Author Topic: Innovative New Product 2004  (Read 5864 times)

Offline bmfrosty

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Innovative New Product 2004
« on: December 27, 2003, 09:07:22 PM »
Just figured it out.

If it's not the N5,
and it's not the Gameboy Tomorrow
It must be the Virtual Boy Color.

-bmfrosty (ducking rocks)

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
RE:Innovative New Product 2004
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2003, 09:37:24 PM »
*grabs flamethrower*

Come here, Frosty, there's someone you've got to meet! Mwahahaha.
LOCK'D!

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
RE: Innovative New Product 2004
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2003, 03:35:09 PM »
AAAAAHHHHHH!!! HE SAID THE "V" WORD!!!!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2003, 10:31:41 AM »
VIEWTIFUL!!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2003, 04:55:12 PM »
I found this link at another forum (which shall remain anonymous inorder to protect its professionalism from careless fanboys and trolls) posted by Marconelly!!

Click here for link

but basically it is pointing to the new innovative product being a controller, possibly for use w/ GC and/or N5 and GBA2

"Partnering with the largest and most successful game console manufacturer in the world will give us an exciting opportunity to introduce our amazing technologies to Nintendo's broad home video game market."

"Gyration intends to be the first company to produce game controllers enhanced with gyroscopic motion-sensors, which have a tenfold performance increase over accelerometer tilt sensors and add the ability to sense yaw as well as pitch."

all the possibilities that could come w/ this or a great idea that will will go unaccepted and unused?

Offline bmfrosty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2003, 09:16:54 PM »
uhm.  So a new powerglove then?

-bmfrosty (it's not trolling, it's saying what comes to mind)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2003, 10:19:09 PM »
There's a controller by Microsoft released together with Motocross Madness (Microsoft Sidewinder Freestyle Pro) that had a tilt sensor. This sensor could be used as the analog input. Judging by the availability of the device nowadays and the feedback my friend gave it's useless for almost any game.

Offline Guitar Smasher

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2003, 06:43:32 AM »
Yeah, but this technology will possibly be the first one that has a "tenfold performance increase over accelerometer tilt sensors and add the ability to sense yaw as well as pitch."

I don't really quite understand what level of accuracy or realism that this technology can recreate, but I'm still quite intrigued.  If this is pulled off flawlessly, then I think video games will see a new revolution of sorts.

But then again, we may never see this thing at all.

Offline StRaNgE

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2004, 06:27:50 AM »
that could be the next rumble.

in a game like resident evil instead of just arumble when something jumps out at you   your controller could actually feel as if it is  jumping backwards away from the thing.

racing games are an obvious, but  lots of potential in all kinds of games, specially platformers.

Offline Guitar Smasher

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2004, 04:52:07 PM »
"that could be the next rumble"

ha!  Oh that's great!

Offline Oldskool

• Maker of Fine Straitjackets since 1997
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2004, 06:15:26 AM »
YOU'RE ALL WRONG!!! IT'S R.O.B. 2.0!!!
"I love the smell of napalm in the morning. Smells like victory!"

Proudly using my Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo D laptop.

Offline Fluke Worm

• the sYmbiotic parasite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2004, 06:53:50 PM »
First off I sick of people bashing the VB, darnit I liked the thing

Second I am a hater of Microsoft controllers, I paid $100 for the "Sidewinder Force Feedback 2" joystick, the thing doesn't have forcefeedback when pulled all the way back.  I called the company and the advice that I got was to the effect of "don't pull the joystick back all the way while your playing if you want to feel the feedback". I'm not kidding, that's what she said.  Needless to say I sent the piece of sh*t back to M$. BTW the explaination I got was that there wasn't enough room in the casing for the motor to work with the stick pulled all the way back.  n i c e
FLUKE_;_;_;_\i/_;_
|%%%~w~o~r~m~

Offline Ocarina Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2004, 10:08:37 PM »

Originally posted by: BlackNMild2k1
I found this link at another forum (which shall remain anonymous inorder to protect its professionalism from careless fanboys and trolls) posted by Marconelly!!

That's an impressive find. IGN has reported that Iwata said the new product will enable movment not seen before. That seems to fit really nicley with the link you provided.  
Om mani padme hum.

Offline Edisim

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2004, 03:41:59 PM »

Iwata said that the product will "enable fun and movement not seen before." He added: "I expect it to become a third pillar, next to GameCube and Game Boy." ... company representatives have previously confirmed that it would not be a full-blown to successor to any existing hardware.  ... "We want to launch the product worldwide simultaneously, but we don't know if that will be possible because of the issue of production capacity," stated Senior Managing Director Yoshihiro Mori.

Fun and movement not seen before... If we interpret that to be mobility, then it would suggest some sort of mobile, perhaps online, gameplay. But that's been "seen before"--though maybe the "fun" wasn't quite there--so that's probably not it. I think an important question is why Nintendo wants to launch the product simultaneously in all regions. It's likely not simply a connectivity type thing, be it online with people across the globe or between friends in the same room using gba's and/or gamecubes--since that would hardly qualify it to be a "third pillar".

What game applications benefit from a Gyration game controller?
GYRATION: The ease accuracy of moving a cursor or crosshair across a screen by pointing makes Gyration technology an excellent choice for 1st person shooters and other action games that require fast and precise targeting.

Which patents did Gyration license Nintendo?
GYRATION: US application Patents 5,898,421 and 5,440,326 which deal with tracking human motion and translating it into linier movement of computer graphic images.

Will the patent licensing affect the availability of Game Boy's Tilt motion feature that is currently available in Japan but not the US?
GYRATION: Not specifically, but the patents that Gyration has licensed Nintendo encompass this particular Game Boy feature in the US.

This gyration stuff is probably seperate from the unique mystery machine... but that's just a guess. Nintendo did team up with Logitech to produce a pretty good steering wheel a while back. They could just be pursuing another quality accessory. As for 1st person shooters and other action games requiring fast and precise targeting, it's possible Nintendo is finally making a light gun; hell, the let True Crime get made and released on the gamecube, and plenty other mature and/or gory games get made, too. Heh, or maybe Nintendo is bringing back that "Force" thing where you stand inside an octagon that senses your movements--whatever it was called... This stuff, I believe, has little if anything to do with the "unique" product.

I wonder if the word "unique" is a hint in itself. I don't know if the word was given in English or translated either literally or by meaning... perhaps some sort of biometric device? Okay, this is pure fanboy speculation now, but here goes: Maybe it could be a small device that you wear on your head. It could track the movement of your eye or head and then react accordingly.. Or a device that could monitor your biometry and change the environment, characters. i.e. characters could "smell" your fear and become aggressive.. Although, obviously, none of this could be consider or would become a "third pillar".

For this "unique" device to become a third pillar as Iwata expects it to, it would likely have to be able to stand on its own. It couldn't rely on being interfaced with either or both of the other two systems, but it could still connect to either or both systems.  For some reason, I suddenly thought of the e-Reader... and thought that it could perhaps to be new device, with its own LCD, that could play e-Reader games, and also connect to the gamecube and/or gba to enhance those games cheaply and effectively. But I keep dwelling on the word "unique" and thinking that maybe it will read fingerprints or retinas or some such thing, and randomly--or not so randomly--generate content specifically for each gamer. But the costs would probably keep that from happening... Or maybe unique simply means that there really has never quite been anything like it before--which rules out quite a bit...  I would personally love to see a new type of virtual boy thing with true 3d, but that seems unlikely.  ... Well, whatever. I dunno.

The main points are that the mystery machine:
will be "unique",
will enable "fun and movement" not seen before,
is expected to become a third pillar next to GBA and GCN
(and will not be a full blown successor to any existing hardware),
and will be launched simultaneously worldwide if possible.

(And may possibly incorporate gyration technology, though I personally believe that's a seperate thing altogether.)

Offline Edisim

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2004, 04:37:13 PM »
There's also some news from nintendojo (quoted famitsu as source).

The Japanese newspaper, Mainichi Daily News, is reporting that Nintendo is planning on launching a new console system by years end 2004. ... Mainichi also reports that it will be able to communicate data wirelessly via radio. ... This past July, Nintendo registered and copyrighted a device titled Connectevision. It was believed to be the IQue renamed for international audiences, but with the revelation of wireless data transfer (something the IQue does not support) it appears be something different. ... Another interested tidbit is that it will indeed play back existing game titles. Is it the iQue player modified for the markets other than China? Is it a portable GameCube, or something totally different? ... Source: Famitsu

Hmm. I think I read a blurb somewhere that Gyration developed the RF stuff for GCN's wavebird, so maybe they are working on this "unique" device.

Wild and rampant speculation please...  

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2004, 05:22:38 PM »
"Nintendo new console gadget

Nintendo confirmed to Famitsu magazine that they will present a new game system at E3 2004 in May. The machine is not a successor to GameCube or GameBoy Advance, this product can play back existing game titles. (Editor's note: Further hint that the new machine is a variation of iQue Player?)

source:the-magicbox "

I don't know about an international version of the iQue, but i would would love for this to be a portable GC.

A portable GC isn't a successor of the GC or GBA but rather a continuation of the GC and possibly the GBA (if its an all-n-one) into the next generation, and in some respects it would one up the PSP, as far as graphics, installed base, and 3rd party developers go.

I know its just a dream but one that i wish would come true.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2004, 07:34:36 PM »
Remember: Japanese is a highly inaccurate language. Any translation is an interpretation as well.

Offline MagicToenail

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2004, 09:20:34 AM »
this likely isnt it, but what if it were a wireless light gun? When you tilt the gun up, it looks up (gyro, "ideal for first person shooters"), Like kirby's tilt and tumble (tilt sensors again). And as Iwata said "motion and fun never seen before". As for it being a "third pillar", it could come with a new system (that has controller ports like gamecube so you can plug in the gun to it and gamecube) that has some new kind of media storage so you can "play back existing game titles", eg Hogans Alley & Duck Hunt.  I know it sound stupid, maybe stupider than the gamecube waffle iron, but it fits all descriptions.
Currently playing: Mario 64 DS and Resident Evil 4

Offline Edisim

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2004, 04:19:34 PM »
Here's some more wild speculation:

What if the word "unique" were given in English (probably wasn't since it was in Famitsu), and it was actually almost a play on the word/name "iQue"... as in UN -- iQue.  As in "universal" iQue, or maybe as in "the opposite of" iQue.

Unlikely I know, but baseless unfounded and just plain silly speculation is just plain fun.

What are the odds that this device will work with the GBA, GCN, and even the N5? It would make sense from a business standpoint, I think. Though I'm really not much of a businessman... and they did make that stinkin' Gameboy Color that was really only around for something like two years or so.

maybe a "sort-of" but not full-blown successor to the VirtualBoy. ... plays exiting games... maybe "third pillar" could be a reference/inside-joke pointing to the virtual boy and its tripod.. I know, doesn't seem likely, or even fit the other description/criteria.. but nintendo big wigs have joked like that with each other during interviews before..

Or perhaps it will be like an even smaller game system like the Dreamcast's VMU, only this one will also work somehow with the GBA..

Pure speculation... so, E3 04.. how many days away is that?  

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2004, 07:52:24 PM »
too many

(not helpful, I know but I couldn't resist)
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline Polemistis

• Pirate Commando Elite Space Pirate Shocktrooper!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2004, 04:10:09 AM »
E3 2004 is in May.
Currently Playing: Kirby: Canvas Curse
Most Wanted: Next Cubed Zelda

What the hell? An Aezbit?!? PRESS L+R+B TO REBOOT SYSTEM!!

Offline Edisim

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2004, 02:06:49 PM »

-------------------------
I am Bill Gates and a notory public.
I'm seventeen and proud of it!

Hey, Odifiend. My old friend... Can I borrow a million dollars?
I want to build the world's the biggest cheeseburger--I mean, a console that will play all games ever made...

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2004, 02:22:16 PM »
Much as I'd like to Edisim, all my money is tied up in intimidation, monopolization, the XBox...  or in my Olympic sized pool.  And unfortunately for you, the million dollar bills the government minted for me all sink to the bottom of the pool and much as I have a bunch of them, I would actually have to go in and get one for you myself because Franchesca, my woman slave, err...I mean housekeeper, is in Maui.  And you know me and physical activity go together like a fork in a microwave.  Sorry my hands are tied.
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline Edisim

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2004, 02:56:09 PM »

Originally posted by: odifiend
... I would actually have to go in and get one for you myself because Franchesca, my woman slave, err...I mean housekeeper, is in Maui.  ... Sorry my hands are tied.

kinky.
Hey, Odifiend... If I can't borrow the million, how bout the maid?
No offense to any hot women out there. (Fat chicks go to hell. )

Anyway...
At IGN (http://cube.ign.com/articles/461/461576p1.html) they mention an interview at www.allabout.co.jp with Miyamoto and Iwatani where Miyamoto says he wants games to be more interactive (pulling a lever by moving the control stick) and Iwatani says he wants to design something that will be remembered for years to come... For some reason (wishing thinking maybe), I almost think that this could be another hint about the mystery machine... Anyway, IGN posts a link to their message boards where readers have translated it, but it's only for IGN insiders (which I'm not). I tried to find the article at allabout's site, but it's in Japanese and www.amikai.com 's translation demo only lets you translate 100 characters at a time. (Yes, Amikai can translate asian languages.) If anyone can post the translated interview somewhere, that would be great.  Even if it's got nothing to do with the mystery machine (Nintendo's mystery machine. Not Scooby's), it would still be a good read.

I don't think this qualifies as stealing content from other sites since the translation was actually done by gamers and not by IGN, and since there's no way that non-Japanese literate gamers would be able to find the article or read it on the Japanese site anyway...

Thanks.  

Offline Edisim

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2004, 05:06:06 PM »
Nevermind. I found it...

http://allabout.co.jp/game/gameboy/closeup/CU20040105A/index.htm

...and it can be translated through infoseek.co.jp.