Author Topic: International Tabletop Day  (Read 12807 times)

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
International Tabletop Day
« on: April 25, 2017, 10:30:59 PM »
I know there are some people here who play unplugged games too - but does anyone have plans to enjoy some board games for International Tabletop Day?  It's coming this Saturday, and I'm excited.

Exactly what we'll be playing isn't decided, but I am getting together with some friends. One possibility is Captain Sonar (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yjo4iXyDPtw) although we've got a bunch of other possible titles in mind too.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 08:31:39 AM by ejamer »
NNID: ejamer

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Re: International Tabletop Day
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 10:52:19 PM »
Captain Sonar looks incredible. I can't imagine wrangling up 4-8 players that would be able to handle its complexity, however.

I love playing some of the more popular tabletop games- Risk, Pandemic, Catan, and Dominion. But I'm also interested in any sort of new game and I love super deep, system-centric sorts of games. Things that take 10-15 minutes to explain but 45-90 minutes to play.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 06:35:52 AM »
It is really hard to get a bunch of people together to play board games of any sort and just as hard to play as everyone needs to know the rules. The logistics can be overwhelming setting aside the exclusionary nature of the social groups in question.

It might be easier these days as you now have access to virtual table top in the form of Tabletop Simulator and the easy access to Steam friends. I don't have it but I am interested if someone here have any opinions on it.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 09:01:47 AM »
Didn't know there was an "international board game day" haha, but I'll shoot my friends a message. We're pretty casual though and mostly default to Catan. Occassionally Risk or Monopoly will happen, but I'm convinced everyone secretly hates Monopoly, and Risk is much more of a mixed bag it seems.

Should maybe look for something new and similar someday, just to shake things up.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 09:31:29 AM »
A friend's birthday is this weekend so we were going to head down to our local board room cafe for a day, but I wonder if it'll be busier than normal because of this.

Hoping they picked up Bohnanza: I tried it at PAX East and it was a blast.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 10:31:12 AM »
Should maybe look for something new and similar someday, just to shake things up.

Have you considered trying Risk: Europe? It's kind of looks like Risk... but plays very differently and has a lot of cool features. Or maybe something like Carcassonne would be fun to mix things up.

Hoping they picked up Bohnanza: I tried it at PAX East and it was a blast.

Love this game. Everything stays involved thanks to the active trading, and there are always lots of laughs.
Care to accept a bean donation?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 12:52:51 PM »
I've always been kind of interested in tabletop gaming, but most of my friends live just far enough away that we can't get together in person regularly enough for it to be a real option.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 02:24:49 PM »
Monopoly is pretty much trash as there isn't any real choices to be made. You either land on those properties to purchase or you don't. More often than not no one has an advantage so you slowly bleed each other with transfusions by passing GO which can continue near indefinitely even with houses as everyone will have houses.

Risk also has far too much luck and is pretty trash. You can be in a immensely advantageous position but the roll means you lose half the army to one or two opposition units. Then there is the fact the moment you fall behind there is no system in place to prevent a death spiral leaving the winner to play clean up.

Everybody likes Catan as you always have something to play or a choice to make. The system punishes hoarding encourages trade and for people to form alliances. Players can never really get too far ahead of everyone so a comeback system isn't needed with wins being pretty narrow.

Zombiecide can be a lot of fun but the default rules are far too hard so you are better off with some house rules to make it a little bit more playable until you get the hang of it. For example the targeting rules are straight up BS and pretty much guarantee you will get fucked over by it because you can't shoot the weaker zombies because somehow the fat one is eating all the bullets or you are must shoot your friend no matter what rendering the possibility of last second rescues moot.

The weapons are ok in theory but you never get enough AP even if you are in a dead sprint for the objectives. The ramp up is just beyond brutal rendering the weapons pretty useless very quickly.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 05:18:30 PM »
Monopoly is pretty much trash as there isn't any real choices to be made. You either land on those properties to purchase or you don't. More often than not no one has an advantage so you slowly bleed each other with transfusions by passing GO which can continue near indefinitely even with houses as everyone will have houses.

I'll fight you.

There is a lot of chance in Monopoly, yes, but there is skill in it as well.  If you look at the various tournaments and championships, you'll see there are a lot of big names that show up often - it's because they know the skills needed to win repeatedly.

