Author Topic: Why does Konami hate GC?  (Read 6109 times)

Offline theRPGFreak

• OVERLORD
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Why does Konami hate GC?
« on: June 11, 2004, 09:39:38 AM »
One company that I dont understand is Konami. They make tons of games on the GBA, but barely any GCN support. All I have seen from them are crappy Disney Sport games, and Twin Snakes which was done by Silicon Knights! Whats worse is after Castelvania sold poorly on the PS2, they decided that the next one will be on XBox's next system.WTF?! Nintendo fans love the series yet they basically refuse to satisfy the fans.
"I can't read...im not a loser."~Master Shake

Offline Darc Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:Why does Konami hate GC?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2004, 10:23:08 AM »
I don't understand Konami at all either. I mean the didn't even make an effort to push MSG:TS. The game has had absolutely no advertising. If they want to cost themselves money, let them. I really could care less at this point.

Darc Requiem
"Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding."

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
RE: Why does Konami hate GC?
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2004, 10:26:01 AM »
I hear they close their eyes and throw darts to decide who gets what game.

Now, the size of the dartboards and the scoring(console) regions are very questionable...

~~~~~

Iwata-san: "ROR!"
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2004, 10:32:22 AM »
Konami hates the Cube because their N64 games sold poorly so they decided before the Cube launched that the same situation would happen again and thus they shouldn't put much effort into Cube support.  Of course most of their N64 games were utter sh!t which would explain why they didn't sell but I suppose we can't expect a company to admit that their own product is of low quality.

In the videogame publishing world all games are equal and thus if one doesn't sell it's the userbase's fault.

Offline darknight06

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2004, 01:20:57 PM »
I remember the Konami of the NES, SNES-Genesis era and I don't even believe I can count the amount of great titles they used to come out with, LICENSED or original.  The N64-PS1 era comes around and while they still made their share of hits (MGS) I felt like they started slipping. This is especially true for the N64, where the only game on there where it seemed like Konami actually gave two craps for was ISS64. (unfortunately didn't play the rest though I heard they were all good)  Save for Castlevania 64.5 which I feel was OK at best the rest of their lineup was complete trash.  Now from this, they're gonna stereotype an entire userbase of gamers as not liking their games just because their N64 titles sold like crap despite the fact they have noone to blame but themselves?  As of late I've honestly come this close to saying the heck with Konami.  They've lost a good portion of their original talent to Treasure, and sadly I can count the amount of good games they've made since the late 90's with only one hand.

" I don't understand Konami at all either. I mean the didn't even make an effort to push MSG:TS."

From my understanding, they didn't exactly push the game so that they wouldn't take too much away from Snake Eater.  As far as I'm concerned, as much as I like the game I just have to ask, Why put SK through that if you really didn't intend for it be advertised or to sell?  I mean, it sounds like they just wasted SK's time and abilities.

As for putting the next one on X-Box next?  WTF indeed.  Why not port LOI to the cube and give it a shot there?

Offline Bartman3010

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2004, 03:40:12 PM »
I'm sure a console of FPS games would LOVE to have DDR..

...wait a minute!
- Bartman

Mario Kart DS - 111728-668174
Metroid Prime Hunters - 3866-1460-2555
Tetris DS - 105680-429364

(Send PM if interested, you probably arent)
Better yet, check out #mariokartds on Esper.net, featuring the FriendCodeBot!

Offline Draygaia

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2004, 05:22:04 PM »
Mystical Ninja was good.  MGS:TS I'm atleast thankful for.  So they assume.  But you guys are right.  They only have themselves to blame.  People have to push just like Capcom if they want to get it good.
www.chickenpatrol.com  Don't just eat meat.  Eat chicken.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2004, 05:49:57 PM »
Konami made some of the worst N64 games. blol remember their NBA games? Everybody had SUPERFUZZYBLUR filter on them. Also, there was that um.. Fighting game. You know. Then they got stomach cramps because they sold so poorly. MMMM, I HAVE WIND. Goooo Planet!

But hey, some of Konami's best games this generation have been on GBA. Silent Hill 3 and Contra: SS would of been rad on GC, though.

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2004, 06:41:08 PM »

Originally posted by: darknight06

From my understanding, they didn't exactly push the game so that they wouldn't take too much away from Snake Eater.  As far as I'm concerned, as much as I like the game I just have to ask, Why put SK through that if you really didn't intend for it be advertised or to sell?  I mean, it sounds like they just wasted SK's time and abilities.

