Author Topic: E3 awards  (Read 11523 times)

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: E3 awards
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2004, 03:22:43 AM »
Greatest graphics:
Rampage: World Tour (featured on the Midway Arcade Treasures 2 disc)

Graphics runner up:
Sony's pie charts.

Biggest surprise:
Microsoft focusing on Halo 2. Really, I never saw that one coming.

Surprise runner up:
Berto, running towards the DS.
"Who was that masked man? I was surprised!"
"It was Berto"
"He's playing the DS!"
Go man, go! =D

Biggest sad face maker:
Sega. God. MATRIX? NO SMC + FOOTAGE? NO ANYTHING.

Sad face maker runner up:
Silicon Knights. olol more like Silly-con.

Greatest audio:
Everybody wetting their pants at the same moment as they realize what they're watching is the new Zelda. FLOOD!

Greatest audio runner up:
Swords bleeding.

Games things I's wants:
- Frogger on PSP.

Offline DrZoidberg

• Secreted by the Internet Bee
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:E3 awards
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2004, 05:38:49 AM »
Greatest graphics:
Reggie.

Graphics runner up:
Reggie's clothes.

Biggest surprise:
that e3 didn't crumble under the weight of Reggie's power.

Surprise runner up:
i was surprised that Reggie didn't bite the head off a bat onstage.

Biggest sad face maker:
actually yeah Sega ;______;

Sad face maker runner up:
e3 didn't have enough subtle litterary references, oh wate, actually, STILL SEGA ;___________________________;

Greatest audio:
Reggie's voice

Greatest audio runner up:
ONRINE, OOOONRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE

Games things I's wants:
Pie Chart Simulator for PSP. oh and Advent Calender Children oh what? it's not a game? oh

:reggie: :reggie: :reggie: :reggie: :reggie: :reggie: :reggie: :reggie: :reggie: :reggie: :reggie: :reggie: :reggie: :reggie: :reggie: :reggie: :reggie: :reggie: :reggie: :reggie: :reggie: :reggie: :reggie: :reggie: :reggie: :reggie: :reggie: :reggie:

OUT OF DATE.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2004, 07:31:37 AM »

Originally posted by: akdaman1
Unless I got the wrong picture you hate this thread. If you dont like it then get out.

Yeah, you definitely got the wrong picture...Want to try again? ^_^
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Gamecubivore

• Grandma, Come Home.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2004, 08:49:24 AM »
NOTE: I'm going to generally discount PC games as I can't keep up with the volume of them nor can I honestly be bothered to care too much. My computer is slow and I'm out of the PC gaming loop.

BEST GRAPHICS (technical):

Conker: Live and Reloaded
Resident Evil 4
Fable

Runners-up
Metroid Prime 2
Halo 2

BEST GRAPHICS (artistic):

Baten Kaitos
Killer 7
Paper Mario 2 (I'm a sucker for this style)

Runners-up
Fatal Frame 2
Legend of Zelda

BIGGEST SUPRISE

The DS is quite alright! I thought there was going to be some sort of lame catch but it seems all is ok in the land of Nintendo handhelds

Runner-up

The Legend Of Zelda. . . Somewhat suprising.
Donkey Kong Jungle Beat is. . . fun? Suprised me!

BIGGEST DISSAPOINTMENT

No word on Silicon Knights = they've become third-party.

Runner-up

Sega's "big" announcement

BEST AUDIO?

I don't think E3 is a place to judge audio at.

MOST ANTICIPATED GAMES

The Legend of Zelda
Final Fantasy XII
Resident Evil 4
Animal Crossing DS
Tales of Symphonia
Fable
Baten Kaitos
Metroid Prime 2

Your heart felt good. It was dripping with pitch and made of wood.

Offline akdaman1

• the forum idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2004, 12:56:10 PM »
Hey Zoidberg be serious about your posts. This topic is really close to breaking the rules.

Ummmm Bill ...lets see you think we all have stupid decisions so you call us clowns ?
"We ride together, We die together, Bad boys 4 life....

NOW CAN YOU DIG DAT SUCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKAAAA

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2004, 01:08:49 PM »
I personally love Zoidberg's humor- it may be overdone just a little bit at times, but I'd much rather have it overdone than underdone. People like Infernal, KnowsNothing, and Zoidberg keep the boards lighthearted.  
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2004, 01:50:31 PM »
Yeah, to balance the seriousness created by people like us, right Mouse?

