Author Topic: "Suprising and Unique"  (Read 6479 times)

Offline theRPGFreak

• OVERLORD
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
"Suprising and Unique"
« on: August 08, 2003, 06:52:48 PM »
The president of Nintendo recently said that the next Gamecube console will be "suprising and unique." I am sure that rumors are already flying around the intrenet about what he said, so that is the resaon why I am poasting this. I would like to get an idea from other Nintendo fans of what the next console will have that he meant of this.
"I can't read...im not a loser."~Master Shake

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: "Suprising and Unique"
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2003, 06:56:48 PM »
i dont think it will be anyhting surprising or unique, its just the hype machine starting early, and well, it worked for playstation 2, it can work for nintendo also

Offline theRPGFreak

• OVERLORD
    • View Profile
RE:"Suprising and Unique"
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2003, 07:02:23 PM »
I don't know about that. The problem with what we have seen with the PS2 GC and XBOX is that all that really seems to matter is what gaems they each have that the other system does not. I honestly think that with the new system, we will see Nintendo make the new GBA and the new GC much more similar to each other, seeing how this is something that the other consoles are not going to do.

Offline DRJ

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2003, 07:35:22 PM »
They're going to announce the limited edition yellow gamecube and pink poca dot gbasp.

Seriously I dont understand why whenever anything vague is said about something new people start going crazy with what it is. time and time again it turns out to be something minor, since our expectations are so high.

Just wait and find out.
Ralph: Hi, Principal Skinner! Hi, Super Nintendo Chalmers!

Offline theRPGFreak

• OVERLORD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2003, 08:01:36 PM »
You make a good point there DRJ, but all that I am saying is that Nintendo likes to do things unique and diffrent. Now that they have a new President who seems much more focussed than the last, I really think that Nintendo will do something this time around to stand out rather than just have a purple console in the shape of a lunch box. My theory is that the GBA will take Nintendo's connectivity idea to the next level, and we will see online play have some sort of role in this.

Offline Ms.Pikmin

• Ow, my GOB!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2003, 09:22:18 PM »
the RPGFreak, you may want to check the Fast Forward board.  There are tons of posts with speculation on the next console.  

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2003, 09:38:45 PM »
I just wanted to point out that we don't know that the "new product which will be surprising and unique" is the next Nintendo console. For one thing Iwata calls it a "new product" and he also addresses the next Nintendo console and handheld separately albeit vaguely. Even when asked whether this new product would be a next generation console or software Iwata wouldn't answer. This tells me it could be either one.

I personally have been thinking that this "new product which will be surprising and unique" will be like the VirtualBoy in the sense that it will be a third and separate gaming device from the next console and handheld. Considering Iwata's extremely cryptic and vague statement though it just as well could be a new peripheral, game, or completely new gaming device. It could very be the next console or handheld as well.

All I'm really certain of is that it better be worth all the hype and the long wait till it's finally announced.  
Hey, kid! I’m a computer! Stop all the downloadin’! Help computer!

Offline Michael8983

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2003, 10:00:51 PM »
I think it will actually be a PART of its new console. Some kind of new accessory that will allow people to play games in a new way. Likely something to make games more accessible to people. That seemed to be the focus of the conference where this thing was announced. That Nintendo wants its games to be easier to pick up and play.
I think it will end up being something really simple but ingenius. One of those things that ends up seeming like such an obvious step forward even though no one had either thought of it or found a way to make it practical before.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2003, 10:03:39 PM »
When did anyone say anything about another console? Never. "New game product" does NOT mean console.

Offline Bishman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2003, 10:06:24 PM »
I think it will be a GC SP. Something like that.

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2003, 05:38:36 AM »
maybe its super mario 128- miyamoto did say that the new mario game will be fresh and new and they did not show it claiming that the game play could be stolen then
but who knows- maybe it is just the new nintendo system
i call the big one bitey.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2003, 05:44:12 AM »
I think its a VR rig of some kind....
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Rich

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2003, 09:21:16 AM »
no i don't think Nintendo wants to go back to VR waters. that thing totally bombed and i think Nintendo learned its lesson the first time around.

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2003, 09:33:21 AM »
It is one of these things, take your pick:

-New Nintendo Console
-New Gameboy Machine
-Mario 128

I doubt they would unveil a new peripheral. How much hype can you give it? I mean this is going to be unveiled at E3 2004; it has to be bigger than that.

