Author Topic: Metroid Hunters "noline" aspect  (Read 6454 times)

Offline yellowfellow

• I have become comfortably numb.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Metroid Hunters "noline" aspect
« on: May 13, 2004, 06:12:34 AM »
 nullIGN Metroid Prime: Echoes Interview The line of interest is: "People looking for the bounty hunter aspect should probably look at the Nintendo DS title Metroid Prime Hunters." (Second last Q&A).
What could this mean? I know it was stated that the demo being shown is essentially a multiplayer level linking four DSs together deathmatch style.
I'm speculating an online (sorry "noline") game of assassins, where you are given another logged in member, from around the world, to go after essentially like chasing a bounty.  I dont know how it could be executed but I don't work for nintendo... so...

speculate and be merry.
procrastination and masturbation are fine, until you realize you're only screwing yourself

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Metroid Hunters "noline" aspect
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2004, 09:55:25 PM »
 I'm pissed.  We asked more than half of those questions.  We weren't planning to post it, but this is not cool.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2004, 11:54:36 PM »
Just curious, how do you mean? Did IGN watch you do your interview, and then steal all of your best questions to repeat in their own interview? Or did Kensuke Tanabe give you a bunch of lame "no comment" replies for all your best questions, and spilled all the answers to the exact same questions when it was IGN that asked? Or something else entirely?

I've personally been wondering lately why IGN merits so much inside info from Nintendo.

I mean, they're the ones who swore up and down that the Spaceworld 2000 Zelda demo was actually a real Zelda game somehow (but couldn't really say why they thought it was, like that stupid "we made a clay model" controller stuff they did), until people got this feeling that it wasn't a "demo", it was really coming, and we were somehow "owed" that Zelda game.

And then when Nintendo decided to "test the waters" by showing a picture of the new cel-shaded Zelda to the media, IGN was on the front line of groups who openly defied Miyamoto's request that the picture NOT be spread around to the public (I'm glad PGC never stooped to that level), along with IGN's clear displeasure with that game that hadn't even been made yet, and that stupid bull$%#* "Cel-da" nickname.

Now Nintendo floors us by giving the "realistic" version another shot, and everyone's so happy that Nintendo managed to keep it such a welcome surprise. And yet, I recall rumors from a few days ago, which suggested that Matt from IGN was supposedly posting "Many Are Telling U Real Excitement, Ze Excitement Loves De Attention." (with the odd capitalizations spelling out "MATURE ZELDA") on the IGN message boards.

What gives IGN the right to try and blow major secrets like that?

Okay, I'll admit, the guys at IGN probably do put a lot of work into their jobs. And I'm not exactly gonna boycott their site. But sometimes they seem really full of themselves, and I really doubt their worthiness of the position they hold. It's like, they're big because they have content, and they have content because they're big. Nintendo has to play ball with IGN, because if they don't, the "influence" of Sony and Microsoft would turn IGN into a big anti-Nintendo propaganda machine (if the IGN-PS2 and IGN-XBox divisions aren't considered to be that already).

Anyways, sorry to go on a rant here. What's your rant Bloodworth? Spill the beans! We like rants. Especially new ones.  
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2004, 05:29:53 AM »
Well, I'm going to try to get this straightened out calmly, but basically it was a shared interview. We were both in the same room, asking questions, and more than half of the questions in that interview were asked by me and Jonny, especially some of the important ones about the screw attack, hacking visor, etc.

They even printed my lame question that I only asked because we still had plenty of time.

What led to the use of the crystals, which are used in the Dark World to illuminate areas? Was their inclusion inspired by Final Fantasy in any way?

Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2004, 06:52:04 AM »
Are you going to complain to IGN?

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2004, 07:14:55 PM »
That sucks about IGN, but on topic, i hope Prime Hunters actually has a Single Player Mode, and not simply some massive hand held shooting game. It would be cool if its a side story of the Metroid Franchise... with the multiplayer aspect added

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
RE:Metroid Hunters "noline" aspect
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2004, 08:45:52 AM »
Give it to 'em Daniel. And let us know when it's properly credited. That's typical IGn for you...

