Author Topic: Mario Kart 8's Use of the GamePad Is Disappointing  (Read 11951 times)

Offline ResettisCousin

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Mario Kart 8's Use of the GamePad Is Disappointing
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2014, 07:47:14 PM »
Confoundingly dumb. I literally traded in Sonic Transformed last month because I assumed that MK 8 (which I have preordered and paid off at Gamestop...) would also feature the screen + pad two view / two player mode. Sonic Transformed is a 30 fps game and a darn fine game at that. If Nintendo is willing to drop to 30 fps for 4 players, they should have gone ahead and dropped to 30 fps if the play selects screen + pad dual view mode. I actually think this is worse than DK, because the whole "fit a fifth person in" or "each have their own screen" modes that the pad offers is actually a very valuable gameplay option. Though I still think DKTF should have had soem stats, powerups, speed runs and a world map on the bottom screen.

This is just said. They had a comment recently about how they didn't allow player-made courses because the player courses wouldn't be to the standard. So what?! OK, so all the player made courses would have generic backgrounds and billboards, big deal. The gamepad would have been outstanding for dragging out courses on. And they couldn't think of a single multiplayer mode that has someone playing god or ref or joker on the gamepad as the TV split-screen players are driving? BLARGH

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2014, 11:37:16 AM »
For a racing series as high profile as Mario Kart to not have a track editor is not only confusing, it just doesn't make sense. Yeah, when you open up the game for community to tinker with, you're going to get varying degrees of quality. But that's why we have rating systems. And if you make the editor robust you can certainly attract some of the very talented editors who could be making some fun tracks. Either fantasy or real world locations(I'm imagining karts racing down the LeMans track right now).
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2014, 12:51:41 PM »
This is just said. They had a comment recently about how they didn't allow player-made courses because the player courses wouldn't be to the standard. So what?! OK, so all the player made courses would have generic backgrounds and billboards, big deal. The gamepad would have been outstanding for dragging out courses on.

I think I can speak for everyone in the entire world except the executives at Nintendo when I say "who gives a ****?"  Who cares if player courses might suck.  No kidding.  So why was there a create-a-track mode in some Japan-only F-Zero games?  Why did Excitebike have it?  Why does Animal Crossing let you design custom patterns for clothes?  I might, you know, SUCK at that and then the quality is down.

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2014, 04:42:48 PM »
For a racing series as high profile as Mario Kart to not have a track editor is not only confusing, it just doesn't make sense. Yeah, when you open up the game for community to tinker with, you're going to get varying degrees of quality. But that's why we have rating systems. And if you make the editor robust you can certainly attract some of the very talented editors who could be making some fun tracks. Either fantasy or real world locations(I'm imagining karts racing down the LeMans track right now).

Is that a common feature in the other big racing games? or is it just something people wanted and didn't get? I have never played a racing game that let you edit the levels, in fact I haven't played many games that do have level editors and the ones I did, like Excitebike, well sucked anyways.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline Stealth

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2014, 06:28:36 PM »
Honestly I disagree. Off tv play is enough for a racer

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2014, 07:17:40 PM »
If you're only playing single player, sure.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2014, 09:19:00 PM »
"
MegaByteAaron Kaluszka, Associate EditorApril 03, 2014

Quote:

We didn’t really hear an explanation for why this is the case, but as the game is silky smooth and gorgeous, it’s probably some chicanery about not wanting the graphical experience altered. Truthfully, the splendid visuals would likely have to be muddled to push out two comparable and smooth displays on the GamePad and the TV, but if that’s the kind of thing that can’t be worked out on a Nintendo game on the Wii U, then what is the point of even having the GamePad as a controller?

Other outlets are reporting that the game drops to 30fps in 4-player and possibly 3-player split-screen. That was understandable on GameCube and Wii, but pretty sad here."

Wow.. This is true of any multi player game on any console. Even Killzone on PS4 drops from 1080p in MP.

How can someone be part of running a game site, yet make such a foolish statement? Just really sad honestly and I am sure you will defend your stance rather than admit you were wrong but I am curious why its okay for X1 and PS4 to change in MP mode but sad for the Wii U to do the same

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2014, 09:26:17 PM »
People are coming up with anything they can do hate on MK8 even if it defies common sense..

6 months ago it was, "I don't want to take my eyes off the TV to see the pad and kill the experience."
Or this one "
 Now it is." They should let you use the pad in some way maybe to draw the route of the boomerang" or some other thoughtless excuse. Yes I am sure in a racing game, the one thing you should have plenty of time to do is take your eyes and hands away from the controller to draw a route for a weapon.

GT has a track editor? Forza? NFS? Sonic? Nope but those get a pass, this is Nintendo and they need an editor or they fail as a company but MS, Sony, Sega and EA are okay without them.

You know people are threatened when they defy common sense to hate on something

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2014, 09:20:40 AM »
I don't think anyone wants the gamepad to be integral to experience but, I expected at the minimum the level of support that Sonic Racing Transform gave.  As I described before I was hoping something more akin to Monster Hunter use to be honest.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2014, 09:43:03 AM »
I agree. 5-player was my expectation if only for Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed. And based on Nintendo Land, I thought Nintendo could have come up with some pretty cool asymmetric multiplayer Battle Mode options.

A track editor would have been neat (and probably intuitive to use with the touchscreen), but I can ultimately live without it. How poorly the GamePad is used is just a bummer even if I'm mostly playing 2-player.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2014, 10:01:15 AM »
One Gamepad one big screen on Multiplayer would be ideal.  In Fact allowing you to use the 3DS version to control the other 3 would be cool.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2014, 05:35:14 PM »
All this talk of a track editor makes me want some sort of ExciteBike/Truck/Bots game on Wii U. It's be perfect for it and to have the track editor return.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2014, 06:32:09 PM »
You know what would be better than a track editor? Being able to use the gamepad screen like a horn on a steering wheel! Man, I could see myself annoying a lot of opponents as a honk like crazy at them as I pass them, they get hit by an item or they wipe out. Just another psychological tactic to use like taunting in Smash Bros. or the character taunt in Mario Party or Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour.

Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Leo13

• Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2014, 07:15:06 PM »
It's possible (I'm still holding out hope) that like was said earlier there are multiplayer modes with Assymetric game play like in Nintendo Land (I pulled that out again last night Awesome game) Sonic Racing has a mode where the person with the gamepad controls a monkey ball and tries to roll over the other racers that's fun and none of the other racers can peek to see where he is.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2014, 10:17:35 PM »
Truth be told, if there's a way to shove all the UI stuff on the pad I'll use that 99% of the time.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.