Author Topic: Nintendo Reveals "Third Pillar"!  (Read 39188 times)

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:Nintendo Reveals "Third Pillar"!
« Reply #100 on: January 21, 2004, 06:03:20 AM »
Aw man... I just got a brainstorm.

Think of Zelda: a Link to the Past.

Think of switching between two worlds.

Imagine both worlds, one on each screen, with a shadow Link in the world he's not currently in.

You'd know exactly where Link would end up, and you'd know what the other world looked like for a particular area without switching between them all the time.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline - NintendoFan -

• hay sup dudez i liek teh nintendo
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 21, 2004, 06:10:38 AM »
Well, Dual Screens open up a lot of things. I mean just look at the dual monitors on a computer. I have to say how would it be put together. Would the screens move? Be stuck together? There are any numbers of ways this could turn out.

Offline monk72

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 21, 2004, 06:19:38 AM »
Sorry  
Mario (on page 3) stated similar ideas which I had in my  post (on page 5).
I only read the first page and began brainstorming in my own post.
You know what they say..."great minds...   ...play nintendo"

hey another quote to add to my sig...nice.  
"is that a THIRD PILLAR in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"

"great minds...             ...play Nintendo"

Offline The Doc

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 21, 2004, 06:22:00 AM »
I hope this device is better then the GBA SP. The GBA SP is too "square" and for individuals with larger hands it can be qutie uncomfortable to use. I would love to own a "Dual Screen" device. According to CNN this device is shipping in the second half of this year; more then likely Q4 2004. I am buying the Nintendo DS at launch.  

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
RE: Nintendo Reveals "Third Pillar"!
« Reply #104 on: January 21, 2004, 06:45:24 AM »
can you really see 2 screens becoming a standard??? i can not....thats why i am convinced of a super flop. the only way it could succeed and not become the standard is if it were so cheap people got one just for the hell of it....and i dont think that will be the case.
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline Minsc

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 21, 2004, 06:50:06 AM »
I'm going to chuck a bit of my change into this thread.

Procession mentioned earlier that humans are unable to control two different elements at one time.  While that may be true we can quickly shift our focus between two elements (screens ;o) with out any loss in concentration.  If we couldn't then we wouldn't be able to use the side and rear view mirrors when we drive.

Now, why use two screens when split screen on one larger on could be used?  The answer is simple, developers would rarely use split screen (outside of multiplayer).  How many single player games are there today today that makes heavy use of split screen?

This dual-screen handheld sounds very interesting, Nintendo has definately gotten my attention with this.  I'll wait atleast until after E3 to pass my final judgement.  So far it looks promising.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 21, 2004, 06:51:54 AM »

Originally posted by: Mario
IBut what im confused about is how you can control both screens at once without getting really confused, it would have to have two d-pads or analogue sticks.. or maybe there's a whole new way of controlling the game? There are certainly a lot of possibilities, im excited!
 has anyone else played the bonus pearl mini-game (from mdisk 14, aquired by collecting all 88 pearls) in beyond good & evil?  it could be sort of like that, with two analog sticks (or d-pads) and a button or two for each one.  although, it would be hard to contrive an entire game around it.  but i would like to see a mario & luigi 2, where the two brothers can split up.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 21, 2004, 07:04:56 AM »
"1. Two screens is just one of the features of this thing.
2. Two screens can do whatever one screen can do.
3. One screen cannot do whatever two screens can do."

Exactly.  That's one of the problems with this thing.  A dual screen portable makes the one screen GBA redundant.  Now if this was merely the next Gameboy designed to replace the GBA then there's no problem.  But as a "third pillar" designed to co-exist with the GBA and Gamecube it's ensuring the failure of a Nintendo device.  If it plays only two screen games then it likely won't take off because I can't see a console designed solely for that purpose being successful or even having many games.  If it also plays one screen games then it will essentially kill the GBA, right in time for the PSP (ie: the worst time ever to kill off the GBA), because there's no need for two Nintendo portables that can play the same types of games.

I'm wondering if in fact this IS supposed to be the GBA successor but Nintendo just is pretending that it's something new so as to not discourage GBA sales right when the PSP launches.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #108 on: January 21, 2004, 07:38:55 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane

Exactly.  That's one of the problems with this thing.  A dual screen portable makes the one screen GBA redundant.  Now if this was merely the next Gameboy designed to replace the GBA then there's no problem.  But as a "third pillar" designed to co-exist with the GBA and Gamecube it's ensuring the failure of a Nintendo device.  If it plays only two screen games then it likely won't take off because I can't see a console designed solely for that purpose being successful or even having many games.  If it also plays one screen games then it will essentially kill the GBA, right in time for the PSP (ie: the worst time ever to kill off the GBA), because there's no need for two Nintendo portables that can play the same types of games.

I think one of the main keys here is that it isn't really a third pillar.  I think the third pillar concept is all marketing.  Nintendo doesn't want to squash sales of the GBA so they aren't gonna say a replacement is gonna be out in 10 months.  I would be it will take the place of the GBA, and I will also bet that launch titles for the N5 will make full use of this and that is why they are launching it early.  Thats just my theory.

:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 21, 2004, 07:57:59 AM »
This could work if done right.... It doesnt run GBA or GB software, so i dont see it as the GBNext. Its in fact a "Third pillar" I mean, imagine if it launched with a version of Grand Theft Auto DS where one screen you would see the action like the First Two Grand Theft Autos, and the Seccond Screen would have Action like the Third GTA. Or lets say a sports game like MVP Baseball, one screen would have the the normal baseball screen, the other would float around, a field cam, a bullpen cam ect. It also needs to be much more affordable than the PSP. It also needs some sort of Mario Game.  Its like a GBA 1.5

Offline chlupe

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 21, 2004, 08:16:06 AM »

Originally posted by: nolimit19
can you really see 2 screens becoming a standard??? i can not....thats why i am convinced of a super flop.

2 screens being a standard -- why not?
"I have FURY!"
http://trigames.net Version 2.0, accepting reader contributions

Offline Jale

• BURN BABY BURN
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 21, 2004, 08:20:16 AM »
Im worried about bulk and ergonomics. If you thing about a GBA. Thats a comfortable shape to handle. With two GBAs it might get too large for comfortable gaming.

Offline Berto2K

• This could be you, at E3.
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 21, 2004, 08:37:48 AM »
Personlly I have no idea how this thing will work, which is a good thing because it has never been done before as someone previously mentioned.  Nintendo wouldn't release a major product like this unless they knew that they could use it effectively.  All I know, is that I am ready to see this thing and play it at E3.  
Pietriots, we roll out to get the lol out.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 21, 2004, 08:47:06 AM »
Geez!  Some of you guys seem to think it's a GBA with two screens, which it isn't...It's an advanced piece of handheld hardware that will be used to combat the PSP with an exclusive set of games obviously not available on Ninty's other two systems...

Please stop complaining like spoiled little kids, and wait for some more concrete info and images...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline gwgtrunks

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 21, 2004, 08:50:41 AM »
Imagine Zelda with this thing... Not having to stop playing to switch items, and also being albe to see what kind of things you have stuffed in bottles.
RPG's and maps... and character stats, items...
Pokemon with a map and Pokedex open on one, the game on another.
Sports games with the field on one screen, plays or what ever on the other.

This thing has a LOT of possibilities, but will they get used? the GBA-GCN had a lot of possibilities... and so did Virtual Boy. Hopefully Iwata pulls it off better than Yamauchi did.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 21, 2004, 09:22:50 AM »
gwgtrunks - your suggestions are still nothing more than a gimmick.  i would still have to stop playing in order to manage my inventory/check maps/etc.  whether i paused the game to do it, or merely shifted my attention to another screen, i would still stop all movement on the primary screen.  and while it would be handy not to have to pause the game every time you needed to access a sub-screen, it's hardly necessary.

i really don't think any of us are coming even close to hitting the nail on the head with what this is capable of.  closest thing i've seen so far is mario's idea for pikmin or my own for mario & luigi.  
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Toole

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 21, 2004, 09:28:54 AM »
Maybe everyone should stop thinking about the 'conventional' uses for a dual screen for a moment and try to think outside the box on this..

Yes, it's very likely that both screens will be used in different ways to play a game, but let's look at the proposed power of this handheld.

With what Nintendo are proposing I think it's quite likely that we could see a portable machine that not only plays games on the main screen (with added extras on the 2nd screen) but has a switchable user interface that would allow you to have mp3 tracklistings on the second screen, or maybe even some kind of video support (not unlike the mpeg playback capalities of the GP32 handheld).  The fact that this system has a seperate processor for each screen means that it's probably going to do alot more than just display 2d maps, radars and options menus on the 2nd screen.

I can see this being Nintendo's first venture into possibly making an effective portable multimedia device, that you can still play games on while it's performing it's multimedia tricks.

I know non of this is confirmed and I could be totally wrong - but I just think that with the power they're proposing, this is the most obvious reason for having 2 screens...

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #117 on: January 21, 2004, 09:34:00 AM »
I honestly don't see nintendo leaving their Game Machine Only mentality.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Michael8983

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 21, 2004, 09:37:04 AM »
Nintendo wouldn't be releasing this new system if its developers didn't have all kinds of unique gameplay innovations in mind for it.
So until we start seeing some of its games, we shouldn't judge.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 21, 2004, 09:45:57 AM »
i'm in 100% agreement with palezer0--nintendo is all about gaming.  it is not an electronics company, it is a company that designs videogames.  unless nintendo partners with a large electronics company like panasonic or rca, i don't see any multipurpose consoles or handheld units coming from nintendo.

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 21, 2004, 10:04:06 AM »
well if this really is the replacement for the gba, i would be alright with it like i said before.....there is no room for a literal 3rd pillar. believe me, i hope i am dead wrong. it just sounds like a huge mistake to me. its going to have to be the coolest thing ever or the cheapest thing ever. and either way it will only cut into the gbas money. i am anxious for e3 now.
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 21, 2004, 10:24:49 AM »
Can the admins put a cap on the discussion of the DS until we have som actual information, like with megaton or Wind Waker?
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 21, 2004, 10:29:07 AM »
agreed
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 21, 2004, 10:35:24 AM »
A cap on discussion seems a little hasty.  I mean this hasn't been known about for even 24 hours yet.  And we do have actual information.  We've got some specs and we now actually know what the third pillar is.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 21, 2004, 10:41:17 AM »
Well if this was actual discussion and not a flame-fest of how the DS is going to fail, then I'd agree...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~