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2004, 08:57:33 AM »
Well, Jonny talked to them, and they said they'd change it to Q and A instead.  The way he and Kohler (Kobun Heat) were talking though, it's not all that uncommon for places to print interviews like that.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Hybrid Hunter

• First title that's onrine
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2004, 04:32:21 AM »
Well uh, anyways.
It seems this Metroid is a search and destroy type game, you have a bounty, go kill it. This game would expand into multiplayer too, which would be very very fun, if only we could play as other characters too, instead of Samus.

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2004, 02:12:22 PM »
Back on topic - Yes, I do believe Prime Hunters will have a single player game...And Mario 64x4 definately will.

Although prime hunters is definately more of an FPS than Prime was...in fact Hunters is closer to a PC FPS than any other console/handheld game...but that's fine by me. I've got prime echoes for single player metroid adventuring. I'm not going to buy DS for big epic single player journeys...

I hope the Galactic Federation soldiers from Fusion and Echoes make it into this game....you know what would be even better than duking it out with Samuses...is Halo 2 style multiplayer. Obviously, if you played the Hunters E3 demo you'd know that this game is very different from Prime and i think it's dumb to play as Samus. I mean, this game is just the multiplayer from Echoes but with mouselook (i mean, stylus-look). That's not how samus plays. And samus' prime weapons aren't exactly the perfect FPS weaponry.

What I have in mind is Galactic Federation vs. Space Pirate action. Just to shake things up, you could add the Ing and Luminoth from Echoes in there as well (by the way, the whole 4 races duking it out on Aether is great concept...you've got the resident luminoth and ing waging war...the stranded Pirates and soldiers waging war...samus stuck in the middle...). Maybe even add the chozo if you want. You could have many different weapons...The GF soldiers in the Echoes trailer have assault rifles...so the GF troopers could have human type weapons (like Halo)....The Space Pirates would have their guns from Prime...and new ones...the Ing seem to use weapons similar to the space pirates...we haven't seen the luminoth yet.

You could have the luminoth and GF on one team and ing and pirates on the other...we Don't know how they get along yet though...but the Pirates are enemies of the GF, and the Ing are also seen attacking the GF, and Samus is allied with the Luminoth, and also with the GF, so the luminoth and GF are on the same side...

Anyway, think how awesome that would be. 8 players on each team. Duking it out. Capture the flag maybe.

Also, a big suggestion i have for hunters...make use of the face buttons! and only have one trigger control the camera aiming.

In present format, the Dpad and face buttons do the same thing (for left or right handed people). In the final game, you should be able to choose from Options if you want the dpad or buttons as your directional thingy. And the corresponding trigger would be to aim. the other 5 buttons could serve other useful purposes.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2004, 02:15:58 PM »
"And samus' prime weapons aren't exactly the perfect FPS weaponry."

And this is where you learn that Metroid Prime isn't a FPS...It's an exploration game...AND IT'S NOT HALO!
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2004, 02:24:16 PM »
But we're talking about Prime Hunters, which isn't an exploration game, isn't Metroid Prime...if you played it...you'll know it's 100% FPS.

And if you look at Prime Echoes....the whole GF soldiers and Pirates thing is a little too similar to Halo's human/covenent to ignore.

And besides...Halo's (Halo 2's moreso) multiplayer is amazing and many of the ideas there are definately something that would benefit Prime Hunters. I mean, if you played hunters you'd know it's nothing like Prime. It's like playing a PC FPS. The D-pad is exactly like WSAD....up down and strafe. The stylus is as close to mouse-look as you can get on a console or handheld. It's pretty much identical to playing an FPS on a notebook computer (with the touch thing).  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2004, 09:37:28 PM »
I don't care about pirates, let me play as a Metroid in multiplayer!

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2004, 12:09:38 AM »
ok, last time I'm going off topic in here, but here's my answer to IGN:

http://www.planetgamecube.com/specials.cfm?action=profile&id=490
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Myxtika1 Azn

• The Master of the Fists
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2004, 07:13:48 AM »

Originally posted by: Bloodworth
Well, Jonny talked to them, and they said they'd change it to Q and A instead.  The way he and Kohler (Kobun Heat) were talking though, it's not all that uncommon for places to print interviews like that.