The trick to Monopoly is to play by the rules, 100%.  No money on free parking, property not purchased is auctioned, limited number of houses (there are 32.  Period.  'Everyone has houses' doesn't work when one guy is sitting on 24 of them and refuses to upgrade to hotels).

Is Monopoly a *great* game?  Ehhhh.... is it my go-to game if I have a choice?  Ehhhh... Can I enjoy a game of Monopoly with a group of people who just want to kick back and have fun?  Yes.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 07:25:49 PM »
Wow, I was going to stick up for Monopoly (a game that I don't like all that much, but which works ok if played by the rules with skilled opponents) but UncleBob stole all my thunder. If you aren't auctioning property and doing hard-line negotiating, then you aren't really playing.
 ;)

I'm sorry to hear so many people say they don't live close enough to friends to make tabletop gaming possible. It can be lots of fun when the opportunity arises and there are so many different games available now - really something for everything!

I have a cool game called Catacombs that plays out sort of like a live-action Gauntlet... your team of heroes literally flick wooden discs across the board to battle all kinds of bad guys, eventually getting to a huge boss that you have to take down cooperatively. It's fantastic.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2017, 12:16:05 AM »
Nobody I played with back in the day had the in box rules for monopoly, hell my copy of it has lost the rules sheet.

When I mean everyone has a house I mean no one has a housing advantage not that you are using lego bricks for them. You are just passing money backwards and forwards until someone rolls bad enough to maybe start losing. The end-game is this terrible grind.

People like the beginning because of the illusion of choice but once that goes away you are just rolling the dice waiting for the sweet release of death.

Tournaments and championships are the exceptions of like minded people who want to min-max what game there is.

The vast majority of he time you are going to be playing with your family. You play it as a kid because your parents knew it would keep you busy for the day. You play it with the in-laws because it is the least overtly offensive thing you can do stuck in the house. You played it with your friends as a kid because it the one game everyone had and you were to stupid or couldn't go outside.

Another problem is the pace of the game. If you have played an electronic version you would know that you are just mashing the button to move as fast as possible and even then that can take hours. Now do that with real people, not happening. If you want to talk don't bother playing monopoly, if you do want to play roll the dice already so you can make the next non-choice.

The electronic versions really opens up how terrible of a game this is.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2017, 01:36:19 AM »
If the people you are playing with aren't playing the game the way it's meant to be played, then that doesn't make the game bad.  If I'm playing Goldeneye 64 with a bunch of thumbless cats, that doesn't mean the game is bad. Either I have the wrong opponents or, perhaps we're playing the game wrong.  (Or, perhaps, it's a bad game, but, as you stated, tournament players have figured out how to play it so it's not just a game of chance). 

You state you've never seen the rules.  Perhaps, 20 years ago, when you started playing, this was a valid excuse.  But, in the age of the internet, this kind of stuff is at your fingertips.

Do me a favor.  Get together with three or so of your highly competitive friends.  Set a time and date for a week or so out.  Give them the official tournament rules for Monopoly.  Make a cash pot for the winner (Say, everyone throw in $12.50 so the winner gets $50).  Or, hell, make the losers have to do somehing really embarassing or something.  Then, let folks use the internet to read up on strategy and tips.  Then, play the game.  Tournament Rules are set at 90 mins.  It works out to a $33/hour wage for the winner.  If you make it that long.  I've had games last around an hour before we declare a winner.

I'm not going to change your mind and try to convince you that Monopoly is the world's greatest game.  It has flaws.  Lots of them.  But it can be fun.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2017, 02:11:50 AM »
I did say "back in the day" regarding the rules.

Read this carefully. It is in no way an endorsement of the "game".

Tournaments and championships are the exceptions of like minded people who want to min-max what game there is.

The strategy is to be lucky enough to gobble the Yellow and Orange up as they have the best ROI at an affordable price point with good coverage. That's it. Stick houses on them and wait for people to step on them. Everything else requires buying a lot of properties with capital you don't have. Park place/local equivalent is devastating but good luck waiting for someone to step on it.