Konami didn't put SK through that, Nintendo was the one who set the whole deal up.  Also there were some great Konami games on the N64, unfortunately most people dwell on the bad ones (which there were far less of).

Offline darknight06

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2004, 09:20:21 PM »
Wow, I completely forgot about Mystical Ninja.  Add that to my good list.  However, I still stand on my point.  Konami on the N64 wasn't anywhere close to Konami on the NES, SNES, or PS1.  I'm still reeling from their lineup to this day, especially NBA ITZ and Nagano Winter Olympics 98.  That fighter didn't help either (despite the somewhat interesting concept), especially coming off the phenominal ISS.  I dunno, it's just that at one point in time Konami seemed to be synonomous with quality and these days I just don't get that wow from them anymore.

Offline CHEN

• These peas taste AWESOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2004, 01:04:37 PM »
I need Gradius V. An evolved Life Force would be fantastic too. I just love Shmups. Instead the GCN gets barely anything. I seriously hope this will change in the next generation.

Offline Draygaia

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2004, 02:54:39 PM »
All they have to do is atleast make the damn good games.  Its like they are saying "We don't believe it will sell well so we will put games that won't sell well".
www.chickenpatrol.com  Don't just eat meat.  Eat chicken.

Offline Berto2K

• This could be you, at E3.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2004, 04:06:11 PM »

Originally posted by: Darc Requiem
...effort to push MSG:TS. The game has had absolutely no advertising...
Darc Requiem

They ran advertisements for it.  They didn't run when the game came out, but started maybe a month ago with the "interviewer" series of adverts done by Nintendo.
Pietriots, we roll out to get the lol out.

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2004, 04:53:33 PM »
You know what's ironic?  The only Konami game I've only bought is MGS: TTS.

Offline bostwick202

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2004, 05:40:23 PM »
because they touch themselves at night

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2004, 07:03:49 PM »
The only other Konami game I've played besides TTS was some Tiny Tunes game for the SNES. :/  
has 6 gmail invites. wants to rid himself of them. email for gmail.

Offline ezaphlix

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2004, 06:47:46 PM »
Once upon a time Konami was my absolute favorite developer.  Between Castlevania, Blades of Steel, Double Dribble, TMNT and countless others, I would seldom play games by anyone else.  Now they put out just crap.  The only reason I even acknowledge their existence at all is because I'm downright obsessed with DDR.  Still, how the mighty have fallen.
If I want realism I'll go outside.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2004, 12:16:29 PM »
I would love to see more support from Konami, particularly in the form of Castlevania or Goemon/Mystical Ninja, but I have to agree that the company has had a hard time since the days of 16 bit passed.
Did anyone play that 2D Contra game on the PS2?  It looked pretty cool.  I wish I had time to check out a few games on the other consoles.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2004, 12:39:49 PM »
Konami makes most of the PS2 games that i want =/
They really know how to milk that hardware for what its worth, and some games like Z.O.E. i wish they could work on a cube, but because the PS2 itself didn't have enough buttons (it uses every single button on that controller, most more than once... its hard to explain) i doubt that a port would be possible.

Offline WackerJr

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2004, 04:12:28 AM »
I was under the impression that Konami believe that the GameCube's audience is much lower than that for the X-Box and the PS2, and they release there games with a target audience in mind.

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2004, 09:48:23 AM »
Like say, Konami thinks that Xbox's target audience has hats made out of money?  

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2004, 12:03:17 PM »
I was under the impression that MGS2 did HORRIBLE on xbox.

I don't know how it compares to twin snakes though.

Offline Darc Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2004, 06:54:27 PM »
MGS2:S sold terribly on X-box. My best friend bought it for $20 brand new just a couple of months after release. Konami just despises the GC, plain and simple.

Darc Requiem
"Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding."

Offline Procoprio

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2004, 10:40:51 AM »

Originally posted by: theRPGFreak
Whats worse is after Castelvania sold poorly on the PS2, they decided that the next one will be on XBox's next system.WTF?! Nintendo fans love the series yet they basically refuse to satisfy the fans.

Can you post a link to Konami saying that the next Castlevania will be on Xbox Next?

Offline theRPGFreak

• OVERLORD
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2004, 09:27:16 AM »
I read it in XBN (an XBox magazine) that I have been getting in the mail for some reason.
"I can't read...im not a loser."~Master Shake