Author Topic: Midnight Club II- first ps2 game I've been really impressed with  (Read 5050 times)

Offline AdvancedGamer

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
This is such a good game. The first ps2 game I've been truly impressed with. It's so fun, better than Burnout 2 and Vice City. If you have a ps2, you should get this game. But if you don't, like me,  than get it for your computer that's why I don't have a ps2 or Xbox. Cuz when A+ titles come out for that system only, I get them for the computer. And usually they have special features for the computer (online play, enhanced graphics) well disscuss the game here.
Video Games-
Why waste good technology on medicine and science?

Now Playing: Zelda: TP (GC)
Mario Kart (DS)
NSMB (DS)

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Midnight Club II- first ps2 game I've been really impressed with
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2003, 12:33:47 AM »
Yeah, I hired it on PS2. It is a very impressive game. The go anywhere approach has been ripped out of GTA very nicely
Great music, too.

Though I still find Burnout 2 to be the better game. Everything is just so much more tense in that game. A crash in MCII just means you'll hit and continue, a crash in Burnout 2 means having to painfully watch that massive car destroying crash, and see the CPU racers speed by as you flip thru the air.  

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
Midnight Club II- first ps2 game I've been really impressed with
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2003, 03:10:46 PM »
Ugh MCII is horrible its uninspired street racing and the music tracks are limited and bad (dont like rap, hip hop or that kind of techno). I rather go for Burnout 2 such a fun game.  
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2003, 04:29:46 PM »
Of that's the only PS2 game that's impressed you, obviously you haven't played Ico- one of the most engrossing and atmospheric games I've ever played. Only problem is it's too short.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Infernal Monkey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2003, 08:06:39 PM »
I'm yet to play Ico. Just how short is it? Can it be finished in a day? I see it selling very cheap now, I've thought about picking up a copy.

*Gets horrible memories of Zone of the Enders with its five hours of gameplay*

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2003, 08:58:01 PM »
Depends on your puzzle solving skills and how long you sit around to just take in the atmosphere. I played through it rather casually in about 8 and a half hours, but those were some of the best damn 8 and a half hours I've ever had in a videogame. It could definitetly be completed in a much shorter time if you played through it faster, but believe me, you'll want to soak in the atmosphere.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Infernal Monkey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2003, 02:27:21 PM »
Eh, I'm the type of guy that likes to pretend I'm actually there, and walk around slowly and stuff gasping at the graphics and location. Wonder why I'm always losing in Quake III

Heh, thanks mouse_clicker. I'll pick this game up sometime next week.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2003, 09:34:19 PM »
Also, anyone claiming the PS2 is an inferior machine and can't generate good graphics should play Ico- it looks *incredible*. The draw distant is extraordinary and the lighting is fantastic. You can see parts of the castle you haven't been to and parts you've already visited. It has a very ethereal sense to it, an almost dreamlike quality. I can't wait for the next one.

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2003, 11:24:55 PM »
Actually, Infernal Monkey, it didn't rip it off of GTA. It ripped it off of Midtown Madness, which GTA3/VC actually ripped off of themselves. In fact, the same studio that made Midtown Madness made Midnight Club II, so go figure

And, yes it's a great game for PS2 fans, but the PC version is the best....

Offline HiTmaN

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2003, 07:53:23 PM »
I have the first Midnight Club, I like it. If you have a PS2 you MUST MUST MUST MUST I cant even express how much you MUST have Devil May Cry....its amazing.  
Temptation why wont you leave me alone?

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2003, 09:17:25 PM »
Actually, GTA3 ripped itself, the original GTA. GTA3 is no more than a 3D GTA- you had all the freedom of the series right from the first game.  In fact, GTA3 was a 3D model of the first city from GTA, Liberty City. Vice City was a 3D model of GTA's second city, Vice City. It's assumed the next GTA3 spinoff will be a 3D model of GTA's third city, San Andreas.

Offline HiTmaN

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2003, 11:57:10 PM »
Are you sure its San Andreas? I read that its going to be Grand Theft Auto Sin City, in Las Vegas. A few of my friends have said that too.