LOL at getting friends together to play Monopoly. They would play anything but monopoly. It you have to try that hard to insert some fun then it isn't a good game in the first place.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2017, 03:44:19 AM »
Oddly enough, I'm meeting up with some friends Saturday to play Settlers of Cataan and had no idea it was this "Tabletop Day". Just a lucky coincidence.

I don't mind playing Monopoly although I think it works well with a lot of players like 6 - 8 because it forces more negotiations with properties more likely to be spread out and some players will be unlucky in acquiring property so they bleed out and progress is made and the balance of power can shift in more negotiations from the weak. Unclebob is right that it does help to play by the correct rules (auctioning properties can create great situations) but it is a game you just don't want to make the mistake of taking too seriously or battling hard on if you don't want to go through that endgame grind oohhboy mentions.

Likewise, I used to love Risk growing up but have seen the dice destroy players who were playing smartly but the randomness of battles doomed them and there wasn't anything they did wrong except get poor dice rolls.

My all-time favorite board game is Diplomacy though. It's a tricky thing to find people willing to learn the game and the nuances and potential strategies the board can offer as well as the time to play because it can be a long game but when you do, that game is like strategy cocaine. You will have highs and lows and moments you continually recall with your friends and you'll want to come back again and again for revenge, for redemption, for proving yourself to be a master strategist. My favorite board game memories would be Diplomacy and the lessons I've learned from it I carry over to many other games including Mafia played here on this site.

One other board game I own that you probably won't be able to find for sale anymore is Star Wars Epic Duels. I bought that game on a bit of a whim. My brother and I were on the height of our Star Wars fandom having recently gotten around to watching the movies for the first time and Episode 2 was now on its way. The idea of the game is to play as certain characters and be the last man standing. There are 4 different maps to choose from and play on. (Always wish there had been a few more). It's a card based battle system. You acquire attack and defense cards from a character specific deck and use these cards to attack, heal, defend or possibly move around with. Each character has a card with their HP level and if you give them enough hit damage to 0 out their HP level then they are eliminated. So, a bit like a card RPG game. Everyone I've introduced it to has liked it and the Star Wars hook has a bit of extra appeal still. After a practice round or game to learn the rules, people always want to play more and play it again. Definitely a fun diversion as you battle with your friends and navigate who's most dangerous as the game progresses. If you can locate a copy of the game, I highly recommend it.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2017, 08:06:29 AM »
Likewise, I used to love Risk growing up but have seen the dice destroy players who were playing smartly but the randomness of battles doomed them and there wasn't anything they did wrong except get poor dice rolls.

This happened to me before. My 16 armies vs opponents 2, for what would be a massive on-board advantage and put me in very strong position to win the game. I lost the battle, as we both had 1 army standing at the end; my lines were broken and I never recovered.

C'est la vie!  (But that was the last time I volunteered to join a game of vanilla Risk.)

My all-time favorite board game is Diplomacy though. ...

At the risk of causing problems... what about a NWR game of Diplomacy? I'd be in.

There is really no other game like Diplomacy. No luck, all negotiation, tenuous cooperation to achieve goals until somebody inevitably betrays their partner. It's something that everyone should experience at least once.

The reason I hesitate to ask is because the game can lead to hurt feelings is people take the betrayal too seriously. You need to accept that it will happen before starting, and that it's part of the game. As a bunch of Werewolf players, that kind of deception shouldn't be hard to understand though.

... Star Wars Epic Duels. ...

Epic Duels is one of the best Star Wars fan games ever made. They tend to be expensive now, but I grabbed a couple of copies when it was marked down for clearance back in the day as gifts. My brother and cousin both got a copy, and played them like mad. Even made up their own maps and stuff to expand the game. Great fun!

They made some other versions of the Epic Duels system, I think. Transformers definitely got one, but that game wasn't as well received because each deck of cards was for a single character instead of a team of two. Seemed to be less strategy involved, if I recall correctly... although it's such a light game anyway maybe that's not a big deal.

If you like Star Wars, you should try to track down the currently available Star Wars Risk. It's got "Risk" on the box, but plays nothing at all like that classic game - instead it's a slimmed down remake of a game called "Queen's Gambit" that came out years ago. (Queen's Gambit is a fantastic Star Wars game based on Episode I, but it's incredibly expensive now and not really worth the asking price IMHO.)

