Author Topic: Realistic Zelda!  (Read 9370 times)

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Realistic Zelda!
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2004, 11:33:15 PM »

Oh and for those of you still looking for Wind Waker 2: this is it. The game is running on the same engine believe it or not.

I had some doubt if it was WW2, but the same engine? F**KING CHRIST ALMIGHTY!
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2004, 01:35:13 AM »
[Q}That seems a little selfish.[/Q}

I completely agree.  I just don't care. :cool:

Naw, I think this is the right decision for Nintendo.  Even if I prefer cel-shading, it still looks fantastic and I;ll still buy it, and that's most likeyl the same for everyone else who prefers cel-shading.  Plus, there are the people, the vast majority, that prefer THIS, and the realistic look will attract new gamers.  It's totally the right way to go.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
RE:Realistic Zelda!
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2004, 01:57:40 AM »
Fair enough, Bloodworth. Its good to see a new Zelda game anytime I guess
As for the DS, I'm still on the fence. Can't wait to hear how it plays and all that, but still on the fence.

Offline thecubedcanuck

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2004, 02:25:04 AM »
For the first time in a very long time, I am excited big time about a Nintendo game.
Lets just hope the difficulty level has been ramped up, making this Zelda the game to kill all games.
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2004, 06:58:03 AM »

Originally posted by: joeamis
Now my question is who is the producer of this new Zelda, Miyamato or the guy who was supposedly doing the sequel to WW with the same graphical style?

Both Miyamoto and Aonuma are in the Producer's seat, while the Director has not been announced...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2004, 09:30:10 AM »
Pleasenotdyackpleasenotdyack...

Shifty: Here. Even though their site seems to prefer PSP for some reason (bribery? Stupidity?) he sounds very blown-away.

Hell, even IGN praised Nintendo this time!

Now imagine what if the secret director was... Peter Jackson!

Offline MysticGohan24

• OUTSTANDING!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2004, 10:45:23 AM »
lol would explain somethings But wasn't it Wolves of Isengard that they were riding and not boars? Just a thought
What happens, happens ~Spike Cowboy bebop

Hey Shippo your village called, they're missing their idiot. ~Inuyasha

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2004, 12:07:25 PM »
Seriously folks, please don't compare LOTR with TLOZ. OK?

WW engine huh? Not bat at all.

Nice work Nintendo!

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2004, 05:28:57 PM »
I watched the conference, Lincoln was quite the antagonist when it came to the rivals of the GC and DS .
And all the developer comments have me really interested (but not sold) on the DS concept.

DS + Stylus Pen + WiFi = portable drawing e-hilarity!

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2004, 06:36:23 PM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
Now imagine what if the secret director was... Peter Jackson!

That would make sense since he has finished the LotR trilogy.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2004, 03:29:42 PM »
in what bizzare universe does peter jackson directing the legend of zelda make sense?  
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2004, 03:56:53 PM »
How cool would it be though
The buzz for the game would be NUTS!

But then PJ didn't even direct the LotR games....

Offline Ocarina Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2004, 04:23:16 AM »
Before reading this, please note that I was, indeed, rather intoxicated at the time of writing.

I was at first sad to find the new Zelda not to use the toon-shading style of the WW, but I was frankly amazed when I saw some of the screenshots. This not only is what most people seem to want from Zelda, it builds on their mental image as well. Has anyone seen the replies at Slashdot? Read some of the post and youĀ“ll really see what I mean. After the arguments for toon-shading engine, it seemed to me like good games and games that apeal to the mainstream crowd in a major way are like two opposites, constantly struggling to overcome each other, But this has proven to me that EAD truly know how to produce the hype without bastardising their games.

The trailer, however, puts me off a little bit. Although the character models are spectacular, many of the textures on the ground look overly bland and generic. The score is worse, and belongs to some crappy fantasy-action or space-opera movie. IĀ“ve said it before, and IĀ“ll say it again: music in games has the natural ability to outdo its counterpart in movies. Screw this Conan crap, we deserve Kondo. Obviously, it is an early movie, but it still doesnĀ“t impress me as much as I would like.

I think thereĀ“s a good chance the horse will be the major theme in this Zelda... so much emphasis was placed on it in the trailer. I just hope they donĀ“t overdo it again. At the roundtable, Miyamoto mentioned an effort to keep the puzzles in the new game more original. One of my main gripes with WW is the fact that I felt that IĀ“d essentially completed most of the puzzles while I was playing the game. Either that, or the new ones were so simple they felt more like a small jump on an obstacle course than anything else: their only purpose was to momentarily slow you down.

Has anyone else noticed that in the trailer, durning a built-up in the music and when Link brings his sword above his head, full cliché battle-cry sort of thing, there is absolutely no attempt to give him any sort of facial animation? Perhaps this was done on purpose, as a final example of toon-shadingĀ“s ability to produce much more than cheap and corny atmosephere playing on emotions invoked by primal instincts (ala Resident Evil), but much richer experiences demonstrating the ability to show rich and convincing emotion via a simpler outlet.

