Author Topic: Anyone Interested in a Forum Movie Club/Retrospective?  (Read 671 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• Take the red-eye
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 23
    • View Profile
Anyone Interested in a Forum Movie Club/Retrospective?
« on: January 28, 2020, 01:24:04 PM »
While the idea of a gaming retrospective or group gaming discussion has its appeal, I find that the timing is not something that often works for me. Sometimes I might already be into a game or two and don't want to switch gears or I just don't think replaying something when I've still got so many untouched games to play is the right choice. Then there is also the time consideration as playing through a game can take a much longer time commitment than watching a movie or TV show even. As such, I find myself still trying to watch all manner of film and shows that interest me because it seems easier to get through those.

Yet, it would still be nice to talk more about these things. While we have the review threads for tv and movies to post our thoughts which can sometimes inspire others to post about it and create a bit of a discussion, there's a lot of times that not much is said after a person posts their review. Part of that is because it still takes some effort to post things on a forum but also the timing can be off. A person could watch a movie and six months later someone else watches that movie. By the time they post about it, it is too late to add to the first person's message which could be a bunch of posts back now. Or the first person may not remember as much from when they first watched it and forgotten some of the points they might have brought up had a discussion first occurred when they made their initial post. I do think it could be of benefit to pick a particular title and have a set time that many others would also watch it and then talk about it. The nice thing about a movie is that it can usually be watched in a night making the time commitment less and easier to work around.

Is this something other users would be interested in doing?

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
Re: Anyone Interested in a Forum Movie Club/Retrospective?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 01:36:59 PM »
Yes and here is why.  Not only for what you described but because it can be common for folks in society to just binge watch shows when they come out or to rewatch a show sometime down the line when one is able to and I have actually been doing that with one of my fave TV shows lately with Charmed(1998) since I have all the seasons on DVD.  In part because I like rewatching shows and as something to take my mind away from Kobe's death.

But yeah I am all for it!!
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 01:45:12 PM »
The only other time I can think of something like this happening on the forum was with Black and Mild and his themed movie watch through which he has in his signature.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Khushrenada

• Take the red-eye
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 02:26:22 PM »
Even though I mention TV, I'm mostly thinking of limiting the club to movies because doing a TV club could be about the same as playing through a game or longer. That said, I'm not opposed to the idea of switching it up once in awhile for something like a mini-series / limited series that isn't too long like 8 - 12 episodes or something. Or a specific season of a show like Fargo Season 2 which is sort of self-contained with a bit of reference to what came before in Season 1. But I wouldn't suggest doing something like a Justified retrospective where everyone has to watch all episodes of its 6 season run. If you want to talk about a TV series as a whole then I suggest one create a thread for that show here to funnel all discussion into one place for whenever it might inspire someone to post in it.

I just know that for myself, I've been getting back into more movie watching (and a wide variety from silent 1920s to current Oscar hopefuls) and it would be nice to time when I watch some of these to get others input on it. When I create my yearly Oscar thread next week, I know I'll be looking for more discussion on Joker (because, spoiler, I just don't get Joker's viewpoint is supposed to be) but there are also plenty other movies I'd love to hear from others about. As well, watching a film again can cause a different impression.

Recently, I watched Sherlock Jr. again. It's a 1924 silent film about an hour long. I first saw it maybe 9 years ago and I really couldn't remember much about it aside from a famous stunt of a house wall falling and narrowly missing Buster Keaton. Of course, it is easy to remember that scene because it gets showed a lot when people talk about silent movies. I thought I'd just quickly skim through it and refresh myself on a bunch of the other scenes in it but I ended up just watching the whole thing again because I found it so much more entertaining then the first time I watched it. It left a much bigger impression and memory in my mind now than the first time and I wanted to talk about it with others at how impressive some of the stunts and effects/stagecraft was. And there have been others beyond that one I'd like to have that shared experience with but how often are you going to find people watching an older movie like that at just right the time without some kind of film club?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 65
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 03:12:58 PM »
The only other time I can think of something like this happening on the forum was with Black and Mild and his themed movie watch through which he has in his signature.

That was more of a 'mystery science theater 3000' style film mocking. It was fun while it lasted.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2020, 06:17:24 AM »
I'm interested, but have limited access to content. (Canadian Netflix and D+, basically.)
My assumption is that participation will always be a bit spotty though, so don't let that hold you back.  Maybe make it a rolling thread and just change titles when a new show is on the agenda?
NNID: ejamer

Online nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2020, 08:33:43 AM »
I'm interesting, depending on the film selection/availability.  I do have Netlfix, D+, and whatever's on Hulu.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.