Author Topic: Mario 128 canned?  (Read 5474 times)

Offline theRPGFreak

• OVERLORD
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Mario 128 canned?
« on: October 01, 2003, 03:50:07 PM »
I was recently thinking at work the other day about Mario 128. Shiggy said that the game will be shown at E3 next year, and alot of people are expecting to see all of the new consoles by then. So I put 2 and 2 together: Is Nintnedo just going to move the next Mario game onto the new Nintendo system? It only makes sense to me! Nintendo is desprate to sell more GameCubes, and said that this time around, they would let Sony get a one-year advantage. Even if they did put Mario 128 on GameCube now, I don't think that it would help sales as much as it could rather than being put on the next system.
"I can't read...im not a loser."~Master Shake

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
RE: Mario 128 canned?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2003, 03:54:52 PM »
There's a rumour that Mario 128 will be released late November...

Offline Oblivious

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2003, 04:05:56 PM »
Okay now, this is getting me really confused. I read in Gamepro when the GCN first came out about how the Gamecube was powerful enough to have about 128 Marios running around on screen. And now I'm seeing people say it was game and others say that it was what I read it the first place. If it is a game I don't think that it would be possible to have Mario 128 come out in late November! Wouldn't you think that Nintendo would want to get a big hype up around it? I mean, we hear about a game's priliminary release date MONTHS before it comes out. It's crazy to say it comes out in November.  

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
RE:Mario 128 canned?
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2003, 04:13:41 PM »
Mario 128 began as a tech demo to showcase the power of the GCN.  Since then Miyamoto has said that Mario 128 is now a game in development.

I don't think it will come out in November, because it would split sales with MarioKart.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2003, 04:16:21 PM »
EDIT: Double Post.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2003, 05:44:39 PM »
Canned? NOOOO
JARRED? YESSSS
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2003, 10:02:10 PM »
Canned? Considering Nintendo's last attempt at Mario I wouldnt care if Mario 128 got canned. Mario Sunshine was bad! they were saying best game this best game that! great grphics when they are pretty basic! so yer, thats juz my opinion
/-\rcadian-Xla\/e

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2003, 12:30:13 AM »
dam, I wouldnt go so far as to say bad becuase if thats what you consider to be bad then I would really love to see what is good as a platformer game since IMO there really is very few platformer games in ANY system that is as playable, gameplay and otherwise, as sunshine.  It wasnt the second coming like mario 64 was but IMO I would never consider it to be anywhere near even "an average game".  But anyways, back to the topic at hand.  Mario 128 was first a tech demo but the mario 128 thats actually becoming a game I think is somethin totally different and really has nothin to do in relation to that tech demo.  The 128 in the title is only a temporary title for it.  Just like super mario world was 16 bit, then mario 64 was 64 bit, I would assume that they put in the 128 in relation to the jump in graphics chips and whatnot.  I aint sure but I would guess the gamecube is a 128 bit system since that just seems to be the evolotion of things in the video game business ( even though bits aint even mentioned anymore lol)  But things where always  evolved in such manners, 8 bit (nes), 16 (snes, genesis) 32 (psx,saturn) 64 (nintedo 64 and.... lol jaguar lol) now I guess 128 lol (gamecube, ps2 and xbox) and I would assume if bits were a big issue now adays as it was back then  that the next generation willl be 256 lol.  Anyways, got off topic, so yeah, the 128 in the title mario 128 I think stands for the 64 in mario 64.

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2003, 12:58:42 AM »
omfg lollerz i agre cuz i am smrt! OMFG LOL DISCUSS?

yeah lets kill off stunning franchise such as mario because of 1 game, good idea, if we did that zelda wouldn't have lived past number two, same could be said for mario (both sequels wern't that widely liked as compared to their debut efforts and erm... third efforts)

ofcourse mario 128, or what ever you want to call it, isn't canned, it could apear on the gamecube it could get pushed back to N5, or both! as in mario 128 for cube soonish and another new mario as a launch title for N5.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2003, 09:06:20 AM »
Manny: XB is a slightly modified x86 (32bit), PS2 is a true 128bit AFAIK and the GC isn't known. It's either 32 like a stock PPC or modified to run on 64. The latter would make sense as the N64 was 64 as well and 32 would be a step back.

Offline CHEN

• These peas taste AWESOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2003, 10:30:51 AM »
I hope at least A Mario game will be available at the N5's launch. Every Nintendo console had one Mario as a launch title except for the GCN and they were all magnificent. Thinking back to N64's launch...drool

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2003, 05:08:37 PM »
Well it's all a matter of what Ninty wants at launch for their next system...I can almost 100% guarantee that a big game that everyone has been waiting for will be pushed back to the N5...Be it Too Human, Super Mario 128, Game Zero, etc...At least one will be pushed back for N5 launch.  I doubt Super Mario 128 will be pushed back because it's been in development for a very long time...I see a release shortly after being revealed(Late Summer 2004)
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2003, 10:27:45 PM »
It's still too early to push back titles. If you push something releaseable back now you have two years to adapt it to the new platform. That means remaking he graphics, controls and whatnot. Only the code can be kept somewhat. It's cheaper to make a new game than to waste the ressources put so far into a game and make it new from ground up. You could jzst as well release it now and spend the rest of the time on a sequel.