Yeah, and they still haven't changed it yet.
500 years ago, I shook the Pillars of Heaven.  Why should I fear a runt like you?

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2004, 09:34:33 AM »

And besides...Halo's (Halo 2's moreso) multiplayer is amazing and many of the ideas there are definately something that would benefit Prime Hunters.

Halo's Multi-Player was the worst aspect of the game (well, except the Flood). There was nothing special about it and it didn't have bots. It was good, but it wasn't "amazing". Timesplitters 2, now that is amazing multi-player.

"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2004, 03:24:15 PM »
Hah, we just had a 13 player session of Halo the other night.  Even though there's  no bots, I think Halo is one of the longest lasting multiplayer games simply because of the huge number of players you can have, some of the huge levels available, and the ability to really create any type of custom game you want.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2004, 07:41:32 PM »
I'm gonna have to disagree with your wording there...

Yes there was no bots...But I have the PC version of Halo so I can play online and don't need bots! And people have already released mods that give you bots anyway.

As far as Timesplitters 2...I'd replace the word amazing with "more fun." I have Timesplitters 2 for my GCN and it's very fun...but the difference is that Halo's weapons are balanced (apart from the fairly useless needler), there are great vehicles, and that in Halo you actually need skill. TS2's got a very leniant auto aiming system....

Also, they aren't really the same type of game. TS2 is more of a fast-paced frag fest...run and grab a good weapon and run around killing as much as you can before you get killed, and periodically go to the health pack and armor spots.

Halo's much more tactical...and the weapons aren't just like TS2's pick any weapon, point and shoot. You need to be smart with Halo... you might go dual pistol...bust out the plasma pistol to quickly take out someones shield, the bust out your FMG pistol and take him down with a headshot or 2 or so body shots...or go sniper and shotgun....

Either way, both games are fun.

And yes, the Flood sucked. It would have been interesting if they were only on 1..maybe two levels...and the Library was quite possible the worst level ever.  

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2004, 05:23:42 PM »
Well, all this IGN bashing got me thinking...what in the world does IGN stand for, huh?
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Mumei

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2004, 05:57:28 PM »
Well everyone knows you can't spell IGNorant without IGN ^_~.

Offline Jale

• BURN BABY BURN
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2004, 11:54:05 AM »
I guess Metroid Hunters will have to focus more on hunting than any of the other games, which is good. Finally Samus is the one that is kicking ass, not scraping through against ridiculously huge enemies. I would love to see a mulit-planitary feature in this game. Also if it is a bounty hunting game I want it to be deep. I want to have to hunt them down, hang out in seedy bars to get information, maybe even gain the enemy's trust before striking. I want to have to gain contacts in different cities in different countries on different planets. But that's just me.

Offline kirby_killer_dedede

• I SUK AT DIS ENTERNIT OK
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2004, 02:03:58 PM »

Originally posted by: Jale
I would love to see a mulit-planitary feature in this game.

I have long hoped to be able to fly the Gunship...
WHY HELLO THAR MR. ANDERSUN

4 8 15 16 23 42

Offline Myxtika1 Azn

• The Master of the Fists
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2004, 03:04:40 PM »
I want the bounty part of Hunters to be like how it is in Skies of Arcadia.  In other words, I want there to be a main mission with bounties as side-quests.

And I'm not sure, but I think IGN stands for International Gaming Network.
500 years ago, I shook the Pillars of Heaven.  Why should I fear a runt like you?

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2004, 06:54:36 AM »
No no.  IGN doesn't actually stand for anything now.  It used to stand for Imagine Games Network when they were affiliated with Imagine, but that was ages ago.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Jale

• BURN BABY BURN
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2004, 08:48:56 AM »

Originally posted by: kirby_killer_dedede

I have long hoped to be able to fly the Gunship...

I doubt that you will ba able to manually fly it between planets, there should be a hyperspace thing. Probably when flying above planets there should be a Golden-Sun type map, so that there are limited places to land. Also when in citites you should have a sort of 'Air Traffic Control' and you have to find your alloted landing pad. THis could be shown on the second screen!

Might be hard for the DS. Perhaps this should be  GC game.