Author Topic: Ngage  (Read 4202 times)

Offline Majexto

• How do I posted reply?
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Ngage
« on: January 26, 2004, 03:48:43 PM »
Wow I never played the Ngage until today and I myself did bash this quite a bit.  The phone handheld thing does suck majorly.  If the whole phone, mp3 player etc thing was ripped out it was turned into a pure handheld this thing would be amasing.  The framrate is awsome and the 3d graphics are by far better than a ps1.  I think the majority of people that bash the ngage probably have never even used it.  So basicly once again if all the extra crap was ripped outta it therefore lowering the price this handheld would surpass the GBA that is if some great titles came out of course.  I wouldnt midn trying out the red faction fps.  Im guessing im going to get flamed for this......

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: Ngage
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2004, 04:22:38 PM »
1) I can't stand the button layout
2) I can't stand having to take out the battery to change games

Those two, plus a little thing I call NO FREAKING GOOD GAMES make it that I won't even touch the system anymore(yeah, I played it once...I feel so ashamed)
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Majexto

• How do I posted reply?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2004, 05:19:37 PM »
yeah if it was a game only handheld it woul dhvae a better layout, if it was a game only system it prolly wouldnt ahve taht either.  If it was a game only handheld im sure companies would make more games for it.  What game did you play?  I played pandimonium pretty weird game not all that entertaining but im just talking about the capabilities of it mainly.  If it had a joystick on it and some fps and rpg games........

Offline Retroyoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2004, 03:56:18 AM »
Heh.  A couple of the games play fine (Pandemonium for example).  However, it's not that technically demanding (and even is a stripped down version of the PS1 game).  If you really do want to compare the PS1 to the NGAGE, play Pandemonium on the mobile monitor.  It hides a lot of the flaws.

Any of the 2D games are hideous (Sonic chops almost too badly to play), and the horizontal layout of the screen doesn't work for most games (especially ports).

It's really not a horrible little 3D system, and it's honestly the best "phone-that-plays-games" out there... but really, as a gaming system it just isn't worth it and as a phone it really isn't worth it.

No flames.  Everyone has their own tastes, but to me it seems like a poorly thought out design on all fronts.

Offline Majexto

• How do I posted reply?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2004, 09:30:14 AM »
Ok ngage is getting some good games on its handheld, red faction, tomb raider, aplinter cell, tony hawks 3, FIFA, NCAA, both 04, raymen 3, sonic, super monkey ball, virtua tennis, and ghost recon.  Im sure theres more i missed.  I watch a video on all of thee but ghost recon cuz there isnt one.  Wow tony hawks graphics are unreal and im pretty sure the levels are the same as in the actual console game.  

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2004, 05:05:44 PM »
well you wouldn't expect the graphics to be anything less that great on a handheld system like that, but even if they are great (and popular games), crappy control design is what makes it a lumpy turd to play.
I have played it.
I played Pandemonium and Tomb Raider (both shameless money-making games with unnecessary sequels), and even though the graphics were good (after squinting my eyes with the screen two inches from my face as trying to see the detail is all but impossible from a normal position), the gameplay as worse. There is apparently some recording feature in TR that allows you to record while you play, which I kept pressing to often, and didn't know how to turn off.
To be honest, fully 3D graphics aren't too good on small screens unless the graphics are super-clear, and not jaggy and blocky like the PSOne games they choose to port. And of course, 3D graphics are better on big screens
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2004, 06:00:27 PM »
See, the thing with N-Gage is... Well, there's pretty much nothing in development for it. I think Sega have finally found out it's not worth the time and effort, and pretty much every other game avaliable for it at the moment has been on another system in a better form for ages. Tomb Raider, Tony Hawk, Sonic N, Puzzle Bobble, where's the fresh new innovative games?

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2004, 07:21:29 PM »
Nokia does what Nintendon't!

ie: lack of innovative games!

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2004, 02:40:26 PM »
Heh....I went to gamestop about a month ago to look at SNES games and I saw an  N-Gage out there for people to try out.  So I go over out tof curiosity and i see that it's been turned off.  I go to turn the thing on and.........wait.........where's the power button?  I couldn't even figure out how to turn the thing on!  That warrents a "CRAP THANG" on the KnowsNothing's Crap-o-Meter. -_________-

(i bet there'e a big honkin' button on the front with huge bold letters saying "PUSH ME" that i missed, but still.......to complicated for KnowsNothing......)
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline ib2kool4u912

• Prez Sez, SCHOOL IS FOR LOSERS
    • View Profile
RE:Ngage
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2004, 04:23:02 PM »

Originally posted by: KnowsNothing
Heh....I went to gamestop about a month ago to look at SNES games and I saw an  N-Gage out there for people to try out.  So I go over out tof curiosity and i see that it's been turned off.  I go to turn the thing on and.........wait.........where's the power button?  I couldn't even figure out how to turn the thing on!  That warrents a "CRAP THANG" on the KnowsNothing's Crap-o-Meter. -_________-

(i bet there'e a big honkin' button on the front with huge bold letters saying "PUSH ME" that i missed, but still.......to complicated for KnowsNothing......)

