Author Topic: 60 minutes:Nintendo-less  (Read 2264 times)

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
60 minutes:Nintendo-less
« on: August 06, 2003, 04:11:33 PM »
  The show was about video games and the slant towards more mature games recently.  They interviewed Gates and the head of the XBOX 'division', forgot his name.   Anyway, so i watch and its no big deal, until i hear BMX XXX come up in conversation.  60 minutes points out that Xbox has the full version, while Sony opted for the clean version.(no mention of Nintendo)  They then do a ridiculous interview with the 'creaters' of the 'game' from Acclaim.  When talking about the market, Sony and M$ are mentioned as competitors, but not Nintendo, once again.  Now, i understand Nintendo isn't known for mature games, but they have possibly the 2 best last year in ED and RE(alright, RE isn't the best, but it certainly deserves attetion).  My question is:  What are the sales for GC versus XBOX in the U.S.?  Is it so bad that they're not even a blip on the radar?  I know its only 60 minutes, but thats like free advertising , and it appears Nintendo still needs to learn this.  Who would've thought that an episode of 60 minutes , with the subject being video games, wouldn't mention Nintendo?  I guess i'm just old and cranky...
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Jdub03

• Bert Stanton speaking.
    • View Profile
RE: 60 minutes:Nintendo-less
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2003, 04:32:19 PM »
I believe nintendo is ahead of microsoft by a bit, im not sure.  But anyway these things are so common that now they have no affect on me whatsoever.  I like nintendo, I buy nintendo games, I play them, I enjoy them.  As long as nintendo continues to make consoles with great games im satisfied(which nintendo did state they would continue to do).  I could care less what some dumbass, biased reporter said on 60 minutes. As you can clearly tell his report was not objective... AT ALL.  Objective reporting is a real rarity these days...anyway enough of my babbling thats what I have to say.
How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Fish

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2003, 05:51:26 PM »
Actually XBOX is ahead roughly a million in US, where as GC is ahead about 1.5-2million in Japan(do´h) so its not a huge difference and there is no exact info about EU sales, but GC is ahead worldwide though.

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2003, 06:30:26 PM »
Another reason why I don't watch CBS.
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2003, 03:28:25 AM »
Nintendo is 2nd place worldwide with about 9.7 million and Microsoft with 9.4 million.  Sony is first place with the deceitful and inflated figures they throw out and unlearned media eat up like candy.  Come on Sony, fess up and say how many consoles have actually been sold and are still working.  We all know you make shoddy systems that break, just look at all the complaints with PS and PS2 to know that this is true.
Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2003, 05:46:54 AM »
Is this the story where the old guy interviews Bill Gates and has a go of Fusion Frenzy? The one where he goes to Acclaim and EA HQs and learns about hpow realistic games are, and evern gets himself digitised into a baseball and basketball game?

If so, then how did we get the story first in Australia?
I saw that like a month ago.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline Ms.Pikmin

• Ow, my GOB!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2003, 08:21:41 AM »

Originally posted by: Termin8Anakin
I
If so, then how did we get the story first in Australia?
I saw that like a month ago.

It's mostly repeats during the summer here.

I only caught the end when they were talking about SIMS.  They spoke to a lady who is a bit obsessed.  She actually said that she gets so immersed in SIMS that if someone tickles you in the game it's like you are getting tickled.  Then she went on to say that if you kiss someone in the game that it's like you really kissed someone.  I say get a freaking grip lady.  If kissing someone on a video game feels like the real thing to you then you need to turn the game off and go find a human being.  I think she was married.  She said something about telling her husband not to be jealous of who she kisses in the game.  Poor guy must be feeling lonely and uh..a bit frustrated if she is to the point of comparing real physical contact with contact between game characters.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2003, 08:55:35 AM »
  Maybe it was a repeat, but its the first i saw of it.

That lady with the SIMS, what a joke!  She is obviously unhappy in her own life, and we know the husband is very unhappy

But anyway, i thought it was a rather big slap in the face, acting like there are only 2 consoles.  Acclaim?  BMX XXX,? If the subject was ;'mature' games, why not show GTA3 or something that actuallly sold?  Utter nonsense.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2003, 08:21:37 PM »
yeah, i remember that Sims bit.
LOsers, they all are.......depsite having teh job of one of my dreams - games, that is. Not kissing......wait........Damn, shouldn't have said anything.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence