Author Topic: GDC 2004 - Eiji Aonuma Zelda Roundtable  (Read 3774 times)

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
GDC 2004 - Eiji Aonuma Zelda Roundtable
« on: May 16, 2004, 09:59:19 PM »
Please post your thoughts on the GDC 2004 roundtable with Eiji Aonuma here.  The article is too long to reproduce here, but feel free to quote parts of it in your posts.  
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
RE:INTERVIEWS: GDC 2004 - Eiji Aonuma Zelda Roundtable
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2004, 01:21:38 AM »

Q: I have a question. During the presentation you mentioned that you had certain regrets about things in, say, Majora’s Mask that you hade a chance to fix and improve in the Wind Waker. I was wondering if you could give a few examples of what you thought, for the Wind Waker, things you would like to improve on in the future, in maybe Wind Waker 2. Or maybe examples from the past from the Ocarina of Time, that were interesting?

^o^
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: INTERVIEWS: GDC 2004 - Eiji Aonuma Zelda Roundtable
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2004, 01:51:30 AM »

As this interview is almost two months old...

News of SK's supposed "split from Nintendo" hit us two months and four days ago. Yet you (or somebody) at this roundtable still asked about the possibility of giving Zelda to Silicon Knights for a "mature" treatment. And wasn't beaten down by anyone? Does someone know something that we don't here?

And Aonuma "chuckled" about SK's involvement with a Zelda game. I'm not really sure what to make of that. He says he hadn't thought of SK involvement in a Zelda, but why not just dismiss it straight out? He could dismiss an SK mature Zelda as "impossible", and be telling the truth if SK's leaving, and it would look like another dismissal of the "mature Zelda" idea (which would add to his E3 fun).

I'm surprised that nothing more about SK (one way or the other) came out during E3. IMO, it only lends weight to our crazy theories. Things are definitely not as they appear to be.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline SuperLink666

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2004, 03:50:58 AM »
I'm really surprised even IGN didnt interview SK..
www.warppipe.com
GameCube games - Playable online!

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2004, 05:35:20 AM »
No, I'm pretty sure this interview was before the SK news.

Edit: The Silicon Knights announcement hit us in the middle of April.  GDC was in late March.  So yeah, no one knew about the SK split.  
Nintendo World Report

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2004, 06:17:54 AM »
Aha, Aonuma gave so many hints it's not even funny...Too bad I didn't read this interview beforehand... ^_^

"Well, of course I kind of thought everybody would want to hear something about Zelda on the DS, so yesterday I said that I can’t anything about it now, but maybe you can look forward to developments with the Zelda franchise on the DS at E3."

No you didn't show anything...Gimme my Zelda DS!
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2004, 09:02:05 AM »

Right now my biggest mission is to make sure the DS announcements don’t overshadow the Zelda announcement at E3. [laughter] So I’m exerting a lot of effort and spending a lot of energy in trying to make sure that we do have a big announcement with Zelda.

Good job!
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2004, 05:40:15 PM »
My question is why the Embargo? Its not like he spilled the beans on the Mature Zelda surprise or anything...

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2004, 06:14:58 PM »
Supposedly it was so that the various magazines could publish their interviews without being two months behind the online press.  I also think Nintendo wanted to bring focus back to Four Swords Adventures after the whole Mature Zelda announcement.
Nintendo World Report