Author Topic: Iwata Looks to Australia  (Read 7813 times)

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
Iwata Looks to Australia
« on: June 03, 2004, 07:07:33 AM »
The Nintendo president will soon head Down Under to investigate Nintendo's poor performance, among other things.

Satoru Iwata has never been to Australia, but he soon means to fix that.  Before the end of the year, he'll make the trip to the island nation to find out exactly why the GameCube is so far behind the Xbox and PlayStation 2 in the region, moreso than any other part of the world.

"First of all, I am most sorry that the GameCube's performance is bad in Australia among any area in the world," he says.

"One of the biggest things I feel unfortunate about is that I have not been to Australia. I am looking forward to learning more about Australia."

Iwata also addressed the Aussie media about Nintendo's general E3 showing, and their current position in the overall industry.  When asked about the PSP, Iwata said, "if people want to listen to music on the go, then they should purchase (an) iPod."  When asked about Microsoft's Xbox Live subscribership, Iwata snapped back, saying, "One million Xbox Live subscribers? We don't say that is successful. If it were a console, that's a total failure."

For the whole story, click here, mate.

Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Iwata Looks to Australia
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2004, 08:05:45 AM »
Why does he even have to go there?  I've never been to Australia and I can tell what the problem is.  NoAus is run by a bunch of f*cking braindead morons.  Hire someone who isn't a complete idiot to be in charge and things should improve.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2004, 08:39:54 AM »
I betcha this is creating quite the stress at NoAus headquarters....

In case you are wondering Iwata, I'm always looking for work...
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2004, 10:56:37 AM »
Hide your koalas!  Iwata's a comin' down for his surprise "international BBQ"!
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline reviewgamer

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Iwata Looks to Australia
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2004, 01:18:32 PM »

Why does he even have to go there? I've never been to Australia and I can tell what the problem is. NoAus is run by a bunch of f*cking braindead morons. Hire someone who isn't a complete idiot to be in charge and things should improve.

LOL its hilarious that you don't even live here and you know the exact reason why the Gamecube does so poorly.

I write Gamecube reviews for (reviewgamer.com) and i have been trying and trying for months to get Nintendo (Australia) to help us out with review copies. I've faxed, I've emailed, I've called and i have recieved nothing. It's like they don't seem to care. I've been an avid Nintendo fan among other things since the SNES days but my confidence in the Nintendo brand Down Under is wearing really really thin. It's funny, last year, we recieved an email from Sony Australia pledging their support to us. Unless things change, i can see Australia losing many, many Gamecube fans because of this.  

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2004, 02:06:19 PM »
I can see it now...

*Iwata enters NoAus*
Iwata:  Errrr, this is NoAus headquarters, right?
Guy: Uh, yeah, errrrrrrr....I think it is hold on...
*Iwata waits for 15 minutes*
Guy: Yep it is...So who are you?
*Iwata's face scrunches up*
*NoAus building explodes and Aussie Nintendo fans cheer*
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline DrZoidberg

• Secreted by the Internet Bee
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2004, 02:28:17 PM »
;____________;. no really, :e-sadface:, atleast something is being done finally. After one of the strongest console launches ever, GCN has sold like 3 consoles a month, I don't think we've even sold over 100,000 here, we're upto something like 60,000 (expecting Mario to come in with the info) even the GBA is behind PSOne here. Australia fails at Nintendo.
OUT OF DATE.

Offline reviewgamer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2004, 02:49:04 PM »

*NoAus building explodes and Aussie Nintendo fans cheer*

Let me continue this...

*Iwata visits the zoo in search of koalas*
*finds the best one and gives him Head of PR status at the new NoAus headquarters*
*Gamecube sells 2 million consoles in the next month*

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2004, 03:01:52 PM »
NoAus are SH*TTING their pants at this news I'll bet.
I think this is a surprise visit, and I think the way that these guys found out he was coming to Australia was by this news article too.
Hell, I'mscared of his coming to Australia, cause that might mean that NoAus might start CARING about Nintendo again O__o

I think the ONLY person I knew from NoAus that probably did anything was David Yarnton. But he pissed off and now works at Nintendo of Europe, of all places.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline reviewgamer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2004, 03:07:56 PM »
This may be kind of off the topic but how many N64's were sold in Australia?

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2004, 03:23:22 PM »
No freakin idea.
I don't get horny over finding out sales numbers like Mario does, so we'll wait till he comes on
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline e2games

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2004, 04:02:49 PM »
Well i can shed some light on the situation.

I run a video games store in Melbourne (where NOA is based) and i stock roughly the same amount of GC titles as Xbox and PS2, each system is given the same floor space and same A/V set-up.

