Author Topic: FIX your game cube READ DISK ERROR problem (Repair Guide Inside Post)  (Read 37021 times)

Offline pyromagician04

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: FIX your game cube READ DISK ERROR problem (Repair Guide Inside Post)
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2004, 07:11:20 AM »
Boffo when I puch it to the center everytime I turn the system on it go's back out a little every time.

RE:FIX your game cube READ DISK ERROR problem (Repair Guide Inside Post)
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2004, 08:41:15 AM »
question am i taking the spindle part out or am i lifting up the part thats around it to get to the spindle ...you know the part part that looks like it can flip up....because i tried for awhile to lift the spindle out of there ...and that boy aint budging...let me know if i'm doing something wrong
Who ever isn't strong enough to rhymth with me should surrender their souls and combine with me or die violently

Offline JasonHilton

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2004, 05:01:20 AM »
Ok, I have a big problem.... while I was taking the spindle off, I think I pulled to hard and broke the spindle in half.... Now I need a new spindle or a new gamecube. PLEASE!!! DOES SOMEONE HAVE A WORKING SPINDLE OR KNOW WHERE I CAN BUY ONE???  

Offline ProfessorCFK

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2004, 01:42:55 AM »
Can you please elaborate on how to take out the spindle, i just dont see it happening.

Offline nakedfrog

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2004, 03:12:59 PM »
Okay, I goofed it up a bit (but don't think I broke anything) and may have a tip on how to get the spindle loose. What I had to do what get a thumbnail under each side, then lifted a little with one side, then the other, and worked it loose like that. If it helps, you can picture what's underneath it as just a small metal pole. There's a hole in the underside of the spindle, and that's what keeps the two together. You just need to work the spindle off the metal pole.
I just got this done, so I haven't glued it back together to see if this fixes it or not, but hopefully it'll help someone out. Maybe I'll try to take a picture of the spindle once it's put back together, before I put it back in.

« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2004, 12:14:47 PM »
I found that holding teh Cube in your lap and tilting it back while using your thumbnails to lift the cd spindle out works quite easily, although you mind how much force you're using and what you're doing so the spindle won't fly off or you accidentally knock the laser about or something.  As for how common it is for the clips to break and cause the read error, I cannot say.  Mine were intact.  Which means I hafta kick Nintendo now.  

From the number of people having this problem and the hell it's given me, I'm begining to think that it's not worth getting professionally repaired or replacing it if I cannot repair it myself.  Was worth the shot, anyway.

Offline mickeyg

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2004, 07:07:02 AM »
Backslider has done a great job of explaining this fix. In appreciation of Backslider and others on this forum, I would like to add some thoughts on what worked for me when trying to fix our child's gamecube.

1. The spindle consists of an outer ring and an inner ring. These rings are where you snap down the game disc. The inner ring is about the size of a dime. The outer ring (around the inner ring) is about the size of a quarter. If you take a dime and center it on top of a quarter, you should be able to picture this. The entire spindle assembly is only about 1/4 inch high. You must gently pry up the outer ring. I used two small screwdrivers on opposite ends of the outer ring. It took very little force and about 2 -3 seconds to get the spindle out. In my case, this was not the problem.

2. I also tried adjusting the potentiometer, a procedure which I believe is also explained very well on this forum. That did not work either at first.

3. I ordered a replacement laser on eBay (total cost including shipping of $35.00). I also ordered the tri-wing screwdrivers and gamebits from an on-line vendor (total cost I believe was about $20.00). So I have invested about $55.00 in this, but I need to clean the games for the kids' Nintendo 64 & Gameboys and I have to occassionally clean the Gameboy itself. The tri-wing is also useful on little kids' toys so I consider the purchase of the tools to be money well spent.

4. Replacing the laser was suprisingly easy. Removing the old laser involves disconnecting a ribbon cable (???) that leads from the laser and three screws that hold down two rods over which the laser slides. Note: I found it helpful to leave the old laser in until I was ready to install the new laser because I am a bit slow when it comes to new technology. I needed to see how everything goes together. There is also a white piece of plastic on the old laser that has to be popped off and attached to the new laser. After that you reverse the process. I also used a toothpick to place a little white lithium grease on the 2 rods over which the laser slides. After that I had to adjust the potentiometer again to get the laser to work properly for an extended period of time. I suggest holding off on putting all of the remaining 14+ screws back in until the kids or you have played the game for a few hours.

5. Another key factor that appears to be affecting these Gamecubes is heat/humidity. I brought a big fan into the playroom. That seems to have helped.  

I believe that if I could fix this anyone can. It was not all that complex. I hope this helps.

MickeyG    

Offline JamesKPolk11th

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2004, 07:50:15 AM »
I dont know if what you guys are trying to do will actually work, but i do have a guide that i've used that does work, it doesnt have anything to do with broken spindles, it is a lens calibration guide, all you really do is turn a screw about 5 degrees and your gamecube is fixed!  Try it, http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/gamecube/file/gamecube_lens_calibrate.txt

Offline jon_roffel

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2004, 12:45:16 PM »
Never Mind

Offline stephk

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2004, 11:52:42 PM »
I am a female who has never tried to fix anything like this. I started following the instructions without reading the whole thing so i ended up taking the inner spindle off without the outer one. In doing so one of the ball bearings fell inside and the other two went flying.  I was in over my head.  Is there any hope for my gamecube?

Offline burgersoft777uk

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2004, 12:01:34 PM »
I think the warning read everything before trying this needs to be taken on board !
truth is this is a kill or cure situation if your cube is over a year old and you have no extra cover its worth a try my sons cube started to play up tonight so im looking into it and if the spindles broken all well and good i'll try it but
the price for a new cube prohibits trying to get a more professional fix. One thing I have noticed is that all this
generation of consoles are less robust and long lasting than the last My sons have a ps1 which is 3years old and still works great  N64 same,and the mega drive is 6 years if its a day  but we are on our 2nd x-box 2nd ps2 and most likely on our 2nd gamecube all these machines lasted about 2 years in each case..creative marketing ? prehaps im just unlucky .

Offline Dukobe8

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2004, 11:09:42 PM »
There is another quick way to fix some read error problems. You can use the link backslider provided with the picture for a reference. Look at the picture and look at where the lazer eye is.  it is right beside the the large piece that holds the spindle. The lazer eye can slide back and forth, and after awhile, it can slide so far out of place that it causes disc read errors. Simply push it back into place up against where the spindle is, and voila! Your disc read errors could very well be solved.

Offline maddenmaster9

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2004, 02:48:27 PM »
The spinddle disk is not the problem on my gamecube. Last time i had this problem i was able to find directions to fix it by adjusting somethign on the inside, i think the potentiometer. I forget how to do it though and i cant find the instructions again... someone help me out
GP

Offline FaithHaven

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2005, 04:52:58 AM »
We just started encountering this error.

My husband took the spindle off with much difficulty (but now we wonder if i broken one of the wings? that it slides into. Could someone tell us how to but the spindle back in the system on the spring? The pins keep popping out (it's quite aggravating).

ADDED: Seems the little clips popup and the spindle won't stay down.

Offline FaithHaven

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2005, 05:41:19 AM »
I got it to work (so far) without the spring.

Offline FaithHaven

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2005, 06:12:08 AM »
Nix that doesn't work. I can't keep the little motor down with the spring. ERRG!