Author Topic: Dead Phoenix - Kid Icarus conversion  (Read 3863 times)

Offline Skyman_Welks

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Dead Phoenix - Kid Icarus conversion
« on: April 16, 2004, 11:44:30 AM »
I wish I could confirm this, but that is not the point of this topic.  I just wanted to point out a few reasons as to why this may be true.  I would also like to hear your opinions on the matter.  Would you like a new Kid Icarus?  Do you think we'll see or hear something at E3? Your thoughts?

Some of the points I wish to make
     - Dead Phoenix sported a gothic style, almost reminiscent to the original NES version of Kid Icarus
     - The game originally took place in a mythical world filled with amazing and unique architecture
     - The main character has wings and eventually gains the ability to fly
     - The main character fires projectiles for offense, which could be converted to Pit's arrows
     - The main character gains physical and other item upgrades throughout the game, just like in Kid Icarus
     - (not sure) A capcom representative once stated that they would like to collaborate with Nintendo on another
        one of their popular franchises (this was stated after the zelda games)
     - Capcom is very experienced with shooters and action games
     - If I remember correctly, one of the aspects of Dead Phoenix allowed you to command and control an army
       of some sort.  If this information is wrong, please correct me.  Anyways, if anyone remembers the dungeons
       in Kid Icarus, you were able to free soldiers trapped in stone and they would assist you during the boss
       battle.  I thought these two concepts would make a good conversion

So what are your opinions on this? Do you have any other similarities to add?  I'm exstatic about a new Kid Icarus and I am really interested in hearing what you have to say.

One thing I liked about Dead Phoenix was the style of graphics.... they were a bit edgier and darker, and I think it would be great to see a new Kid Icarus with that style.

If I am posting in the wrong forum, I apologize.... I thought this would fit well in the gamecube discussion, but because I mentioned E3, I wasn't sure if it should be there instead.

Please, post away!

regards,
Sky W.

What is character but determination of incident? What is incident by the illustration of character?

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: Dead Phoenix - Kid Icarus conversion
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2004, 11:48:36 AM »
I'll just say this...Capcom's story that a programmer royally screwed up Dead Phoenix, causing it's cancellation, just doesn't fly with me...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Skyman_Welks

• View Profile
RE:Dead Phoenix - Kid Icarus conversion
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2004, 11:50:27 AM »
^ I have not heard that one.
What is character but determination of incident? What is incident by the illustration of character?

Offline kpw22

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2004, 11:57:01 AM »
I havent head that one either.  I think all this makes sense though.  
look down

look up

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2004, 12:02:51 PM »
Yeah, I'm sure it was a joke by the Capcom rep interviewed to hide the real reason behind its disappearance... ^_^

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2004, 12:11:28 PM »
capcom probably just didn't think a rail shooter would sell very well.  look at the latest panzer dragoon title for xbox--didn't it sell horribly despite good reviews?  you'd also have to consider capcom's own pn03 didn't meet sales expectations, although i can't remember if dead phoenix was cancelled before or after pn03 was released.

plus, from what i can tell, killer 7 looks to be a spin off of a rail shooter (albeit a highly stylized one) so it's possible capcom decided to refocus its efforts into games that have a better chance of selling well.  the company can't survive off mega man battle network games forever, ya know.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Skyman_Welks

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2004, 12:17:59 PM »
You have some good points, Kingvudu, but I really hope they are not true.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2004, 12:39:18 PM »
I'll bet that half of the people who want to see a new Kid Icarus have never even played the original game.  They're just assuming it's worth reviving because it's a Nintendo franchise.  It's like how people say "they should make a new Star Tropics."  Now obviously Sky W. has played it because he referenced parts of the game but a lot of people are asking for it and I doubt all of them know what it is.

I also don't think Dead Phoenix is a good fit for Kid Icarus.  I don't see Kid Icarus as a dark or realistic looking game at all.  It looks quite cartoony to me.  The model of Pit in SSBM for example doesn't match the look of Dead Phoenix.  Somebody's probably going to suggest cel-shading now to which I'll reply "NO".

Plus I'm not keen on the idea of "shoehorning" one game into the blueprint of another.  Do you know what that gives you?  Star Fox Adventures and I don't think we want another game like THAT to be made.

I think the ideal place to revive Kid Icarus is with a new 2D sequel on the GBA.

Offline Skyman_Welks

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2004, 01:08:39 PM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
Now obviously Sky W. has played it because he referenced parts of the game but a lot of people are asking for it and I doubt all of them know what it is.

Yeah, I have both games, and I've beaten them both. I love this series to death, and that's why I want an updated version.

I also don't think Dead Phoenix is a good fit for Kid Icarus.  I don't see Kid Icarus as a dark or realistic looking game at all.  It looks quite cartoony to me.