However when it comes to POS items its impossible to obtain any from NOA. I've asked my supplier for any kind of GC/GBA posters, dummy boxes and displays, NOTHING, not a thing. When i ask for Xbox or PS2 its how many of anything do you want?

Here's some quotes from my supplier:

-On stocking the gameboy player/GC bundle:

"We where offered the Gamecube with the Gameboy Player but we didn’t purchase it as ******** wasn’t selling many Gameboy Players; this was decided by the purchasing dept. Sorry about the inconvenience."

-On obtaining Nintendo promo items for my store:

"We wont be able to get any GBA or Gamecube POS as Nintendo are actually dropping off in sales; they don’t really send out any POS unless it’s a special offer that they have going eg. Players Choice Console etc. "

I then called NOA to get yelled at by some sales person that since i'm not a direct customer (ie i cannot commit to $20,000 per month in Nintendo stock which is their minimum requirment), they cant send me any kind of promo anythings.

So this leads to retailers being overwhelmed by anything xbox or ps2 and with zero to no advertising material for nintendo stock. Which in turn, leads to declining sales....its not brain surgery...just advertise and help out retailers other than Myer or Kmart!!  
E2 Games
Shop 8-641, Mt Alexander Rd
Moonee Ponds
VIC 3039
AUSTRALIA

Offline reviewgamer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2004, 04:19:36 PM »
Holy SH*T E2GAMES!!!! You know back in the N64 days, my auntie used to work for them (Nintendo) and they had A SH*T LOAD of posters and advertisments, HELL i have about 50 old fridge magnets from back when Mario 64 and N64 were released here, back then there were heaps, i mean, its f*cked to hear that now there is practically nothing considering the stuff my auntie used to have. This is so poor...  

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2004, 04:21:41 PM »
Those NOAu guys better hope they'll keep their jobs.

Actually, I smell complete reform incoming.

Offline DrZoidberg

• Secreted by the Internet Bee
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2004, 04:29:30 PM »
Actually It's NAL (Nintendo Australia Limited) NOA is Nintendo Of America.
OUT OF DATE.

Offline reviewgamer

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2004, 04:33:11 PM »
why is nintendo australias PR email  have the @noa.nintendo.com  

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2004, 04:41:05 PM »
I can see it now.

Reggie, right off the airplane, steps foot on Australian soil.

Australia sinks.  The Indian and Pacific Ocean become one.  Aussie gamers cry out in horror.  Steve Irwin goes missing, and his show is cancelled.

Such tragedy.

Offline reviewgamer

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2004, 04:45:14 PM »
We need a 'Reggie-lution'. Our PR and Marketing divisions are full of dickheads who probably have never played a videogame in their life.

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2004, 05:00:54 PM »
Good lord, he's channeling his predecessor... AND THE MAN ISN'T EVEN DEAD YET!!!
"Get yer stinkin hand off me ya damn dirty floormaster!"

--Me in the Earth Temple

Offline e2games

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2004, 05:25:08 PM »
Yeah i mean they probably have allot of promo stuff just sitting around but because i'm not a direct customer i'm not able to obtain any.

Very sad story since Sony and Microsoft don't require you to mortgage your house just to get some POS....
E2 Games
Shop 8-641, Mt Alexander Rd
Moonee Ponds
VIC 3039
AUSTRALIA

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2004, 07:41:52 PM »
If Australia sunk, where would all England's prisoners go  
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2004, 07:41:58 PM »
I just have to say about freaking time!

I hope Iwata goes on a "You're fired" spree, maybe reggie should go there part time, or better yet lets clone him and ship him to Austrailia!!!!!!!!!

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2004, 09:55:30 PM »
"You're fired!  BANZAI!"

Offline Nephilim

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2004, 10:13:14 PM »
what can I say?
Gamecube holds a 5% share in Australia
Is it Nintendo's fault? did they not make a zelda australian exclusive ad? sponser AFL? ect.

The fact is people claim to KNOW everything, you know how much of a budget Nintendo of Australia is given?
stop talking nonsense

Iwata is coming over proberly with a bunch of finacal officers, proberly look over the books and try and find ways of getting distrubters (yes it also is there fault, try getting ur hands on mgs:ts or PNO3 ect.) Interested again
Finding ways of advertising with max effects
and other things.

I use to ring the nintendo line alot when I was in high school years ago, and I have contacted them a few times and even won in there made in wario Comp.
They are a nice bunch of people, noone would be saked..... Maybe hire some more

or even HIRE some NICE Promotions people who visit stores....cause the local game store man hasnt had NINTENDO promo stuff (posters, cardboard sets) since the middle of the N64 era, due to him thinking the rep was a bad name

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2004, 11:05:27 PM »
Bupbow.  I bet PGC to the news.