That exact same thing happened to me. Except it was an EB. And i wasnt looking for SNES games. So at least if there was a big button on the front, that makes 2 very slow people.

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"But if that extra slot under the gamecube isn't for a hard drive then what the hell is it for?"

The Gamecube waffle iron.

"I have made this thread. It is mine. I call it. But I will share it with you."-KnowsNothing

Offline Majexto

• How do I posted reply?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2004, 06:56:05 PM »
So your saying that because you have to hold the "end" button on my phone to turn it on makes it a "crap thang"?  I dont think so.  No i dont have an ngage, I have a samsung e105.

Offline Renny

• Satin
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2004, 10:28:23 PM »
It has a crap UI.
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline Draygaia

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2004, 01:57:03 PM »
Nokia would be awesome to the next GB as Panasonic was to GCN.  
www.chickenpatrol.com  Don't just eat meat.  Eat chicken.

Offline The Doc

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2004, 07:02:12 PM »
"See, the thing with N-Gage is... Well, there's pretty much nothing in development for it. I think Sega have finally found out it's not worth the time and effort, and pretty much every other game avaliable for it at the moment has been on another system in a better form for ages. Tomb Raider, Tony Hawk, Sonic N, Puzzle Bobble, where's the fresh new innovative games? "

You have no clue what you are talking about do you? How can you say Sega is giving up on N-Gage when Sega has released some of their most popular franchises on the game deck? Ashen, Operation Shadow and Pathway to Glory are all fresh new innovative games so you cannot use that as an arguement anymore. In addition, Nokia is unveiling many first party titles at E3 along with an updated handset. I will agree that the current N-Gage has some flaws and those will be addressed at E3. N-Gage is struggling, however the handheld will not be canned and if anything third party support will continue to improve.

Bill,

If you hate N-Gage then that is your right as a gamer. I happen to dislike the GBA SP as I feel the unit is too "Square" and gamers with bigger hands will find it uncomfortable to use. I also happen to think that the buttons are too cramped and that the display is very poor as well. It is my right as a gamer to dislike the GBA SP just as much as it is your right to dislike the N-Gage.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2004, 07:27:26 AM »
They should make an NGage Revised Edition, killing off that damn keypad and offering a real button layout, using a horizontal screen, kill of celphone features, lengthen battery life, etc. Only then I'll even consider giving them money.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2004, 11:53:33 PM »
"It is my right as a gamer to dislike the GBA SP just as much as it is your right to dislike the N-Gage. "

Am I within my rights to question your mental state?   The Ngage is the most unappealing thing, like, EVER.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2004, 01:19:19 PM »
Well if any of those games where even playable you might have a point, but since no one has really seen them, it's like saying a game from a pretty much unkown source is going to sell; oh wait, that is what you are saying.

Heh, mario was for cd-i and we all know how much nintendo supported it.  My point on this is n-gage has so far left a very sour taste on almost every person's tongue.  It's going to take more than your opinion to change that.

Off topic, but did anyone see in pcworld that the zodiac somehow beat out the gameboy.  The name of the thing was best handheld game player, and the zodiac won, because "it has the functions of a pda." Yet, at the same time they downplay the gameboy's emence library, but I forgot, this was only a handheld GAME player review, games are irrelevant.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2004, 09:53:43 AM »
hey what type of processor does n-gage have?
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2004, 10:28:26 PM »
ARM9, AFAIK.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2004, 10:45:15 PM »
I, too, think the GBA SP is horribly designed- the square shape hurts my hands almost as much as the NES controller did, the buttons feel very awkward and I'm never sure if I've pressed them down, and I actually had to flip the unit over and search for the shoulder buttons the first time I used an SP- I still have to consciously place my fingers on the shoulder buttons when I use one. In all actuality the only thing I think the SP has over a regular GBA is a light and a rechargable lithium battery. But really, with an Afterburner and set of rechargable AA batteries (which are even better since you don't have to wait for hours should your battery die like with the SP), I don't see the SP as being better at all, just a ploy by Nintendo to get people to buy the same system again. It worked.

Still, though, the N-Gage has got to be designed 100 times worse than the SP could ever have been. Honestly, it's as if Nokia tried to piss of their customers.  
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2004, 07:51:48 AM »
The SP isn't that bad, I never had any problems wth it. When I see the amount of scratches on the surface I'm happy it protects the screen so well.