When you say that, do you mean that based on the graphical style of the game, the art found in the instruction booklets, or is it just a personal opinion? In my personal opinion, I could see a dark Kid Icarus. Not a dark story, but a dark world that it takes place in.... because the original had that same dark gothic style.

anyways, I have never played a rail shooter before, but I am very interested in this game...... I hope it's released in one form or another because I am really looking forward to it.  I could see myself spending hours with a gamecube version of Kid Icarus, and I believe Capcom is really qualified for the job.

A gameboy advance version would be alright, I guess..... I'm not really interested in the gameboy though... maybe if they used a link up feature.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2004, 01:13:46 PM »
"When you say that, do you mean that based on the graphical style of the game, the art found in the instruction booklets, or is it just a personal opinion?"

I'm basing my opinion on the Pit trophy in SSBM, the box art for the Gameboy game, and what the in-game graphics look like to me.  I guess it would work in an Ocarina of Time style.  Maximo is actually what immediately comes to mind.  I think a similar look would work.  So I guess I could see it dark to the extent of those games but not what Dead Phoenix looked like.

Offline Skyman_Welks

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2004, 01:16:37 PM »
Ok, I see where you are coming from now.  A while back, I too felt that way, but I really wouldn't mind Kid Icarus making that kind of change now.

Offline yellowfellow

• I have become comfortably numb.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2004, 01:17:32 PM »

When you say that, do you mean that based on the graphical style of the game, the art found in the instruction booklets, or is it just a personal opinion? In my personal opinion, I could see a dark Kid Icarus. Not a dark story, but a dark world that it takes place in.... because the original had that same dark gothic style.
i don't want to sound like an ass, but the characters/architecture from kid icarus is greek in origin... quite different from gothic architecture...
procrastination and masturbation are fine, until you realize you're only screwing yourself

Offline GoldShadow1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2004, 01:29:57 PM »
WHY must Capcom change an intriguing, possibly unique new title into yet another known Nintendo franchise?  Can't anyone release any games without roman numerals or colons?  I would much prefer Dead Pheonix stay as it was originally seen.  I don't want another SFA.

And I don't think Dead Pheonix is a rail shooter.  I was under the impression it was very open-ended.  Maybe just my imagination.  If it *is* a rail shooter, my hopes for the game just flew out the proverbial window.

Offline Skyman_Welks

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2004, 01:31:38 PM »
oops, I guess what I meant to say was that Kid Icarus had a gothic atmosphere, as many sites describe it in the game.  The reason I love the game so much is because I'm obsessed with Greek mythology, so shame on me for not being clearer

Offline Skyman_Welks

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2004, 01:35:37 PM »

Originally posted by: GoldShadow1
WHY must Capcom change an intriguing, possibly unique new title into yet another known Nintendo franchise?  Can't anyone release any games without roman numerals or colons?  I would much prefer Dead Pheonix stay as it was originally seen.  I don't want another SFA.

Normally I would agree with you. I am all for the presence of new characters and new stories, but if this is the only chance I have at seeing my beloved Kid Icarus return, then I must support it. I guess I'm being a little selfish.... I apologize for that.  Think of it this way though, would you rather they really did cancel the game, or that it come back as a Kid Icarus title?

BTW, I am enjoying reading your replies!

Offline Evan_G

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2004, 01:43:34 PM »
I have played the original Kid Icarus a few times... it was extremely hard and cheap.  I would love to see a new Star Tropics, though.  It is one of my favourite NES games.
Super NES forever

Offline Skyman_Welks

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2004, 01:53:06 PM »

Originally posted by: Evan_G
I have played the original Kid Icarus a few times... it was extremely hard and cheap.  I would love to see a new Star Tropics, though.  It is one of my favourite NES games.

not to get off topic, but I agree. Kid Icarus and StarTropics are the two top games on my desired sequals list

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2004, 08:15:06 PM »
At this point, in terms of if I would like it or not, I'll say yes as it would probably be the only way to keep it off other systems, unless it bombed.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2004, 09:15:26 PM »
I can't see a dark KI sequel. Why? Well, how "cool" and "mature" can a game be that is called KID Icarus???

Offline Skyman_Welks

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2004, 04:10:48 AM »
What if there was a game called "Kid Death", "Kid Murder" or "Kid Kill"........... I could see those games using dark graphics... that's why I can't agree with what you said about the word Kid.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2004, 04:39:23 AM »
KI really is the only Ninty franchise that I [could see/wouldn't mind seeing] turning to a more realistic style...

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2004, 06:14:43 AM »

Originally posted by: Skyman_Welks
What if there was a game called "Kid Death", "Kid Murder" or "Kid Kill"........... I could see those games using dark graphics... that's why I can't agree with what you said about the word Kid.

Ewww... Can't say I like those game titles very much, what's wrong with just "Icarus"? As in he is no longer a kid anymore?
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk