Author Topic: Bring Back Clerks!  (Read 8876 times)

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:Bring Back Clerks!
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2003, 02:25:59 PM »
nolmit, you're no scientist yourself, so you couldn't even BEGIN to comprehend why or why not evolution would work. One could logically believe in both creationism AND evolution- god created the original lifeforms and let them evolve on their own. In fact, I think that makes more sense than him creating everything right off the bat as they are.

And all that is required for you to be labeled a christian is to believe Jesus was the messiah.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline theRPGFreak

• OVERLORD
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2003, 03:19:50 PM »
Quote from Bill:

...I believe in the theory of evolution, yet I still believe that Jesus existed...What am I supposed to do? Make my own religion?  

Evolution is just a thoery to how life began by scientists, but I think that if you truly believe in Jesus, then you should be just fine. I wouldn't go as far as to make my own religion.
"I can't read...im not a loser."~Master Shake

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2003, 04:46:04 AM »
From Kevin Smith to religion?  I can't believe you people. . . always manage to find something to argue about
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2003, 05:29:10 AM »

Originally posted by: mouse_clicker
nolmit, you're no scientist yourself, so you couldn't even BEGIN to comprehend why or why not evolution would work. One could logically believe in both creationism AND evolution- god created the original lifeforms and let them evolve on their own. In fact, I think that makes more sense than him creating everything right off the bat as they are.

And all that is required for you to be labeled a christian is to believe Jesus was the messiah.

it seems like you took everything i said, then repeated it. i just said that i know that there are people that believe in God and evolution. and i know basic biology and chemistry....so i do understand the basics of evolution. i go to sites on evolution all the time to learn more about it, and like i said, i am open to the possibility of God using creation. sure i dont know everything, and i never claimed to, but i know more then the average person simplybecaues the average person doesnt even seem to care. the point is that i just never knew someone that could really explain how and why they believed that God used evolution. like i said im not condemning it, i just want to know why if you dont mind. when jesus was on earth he never spoke out against the 6 day creation...and considering the fac that christians believe he was God, that is saying something.
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2003, 06:21:24 AM »
The christian reason would be because the 6 day creation was in the bible, which was a human invention. The non-christian reason would be because Jesus wasn't the son of god, so why should he say anything about the creation? Believing in creationism does not require you to believe in the bible, NOR does it require you to believe Jesus was the messiah.

Anyway, before nolimit and I get banned, let's see if we can't tie this back into Kevin Smith. I was on the IMDB message boards (don't ask why) and I came across an excellent explanation of Dogma:

It's nothing to do with God: Man created the church, not God. Man wrote the bible - contradictions and all - not God. Man commits atrocities in the name of God, not God.

It's about how a good idea can be perverted and changed so it becomes hollow and meaningless (and even harmful). That's not to say that belief in God is a bad thing, merely that subscribing to DOGMA regarding Him IS bad.

- Kev

A lot of people seem to think Dogma is antireligious altogether, but those same people forget that Kevin Smith is a Catholic himself. That doesn't mean he can't have misgivings about his own church, though, and think it's better that you have faith alone and don't buy into all the pomp and circumstance.  
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2003, 07:34:10 AM »
Bah, now you get to quote him from 'A Night With Kevin Smith' before me! Not fair

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2003, 01:47:54 PM »
way to save us from being banned....although you kind of lost me on the last thing. well my original point was i liked dogma, because it pointed out the stupidness of church at times. not all churches are bad, but some are...or were at one point or another. no matter how sacrelgious it was, it still had good points. also, now that i think back, clerks was alright, but the others......well, they just arent my type of movies.
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2003, 01:58:14 PM »
As strong as my views on religion are, I won't indulge in them if it means no more posting.

I was talking to a huge Tarantino friend of mine who said he thought Kevin Smith's best work to date was the Clerks cartoon because it forced him to be clever rather than falling back on vulgarity (which I found terribly ironic). He then went on to say he didn't think Dogma's message was necessary at all, which of course raises the question, a movie where someone gets decapitated every 10 minutes is necessary?