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2003, 08:10:40 AM »
It seems your friends subscribe to PSM (naughty, naughty) As that is where that rumor seems to have grown in notoriaty.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2003, 01:24:49 PM »
Although I've heard San Andreas is supposed to be a model of Las Vegas (like how Vice City is a model of Miami), that whole Sin City thing was a hoax. To be entirely truthful, we don't even know what the next game will be called, just that the PS2 will get another GTA3 spin-off and the PS3 will get GTA4. However, considering the pattern from the last two GTA3 games, I'm pretty sure it'll be San Andreas.

Offline HiTmaN

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2003, 07:44:21 PM »
Sin City would be a pretty cool name. I think the next one should go 70's style with afro's and 70's music.

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
RE:Midnight Club II- first ps2 game I've been really impressed with
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2003, 03:16:59 PM »
to call Midnight Club 2's racing uninspired is to be just unbelievably oblivious to it's extraordinary gameplay...
and to say that the crashes can't compare to Burnout 2's is beyond silly, Burnout's selling point is crashing.  If MC 2 had emphasis on crashes, it wouldn't be playable...because it would seriously hinder the gameplay because it would take much too much time away from you and you wouldn't be able to catch back up to the competition.

I played a demo of Ico from a dvd demo disc, i can't play cd games (Ico) on my PS2...only DVD games work on it.  But from just that demo I was amazed, it has some truly incredible level design...some of the best I've seen.  I pray that Nico will be on dvd, god please....

Midnight Club 2 did not rip off GTA3 go anywhere in the city mentality.  If you did your homework you would know that Midnight Club was a launch title on PS2, coming out long before GTA3 arrived.  If you were to say Midnight Club ripped off the early GTA that is really a false claim because one is 2d and the other is 3d and the associated differences with this and many other factors just further banish this linked "rip" idea.  However, saying MC is a rip from Midtown Madness is true in the sense of the go anywhere in the city idea...but that's about it... now we have other companies cashing in on this idea too, like the next Need for Speed game among others.

Hitman quote: "I think the next one should go 70's style with afro's and 70's music."
-dude you must have read this somewhere because that's been a rumor about the next one for a while now...  

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2003, 03:37:04 PM »
"I pray that Nico will be on dvd, god please...."

Whoa, wait a second- Nico?!? Is that the name of Ico's sequel? It has a name now? I'm excited.

That sucks about your PS2, though- good thing pretty much all PS2 games are DVD.

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2003, 05:11:02 PM »

Originally posted by: mouse_clicker
"I pray that Nico will be on dvd, god please...."

Whoa, wait a second- Nico?!? Is that the name of Ico's sequel? It has a name now? I'm excited.

That sucks about your PS2, though- good thing pretty much all PS2 games are DVD.

I've read I think from two sources that the sequel IS being made and it's current name is Nico.
for more information on Nico, goto ps2.ign.com and goto Fact or Fiction? The Ten Biggest Rumors on the PlayStation 2

(but make sure you goto the first (#1) Fact or Fiction featurette, not the recent second one!!!!!)
I would post the direct link but I believe it's against the rules of the forum, right?
I bet it's not illegal to post a link to ign.com mainpage though, so heres that for ya to save ya timeIGN

yea it really sucks that my PS2 doesn't play cd games, that means no classic PSone games for me, no Contra ps2, Ico, or VFighter 4, hopefully the upcoming VF 4 remix will be on DVD, if it is then that will be the only good thing to happen regarding my ps2 no cd play because if I had already purchased VF4 I wouldn't be planning on getting VF4 remix (i know it's not called remix lol but i forgot it's name)

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2003, 06:06:59 PM »
You can indeed post links to articles and post quotes, but you can't post the entire thing. Thanks for the info, though- Ico is easily one of my favorite games ever.

I believe the game is called Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution. I'm not really a fan of Virtua Fighter, or many fighters for that matter- Soul Calibur and Super Smash Bros. are about it.

::EDIT:: Oh, you were talking about the pictures supposedly from the sequel to Ico- I remember seeing those. I REALLY hope they're real. They look great and would suggest more outdoor environments (where as the entirety of Ico takes place in a castle, albeit a huge one).

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2003, 10:29:20 PM »
thanks for the info mouse_clicker!

ico is one of the only games i wish i could play, but cant, from only playing a demo of games.

yea it is called VF4 evolution, cool.

true about the outdoor environments, and although ico was mostly castle it was almost like outdoor environments since the scale was so huge and awe inspiring, damn i wish i could play it...
GRRRRRR i feel like greyninja and xenosaga....hehehe