Honestly though, the fact that most if not all of the footage is someone actually playing game gives me the impression that once again, IĀ“ll continue to play a game well past IĀ“ve finished it, obtaining virtuosity in its mechanics. Simply because of the amazing Fresco-blend of art and technology use to create it; strangely blurred and not yet entirely consistant or coherrent, but providing an image that has not yet been depicted anywhere else; I will play this game.    
Om mani padme hum.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2004, 05:22:47 AM »
Hah hah ... talk about overanalyzing a game too soon.  Zelda's not coming out until 2005, and I wouldn't be surprised if it were late 2005.  I'm actually rather sure that the current ground texture is simply the same as the one in OOT, being used as a place holder.  But yeah, anyone that remembers some of the original screens from OOT will remember that it looked entirely different when it was first shown. It only gets better from here.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2004, 05:26:13 AM »
Listen, the game is actually quite far along as it is, but they've got around 2 more years to get it done.
Thats a BLOODY long time.

The reason why Nintendo used their version of that song from Conan the Barbarian is cause it's the same music they used in the Zelda Wind Waker trailer at E3 2002.
Hearing it before the trailer came on at the conference was a huge surprise to anyone who remembered that tune, cause that meant it was Zelda. Then BAM!
The song is epic in itself, and tons cool.

You SHOULD remember that all this isn't even finished yet - the FACT that Nintendo was making realistic Zelda was what took people off guard. And the fact that he looks MORE realistic (hair, clothing) than the 3D demo at Spaceworld 2000 is what makes it cool nonetheless. I really didn't see how having a bright green tunic would be as realistic as a tunic of dull green like something out of Lord of the Rings. The chain mail was a nice added look too.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2004, 07:27:46 AM »
"The score is worse, and belongs to some crappy fantasy-action or space-opera movie. IĀ“ve said it before, and IĀ“ll say it again: music in games has the natural ability to outdo its counterpart in movies. Screw this Conan crap, we deserve Kondo."

Ahahaha, silly Ocarina...That was just promo music that has been used to reveal Zelda games since OoT...

If you find Ninty's direct-feed trailer, the music that plays is more Zelda-ish...

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2004, 07:33:22 AM »
"How cool would it be though  The buzz for the game would be NUTS!"

Yeah but the game would suck if Peter Jackson made it.  Film directors have NO CLUE what makes a game great.  Hell most people who make or play videogames have no clue what makes a game great.  Do you know what you get when a movie director has a lot of input in a game?  Enter the Matrix.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2004, 10:39:10 AM »
Mentioning Peter Jackson was a friggin' joke, never thought people would take it that serious...

I doubt this game is that far along, I mean, what have we seen? The main character and a few of the more popular enemies. A few trees. Everything else seems to be placeholders from OOT.

Offline - NintendoFan -

• hay sup dudez i liek teh nintendo
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2004, 12:01:33 PM »

The reason why Nintendo used their version of that song from Conan the Barbarian is cause it's the same music they used in the Zelda Wind Waker trailer at E3 2002.

Well, it was also used in the OoT Trailer shown in movie theaters.

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2004, 02:30:18 PM »

Has anyone else noticed that in the trailer, durning a built-up in the music and when Link brings his sword above his head, full cliché battle-cry sort of thing, there is absolutely no attempt to give him any sort of facial animation? Perhaps this was done on purpose, as a final example of toon-shadingĀ“s ability to produce much more than cheap and corny atmosephere playing on emotions invoked by primal instincts (ala Resident Evil), but much richer experiences demonstrating the ability to show rich and convincing emotion via a simpler outlet.

I noticed this, and if you look closely you'll see it isn't even the same face texture. It looked much, much more primitive than other shots of Link, i.e. when he is surrounded by baddies and he pulls his sword over to his right side for a big swing. My guess is the movie was spliced together using older footage as well as newer.

I think you need to settle down a little, I mean seriously, you're definitely going a little far with your analytics here.
"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2004, 03:29:16 PM »
Link did look different to me from when his face is first shown and that last cinematic of him...So that very well may be the case...

Offline Ocarina Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2004, 04:38:58 PM »

Hah hah ... talk about overanalyzing a game too soon

Yeah, I get what you mean. A few drinks + a new computer to play around with = hours of writing fun. Keep in mind I do realise that that was only a trailer, and that there is lots of development time left. Still, the trailer itself, while both being real-time and looking far more stylish than the older Spaceworld one, lacked the polish that older one rovided. Despite my drunken ramblings, donĀ“t think IĀ“m judging the actual game here: I once again wish to stress that I realise this was only an early trailer.

IĀ“ve actually neveer seen anything more than screenshots from older Zeldas before they were released, but I realise thatĀ“s not in-game music. Once again, ignore my drunken ramblings.  
Om mani padme hum.

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2004, 05:05:40 PM »
First, it could have been LOD (Level of Detail) tricks.  OR it could have been older footage.  I'm not concerned.

By the way, just like in Wind Waker, Link will look at important things around him.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2004, 05:25:27 PM »
Awesomeness.

Reggie like.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2004, 08:34:53 PM »
With that number of characters onscreen AND that detail in them there's no way this is running without LODs.