Author Topic: WWE Wrestlemania XIX  (Read 6019 times)

Offline telaris

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
WWE Wrestlemania XIX
« on: July 12, 2003, 05:38:47 AM »
Hey what the hell is up with this game? It's an exclusive coming later this year. It just looks like another wrestling game so why is it getting all hyped up? Is it supposed to revolutionize the wrestling genre? I only say this because its been the #1 popular game at gamespot.com for the last three days and thats a rarity for a gamecube game. Not only that, but its beating out games like Halo 2 The Sims 2 and Star Wars: Kotor and Galaxies! WTF! Will someone please explain?

Offline Gup

• View Profile
WWE Wrestlemania XIX
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2003, 06:03:25 AM »
WWF No Mercy was and still is the best wrestlling game(my opinion).  Supposively, WMXIX is going to use a similar fighting engine to it. Then again, WMX8 was suppose to do the same thing, but it turned out to play like Smackdown 2.5(I was sooooooo disappointed)  
"You can't act like your opinion on something is the way it IS."-m_c

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
WWE Wrestlemania XIX
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2003, 06:13:05 AM »
basically the aki team is making this game- and they are the masters of wrestling games
their latest game- def jam vendetta was great, but it lacked modes but had a good story mode
now they are making a new wwf game- complete with all the gimmick matches from wrestlemania X8 and a story mode to boot
i like how their games play because they use a great grapple system
i cant wait to see how it turns out
i call the big one bitey.

Offline Gup

• View Profile
WWE Wrestlemania XIX
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2003, 06:15:47 AM »
Actually, Aki isn't making this game, it's still Yuke(I think).

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
WWE Wrestlemania XIX
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2003, 06:21:46 AM »
Ok, so this game is going to be something special then?

I have a friend who's biggest priorities in gaming are (in this order)

1.  WWE
2.  Resident Evil
3.  GTA

Yet he owns a PS2    He lives in a 3rd world country though, where it's almost impossible to buy non-pirated games, so I can't really blame him, but the man just seems so much like a Nintendo fan at heart, that it's almost painful to see him support the PS2.  (mind you, I guess Sony only loses money on him, but whatever.)
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
WWE Wrestlemania XIX
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2003, 08:16:33 AM »
Yukes is still maknig the game, but they're made up of most of Aki's old team.

The game is getting hyped up for a number of reasons- one, like some have said, is that it harkens back to the N64 wrestling games, like Revenge and No Mercy, which are widely considered to be the best ever. The game also has the feature where you can target specific areas of the body and they'll show damage- for instance, you can do a ton of moves on a guy's leg and eventually he'll start limping around the ring. There's also the story mode which encompasses three decidedly non-wrestling locations (mall, construction site, boat dock). True there's nothing revolutionary that's going to make you crap your pants, but it is shaping up to be one of the best wrestlers in a while (at least better than Raw). Besides, it's a Gamecube exclusive wrestler- what do you expect Gamecube owners to do?
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline BreakABone

• View Profile
WWE Wrestlemania XIX
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2003, 04:33:51 PM »
  What is everyone's opinions on the story mode?

I've seen it range from being utter BS and a disrespect to wrestling games to something fresh

Offline telaris

• View Profile
WWE Wrestlemania XIX
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2003, 07:14:12 PM »
Wow, its the most popular gamespot game again today thats 4 days in a row

i dont think any games ever done that much less a GCN one

Offline CO_Hawke

• View Profile
WWE Wrestlemania XIX
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2003, 07:33:05 PM »
Any game with WWE in it (except maybe Crush Hour) sells well regardless of what system it's on.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
WWE Wrestlemania XIX
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2003, 07:25:07 AM »
Wrestlemania XIX is popular because of a condition I like to call the Goldeneye syndrome.  The syndrome was first discovered with the EA line of James Bond games.  Goldeneye was an amazing game so people tend to get hyped up for new Bond games assuming that they'll be as good as Goldeneye.  They never EVER are but that doesn't stop people from pretending they could be.

It's the same thing with WWE games.  WWF Wrestlemania 2000 and No Mercy were both amazing (as were THQ's other N64 wrestling games) so people assume that the new WWE games (particularly those for a Nintendo console) are going to be just as good or better.  Like the EA Bond games they never will be but that doesn't stop people from fooling themselves into thinking otherwise.  It takes a very long time for the average gamer to realize that a series they used to like has turned to crap.

