Author Topic: Question about Nintendo and MS  (Read 6072 times)

Offline SolidSamus

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Question about Nintendo and MS
« on: June 26, 2003, 08:24:30 PM »
I read this from the ign mailbox...

"I hate to lend credit to this ongoing rumor, too, but I figure I can't ignore it. At least one industry insider I spoke with brought up the whole Microsoft/Nintendo union; apparently Microsoft -- more than Nintendo -- is interested in some kind of partnership. "

-Matt(from ign)

I just wanted to know what all you guys thought about this, and if you think it may come true. I personally think it would benefit both companys. For nintendo to get one competitor out of the way, and for microsoft to gain some ground in japan. I think it would be pretty awesome.

Top 5 Games Ever: Metroid Prime, Mario 3, Mario World, FF9, Metal Gear Solid

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2003, 08:26:38 PM »
Microsoft has been after Nintendo for years, but Nintendo ain't selling out.  It's really that simple.  But there are plenty of topics on this already.

As for what I think of this?  I think that Microsoft should just leave the console business and go back where they belong.  they don't know games, and they never will.  They have enough money as it is.  They don't need ours.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline greenwood

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2003, 09:04:41 PM »
Well, I've been saying for a while how cool this would be. Think about it, you'd get great 3rd party support (compared to the much improved from the N64 but still lacking support we have now) and the great Nintendo 1st and 2nd party games. How can any gamer complain? The PS3 would stand no chance at all. Mario, Link, Metroid, Halo, Perfect Dark, and tons more. I think MS will sign GTA exclusive after the Sony deal runs out. I could go on more but you get the idea.
There's just one thing. MS would have to, have to, have to, absolutely have to be the ones to initiate this. Nintendo is much too proud to partner with MS so MS would have to be the one to bend. I'd be remiss if I didn't bring up that this partnership would have to allow Nintendo full autonomy when it comes to their games but we all know that Nintendo wouldn't agree to a partnership unless that was the case.
I'd love to see this happen but I don't think there's any chance it will. Never say never, though. Stranger things have happened.  

Offline Fish

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2003, 09:08:19 PM »

Originally posted by: greenwood
Never say never, though. Stranger things have happened.

Like what? havent seen cows flying backwards in the sky yet... Seriously i doubt this will never happen

Offline One of a Kind

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2003, 09:11:17 PM »
IGN Cube has stated that Nintendo just bought back 5.6% of its shares back.  
"The move, which was set into motion last June, was made by Nintendo in an attempt to ward off the possibility of a hostile takeover by another company."
IGN Cube
"The fear I See When I Look In Your Eyes. Makes You Believe I'm One of a Kind"

Offline alvinaloy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2003, 09:31:50 PM »
Like Grey Ninja, I'd rather MS go back where they belong. Should there ever be a partnership, I expect MS would be the ones down the road to start making demands of Nintendo, perhaps even a hostile takeover. Then MS would start licensing everything since they have the larger market share of the gaming industry then.

Besides, I always welcome competition in the gaming industry. It keeps the companies on their toes to churn out better and cheaper stuff.

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
RE: Question about Nintendo and MS
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2003, 09:41:10 PM »
Nintendo is only into partnerships when it benifits them.  They were the first to offer the olive branch to Sega when it started flondering because they wanted leverage if they ever went out of the console business. There is no leverage when it comes to "partnerships" with Microsoft because they think in a somewhat simular way.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2003, 10:01:20 PM »
Well i have a thread on this also but anyways....

This isnt the first time its reported, I think EGM also mentioned it. I dont understand the "partership" Does it mean Microsoft buying out Nintendo? That would make me very sad.... plus Iwata did say that the day Nintendo stopped making consoles is the day Nintendo stops being in the video game industry....

Or is it another type of partership? Nintendo and Microsofts next consoles being exactly the same except the M$ one would be a set top box type, while the nintendo box would be only for games? But you could  play both Microsoft and Nintendo games on both consoles? I dont know....

If Nintendo does sell out, and go Third Party Wouldnt it make more sense for them to go with Sony?  I mean Sony sells in Japan, Microsoft does not..... Or would it be a slap to the face of Nintendo after the whole SNES CD Debacle? ........ Ill say this its intereting

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2003, 10:11:37 PM »
Yeah, and I beat you to the punch too Perfect Cell.  

http://www.planetgamecube.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=28&threadid=4292

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2003, 10:28:15 PM »
I noticed sorry ..... still my previous post is my thoughts on the whole matter.... Im hoping its not Nintendo selling out if theres some speck of truth into this

Offline egman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2003, 03:57:20 AM »
I would like to know what has prompted all these rumours first of all? It seemed to me that Nintendo has been on track for the next generation with Ati supposedly working on the graphics and a CPU possibly handled by NEC, who have parellel processing tech that could compete with Cell. I guess the fact that Microsoft has not said a word about their tech except for the fact that they want to be their when Sony releases their machine might give people the impression that they are throwing their wait behind Nintendo.

As for my personal opinion about the matter--I don't really care for it. I also don't understand some of the reasoning behind such a partnership. I've been lurking in other forums lately about these issues, and it seems like people truly think Nintendo's going bankrupt or something. As a matter a fact, I actually read post by some kid yesterday who truly thought Nintendo was in the same place that Sega was a couple of years ago, not releasing that Nintendo is still one of, if not the strongest performing Japanese corp. While Nintendo has made some misteps, and I have been critical of some of those things, I have never imagined Nintendo doing so badly that they would feel forced to merge to compete with Sony.

I think if we are going a see a partnership for Nintendo, I can really see them strengthing their ties with Matsushita/Panasonic and delivering the video game/home entertainmet people seem to want. And unlike the Microsoft scenario, I see even greater benefits for the two companies. Nintendo will have the backing from a company they are already close to, who has a similar mind about business, while Panasonic will not be left behind when Sony really tries to fly with their home entertainment plans. Panasonic tried to get into convergence before with the 3do/M2, but their posistion will be much stronger with Nintendo software development, which seems be beefing up and evolving to compete next gen. It makes more sense than Nintendo teaming up with a company which such a different philosophy toward game development, who will dump as much money as they can into a project in spite of its success. Nintendo has been known to can products and ideas that don't cut it financially, so I don't think they would dig some of Microsoft's strategies.

Offline HolyPaladin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2003, 05:09:01 AM »
With Nintendo only recently beginning to throw money and effort behind better marketting and development of their recognition, not to mention that they are working hard at crushing nuts during the next generation, it would continue to make less and even less sense that Nintendo would end up sleeping with Microsoft.  That is like running a marathon as hard as you can drive yourself, even though you are secretly planning on the next guy winning instead of you.  Why kill yourself running so hard for nothing?  Is Nintendo trying to waste as much money as possible before ending up in Microsoft's bed?

(I know, I flopped back and forth between different metaphors repeatedly in that paragraph.)

I don't care how often the rumor may come around or how credible the source might be, it isn't going to happen; at least not soon.  I give Nintendo one more full generation apart from Microsoft.  If this upcoming one goes bad for Nintendo, then I would more seriously consider Nintendo pairing with Microsoft.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

- Edmund Burke

If whatever I just posted sounds rude/hateful/whatever then you probably read it wrong, but I will insert apology here, anyways, just in case.

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2003, 05:16:54 AM »
First of all both Microsoft and Nintendo would enver go forward with this deal.

Reasons:
1) The X-Box was created as a system to bring MS into the console business and leverage them. Their next console was supposed to be the money maker. If they were to make a partnership with Nintendo, then tey would have just wasted a multi-million dollar market, if so.

2) Nintendo would not join Microsoft because their systems would clash to much in their genres. Microsoft is definitely willing to take plunges by having games like GTA, but Nintendo is hesitant. Just imagine how the image of Nintendo would be ruined if you ay DOA on its console.... O.o

Offline egman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2003, 06:07:42 AM »

Originally posted by: HolyPaladin
With Nintendo only recently beginning to throw money and effort behind better marketting and development of their recognition, not to mention that they are working hard at crushing nuts during the next generation, it would continue to make less and even less sense that Nintendo would end up sleeping with Microsoft.  That is like running a marathon as hard as you can drive yourself, even though you are secretly planning on the next guy winning instead of you.  Why kill yourself running so hard for nothing?  Is Nintendo trying to waste as much money as possible before ending up in Microsoft's bed?

(I know, I flopped back and forth between different metaphors repeatedly in that paragraph.)

I don't care how often the rumor may come around or how credible the source might be, it isn't going to happen; at least not soon.  I give Nintendo one more full generation apart from Microsoft.  If this upcoming one goes bad for Nintendo, then I would more seriously consider Nintendo pairing with Microsoft.

Exactly. I have a feeling these MS rumors are more akin to the "meGAtoN" rumors from earlier this year, fueled by fanboys who either desperately want Sony to go down or are pissed that they have to be buy three consoles instead of two.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2003, 07:07:51 AM »
This rumoured partnership will never happen because it benefits Microsoft way more than it benefits Nintendo.  Nintendo isn't doing fantastic but they do have a secure foothold in both the North American and Japanese markets.  Microsoft has NOTHING going for them in Japan.  MS needs Nintendo to be successful in Japan but Nintendo does not need MS to be successful in North America.  This is the exact reason why MS is the one that's more interested.  They need Nintendo but Nintendo doesn't need them.

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2003, 07:20:22 AM »
Ok, let's set a few things straight.  First, I beleive there have been some interviews with Denis that are being taken out of context.  Denis said he wouldn't be surprised if some sort of collaboration happens.  However, Microsoft WANTS Nintendo.  They don't want to work with Nintendo, they just WANT them outright.  Never going to happen.  If someone wanted to collaborate with Nintendo on a game, I suppose it's possible, and that's the sort of thing that Nintendo's talking about.

I've also hear rumors that since Microsoft and Nintendo are both rumored to be using ATI graphics chips for thier next boxes, that we might be moving to a standardized platform for games.  Again, never going to happen.  Console makers get thier cash from licensing, and with identical platforms, there's no incentive to publish for one or the other.

Anyway, I think this entire idea is being blown out of proportion.  WAY out of proportion.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2003, 07:43:06 AM »
W00t, response from the editors.

^Take that as a slap in the face to people who blow things outta proportion.

Offline egman

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2003, 08:06:21 AM »
Exactly Rick. I bet your talking about the GA forums. I read that thread over there about Denis comments and couldn't believe the responses. Denis was talking about a graphics plateau as a good thing for the industry as it would once again force developers to concentrate on good gameplay--he never said anything about developing on one platform, just that the abilities of all consoles will become neglible so as to appear like there is standarization happening.

Furthermore, if people read that PGC had with Denis recently, he said himself that he felt MS was not really interested in games or the direction of the industry. Doesn't sound like the best thing for a developer to say about their company's supposed partner.

Is it me, or is there a distinct lack of common sense on the internet these days?  

Offline jarob

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2003, 08:23:23 AM »
It is not just a lack of common sense on the internet, but everywhere.  People are like sheep.  Many don't think for themselves.  

Offline The Doc

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2003, 09:43:49 AM »
Nintendo is never going to buddy up with Microsoft. First of all, I could understand Nintendo forming a union with Microsoft only if Nintendo was in trouble and if they were losing money on GameCube. The bottom line is that Nintendo has always made money off of their consoles, and it seems pretty cut and dry to me that Microsoft is losing more money on the Xbox then they thought possible. Microsoft needs Nintendo more then Nintendo needs Microsoft. I feel that Microsoft should just leave the gaming industry and stick to what they are good at.

The Doc

Offline nonjagged

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2003, 10:56:42 AM »
In my opinion my theory is pretty credible (if I may say so).

M$ have been try-hard trying to buy Nintendo for a few years now, while Nintendo keeps using Link's Triforce sheild to fend off M$ vultures because Nintendo would never merge or partnership with non gaming-only corporations, especially Western ones. In my opinion Nintendo will never ever merge or partnership with $ony or M$. Those corporations are mainstream market-chases, hence the use of DVD format or whatever format will be used by next generation media players.
Nintendo is a protective and proprietory format company and will never give up its ideals or its focus. Ever. Only one corporation is left since the CD-ROM format heydey and that is $ony luckily for its deals it did with securing 3rd parties, otherwise it ($ony) too would have gone the bust avenue of piracy. Well many of the psx 3rd parties did go bust anyway so thats a compromise. If you know what I mean regarding quality over quantity.

Everytime Nintendo declines on M$'s offers, M$ gets infuriated and publically bashes Nintendo through Xbox CEO or through Ken Lobb.
It took Nintendo 1 month to buyup shares in case of any hostile take-overs and M$ where aware of this and M$ indirect response to this was by publically claiming "Nintendo is not interested in the digital revolution because Nintendo is a toy company".

Nintendo should have come out and stated "We dont play mind games with digital mainstream-market chases, because were too busy play video games", but Nintendo hasnt because they dont even realise M$ exist in the market and Nintendo are busy doing what they have been doing for decades.

It truelly is funny how a corporation wants/needs another corporation but whenever the offer is declined the corporation resorts to public defamation.
It truelly is funny.

You know those famous anger-letters M$ have sent to eg. Home Brew Club or Linux etc, Nintendo should send M$ a letter refering to Nokia as being a good prospect for M$ to partner with. As they both seem to be struggling in this industry.

...And remember without M$ being able to buy shares in Nintendo, M$ will never be able to step allover Nintendo as a stepping stone to get to Square-Enix, which M$ have also been try-hard trying to buyup also.

Without Nintendo Square and Enix, M$ is nothing.

Nintendo, Square and Enix run the console business. End.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2003, 11:21:51 AM »
what in the hell are you talking about?
did anyone understand a word of that?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2003, 11:35:24 AM »
Yep.  I actually agree with him for the most part too.

Basically it's like this.  Nintendo recently bought back almost 6% of their shares, to ward off a potential attack from an outside force wanting to take them over.  You have one guess to think of who would have the money and will to do that.  The possibility of Nintendo wanting to cooperate with this outside force seems remote to say the least.

In short, Nintendo has no desire to partner with someone who has done nothing but lose money and buy things that they lose more money on than gain.

Offline NintendoFanGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2003, 11:59:13 AM »
nonjagged, well said.  I agree with you 100%.
M$ and Nintendo should NEVER team up, never!!!  

Offline DRJ

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2003, 12:20:02 PM »
M$ could buy Nintendo, but that would be a huge investment. Nintendo would not willingly partner with M$ since they dont want to give up control of what games are on their system. I M$ is looking to buy why dont they go get Sega.
Ralph: Hi, Principal Skinner! Hi, Super Nintendo Chalmers!