Offline theRPGFreak

• OVERLORD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2003, 09:56:15 AM »
Now that I think about it, maybee it might be something that hooks u pto the GabeCube itself as a new playing device, sort of how DDR was the first game to use a dance pad or how Duck Hunt used a gun first. It could be something that will let gamers play Mario 128 in a whole new way...

Offline SuperLink666

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2003, 09:59:21 AM »
Wireless gun controller with a new duck hunt game

www.warppipe.com
GameCube games - Playable online!

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2003, 10:00:11 AM »
Virtual Boy wasn't VR.  I'm talking full gyroscopic motion sensing of your head movements... imagine the new metroid title where when you turn your head, you actually look that way.  Didn't Kodak announce that Nintendo was going to be using their new screens a while back????
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Michael8983

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2003, 11:00:29 AM »
I think controllers with built in gyroscopes could fit the bill.
That would definitly make some games easier to pick up and play. You could use the entire controller as a steering wheel or a flight-yolk, etc...
The geniuses at Nintendo could no doubt come up with all kinds of neat uses for it. Actually, it's already been toying with tilt-sensing with Kirby's Tilt-N-Tumble for the GB and that strange Gamecube title which was originally a Kirby game but was changed.  
Having the feature be a standard for its next-gen controllers would definitly have a big effect on how games are developed and how they're played. Plus it would give the new console a nice gimmick to get people interested in it and an exclusive feature to lure third-parties.
It would also serve as a baby-step into virtual reality. Nintendo's NEXT next console could pair it with actual VR glasses for a full virtual reality effect.

Offline MagicToenail

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2003, 01:15:15 PM »
Does anyone remember the old power glove for NES? I still use that all the time, along with my virtual boy. The Virtual Reality concept wouild be awesome. You could have glasses and just like whoever said, when you turn your head its like turning the camera, and the power glove could be a part of it too. You would see the action first hand and your friends would see it  on the screen. Nintendo could sell BILLIONS!!! BILLIOONS!!!
MEGATON!!!!!
Currently playing: Mario 64 DS and Resident Evil 4

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2003, 04:38:04 PM »

Originally posted by: Nintendo Gamecube
It is one of these things, take your pick:

-New Nintendo Console
-New Gameboy Machine
-Mario 128

I doubt they would unveil a new peripheral. How much hype can you give it? I mean this is going to be unveiled at E3 2004; it has to be bigger than that.

Spot on. Either one of them, or another game. But whatever it is, its going to be revolutionary.

Offline DRJ

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2003, 07:27:42 PM »
I really think that they will introduce some info on their gba-sp successor. The psp is getting a lot of hype, and they need to put something out there to let people know that they have something better in mind.
Ralph: Hi, Principal Skinner! Hi, Super Nintendo Chalmers!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2003, 07:34:06 PM »
Eh... Tilt controllers aren't new. You remember the Microsoft Sidewinder Freestyle Pro? My friend has one of those. A gamepad with tilt sensor. Though one cannot use it properly for anything but Motocross Madness...

Offline BigJim

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2003, 10:07:01 PM »
I think it could be internet connectivity. It's vague enough to be for this console and the next.
"wow."

Offline AgentSeven

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2003, 11:07:54 PM »
"Suprising and Unique"

....It's not another console, too early for that.  Plus "NES-5" goes far beyond any of the current speculation.

....It's not a game.

....It's also not a gimmik item with limited appeal such as a new controller, dance pad, etc...

....It's not internet connectivity.  Sega already did that well over 2 1/2 years ago.  Plus no one mentions that for the most part X-Box live and the Ps2 online campaigns have failed.  Ps2 online has been and probably will continue to be ruined by online cheating.  And really, is there anything AT ALL worth playing on X-Box live?!  Online is OLD NEWS.  Dreamcast old.

I suspect that at least one person around here already knows exactly what this "suprising and unique" new item will be.

Isn't it amazing how tight lipped the video game indusry is?  I mean, I can read a movie script years before the films actual release.  Yet major video game news outlets can't uncover even the slightest detail of any "industry secret" without the approval of their corporate masters.

"I am not a number, I am a free man"    "$ony=Atari Circa 1984"

Got a Defective ps2?  Go here: http://www.sheller.com/sonyPS2classaction.html

Offline shadow

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2003, 09:30:40 PM »
Nintendo really wants keep it's firm grip on the handheld market, because it makes more money then the GameCube, and correct me if I'm wrong the PS2.
So they are probably going all out trying to make the best little handheld video game device that they can, just to leave Sony in the dust.
I live, that is my test.