Personally I'm not really looking forward to WM XIX despite being a big wrestling fan.  They can tell me how similar it will be to No Mercy but I know that since Aki isn't working on it never will be as good because both THQ and the WWE don't give a sh!t about how good a game is as long as it sells.  If EA can't improve on the James Bond series then THQ will never improve on the WWE series.  "Better than WM X8" doesn't necessarily equal good.  Remember that as long as a game sells most American publishers will never give any real effort to improve things.

Offline Darc Requiem

• View Profile
WWE Wrestlemania XIX
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2003, 01:34:46 PM »
I agree with what your saying Ian, but I disagree about THQ's motivation in this case. Wrestlemania X8 did sell well but it sold well below what THQ was expecting because of its quality. THQ was expecting a million seller and they got a game that sold 200,000 copies. Do I think WMXIX will be as good as No Mercy, most likely not. I do think that THQ did make a legitimate effort with this game to correct the errors in WMX8. They know that cube owners in particular arent into shovelware. They also know that if WMXIX is a repeat of last years game they will have lost a significant source of their revenue.

Darc Requiem
"Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding."

Offline greenwood

• View Profile
WWE Wrestlemania XIX
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2003, 08:01:27 PM »
I have nothing to add as to why this game is getting hyped, although on a side note I must add that the glitch in No Mercy just killed that game for me. It sucked so bad to do so much and have it all erased. That and the 2 on 1 matches all the time sucked.
Anyway, my opinion on the story mode is it's pretty f'n lame. I don't want to fight no name security guards in shopping malls or construction workers down at the dock and I sure as hell don't want to rescue Stephanie McMahon (why can't she just use that horrible shriek of hers to shatter the glass?) but the gameplay seems tight so I'm happy. If the CAW is really good then I'm set.  

Offline r_227

• View Profile
RE: WWE Wrestlemania XIX
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2003, 02:50:00 PM »
all the hype i think is just because of the added story mode
-R

Offline HiTmaN

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2003, 04:18:02 PM »
The game looks sweet, but I'm not sure weather I want this or Smackdown Here Comes The Pain.
Temptation why wont you leave me alone?

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
RE:WWE Wrestlemania XIX
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2003, 04:24:03 PM »
"all the hype i think is just because of the added story mode"

No, the real reason it's getting so hyped is because it's using the grappling system from No Mercy and WCW vs NWO, which are considered the best wrestling games ever made. And from what I've heard, the grappling system is exactly like the one from No Mercy.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Gup

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2003, 04:36:46 PM »

Originally posted by: mouse_clicker
And from what I've heard, the grappling system is exactly like the one from No Mercy.

I'm pretty sure it still has some Smackdown characteristics like the way you do finishers/specials.

Offline HereticPB

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2003, 04:38:09 PM »
Also the weak grapples you don't tie up. you Grab em and do the move instantly.

As for those that are saying it is like No Mercy or 2000 it isn't  it is slightly different but in most aspects it is very near the same.

The Story mode is pretty lame but look for some screen shots of it.

Basically its being hyped cause it is leaps and bounds better in control and looks than X8.  Also they  fixed the problem if you suplex somebody in a 4 person mode the other two players don't fall down. Also the collision system is better from what I read. Plus the new specific damnge as mouse_clicker said.

HtPB
Visit my sites
| Nintendo Centrum | NC Forums |

Offline Gup

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2003, 04:44:22 PM »

Originally posted by: HereticPB
Also the weak grapples you don't tie up. you Grab em and do the move instantly.

So it's still like Smackdown. Oh well. . . if only Def Jam has a create-a-wrestler/rapper mode.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2003, 04:47:10 PM »
"I'm pretty sure it still has some Smackdown characteristics like the way you do finishers/specials."

The special system is actually quite different. In Smackdown (whose special system I despise), you must put your opponent into a dazed state, wait for the Smackdown! symbol to appear, hit the special button. In Wrestlemania XIX your press A+B to start the cinematic for the special then A+B again at the end to land it. It sounds very strange but I'm willing to try it out.  

