Author Topic: Ocarina of Time in 2D  (Read 11472 times)

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Ocarina of Time in 2D
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2004, 10:11:23 AM »
strait pimp
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline theRPGFreak

• OVERLORD
    • View Profile
RE:Ocarina of Time in 2D
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2004, 10:51:39 AM »
One thing that I am woundering about the port, is how is Link going to look as an adult? We know in the pictures that it is young Link because of the bosses he is fighting. I just hope that Adult Link doesn't look screwed up!
"I can't read...im not a loser."~Master Shake

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2004, 11:26:49 AM »
I'm not nuts, I just liked OoT the least out of all the Zelda games.

Doesn't compare to LttP in any way in my opinion.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline ib2kool4u912

• Prez Sez, SCHOOL IS FOR LOSERS
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2004, 12:12:31 PM »
This thing looks pretty cool. I want to see how the Water Temple will come out because that doesn't seem that easy to make in 2D, with all the up and down and stuff.  

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"But if that extra slot under the gamecube isn't for a hard drive then what the hell is it for?"

The Gamecube waffle iron.

"I have made this thread. It is mine. I call it. But I will share it with you."-KnowsNothing

Offline SearanoX

• Supreme Hooligan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2004, 12:15:03 PM »
I saw all of this stuff a few months ago, actually.  Looks quite interesting.  Seems that the game's puzzles and environments have been altered in order to suit the two-dimensional formula.  Hopefully, this won't ruin gameplay.

Offline JoeFalco

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2004, 02:51:31 PM »
Yeah, I remember this guy.  He got banned from a website about 3 times for stealing other people's work.  I've tried the demos but it loads far too slow.    Other than a few decent looking pics, I don't see why Planet Gamecube is giving this guy more attention than any of the other programmers out there in the world that are making their own Zelda games.  I believe the only reason this guy is receiving attention is because how much the original was loved.
The sun never sets...on those who ride into it.  We just gotta keep going!

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2004, 04:05:30 PM »
Since Nintendo hasn't told the team at Warpipe to cut it out, I doubt they'll step in to tell this guy to quit. But I wouldn't be surprised if one day, they do crucify him if this thing gets too big. Remember what Nintendo says at the end of their credits? Its something to the effect of "All graphics, sounds, music, scenarios copyrighted by Nintendo."

I personally, am going to wait until its a finished product. I'm going to guess it'll be 2 years before this project is finished.  I'm skeptical he'll do MM and Windwaker soon after, so don't hold your breath....
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2004, 04:17:50 PM »
I don't think it's copyright infringement unless the guy tries to make money off of his recreation. As long as it's free, it should be fine, but then again that's no guarantee.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Koopa Troopa

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2004, 07:55:46 PM »
Yeah, but all Nintendo has to do is take the guy to court one time and he'll he'll keel over becuase of the expenses. Hehe.

I heard about this a while ago, and I'm impressed at the progress he has made, even the old demos he had released were very functional.
"Plan Your Strategy. Build an Army. Trust No One."

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2004, 04:41:50 AM »
If it resembles Zelda, it's copyright infringement. Nintendo rarely nukes games with stolen sprites though, I doubt they'll take action.

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2004, 11:32:35 AM »
Forgive me if I sound a bit pessimistic, but how this Daniel Barras character gonna do all of those nifty things in OOT in 2D.  Like that Forest Temple hall that gets all twisty?  And Some of those near vertical hookshot pulls?  And the Water Temple?  And Epona, where you shoot those big poes?  To have an accurate scale those big poes could never be on the same TopDown screen with Link.  How about Climbing Mount Doom with those tektites on the wall?  Will the Archery Shooting Gallery become a testament to 2D ease?  In OOT, get this, you could had to point the arrow at your target.  In 2D, all you really have to do is shoot in the general direction.

This Barras guy also seems a bit pretentious to say that the news Zeldas "lack something," when by his own terms, his version of OOT will "lack" a lot of the stuff that made the original what it was.  I don't care if he says he'll put everything in OOT into his little fangame, I'll believe it when I see it.  The end result of this will be a 3D Zelda unnecessarily transformed into a greatly butchered, nostalgia-drenched cesspool of a 2D fangame.  
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2004, 01:35:38 PM »

The end result of this will be a 3D Zelda unnecessarily transformed into a greatly butchered, nostalgia-drenched cesspool of a 2D fangame.

That's fine by me. I think I'd still like it more than OoT.  
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2004, 01:45:55 PM »
Personally, I think if you didn't like OoT, it wasn't because the game was in 3D- I really doubt the graphical change, large as it was, caused you to dislike the game so much. Hence, I doubt a 2D conversion will make it any better at all. I disagree with this guy's claim that the 3D games "lacked" something, but it is a cool project nonetheless. I just hope nobody, especially the creator, are expecting it to be any better. Just different.  
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline razorpit

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2004, 12:22:50 PM »
Great this week I've learned I can load linux on my gamecube and play a round of 2-D OoT!  

Is it just me or is this a slow news week?  
MK
Razor

AC
Code: 4896-9148-8292
Name: Oscar
Town: Burgh

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2004, 12:26:12 PM »
Considering Ninty just announced their new system...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline GoldShadow1

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2004, 07:34:39 PM »
"gaming mods? oh they'll never take off, excuse me while i finnish this round of Counter Strike. bring on more 3d -> 2d conversions i say, monkey island 4 ;____; "

YES!  I loved MI3, I have NO idea why they went to 3D in the sequel.. from the screen shots, it looks like it completely ruins the great style of Curse.  Ah well...