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2004, 08:33:25 AM »
so who do you guys think came out on top at this years e3?? honestly now....out of xbox, ps2 and the cube, which console had the best to offer?
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2004, 09:25:03 AM »
It all depends on where you're coming from. Obviously Nintendo fans are excited about what Nintendo has to offer. If I was an XBox fan, though, I'd be really excited about Halo 2 and all of EA's XBox Live offerings. If I was a Sony fan I'd be excited about all the follow ups to their great games coming soon. I'm a huge Nintendo fan, so you can guess what I thought was best.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline akdaman1

• the forum idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2004, 11:48:58 AM »
Well Id say Nintendo.

Im not a fan of the Xbox and can care less for EA.

With Sony the only thing that impressed me was the DS.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2004, 02:18:35 PM »
Sony? DS?
Clearly you putting those two words in the same sentense was a mistake.....

Since Sony dominates the market, I didn't see how showing that they did AGAIN was going to impress anybody. Investors, maybe, but for gamers, all we needed to know was that Sony dominated again. Thats it.
All that market share and financial stuff really isn't too interesting.

I think Nintendo just came out on top due to sheer content and pant-filling factor.
Who would have thought that MS wasn't going to show Halo 2? The thing is, there really isn't too much to show anyway, since Bungie brings out a weekly/fornightly/monthly/whatever online report about the progress of the game.
And yay, ANOTHER Grand Theft Auto and Gran Turismo game? Considering that the only thing you can really add to those games is more violence and newer car models respectively, there really isn't much difference. And while MGS3 sounds really cool, I think the games are dragging on (if you don't know, yes, they are continous, so you have to have played MGS1 and MGS2 to get whats going on in MGS3 - there's a question before you begin MGS2 asking if you've played MGS1. If no, then the game changes bits around so nothing gets spoiled. So imagine what they'd have to cut out and change in MGS3 if someone hasn't played 1 and 2).

So Nintendo wins.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2004, 05:22:19 PM »

I mean Kojima is the only devolper who is Allowed to be mentioned in the same sentence as Miyamoto.

Don't forget Yu Suzuki!

With Sony the only thing that impressed me was the DS.

Whoa!  I didn't know Sony was behind the DS!
MEGAT0N!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2004, 05:31:59 PM »

I mean Kojima is the only devolper who is Allowed to be mentioned in the same sentence as Miyamoto.

Hey, I love Kojima, but the only thing he's really done is Metal Gear- it's a magnificent series, but to say he's the only person allowed to be mentioned in the same breath as Miyamoto is crazy. What about Will Wright? What about Peter Molyneux? What about Yuji Naka? What about the aforementioned Yu Suzuki? What about Gunpei Yokoi? What about Shigesato Itoi? What about Alexy Pajitnov? What about Sid Meir? Hell, what about Nolan Bushnell? There's a lot of great game designers out here, akdaman- Kojima and Miyamoto aren't the only ones.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2004, 05:35:43 PM »
Sorry, but none of those guys, as great as they are, should be spoken in the same breath as Miyamoto...

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2004, 05:38:23 PM »
Then neither should Kojima, is my point- there's people there who have done FAR more than Kojima ever will, as great as he is.

Offline DrZoidberg

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2004, 09:11:37 PM »
i'm with Mouse Clicker on this one, Nintendo shouldn't go online, oh shi wate. Needs more Sid Meir ;__; I WANT CIVILISATION FOR DS KTHX

oh i almost forgot

Hey Zoidberg be serious about your posts

OUT OF DATE.

Offline akdaman1

• the forum idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2004, 10:15:00 PM »
Sorry bout that Sony/DS thing. It was an accident.

Ummm Kojima has made quite a few games. He also made the ZOE series which to me is up there with VJ and Dark Cloud as the best this generation.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2004, 03:24:24 AM »
He made ZOE........... okay. I guess that's kind of cool. Alexy Pajitnov made Tetris- that alone was more influential than anything Kojima has done. We won't even get into people like Molyneux or Wright who spew forth innovation whenever they talk. Kojima's an amazing game designer, but Metal Gear and ZOE doesn't make him as great as Miyamoto.

Offline akdaman1

• the forum idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2004, 11:58:35 AM »

Originally posted by: mouse_clicker
He made ZOE........... okay. I guess that's kind of cool. Alexy Pajitnov made Tetris- that alone was more influential than anything Kojima has done. We won't even get into people like Molyneux or Wright who spew forth innovation whenever they talk. Kojima's an amazing game designer, but Metal Gear and ZOE doesn't make him as great as Miyamoto.

Yeah probaly so. I got a bit carried away. Sorry.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2004, 12:33:20 PM »
To me Kojima is vastly overrated.  Basically all he did was create Metal Gear Solid and suddenly he was one of the best game designers of all time.  Aside from that one game and the original Metal Gear he hasn't really made anything worthy of Miyamoto-like praise.  To me he's a creative guy who seems more interested in making movies than games that's gotten lucky a few times.  He's the f*cking George Lucas of videogames.

