Author Topic: Nintendo to go the way of Sega + Nintendo is for kids  (Read 15197 times)

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
Nintendo to go the way of Sega + Nintendo is for kids
« on: September 10, 2003, 12:37:19 AM »
http://www.nypost.com/business/5379.htm

Horray for another crappy article written by dumbasses who know nothing about the games industry! So much BS in that article i cant be bothered pulling it all apart. Sadly this is how most people view the GC as anyway.  

EDIT: Now with pic, Clicky!

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Nintendo to go the way of Sega - Nintendo is for kids
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2003, 03:05:53 AM »
hehehe yep, set your faces to stunned or er... pre expected garbage... face... or something

this 'analysist' contradicts her self at every turn, nintendo will do a sega and drop support, nintendo have top class selling franchises, whether nintendo will create a new console is debateable, nintendo have confirmed a new console

and so forth, yipee nintendo bashing is tired work! *orderes a tab* no time for that now! the computer is starting!

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2003, 03:23:06 AM »

"Right now the jury's out on whether they will create a next-generation system," she said. [.q]

A LIE!

Eidos is the second software maker to abandon the GameCube. Acclaim, producer of titles like "NBA Jam," dropped the system in June. Olhava said other smaller producers could follow suit if the incremental costs of developing for three systems prove too high.

A LIE.  Acclaim never dropped GCN all together, and neither has Eidos.

The GameCube library will expand to 320 games by year-end, the biggest support for any Nintendo console ever," said George Harrison, the company's senior v.p. for marketing.

SOUNDS FABRICATED.  I am pretty sure the Gameboy has a lot more that 320 games in it's library, just for the old black and white Gameboy.

Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline iTZKooPA

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2003, 04:06:35 AM »
yea this lady is just utterly stupid
now ya gotta realize its not doing as well as Nintendo hopped but they did already announce a new system for GBA and a new console and they also announced theyd never drop support, but instead just leave the industry
-KooPA

Offline iTZKooPA

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2003, 04:14:28 AM »
Although it has supported more "adult" games (including the "Star Wars" titles), the average Nintendo buyer is about 10 years younger than the owner of a PlayStation 2.

Star Wars?! Thats what they point out? What about Eternal Darkness or Resident Evil or something with ACTUAL ADULT CONTENT?!
-KooPA

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2003, 05:28:21 AM »
Umm its the NY Post.... Its the biggest joke when it comes to actual news. I wouldnt give 2 rats behind about it....  

Offline iTZKooPA

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2003, 06:20:27 AM »
yea NY Post is pretty crappy, but still people read it so its alot of disinformation
-KooPA

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
RE:Nintendo to go the way of Sega - Nintendo is for kids
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2003, 06:55:09 AM »

Although it has supported more "adult" games (including the "Star Wars" titles), the average Nintendo buyer is about 10 years younger than the owner of a PlayStation 2.

Now, that is BS.  Truthfully, i have no idea why i'm surprised.  One has to wonder if she was 'asked' to do this 'article', and by whom.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2003, 07:18:37 AM »
Its not a woman. The author is a guy, who quotes a female analyst. Look the NY Post is a joke, dont pay too much attention to it. If your still angry, you can email them your thoughts...

Offline joshnickerson

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2003, 07:32:58 AM »
Sigh... I swear, this must be a fad among news reports nowadays, to see which one can slam Nintendo the most, based on the most incorrect and fabricated information.
I guess this is what Nintendo gets for being honest about it's inventory. No wonder they've been so secretive as of late.

Offline iTZKooPA

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2003, 08:52:40 AM »
OF LATE?
Nintendo has ALWAYS been very secretive.  I think the media is just being stupid.  If they would look a the number they would see that Nintendo isn't losing tons of money or anything, they are just losing the race.  That doesn't mean they are screwed financially (because they aren't).  Instead they just go with whatever people tell them.  Eidos said it was decling business so they took it at face value instead of looking into things themselves (we already have questions Eidos' comments about N in another post to death).  Reporters, and even website reporters should look into stuff, unless the guy was being objective (such as if he simply reported Eidos' decision, instead of using some analyst and only one and formulating a "report") which he certainly wasn't.
-KooPA

Offline NintendoFanGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2003, 09:31:19 AM »
Feel free to e-mail this person

Offline Berto2K

• This could be you, at E3.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2003, 10:11:51 AM »
NintendoFanGirl, that doesn't go to the editor.  That is if you want to send it to someone else.  I sent an email to the guy listed as being in charge of online editorials here.
Pietriots, we roll out to get the lol out.

Offline AgentSeven

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2003, 10:25:17 AM »
Good work with the e-mail link FanGirl.