Star Wars Risk only supports two players, always finishes in under an hour, and recreates the final three battles during Return of the Jedi. It's a light game but very fun! You can often find them on sale for around $20 if you keep your eyes open. (Available right now in Canada at Toys R Us for CDN $25; in the US Amazon has the basic version for USD $25 or you can grab the "black series edition" with nicer components for USD $28.)

If you do play it, there are some rules clarifications here that help make the game more balanced, otherwise the Imperials will have a hard time winning:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1447610/some-rules-clarifications
Don't read the whole thread - it devolves into people making up a bunch of house rules (often because they fancy themselves as amateur designers who "know better" rather than learning to play well with the rules as published). The first post has all the info you need.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 08:15:03 AM by ejamer »

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2017, 08:30:36 AM »
The strategy is to be lucky enough to gobble the Yellow and Orange up as they have the best ROI at an affordable price point with good coverage. That's it.

From that sentence alone, I know that you've missed the point. Against decent opponents, if you are "rolling and hoping" then you will always lose; against opponents who all do the same thing, the game will seem almost unbearable.

Digital versions almost always make the game worse because negotiating with a computer isn't fun or flexible; even the auction mechanism is harmed by digital opponents instead of humans.

But that's ok. You can totally hate on Monopoly, and you won't be alone. It isn't a game for everyone, and I'd suggest that it has aged poorly (even when playing with the right rules and people who all understand how the game "should" be played). There are many modern games that are easier for people to enjoy. If you want to buy and sell property with a group of friends, try For Sale!  If you want to do some trading, try Bohnanza.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2017, 11:48:59 AM »
The strategy is to be lucky enough to gobble the Yellow and Orange up as they have the best ROI at an affordable price point with good coverage. That's it.

From that sentence alone, I know that you've missed the point. Against decent opponents, if you are "rolling and hoping" then you will always lose; against opponents who all do the same thing, the game will seem almost unbearable.

This.  If I'm playing a particular map on Call of Duty (I don't play Call of Duty) and everyone starts this same strategy of spawn-camping this one spot, then I'd work to come up with some kind of counter to that strategy.

If you're playing Monopoly with me, you will pry that last orange property you need from me from my cold, dead hands.  Also, you can have the yellows, they're not that great.  If I were going for something on that side, I'd rather the reds, as they have a slightly higher chance of being hit. (See, there is room for debate and strategy... I've played with folks who are 'Orange or Bust', and they get so focused on getting those orange properties that they will make stupid-crazy deals.  Or, they get them and you force them into a Housing auction and cause them to blow stupid amounts on one or two houses that get them nowhere...)

It isn't a game for everyone, and I'd suggest that it has aged poorly (even when playing with the right rules and people who all understand how the game "should" be played). There are many modern games that are easier for people to enjoy. If you want to buy and sell property with a group of friends, try For Sale!  If you want to do some trading, try Bohnanza.

I can agree with this (although I haven't played either of those titles).

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2017, 06:13:42 PM »
We have a board game club at work, it's pretty cool. Last time we played Ghostbusters and Ascension. The week before we played Walking Dead Bang! and Aye, Dark Overlord. Good stuff.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2017, 08:09:36 PM »
My copy of the new Castle Panic! Expansion arrived today.  With the three add-ons, this simple game is slowly becoming way complicated.   

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2017, 10:47:24 PM »
Now I want to play Monopoly. I never minded when it drug out, though drag out it did. I have yet to play it as an adult, so would be worth giving it another go.

Love me some Settlers action. I have all the major expansions for Catan.

I used to meet with some other random guys for games but the group slowly drifted apart.

I should try start a game night in my area.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2017, 01:24:48 AM »
I just highly recommend making sure you play by the rules.  Throw everything you think you know out the window.  ;)

Although it's a bit of an investment, Monopoly: The MEGA Edition is a great twist on the base game and worth checking out if you have fun with the base game.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2017, 01:29:52 AM »
Now that I've played Fortune Street, it is pretty hard to go back to Monopoly.

Oddly enough, I'm meeting up with some friends Saturday to play Settlers of Cataan and had no idea it was this "Tabletop Day". Just a lucky coincidence.

I know the forums have been waiting patiently for the result. Well, fear not. I won. Khushrenada wouldn't let these forums down. NWR represent!