Offline nemo_83

• Dream Master
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2003, 04:29:23 PM »
if this game is canned then my number one reason for buying this system is a waste because Sunshine was no Mario Bros. 3 and that game is what, 15 years old.  i sold sunshine the scavenger hunt because i already played DK64 once.
Life is like a hurricane-- here in Duckburg

Offline Michael8983

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2003, 04:57:35 PM »
"i sold sunshine the scavenger hunt because i already played DK64 once"

What are you talking about? SMS is NOTHING like DK64. The only tedious collecting in the game is the blue coins and they are OPTIONAL. If you're some obsessive perfectionist who felt the need to collect every single one of them and bore yourself out of your mind, that's your fault. Other than the optional blue coins, SMS actually involves less scavenger hunting than SM64 did. The objectives are far more straight-forward and the red coins, unlike in SM64, are usually confined to one small section of each level.

Offline theRPGFreak

• OVERLORD
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2003, 06:16:36 AM »
What was wrong with Mario Sunshine people? It was a fun game! So what if it did not offer anything ground-breaking like Mario 64 did. If Sunshine replaced Mario with a completly new character, people would like it I bet!
"I can't read...im not a loser."~Master Shake

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2003, 07:34:03 AM »
I also enjoyed SMS a great deal.  Hateing it became a bandwagon, so I expect to see a lot of posts that don't like it.  The ones that make some remote sense are fine, but comparing it to DK64 makes none what-so-ever.  But, Mario 128 I highly doubt will be canned.

Offline Taramoor

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2003, 12:37:47 AM »

Originally posted by: CHEN
I hope at least A Mario game will be available at the N5's launch. Every Nintendo console had one Mario as a launch title except for the GCN and they were all magnificent. Thinking back to N64's launch...drool

For my first day on the Nintendo Street Team we had a training/orientation session during which we all got to talk to Nintendo's Head Spin Doctor.  I asked him a number of questions including why there hadn't been a Mario game at launch.

His answer was very complex, discussing how people bought the N64 for Mario64 and then nothing else came out to really equal it until Zelda so many years later, but it can basically be summed up as "We didn't want to blow our load too soon."
Bah.

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2003, 07:16:13 AM »
Sunshine was bad because I couldnt play if for more than 3 minutes at a time without getting ill thanks to the brutal camera. Being a blue silloette behind a wall is not my idea of great camera control.

If 128 is like sunshine then can it for all I care, its its like mario 64, then bring it on.
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2003, 07:17:16 AM »
Sunshine was bad because I couldnt play if for more than 3 minutes at a time without getting ill thanks to the brutal camera. Being a blue silloette behind a wall is not my idea of great camera control.

If 128 is like sunshine then can it for all I care, its its like mario 64, then bring it on.
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2003, 11:13:50 AM »
I don't consider Sunshine a bad game, just a disappointing one.  It just didn't have the magic of the other Mario titles.  The graphics and presentation seemed rushed and all of the levels had the same island theme.  Had they gone with the standard ice world, fire world, water world approach the game would have had more variety.  Plus I feel that the attempt to innovate in the water pack was a very poor design decision.  It was a very non-Mario like addition to the gameplay and as a result the game became more about cleaning up paint and interacting with water then the Mario gameplay we know and love.  The water pack would have been much better used in an original platformer instead of being shoehorned into a proven game.

As for Mario 128 I hope it's released on the Gamecube but if they save it for the N5 launch I won't really have a problem with it.  The N5 needs a big hit for it's launch title or like the Gamecube it will never really get off the ground.  I personally blame the Cube's disappointing sales on Nintendo's decision to launch it with a title that could be beaten in a weekend and lacked the replayability to last Cube owners through the following game drought.  Nintendo absolutely cannot make such a foolish mistake again.  They HAVE to have a killer app for launch and if that means moving Mario 128 to the N5 I'm all for it.

One thing I'd like to see in Mario 128: flight!  Flying was one of the best parts of Super Mario Bros 3, Super Mario World, and Super Mario 64.  The fact that it wasn't in Sunshine made the game more disappointing.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2003, 11:28:59 AM »
The hover and rocket nossles were supposed to make p for that, I guess.  They should have used the special nozzles more, and made them easier to use.  Stupid rocket nozzle...
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2003, 06:34:35 PM »
Well Nintendo might unveil Mario 128 at their press conference next week... who knows.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2003, 06:47:57 PM »
.megaton.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2003, 07:16:20 PM »
Nah, the "Megaton" is something else... *gives a very serious smile*

I thought SMS was a great idea with the pump and all.  Excellent variation on the platform genre.  Death to the haters...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~