Author Topic: Mafia LXXXV: Metroid Dread. Sign-Up Thread. (Open until Mar. 15)  (Read 98505 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile

Premise

For this game, the normal Metroid premise has been flipped around. The Space Pirates represent the townie side as they try to fight off the Federation Forces and Samus Aran in their attempt to replicate Metroids from one they recently captured and take over the Galaxy. The Mafia side is a squad of Federation soldiers operating outside normal Federation oversight trying to seize the Metroid for themselves and use it for secret covert experiments by shadowy figures inside the Federation. The Killer role will be Samus Aran herself who will blast any Space Pirates or criminal Federation Solders on her mission to get the Metroid out of the hands of both groups. The story and some gameplay twists will be based on this premise.

Roles

Townie Roles (Space Pirates)

Mother Brain - (Townie Detective) Can investigate any player of their choosing and learn the role of that player.

Ridley - (Townie Doctor) Can choose to protect any player of their choosing to protect them from either the day vote or the night actions. Ridley can also select to save himself up to two times in the game.

Kraid - (Vote Manipulator) Due to Kraid's size, he gets a bit more say in matters when it comes to the vote. If he wants to tell someone how to vote then they aren't going to argue against him. Thus, he can change someone else's vote to whatever he'd like in the day even if they haven't voted yet or at all that day. As well, if there is a tie at the end of the day, Kraid gets first crack at breaking it.

Mafia (Black Ops Federation Soldiers)

The Deleter - (Mafia Godfather) He can select a player to eliminate from the game during the night actions every game night. If investigated by Mother Brain, his identity comes up as a Space Pirate.

Federation Commando - (Mafia Goon 1) This player is first in line to inherit the Mafia hit if the Godfather is eliminated.

Federation Marine - (Mafia Goon 2) This player is second in line to inherit the Mafia hit if the Godfather and Commando are eliminated.

Federation Trooper - (Mafia Goon 3) This player is last in line to inherit the Mafia hit and only will get it if all other Mafia members have been eliminated.

Other Roles

Samus Aran - (Killer) Not a friend to either side, Samus is out to stop both the Pirates and the Federation Soldiers. She can make a hit every night. In addition, every player in the game will be host to a power-up of some type (except for Samus.) Whenever Samus successfully eliminates a player from her hit, she will acquire the power-up assigned to them which can make her more powerful as she hunts down both sides on her own. In addition, if she successfully votes out a player in the day, she will have a chance at acquiring the power-up assigned to the person who was voted out depending on the amount of votes cast for that player. So, if a person was voted out by six votes and Samus was one of those votes then she has a 1-in-6 chance of getting the power-up in that case.

List of Power-Ups/Items

The Metroid - The most important power-up/item of the game is The Metroid. At the start of the game, one of the players on the Space Pirate side who does not have a role will be assigned the Metroid. For any side to win this game, they must be in possession of The Metroid. For instance, if the mafia side has achieved a tie but they do not have the Metroid in their possession then the game goes on until they do. If Samus Aran acquires The Metroid then the game enters a Self-Destruct period for the next day. Samus Aran must be eliminated by the end of that day. If not, she escapes the planet with The Metroid and all other players die as the planet explodes thus giving Samus the win. The Metroid is the only item that can be swapped among players. If the player with The Metroid is voted out then it will randomly go into the possession of one of the players who were responsible for that vote-out. When a player gains possession of The Metroid, they lose whatever power-up/item they had before and The Metroid then becomes their item which they have until their demise or win. Samus is the only player who can have or hold on to multiple power-ups/items.

(Other items to be listed depending on player turnout. They mainly are for the benefit of the Samus Aran player who will be the only one to take advantage of them unlike The Metroid. Due to The Metroid's importance in the game, I wanted to make sure it was listed first to give people a chance to be aware of it.)

List of players

BeautifulShy
pokepal148
NWR_insanolord
Stratos
nickmitch
Mr. Bungle
Steefosaurus
MASB
Lucario
Mop it up
Stevey
thatguy
Luigi Dude
ejamer
TheFleece
RABicle

There are currently 16 players signed up so far.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 01:55:23 AM by Khushrenada »
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia LXXXV: Metroid Dread. Sign-Up Thread. (Open until Mar. 15)
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2020, 08:50:15 PM »
Thank you for being patient in waiting for me to start the sign-up thread and process for the next Mafia game. Hopefully, the time has also allowed a couple NWR members to get an article ready to promote the game as well during this sign-up period. It may not do much but it did seem to help us get one new regular in Mr. Bungle. Like the title mentions, sign-ups will be open until Mar. 15. Game to start on Mar. 16.