Offline r_227

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2003, 04:56:07 PM »
the story mode in the game and better graphics might also add to the hype

the developers said that they started the wrestlers designs  from scratch
-R

Offline BreakABone

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2003, 08:25:45 PM »

Originally posted by: Gup

Originally posted by: mouse_clicker
And from what I've heard, the grappling system is exactly like the one from No Mercy.

I'm pretty sure it still has some Smackdown characteristics like the way you do finishers/specials.

Actually WrestleMania X8 had a different manner of using/reversing finisher which I still find to be the best system yet.

I mean due to it's nature, the finisher can pretty much be put on any time, not some timed period like in the AKI games or in a dazed state like the SmackDown games. All you got to do is get into a position and you are set.

To balance that, every finisher also has a counter.

That was one of the best aspects of WrestleMania x8, that I don't think any other game comes close to.

So it's still like Smackdown. Oh well. . . if only Def Jam has a create-a-wrestler/rapper mode.

It's more like a SmackDown/No Mercy hybrid.

The weak grapples give you the fast pace action of the SmackDown series while the strong grapples gives you more options as well as more strategy like the old AKI games.

Offline Doerr

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2003, 08:36:34 PM »
Well I will probaley get but I could care less about that story thing.
But its also supposed to have a normal season mode so everything is fine.
I will also have RAW 2 and that will have a awesome multiplayer season mode from the sounds of it.
Plus ripping music for Entrence for created guys is cool.

Either way both of these games are going to be huge improvements over the previous ones.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2003, 09:11:51 PM »

Actually WrestleMania X8 had a different manner of using/reversing finisher which I still find to be the best system yet.

I mean due to it's nature, the finisher can pretty much be put on any time, not some timed period like in the AKI games or in a dazed state like the SmackDown games. All you got to do is get into a position and you are set.

To balance that, every finisher also has a counter.

That was one of the best aspects of WrestleMania x8, that I don't think any other game comes close to.

I COMPLETELY agree. The special system in WMX8 was what gave it such a fast paced style- you'd never really know when your opponent would whip out a special. I also loved how other people could disrupt specials- it added a huge element of strategy to the game, trying to get it where you could finish someone off without being disrupted. It's really a testament to your skill if you're in a Fatal Fourway or a Triple Threat and you pull off a long special like the Last Rite or Jackhammer.

Offline r_227

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2003, 10:55:55 AM »
IMO, the grappling system was actually pretty good for x8  because it was fast paced and you could pull of a special any time when you got it instead of having to do it when your special meter is flashing and it would run out. The game seems better when it is played at a fast pace. the only thing bad about x8 was the path of a champion mode you would sometimes battle random wrestlers for no reason at all.

-R

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2003, 11:24:36 AM »
"Actually WrestleMania X8 had a different manner of using/reversing finisher which I still find to be the best system yet. I mean due to it's nature, the finisher can pretty much be put on any time, not some timed period like in the AKI games or in a dazed state like the SmackDown games. All you got to do is get into a position and you are set. To balance that, every finisher also has a counter. That was one of the best aspects of WrestleMania x8, that I don't think any other game comes close to."

Fire Pro Wrestling's finishers are sort of like that.  In the CAW you can assign ANY MOVE to be your finisher.  If you want a f*cking punch to be your finisher you can.  Though just because a move is your finisher doesn't mean it's a super killer move.  The only for-sure thing about your finisher is that it gets the crowd to cheer really loud which is good for the audience mode.  Anyway how effective your finisher is depends on your stats.  If you set the stats so that your finisher utilises your strengths (ie: your kick rating is a 10 so your finisher is a kick move) it's a better move.  There's also like special abilities that can make your finisher extremely effective or have a high chance of knocking your opponent out.

It's a system that's probably a little too complicated for the WWE target audience and is a very sim like design but it makes things more realistic so that HHH's Pedigree has a very high chance of beating you but Stephanie's Slap doesn't.

Although I generally love the Aki grappling system one thing I hate is that your opponent can always tell when you're going for your finisher because your f*cking meter is blinking.  Plus when you create a wrestler you can only have one finishing move so you can't make a guy who can do two finishers.  In Fire Pro you can make a guy who can do a Pedigree, Rock Bottom, and Stone Cold Stunner.