Author Topic: Burnout 3 coming from EA  (Read 3076 times)

Offline StrikerObi

• BanEditLockDelete Podcast Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • Pixel du Jour
Burnout 3 coming from EA
« on: January 20, 2004, 04:57:49 PM »
The speedy racer grabs a new publisher.

Reported by Mike Sklens

Source: IGNcube
Link: "EA to Publish Burnout 3"

According to a story over at IGNcube, Criterion has switched publishers for its Burnout franchise. Electronic Arts, known for their own arcade style racer Need for Speed, will be publishing the next in the Burnout series. The game, in which players are encouraged to dodge traffic and perform other outlandish maneuvers, is scheduled to be released in 2004 on all three major consoles (with rumored online support for PS2 and possibly Xbox). However, there is no evidence to support that the game will also be online compatible for GameCube. We'll have more on this story as it develops.  

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
RE: Burnout 3 coming from EA
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2004, 05:01:57 PM »
Excellent news, i knew someone would come in a grab Burnout off Acclaim, and i'm actually glad it's EA. I seem to remember Criterion wanted to take a break from Burnout for a while, looks like EA is pushing to get Burnout 3 released in 2004 (sequel whores lololol), i wonder when it started develepment? As for online, i dont care if the GCN version has online or not.

(Wow, only a day late with this news, impressive.)

Offline cubedcinder128

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Burnout 3 coming from EA
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2004, 05:20:42 PM »
Outstanding indeed. I have always adored the highly underrated Burnout series ever since playing the first game. It's one of the few racing games out there that can stand up to legendary classics like RC Pro-Am and Sega Rally 2. And with EA as a publisher (even though Criterion does a large majority of the game as developer), I'm sure the third game will not disappoint at all.  
"Available for your home in 1995, only on Nintendo Ultra 64..." - Killer Instinct

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Burnout 3 Coming from EA
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2004, 05:27:50 PM »
So they traded Acclaim for EA?  That's like escaping from Nazi Germany to the USSR.

Anyway Burnout 2 is a pretty swank game and it's nice to see that we'll continue to get the series on the Gamecube.  However I'm afraid we're never going to get anything but from Criterion.  After Burnout 3 I want to see them work on something else.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:Burnout 3 Coming from EA
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2004, 05:38:12 PM »
Thank god! I was really dissapointed when Acclaim cancelled their support for the Gamecube since I love Burnout 1/2 so much, and could only hope Criterion switched publishers. Now both Criterion AND Free Radical have switched from publishers not supporting the Cube to publishers that are supporting the Cube.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Madman Adam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2004, 06:35:56 PM »
Most excellent!    Burnout 2 turned out to be a really great game (so addictive in first person driving mode! It actually gives me a rush when I play it), more than I had expected it to.  I got kind of scared when I heard EA would be publishing the game, but then I realised they're just PUBLISHING it, and Criterion games is still making it.  Phew!  Let's hope Burnout 3 improves on things compared to Burnout 2 as much as there was a difference between Burnout 2 and the first Burnout (which was fun, but lacked so many gaming options and was much too easy to finish).

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2004, 08:20:37 PM »
*jumps up and down for joy*

Hopefully this means we get more than 2 copies in Australia this time around.

*shakes fist*

Offline DrZoidberg

• Secreted by the Internet Bee
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2004, 01:13:04 AM »
EA have Timesplitters and Burnout ey... Acclaim and Edios both drop Cube support, Nintendo has pretty good relations with EA... interesting...

oh yeah i told you all this 15 years ago when i was only AgentFour, now i'm AgentSeven you are all wrong about everything and i know all *nods*
OUT OF DATE.

Offline jaz013

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2004, 07:08:04 AM »
I hope this time they use "real" cars. It would be insteresting to go 120 KM/H down the street in a BMW or a Ferrari and crash againts some Bus o Truck (they may even use real Bus o Trucks!!!).
“Stultorum infinitus est numerus” (El número de tontos es infinito. The number of fools is infinitum)-Eclesiastés, I, 15.

Offline chlupe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2004, 08:19:00 AM »
With EA's financial backing I'm sure they could license the real cars, perhaps that's the reason they changed publishers. Acclaim was in financial trouble for a while there last year and they still might be, I'm not sure.

Of course, I have no idea how licensing real cars works; it might be more than just paying money, or it might not have anything to do with money at all, so who knows...
"I have FURY!"
http://trigames.net Version 2.0, accepting reader contributions

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2004, 10:34:08 AM »
I don't think Criterion could get licensed cars for Burnout- the main reason, so I've heard, that Gran Turismo doesn't have any car damage at all is because Sony has the actual licenses for the cars and their respective manufacturers didn't want their products shown being damaged. With that in mind, Burnout just isn't Burnout without the spectacular crashes.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2004, 03:13:09 PM »
Hmmm.. seems like EA is doing more than publishing, check this out, coutesy of our old pal Billy B.

http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200401/N04.0120.1222.50307.htm

Here's a snippet:

..."Currently all Electronic Arts would say was the title is being developed internally by Electronic Arts London Studio, and that Burnout 3 is a working title.  Whether or not they'll change the name is to be determined..."

Take it as you will.
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2004, 03:15:23 PM »
OOPS WRONG TOPIC...hehe...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2004, 05:01:16 AM »
Awesome! I need to buy Burnout 2 now. I love Burnout! I looked for it last night but only saw Burnout 1. Come to think of it I should have bought it; it was only $15. meh.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2004, 07:16:56 AM »

Here's a snippet:

..."Currently all Electronic Arts would say was the title is being developed internally by Electronic Arts London Studio, and that Burnout 3 is a working title. Whether or not they'll change the name is to be determined..."

Take it as you will.

It's from Billy!! ....................................+2
It's from GameInformer. ...................-5
Total..............................................................-3

I don't take it very well.