I think a lot of designers get a reputation for being an elite developer when they really only have shown brilliance on one of two games and don't have any consistency.  Remember when people were making John Romero out to be this amazing game design genius when all he had ever really done was made Doom?  Yuji Naka for example gets tons of praise but he's REALLY inconsistent.  Sure he made Sonic and NiGHTS and some cool quirky Dreamcast games like Samba de Amigo but he has a really hit-or-miss track record.  A lot of his games have huge problems with controls and cameras like the 3D Sonic games, Burning Rangers, PSO and Billy Hatcher.  He's still pretty good but when you buy one of his games you're not assured quality.

Actually I find most acclaimed developers are great until people start hyping them up.  Once a guy is considered hot sh!t he usually starts to release some real dogs.  Shiggy has managed to beat that curse pretty well.

One thing that bugs me is when PC designers put their name in the f*cking title.  I don't care how good a designer Sid Meier is, putting your name in the title is pure egotism.  If you want to put "a Joe Smith game" on the package that's fine just don't put it in the title.  If I was a game designer even if I had made 10 games that all sold millions of copies and were critically acclaimed I still wouldn't put my name in the title.  The fans would know it was my game anyway and I wouldn't feel right about it since Shiggy is too humble to do so.

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2004, 10:26:26 PM »
Agreed. Names should be at the end of games, where people should finish the game and go " Wow, who made this?" Not on the front of cases to promote hype or reputation. Thats one thing I don't like about movies too.

He's the f*cking George Lucas of videogames
GOLD!

Offline DrZoidberg

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2004, 04:28:19 AM »

He's the f*cking George Lucas of videogames.

this needs quoting again for excelence.

-A Tom Clancy Game
OUT OF DATE.

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2004, 10:13:55 AM »

Originally posted by: Termin8Anakin

And yay, ANOTHER Grand Theft Auto and Gran Turismo game? Considering that the only thing you can really add to those games is more violence and newer car models respectively, there really isn't much difference.
So Nintendo wins.

Um you should read the brand new Game Informer magazine that just came out.  Grand Theft Auto San Andreas is going to revolutionize the series...  There is so much being added to the game and so many improvements that you would never have thought of.  I've never been a big fan of GTA but the new one sounds like it will be amazing.  Just go read the article trust me.  As for GT4 alot is being added to that game too, not just newer car models.  The game now has 50 tracks (more than double that GT3 had), over 500 cars, several innovative new modes of play, cars from as far back as the year 1886, online play, and a new revolutionary G-force meter which will up gameplay significantly.  

So please research the games before making claims.

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2004, 10:36:22 AM »
Greatest graphics: Zelda (didn't think the GC was that good!)

Runner up: Killzone (everything about it looks nice and I like the art direction)

Biggest Surprise: Zelda (didn't expect a grown up Link until Revolution)

Runner up: Advance Wars GC (man this game sounds like fun and it looks good too)
Donkey Kong Jungle Beat (a sidescroller platformer played using the Konga Drums!?  Innovation & Fun)

Biggest Disappointment: The DS not having any analog control?!  WTF?!!!!!!  

Runner up: Having to use the stylus to aim your shots in Metroid Prime Hunters, no thanks no thanks

Greatest Audio: Couldn't hear any of the audio well in the movies I watched.

Game of the Show Unplayable: Zelda
Game of the Show Playable: Resident Evil 4, Xenosaga II

Most Anticipated Game ( What games do I want after thier showing off at e3 ).
1. Xenosaga II
2. Resident Evil 4
3. Zelda
4. Killzone
5. Neo Contra
6. GT4
7. Starfox 2
8. Geist
9. Advance Wars
10. Super Mario Bros DS

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2004, 08:25:33 PM »

To me Kojima is vastly overrated. Basically all he did was create Metal Gear Solid and suddenly he was one of the best game designers of all time. Aside from that one game and the original Metal Gear he hasn't really made anything worthy of Miyamoto-like praise. To me he's a creative guy who seems more interested in making movies than games that's gotten lucky a few times. He's the f*cking George Lucas of videogames.

Thank you! I've never understood gamers' fetish with Kojima... MGS was very good, he deserves some praise for that, but MGS2 sucked and ZOE was only good. It always makes me sick when he's advertised as being in the same league as Miyamoto. He doesn't even come close. He hasn't even achieved Naka or Mikami status if you ask me, they're both far more accomplished than he.

He's the f*cking George Lucas of videogames.

I love that, LOL.
"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."