Here's something many of you do not probably know.  The NY Post is one of the worst, most biast newspapers in the country.  They are owned by NewsCorp (FOX), and Fox has special ties to..(drum roll please...)$ONY!  For God sakes!!!  This sort of crap really pisses me off.  

$ony and FOX have had a special relationship for years.  I work and live in Los Angeles.  I briefly worked for $ony, a.k.a. Columbia/TriStar Pictures in early 1995.  Even back then FOX and $ony were close. Now one of my closest friends and my agent both work for FOX studios.  $ony and FOX are practically in bed together.  They share production space on their studio lots, they help to promote each others films, and most of the TV advertising you will see for a $ony picture will be on FOX stations.  (and in their newspapers.)

This is article is EXACTLY the sort of mind control B.S. that I am out here to fight in the first place.
This is why I say "Bringing you the fight for freedom."  Do you know how many underinformed idiots will read this article and believe it without question.  That is the power of ignorance and yellow journalism.

I think the REAL story behind this peice is this.  $ony is really starting to feel the pinch from both Nintendo and Microsoft. Their online plans have failed. (some retailers have stopped ordering online bundles, like the one I work for.)  Also many important business analysts predict that $ony will lose %60 of it's installed user base during the next round of console wars.  $ony may not act like the are in trouble, and they will never admit that very same fact.  So instead, what's the best thing they can do to distract the public from their woes?  Cook up some BS story about Nintendo being doomed.
"I am not a number, I am a free man"    "$ony=Atari Circa 1984"

Got a Defective ps2?  Go here: http://www.sheller.com/sonyPS2classaction.html

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2003, 12:07:21 PM »
While the article, I'm sure, is very uneducated and entirely biased (although I haven't read it myself, so I don't know for sure), I do not see how it's some conspiracy formulated by Sony to rail on Nintendo that was passed down the ranks through Fox to the New York Post. The writers for newspapers are pretty autonomous, and can write about what they like for the most part. I think it's much more likely the person who wrote this article simply has absolutely no clue what he's talking about.  
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline egman

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2003, 01:51:14 PM »
*Sigh* How am I not surprised that an article about this has come out this soon. As much as I love to slam idiots like Eidos, the reality is that their words do serious damage. Nintendo doesn't have to hurt their own image, misinformed reporters and poorily ran 3rd parties seem just as lethal. : (

I hope for Nintendo's sake they have a tremendous Holiday season. I want EAD to shut the haters up with MK: DD. I want SK to silence their critics with MGS. I want Viewtiful Joe to explode in the west in ways Capcom may not have imagined. I want Factor 5 to show the fanboys how to make a Star Wars game. Every time I see crap articles like this it just makes me wish even harder for Nintendo and its true supporters to come out swinging. Nintendo's has its problems, but even when they have done something good there are people who will find a way to spin it in a negative light. There just seems to me that much stupidity and vitrol being lobbed at Nintendo right now.

I'm now at the point where I'm seriously not interested in getting any of the next gen consoles. This industry is turning to trash in my eyes, and I rather not fund it. Video games are quickly becoming just bad as the music and movie industry.

(Sorry for the ranting, but there are days when I come online to read the news and just wonder about the direction of the video game industry and Nintendo. In spite of Nintendo's issues, I feel that they nearly solved all of their big problems from the N64 days and overall I'm by far more satisfied with the GC than any other system this gen. I just find it ridiculous that the press and some of 3rd parties can't seem to get beyond the family image and see the improvement and the effort.)  

Offline AgentSeven

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2003, 01:51:37 PM »
You're right and your'e wrong.  Yes, this writer has NO IDEA what he's talking about.

However, the writers are not autonomous as you say, and often times, they are told what to write and how to say it.  It's not a conspiracy, just the every day happenings in the world of publcisits and tabloid writers.  (The NY post is a filty tabloid.)
"I am not a number, I am a free man"    "$ony=Atari Circa 1984"

Got a Defective ps2?  Go here: http://www.sheller.com/sonyPS2classaction.html

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2003, 02:21:10 PM »
Everyone should hail AgentSeven, for he is god.  No actually, he's right.... you can't believe news like that because media organizations are actually corporate whores.
They write what their told if it helps out their corporate buddies.
it was time for a change.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2003, 03:22:16 PM »
I just don't see the use of Sony going through every connection they have just to produce one article that slams Nintendo. I wouldn't put it beyond their marketing department, but Sony isn't stupid, and wouldn't waste money on something as useless as telling their buddies Fox that they should get their newspaper/tabloid the NY Post write an obscure article only gamers are going to get anyway that bashes Nintendo. Sony could've done that themselves, and they have, with very effective results. Sony could also have gotten Fox news to slam Nintendo themselves- more people watch the news than read the newspaper, and a bit about videogames would be a great way not only to get gamers to tune in but to compete with CNN's EGM segment. Like I said, I wouldn't put it beyond Sony to do something like this, but it seems entirely too complicated and intricate to be worth anything at all. I think it's much more likely that the author of this one article suddenly got it in his head one day that he should be an ignorant jack@$$ and bash Nintendo. I'm sure he was motivated to since Sony does have ties to the NY Post, but I can see no possible reason for Sony to be directly involved.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Berto2K

