Author Topic: PGC's 5th Birthday Contest - The Winners!  (Read 6499 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
PGC's 5th Birthday Contest - The Winners!
« on: April 17, 2004, 04:32:39 PM »
This thread is for discussion of the contest winners announcement, found here:

http://www.planetgamecube.com/specials.cfm?action=profile&id=488

We'd love to hear your ideas about how to use the winning entry to promote Planet GameCube.  Or you can just use this space to comment on the winning entries and congratulate their creators.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:PGC's 5th Birthday Contest - The Winners!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2004, 05:02:07 PM »
Good job, I am jelous of the talant I don't have.

Offline yellowfellow

• I have become comfortably numb.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2004, 05:10:21 PM »
very nice, but what is with all the freaking pop-ups when i go to download?
procrastination and masturbation are fine, until you realize you're only screwing yourself

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: PGC's 5th Birthday Contest - The Winners!
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2004, 05:28:49 PM »
Stop using IE, you fiend...

But anyways, good stuff!  
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2004, 06:25:02 PM »
Any of those guys forumers??
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Try4ce

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2004, 08:21:14 PM »
Hey, this is Marc, second place winner. To answer your question, I do have a forum account, but I don't think I'm a "forumer," since my only posts have been in the thread for asking questions about the birthday contest, heh. But even if I'm not a "forumer," I've been a PGC reader for a long long time.

I love the first place entry. Simple, creative, and great style.

Unfortunately, I can't play the third place entry, except for the audio. That sometimes happens with certain .avi files for me.

I appologize for the size of my own entry. You see, my video codecs are awesome for rendering high quality files for video and DVD, but as far as codecs for web files go, I've got crap. Any Quicktime I try to make is completely unusable, and I've got to make sizeable Windows Media files before the quality is kinda acceptable and the file is small enough (being 20MB, heh). At least I've got a high quality version on my own computer. Too bad it wouldn't be practical for web distribution. I've really gotta get the Sorenson III codec, but it just costs too much.

Hope you enjoyed my entry (even though I know my voice isn't a narrator's voice but I'll admit that I feared I would sound much worse, haha).

One thing I originally had in my entry but had to cut out were quotes from the various games. You saw a remnant of that with the "Let's a go!" right before the end. I kept that one because I thought it was good for keeping up the excitment for PGC going to E3. These quotes popped up after each sequence of the various games, but it just made the commercial too long, and they were pretty pointless and off-topic, as cool as I thought they were. Besides, I had a hard time finding a good Pikmin quote. The ones I had were:

-Zelda: "May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce." (my favorite game quote, see signature)

-Pikmin: Um?

-Resident Evil: "All personel, evacuate immediately."

-Metroid: "The Hunter is here..."

-StarFox: I didn't quite get around to this one before I dropped the quotes idea, but I could've gotten one easily

-Mario: "Let's a go!"    
"May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce."

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2004, 10:40:08 PM »
Marc, you probably need DivX to see the video for the third commercial.  The codecs alone have never worked for me, although I think they do for some people.  I just have AVIs set to play in the actual DivX Player (free).
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Microtic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2004, 11:22:33 PM »
Hmmm I wish I woulda finished my entry on time. ._.; And the due date was even extended. Darn you midterm exams! ^_^;
But yeah congratulations to the winners! It seems that a lot of work went into making what they did. Hope they enjoy their prizes too. Heh.
Official Timer/QC'er for Anime-Otakus!

Also an Official for the S-LAN (The Saskatchewan LAN Organization)

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2004, 11:47:31 PM »
I loved the 1st prize winner's work!   to the GameCube-person controlling a giant GC-robot idea!

Sadly, I haven't DL the 2nd & 3rd commercial as I type.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2004, 12:35:12 AM »
makes my flash look pathetic ...i bow down..
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline nisse

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2004, 01:11:10 AM »
wow...

great stuff. anyhow. is it okay for us video-noobs to post links to our own commercials?

Offline nisse

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2004, 02:44:53 AM »
http://www.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=AE20A12C60108C6529D4A98F2577228C  (900kB)

I know its not much, but I feel it would all have been a wate if wasn't even allowed to show it...  

(btw its only going to be avaliable for a week)

Offline Try4ce

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2004, 07:26:58 AM »
^
Very nice! I like it!
"May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce."

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2004, 07:45:16 AM »
Oh sure, please feel free to share your entries in this thread.  I would have liked to host them all, but our media server has limited bandwidth and tends to slow down if we serve a lot of files on it at once.  There are some great commercials that came up just short in our voting.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline yellowfellow

• I have become comfortably numb.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2004, 07:55:25 AM »

Stop using IE, you fiend...
how do you know?!? GET OUTTA MY HEAD!!!
procrastination and masturbation are fine, until you realize you're only screwing yourself

Offline nisse

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2004, 08:14:28 AM »

Originally posted by: Try4ce
^
Very nice! I like it!

Thanks!!