At the risk of causing problems... what about a NWR game of Diplomacy? I'd be in.

There is really no other game like Diplomacy. No luck, all negotiation, tenuous cooperation to achieve goals until somebody inevitably betrays their partner. It's something that everyone should experience at least once.

There really isn't. There have been a lot of game lessons from it that I've been able to carry over to other games and life itself. It also helped me learn about myself and my personality and how to project myself to be seen more favorably with others to win them over. It will always hold a special place in my heart for the fun and education it has provided me.

I have thought about introducing Diplomacy on these forums before but it is a long game and I fear how much people are willing to get invested into it. As well, if people are playing it for the first time, it can seem quite complicated with how to read the map and order units around and resolve orders. The fact that you know how to play it is a huge. So many people I know have never heard of it before. If we could find more players who already know how the game works, I'd be willing to host a game or play it to make the search for others who can play easier (and have a neutral party receive our orders and then post them at a deadline requiring the players to resolve the orders) in order to allow others unfamiliar with the game a chance to learn it and see it in action and know if they would like to participate.

Epic Duels is one of the best Star Wars fan games ever made. They tend to be expensive now, but I grabbed a couple of copies when it was marked down for clearance back in the day as gifts. My brother and cousin both got a copy, and played them like mad. Even made up their own maps and stuff to expand the game. Great fun!

Even more rare than finding Diplomacy players is finding someone who knows about Epic Duels. I'll have to look into Star Wars Risk then. You've got me curious about it. Last week, I went out for supper with a friend of mine who's been married for over a year. He brought up our days of playing Epic Duels. It's something I guess he still associates with me and was then trying to explain it to his wife and how great the game is. People really do get into and I'm glad it's one of the board games I have in my small collection. It doesn't take long to explain and it's quite easy to learn and play so it's very easy to suggest it as something to do compared to a game like Diplomacy.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2017, 09:31:17 AM »
... Well, fear not. I won. Khushrenada wouldn't let these forums down. NWR represent!

Woot woot!

Sadly, I let my teams down on Saturday.

Playing The Resistance: Avalon with a table of 10 people, my team of evil characters extended the game to the final vote of the final mission, but were unable to sow enough distrust to win the game. (For people who aren't familiar with the game, it's like a quicker version of Werewolf without player elimination.)

I had one last choice thanks to holding the Assassin role - but instead of killing Merlin I picked a teammate by mistake! He had accidentally failed to reveal himself during the introduction, which lead to a lot of uncertainty for our team throughout the entire game. The actual Merlin player would have been my second choice.

It was a good game though, with a lot of discussion and debate (and doubt) at every turn. Had we traitors known our full team, we might've pulled out a win.  Playing The Resistance (or the Avalon version) is always a fun time.
 ;D

The two people left, so we tried Captain Sonar. Manning the sonar, I let me team down by frequently being off by one space - something I just can't account for. It was still close and tense, but we were consistently *not quite* on target while our opponents rarely missed.

I blame cold medication and lack of sleep, although that's really just a bad excuse. The trust is that my attention span was just waning at that point - in part because Captain Sonar gameplay isn't my cup of tea.

...Diplomacy...

If anyone in these forums are interested in learning or playing Diplomacy, speak up!

There are some great websites that will automatically resolve orders for you, so a moderator isn't required, but it's very kind to offer to be neutral and help people prepare their orders. The rules for Diplomacy aren't hard, but getting your orders just right can be kind of tricky when you start playing.

(By the way, I've only played a couple of times so don't have much expertise. I'm just very high on the game because I think it's a fantastic experience. Consider me happy to join a learning/teaching game in any capacity, or a more normal game as "likely fodder".)

... I'll have to look into Star Wars Risk then. ...

Should be easy to find and pretty cheap too - but if you have any issues getting a copy then just let me know.
I bought an extra copy (remembering how expensive other good Star Wars board games became after going out of print) so could send you a "gently used" set.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 09:36:08 AM by ejamer »

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2018, 09:16:29 AM »
Aw, man.
I was so excited to see this thread get a hit, thinking that someone was talking about board games.
Spammers suck.   :'(

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2018, 05:15:04 AM »
Aww, now I'm sad too.

Anyone want to play Catan?... I need more local friends.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast