Author Topic: More information on Mario vs. Donkey Kong  (Read 3407 times)

Offline Aussie Ben PGC

• BIG BAD BOOT!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
More information on Mario vs. Donkey Kong
« on: May 04, 2004, 12:56:15 AM »
Nintendo Australia reveals local price and release date details, as well as new information on this upcoming Game Boy Advance title.

MARIO VS. DONKEY KONG

Melbourne, Australia, 3rd May 2004 - Donkey Kong® has stolen all the Mini-Mario toys from Toad’s shop, and now it’s up to Mario™ to hunt down his longtime nemesis and retrieve the stolen goods. He’ll have to race through confounding levels, finding keys and releasing Mini-Marios, before time runs out. Along the way he’ll master new moves in order to scale the puzzling heights of the six action-packed worlds that lie ahead.

• As Mario, leap, climb and battle through increasingly difficult levels as you use switches, conveyor belts, hammers and much, much more. Shy Guys, Piranha Plants, Bob-ombs, and all sorts of other dangers promise havoc ahead, and of course Donkey Kong awaits on the heights...
  • You’ll need to use your brain to solve each level, but that’s not all! Once you figure out the best path, it’s time to break out new Mario-moves like the handstand and hammer-throw to survive the perilous platforms.
  • Before you can battle DK at the end of each world, you’ll have to collect all the Mini-Marios and lead them to safety. Are you up to the challenge?

As Mario, you’ll solve puzzles and work your way through the levels, using a combination of jumps, platforms, switches and conveyor belts, all the while avoiding or defeating the enemies that get in the way.

Characters: Mario is the main man, but plenty of other characters from the Mario universe appear as well. Piranha Plants, Bob-ombs, Shy Guys and more show up, and Donkey Kong makes a stand at the end of each world.

How to progress through the game: There are six big worlds, each with six main levels, a Mini-Mario level and a boss-level battle. The main levels have two parts. In the first, Mario must collect a key to unlock the door to the next part; in the second, Mario must collect one of the stolen Mini-Mario Toys. When the player completes all six worlds, a second, more difficult quest awaits.

Special powers/weapons/moves/features:  Mario learns lots of new moves and busts out classic stunts, too. He can do handstands and then high-jump from a handstand position. After landing from the handstand jump, he can do an extra-high jump to reach platforms high overhead. He can also move in the handstand position and deflect falling enemies and objects off his feet. In another new move, he can jump to a high wire, gain momentum by spinning around and around, then catapult himself high into the air to reach great heights.

Mario vs. Donkey Kong™ is classified G by the Office of Film & Literature and will be available across Australia on 4th June 2004 at a suggested retail price of $69.95.

• It's got a duck bill, you moron!

Watch Me Unnecessarily Flaunt My Games

Offline Bartman3010

• View Profile
    RE: More information on Mario vs. Donkey Kong
    « Reply #1 on: May 04, 2004, 01:58:18 AM »
    $80? Jeez, I feel sorry for you guys in Australia...

(Okay I dont know a whole lot on money)
    - Bartman

Mario Kart DS - 111728-668174
    Metroid Prime Hunters - 3866-1460-2555
    Tetris DS - 105680-429364

(Send PM if interested, you probably arent)
    Better yet, check out #mariokartds on Esper.net, featuring the FriendCodeBot!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • Score: 28
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: May 04, 2004, 02:47:31 AM »
    When's it coming to Europe?

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: May 04, 2004, 03:02:59 AM »
    $79.95 for a GBA game?  What a rip rip rip rip rip rip rip rip off.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
    • Score: 2
      • View Profile
    RE:More information on Mario vs. Donkey Kong
    « Reply #4 on: May 04, 2004, 05:02:51 AM »
    Not only were all of those new moves available in Donkey Kong '94, but a good number of them were used in Super Mario Sunshine too....but anyway, it still sounds like an excellent game.  If it's as good as DK '94 was, I'll be a very happy camper when I get this game.
    That's my opinion, not yours.
    Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: May 04, 2004, 05:14:25 AM »
    who in their right mind is actually going to pay that much money for this game? lol ridiculous

Offline Nephilim

• Score: 1
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: May 04, 2004, 05:58:36 AM »
    cant wait for this game
    im getting sick of the backlash of people when nintendo try something new (mixing donkey kong and mario vs wario together)
    The price isnt a issue, it says $80 dollars....I will bet on the day it comes out I can get it for 60-65 dollars
    please grow up

game looks great, top stuff.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • Score: 34
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: May 04, 2004, 06:18:47 AM »

Originally posted by: joeamis
    who in their right mind is actually going to pay that much money for this game? lol ridiculous

Well this is Australia, remember...They pay high prices for games all the time... (80 AUS dollars = about 60 U.S. dollars at the moment)
    ~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • Score: 1
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: May 04, 2004, 08:00:03 AM »
    This game seems like an enhanced remake to Donkey Kong '94.  Since Nintendo treats virtually all of their remakes as if they're brand new games it doesn't surprise me that they're saying these moves are "new".  I don't think Nintendo has ever even stated that Super Mario Advance is a remake of Super Mario Bros 2.  While most companies promote ports and remakes as a nostalgia trip Nintendo tends to promote their remakes like they're trying to con people.

$80 AUS is about twice what we Canadians have to pay.  Why do they charge such high amounts?  If someone started charging normal game prices in Australia they would probably make a killing.

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2004, 08:18:49 AM »
    Well, everyone knows the Mario games were remakes.  I can't beleive I missed Donkey Kong '94, that sounds hot.

At any rate, even if those moves are not new at least they had 10+ years to put some polish on them.  The only bad part about this game I see is the faux 3D characters and Rare's Donkey Kong.

And also, you Australians are getting screwed but what else is new, aye mate?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • Score: 28
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: May 04, 2004, 09:30:16 AM »
    Come to think of it, what happened to the backflip?

Also, it is NOT a remake of DK'94, the whole toys deal, the number of stages, etc, don't match up. Guiding the mini Marios sounds a bit like Lemmings, though...

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
    • Score: 82
      • View Profile
      • FACEBOOK!
    « Reply #11 on: May 04, 2004, 04:54:48 PM »
    Me likey, me wanty.
    TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline AManatee2

• View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: May 05, 2004, 08:43:37 PM »
    Looks fun.

I'll prolly get it.

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
    • Score: 9
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: May 05, 2004, 10:06:56 PM »

The price isnt a issue, it says $80 dollars....I will bet on the day it comes out I can get it for 60-65 dollars

LOL, you come down to Australia and show me, because unfortunately NOAus suck at everything.
    *insert rant here*

Offline Aussie Ben PGC

• BIG BAD BOOT!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: May 06, 2004, 12:55:49 AM »
    Just an amendment from NAL that was made to the initial press release - the retail price is AU$69.95, not AU$79.95.

But these prices are nothing.  I remember paying AU$110 for Circle of the Moon at EB on launch, only because I couldn't find it anywhere else.  Ahh...to be back in the days where it only cost $50 for games like Super Mario Land 2....
    It's got a duck bill, you moron!

Watch Me Unnecessarily Flaunt My Games