More information to come as I chip away at entering in the necessary game info in the OP. But while I do that, I might as well start giving everyone else a chance to join up and not slow down the sign-up process any further at this point.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2020, 09:42:47 PM »
In as Gandrayda. 
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2020, 10:15:40 PM »
I'm in role-playing as Ridley.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2020, 10:16:42 PM »
In as whichever other bounty hunter in Prime 3 called Samus Sammy.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2020, 10:35:26 PM »
In as Kane from Moon Chronicles, because I wanna be different.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2020, 10:44:22 PM »
In as whichever other bounty hunter in Prime 3 called Samus Sammy.
I think only Gandrayda called Samus "Sammy"  sorry Insanolord.

Here is a list of characters in the Metroid series. https://metroid.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Characters
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2020, 11:13:36 PM »
In as Old Bird.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2020, 10:50:51 AM »
I am picking up my light suit from the cleaners today so count me in

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2020, 06:11:58 PM »
Joining as well, as the computer A.I. from Fusion.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2020, 07:37:42 PM »
Adam Malkovich. 
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2020, 10:40:25 PM »
Adam Malkovich. 

I think that is left unconfirmed. Samus calls the AI Adam because it reminds her of him but I believe the AI is still a separate entity in the end.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2020, 11:28:57 PM »
The end of the game strongly implies that it actually was him, at least in some form.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2020, 01:54:52 AM »
Guess I should play it again. Haven't played it since it was one of the 3DS Ambassador games so about 7 years ago.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2020, 12:28:52 AM »
Is there a timeline on what roles there is going to be for this game Khushrenada?
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2020, 01:47:27 AM »
Is there a timeline on what roles there is going to be for this game Khushrenada?

Yep. This weekend when I've got more time.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2020, 11:15:41 PM »
If, for some strange reason, we end up with 20 players, I'm open to creating a second Samus Aran role like SA-X. If we pull off a miracle and get 24 or more players then I'll make a second mafia of either Dark Samus or Bounty Hunters to add in but I'd be shocked to see that happen.

Offline MASB

• "The game's afoot, Watson!" "You're standing on mine, Holmes!"
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2020, 11:34:55 PM »
Reporting for duty! Will decide on roleplay later this week. Maybe I should relisten to the RFN where Jon plays Metroid: Samus Returns during the episode to get my head in the game so to speak. ;)

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2020, 12:05:19 AM »
To be honest, I'm not sure there is much to really role-play with Metroid but the blank canvas of creatures and NPC's could also be a boon for those who want to get imaginative and run wild with a Geemer's or Federation Solder's take on life in this game situation would be like.

What do they have to say...?
I'm a Federation Soldier and I'm OK!

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2020, 12:27:34 AM »
Okay I like the Space Pirates as the townie side and the Federation as the Mafia. Federation is really sketchy at times.

So the Metroid essentually turns into a flag in flag football and you must obtain them to win and if a townie or Mafia has the Metroid they must bring the other side down to even for the Mafia or remove the Mafia and Samus Aran for the Townies.   I am curious as to what other powerups/ items there are in the game.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2020, 12:33:21 AM »
Off topic but has there ever been a Kirby Mafia game on these here forums?
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2020, 01:12:19 AM »
Yes, it is a bit like Capture the Flag with The Metroid.

Yes, there has been a Kirby game done on the Forums. You and I actually co-hosted it. It was Mafia 54 and I really don't remember much about it at all. The only thing I remember about that game was tracking down the images from Kirby's Dream Land 3 to use for the opening story and wanting to use other Kirby images as the story progressed but getting bogged down in trying to find them and keep up with the game. There's a lot of stuff I don't remember about the game but that interest me now. There were abilities that all players could acquire and the players had hit points that could be whittled down by the items and the game actions of votes and hits. That hit point idea is something I was thinking about for my never-launched RPG themed Mafia game but I never remembered actually using a hit point system before. I'll have to look over that game again now.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2020, 03:00:28 AM »
Yes, it is a bit like Capture the Flag with The Metroid.

Yes, there has been a Kirby game done on the Forums. You and I actually co-hosted it. It was Mafia 54 and I really don't remember much about it at all. The only thing I remember about that game was tracking down the images from Kirby's Dream Land 3 to use for the opening story and wanting to use other Kirby images as the story progressed but getting bogged down in trying to find them and keep up with the game. There's a lot of stuff I don't remember about the game but that interest me now. There were abilities that all players could acquire and the players had hit points that could be whittled down by the items and the game actions of votes and hits. That hit point idea is something I was thinking about for my never-launched RPG themed Mafia game but I never remembered actually using a hit point system before. I'll have to look over that game again now.

No wonder I don't remember it. It was a few months before I left the forums for 5 years.  I did see some roles which might work for the copying aspect of Kirby. I can PM you them if you like.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2020, 02:47:23 PM »
In as Metroid

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2020, 07:06:46 PM »
y can't Mop crawl??