• This could be you, at E3.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2003, 09:51:38 PM »
Besides that facts that the author doesn't know a thing about what he is talking about, and that article has a very biased tilt to it, the "analyst" doesn't seem too bright either.  Last I knew, journalists weren't supposed to be biased unless it is an opinion article.  Also, the author has the resposibility to double check his information.  With less work than it took to get ahold of the "analyst", he could have easily found all her points wrong. I did send an email to them countering all her comments.  I actually hope they get back to me too, just to see what their reply is. I can post the email if you want.  
Pietriots, we roll out to get the lol out.

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2003, 10:44:11 PM »
not that i expect them to, but if they did reply by all means post it. even for a doom and gloom nintendo is for kids and sucks etc type 'editorial' this one blows :\

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2003, 11:29:43 PM »
After reading it, I am left with one burning question.

Why does this article even exist?  The contents aren't "news", per se.  Everything in it has already been reported, except for the highly editorial comment of an analyst, who is just repeating the idée du jour.  
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2003, 01:33:06 AM »
I let mr. Shaw have it as well.  There were so many ridiculous statements , i had to.  The Post is garbage, so why did i bother?  Frankly, its 6:30 am eastern time, and i'm bored out of my head.  But it was fun while it lasted.  
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Gamebasher

• Flaming the competition...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2003, 07:22:54 AM »
Mouseclicker and Agent Seven:

SONY are crap, have been that since the beginning and will one day soon perish!

If you don´t believe me, let me tell you that corporations that make a living from ripping off other people through hardware made faulty on purpose to increase profit, and corporations who thrive on selling machines that are easily modded to play piracy software will pay through the termination of their business! The amount of damage SONY has inflicted on the industry is beyond measure right now, but the very way they assume "no responsibility" is appaling and only shows even more clearly what they are. They won´t be smiling for much longer! For their joy is unrighteous joy!! SONY had a considerable share in the destruction of the SEGA Dreamcast even though they didn´t have to, as they knew they were going to win (no need to beat somebody who´s already lying down) anyway, and they have used every means to bully anybody else where they could, including Nintendo! They did nothing to prevent their machine from being used for counterfeit software. They could have done something, but didn´t!

The very means through which they gotto where they are, therefore makes me shun!! them completely - because they should NOT dominate an industry they´ve started the destruction of! Piracy should be fought and destroyed as quickly as possibly and never overlooked in any way whatsoever. It simply takes all the creativity out of the industry and stagnates the market indefinitely as no new players are even allowed to enter! Absolute power corrupts, and causes the fall of those holding it as corruption will not be tolerated.

I don´t know how many developers have perished because of the ongoing piracy problem, but I know it is MANY and I know that SONY has a huge stake in creating this situation in the first place.

So rest assured that one day SONY will pay their Karma! NOBODY, nomatter how great or rich or invulnerable they think themselves to be, will escape the natural balancing from the side of Nature! God is supreme Ruler and holder of Power and His Eternal Laws laid down in All things from the Foundation of the Void ensures all the time (!!) that criminals get their punishment. No longdrawn courtbattles, stalled by full intent. They just pay - BANG! - and then they f*** off! BWA-HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Books like "The Rise and The Fall of the Great Powers" (Forgot the authors name) will tell you exactly about the cycles of birth and destruction of things, including dumb SONY´s!!

The only thing I am annoyed about right now, is the time it takes until they´ve received their punishment! But I think we´re getting c-l-o-s-e...heheeee!!!

GameBasher.    
Nintendo is the originator of videogame innovation! The Great Mover of the Industry. Past, present and future. Rightfully, the King of Videogaming!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2003, 07:45:13 AM »
Now that is certainly biased, Gamebasher. I never heard of piracy actually destroying a business, except in the outrageous claims of the RIAA (which Sony is a member of). I think N tried to implement better copy protection simply because they make games themselves. About that faulty HW, well, everybody does it. Cars are built in a way they are most expensive to repair. Do people complain?