Offline MattVDB

• In need of an alter-ego
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2004, 08:46:35 AM »
http://www.geocities.com/mattvdb/My_Video.html

Well, there's mine.  It tells you on the page what you need, but I will explain here too...

When I started out on my project I had big plans.  I am working on my Digital Media Production Major and figured I would edit together some game playing and make an awesome video.  Well, my video capture equipment went down, so I had to resort to Flash.

Flash isn't a bad thing, on the contrary, I like it quite a lot.  The problem with using it though, and I didn't realize this until I was almost done, is that I built it on my 3 Gig computer with 512 Mb of RAM.  If those specs are met, then the video runs well, and all are happy.  

Total file size is 1200 kb, so I highly encourage you to watch it.

Darn fast computers anyway.  Correct me if I'm wrong Jonny, but that was a big part of me not winning, correct?

And I think it does need to be said, Congradulations, folks.  You guys did an awesome job.

Offline nisse

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2004, 09:06:34 AM »
and I thought I had a chance =)  maybe next time

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2004, 09:14:59 AM »
Well, as I DID enter the contest, I figure it's only polite to pop in here and congratulate the winners.  Your entries definitely put mine to shame.  (Although I suppose even Final Fantasy X-2 would put mine to shame... and of course, the treat the neighborhood dog left in my yard puts THAT to shame.)  I saw some of the flash movie in first place, and could kind of get the gist of it, but I haven't seen the movies yet, as I am simply not prepared to wait 3 days for them to download.  

So... any chance that any of you winners would like to sell your signed copy of MGS: TTS to one of us losers?  

Anyways, some of you have seen mine already.  It kinda... sucks... but it's here:
http://people.uleth.ca/~dave.brady/New/PGC2.gba

It doesn't seem to like the newest version of VBA much, but I developed and tested it on VBA 0.9a, as I am still unable to find a flash cart for a reasonable price.  It totally sucks, and you are totally free to laugh at it all you like, but I maintain that it's not THAT bad for being coded in about 5-10 hours or so.  And most of that was actually spent making/finding/converting graphics and sound.  Not to mention that I never wrote a line of code that appeared in the final version without being under the influence of at least some alcohol.  

But aside from the intro, the whole thing did not turn out at all like my design document stated.  I was going to have some South Park style animation, walking through the site, and stuff of that sort.

And yeah, I realize that this being the second time in a week that I have posted here, some people might be thinking I am on my way back in.  Well, I'm NOT.  So you can keep your thoughts to yourself.

PS:  yellowfellow, everyone knows that you are using IE because it's pretty much the crappiest browser out there, and if you were using a more modern browser, then you wouldn't be complaining about popups.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline MattVDB

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2004, 09:16:06 AM »
I forgot to mention, I drew all of the pictures freehand.  Execpt for the Samus zoom-in/close up.  The last Samus pic (the end of the vid) took me several hours to draw acurately.  Zoom in, and check it out.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2004, 09:20:03 AM »

Originally posted by: Grey Ninja
And yeah, I realize that this being the second time in a week that I have posted here, some people might be thinking I am on my way back in.  Well, I'm NOT.  So you can keep your thoughts to yourself.

Awwwww...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2004, 09:23:18 AM »
TWO posts! =O

Anyway, all the winners were great- I didn't even bother entering because my entry would have been ten times worse than any clever and witty analogy Ninja could use to describe his.    
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Microtic

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2004, 11:27:35 AM »
Wow MattVDB! That is simply stunning! So much thought put into it... O_O; But yeah, I see how it would have slowed down horridly on slower computers... Couldn't you lower the quality a tad and still have it look just as good?

nisse I liked it, it reminded me why this website is so good, and that's a good thing!
Official Timer/QC'er for Anime-Otakus!

Also an Official for the S-LAN (The Saskatchewan LAN Organization)

Offline MattVDB

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2004, 02:46:21 PM »
Wow, thanks.  I appreciate it, really.

I did some optimizing, so that it would actually run on my computer *was twice the size, but the Metroid Prime bit couldn't keep up*

I produced a .avi clip of it, but I was only allowed 5mb of space, and the file size was just over it.  The day the entry was due, somebody jumped on my laptop, so I had to work with what I had already exported.  Such is life.

But thank you.  Really, that means a lot.

Quick edit:
It seems that Yahoo doesn't give much bandwidth.  I've already gone over for this hour block.  Being patient is one option, or if somebody would like to host it for me, that would work too.  If you have space and would like to, please let me know.

Offline DrZoidberg

• Secreted by the Internet Bee
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2004, 04:03:54 PM »
congratulations on the winners! that flash animation was outstanding =o

And yeah, I realize that this being the second time in a week that I have posted here, some people might be thinking I am on my way back in. Well, I'm NOT. So you can keep your thoughts to yourself.
you mean we won't have one of the biggest militant anti internet explorer clowns around here? damn

PS: yellowfellow, everyone knows that you are using IE because it's pretty much the crappiest browser out there, and if you were using a more modern browser, then you wouldn't be complaining about popups.

blol.
OUT OF DATE.