to Windows, especially ME. God I hated that OS to hell and back. I much preferred XP compared to that buggy crap of OS, My New comp came with it. I'm satisfied with my Compaq 2.0 Ghz AMD Athlon XP 2400+ 768MB of Ram, 128MB agp Nvidia Geforce FX ultra. With my 48x CDRW and 16x DVD-Rom, I'm happy with it.

The problem with macs is that games do not frequent macs or take seriously longer to bring over to mac users. Perhaps the future will change iin that regards.

I've always thought about getting a Mac anyway, I hear the Jaguar OSX is one of the best OS's. Something I would really like.

But seriously, people should be happy with either. Getting both, if your willing. you will have the best of both worlds. it's all in taste, neither is bad. It's what you like and can do with either.

I won't pretend I understand everything about PC's and Mac's just asked Grey there

But I do have some knowledge of how thing's work and how to get everything I needed to work when adding new stuff to the motherboard and such

What happens, happens ~Spike Cowboy bebop

Hey Shippo your village called, they're missing their idiot. ~Inuyasha

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2004, 12:08:16 AM »
Ninja, Techinically we are both right. It does really stronly on a CPU, but here's were having a PRO-Graphics card, Far superer the top of the line Consumer Graphics Card.. really helps out. It takes hours to render a scene in a movie, but having a Pro card for animation seriously drops the time it takes to render. That way you can dump a lot of the memory and loading being used by the graphics on the card and all the other tasks like the software running the rending and it loading onto the computer are done on a CPU.

Either way you look at it, both machines have came a very far way. I mean hell, when Toy Story came out, the 77 minutes if animations requier 800,000 machine-hours to render. We've came a far way now, where we can do a job like that in weeks or less.