Author Topic: The Handheld war is on... New Poratble Dreamcast  (Read 5260 times)

Offline AdvancedGamer

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
The Handheld war is on... New Poratble Dreamcast
« on: June 18, 2003, 09:55:57 AM »
Wow. It looks really sick. Check it out: http://www.gamespot.com/all/news/news_6030187.html    
Video Games-
Why waste good technology on medicine and science?

Now Playing: Zelda: TP (GC)
Mario Kart (DS)
NSMB (DS)

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2003, 10:13:13 AM »
Portable war?

You have a better chance of winning the lottery then immediatly being hit by lightning all the while watching a plane crash  into a herd of unicorns.

This thing will flop, PERIOD.  
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: The Handheld war is on... New Poratble Dreamcast
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2003, 10:21:02 AM »
ofcourse it will, its not endorsed by sega

Offline AdvancedGamer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2003, 10:24:34 AM »
Flop? Are you kidding me? Besides having the huge Dreamcast Game library it includes two controllers, a remote control for video cd or mp3 playback, and a car adaptor. I don't think it will flop. I say handheld war because now there is game boy advance, sony PSP, Nokia N-Gage, and Treamcast.
Video Games-
Why waste good technology on medicine and science?

Now Playing: Zelda: TP (GC)
Mario Kart (DS)
NSMB (DS)

Offline AERO

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2003, 10:33:54 AM »
Sounds interesting but its not really a handheld. And for some reason it doesn't strike me as leagal.  

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2003, 10:52:03 AM »
the only handheld game system that has a fighting chance against the gba is the psp
that is because of the name brand recognition- people will see sony and go for the buy
if the psp wants to be a contender though it must have good games for its launch and have good support
it also must be priced accordingly for the average person to buy it
the n-gage has no chance i would think because it is really expensive (300 bucks) and most people wouldnt want to pay that price when they can just as well buy a gba sp with 6 games for that price...
we shall see though
i call the big one bitey.

Offline Thrackerzog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2003, 10:55:48 AM »

Originally posted by: AERO
And for some reason it doesn't strike me as leagal.

That is because it is not.

Originally posted by: AdvancedGamer
Flop? Are you kidding me? Besides having the huge Dreamcast Game library it includes two controllers, a remote control for video cd or mp3 playback, and a car adaptor. I don't think it will flop. I say handheld war because now there is game boy advance, sony PSP, Nokia N-Gage, and Treamcast.

Flop isn't even the right word. This thing will never see the light of day in America aside from the random importer here or there who actually found one for sale, or went to Hong Kong and got one. First and formost; it is illegal. You will never see one in an EB, Bababges, Target, K-Mart, etc, and very few if any import websites will stock them for fear of a lawsuit from Sega. Lik-Sang has already said there is no way for them to sell them. That immediately takes it out of the so-called 'handheld war.' Secondally; even if it was legal and available, it is about as portable as the PSone with the mobile monitor, which is legal, avaiable for purchace everywhere, and has a huge library of great games. Does anyone even think of this as portable? I doubt it is cutting into Nintendo's GBA sales.

Now the N-gage, that will flop

Offline Nintega

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2003, 04:32:40 PM »
This really isn't in competition with the GBA or PSP.  It's more of a cutdown version of the dreamcast with a screen.  Not really a handheld.  Although I'm very intrigue at the design, it's not worth the $200 price tag I've seen on some online shops.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2003, 04:40:38 PM »
You said it.  I don't see this going anywhere.  I see PSP lasting for a little while, but it'll die, too, eventually.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2003, 01:36:06 AM »
The only competition for the Treamcast is the PSOne.
GBA competitor?
I don't even see anyone playing their PSones on teh bus, so what makes ANYONE think that people will think of the Treamcast as a competitor in the handheld.

I've said much more than this handheld is worth.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2003, 06:22:00 PM »
Some time back Sega sold many of it's hardware to other companies, perhaps this is linked to that?  It does look neat, especially since I have a few games in my posession.  

Offline DRJ

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2003, 02:04:23 PM »
I for one think that a handheld system must be able to fit in your hand. I mean if I have a GCN and a battery pack and a LCD screen and I take it with me on the bus, is Gamecube a handheld system now? Anyways Gameboy has like 40million user base so it will take a lot of time and money for anyone to make a dent. Look at Gamecube and XBox vs PS2. better hardware, and better games, and a lower price isnt doing @#$@ to Sony.

On a side note I am interested in the PSP. Not as a gaming machine, but as an all in one handheld device. If it can play mp3, movies, games, and who knows what else I will probably pick one up. And since they want to compete with gameboy they have to price it low, so once again me, the consumer wins since other companies are competing for my $$. And people think competition is bad.
Ralph: Hi, Principal Skinner! Hi, Super Nintendo Chalmers!

Offline enigma487

• Scalar, The Destructor!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2003, 07:35:00 PM »
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    On a side note I am interested in the PSP. Not as a gaming machine, but as an all in one handheld
    device. If it can play mp3, movies, games, and who knows what else I will probably pick one up. And
    since they want to compete with gameboy they have to price it low, so once again me, the consumer
    wins since other companies are competing for my $$. And people think competition is bad.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
uhh...  the dreamcast could play mp3s, movies, and almost any game you could throw at it.  my roommate had one, and we figured out how to get NES, SNES, and Genesis emulators running on it.  we had 3 discs with every ROM we could find on the internet.  we also had a nifty little program to turn it into an MP3 machine.  AND if you did it right, it could play DiVX encoded movies.  the dam little thing ran on Windows CE, talk about hackable.  you just had to get the right boot disc, and you could throw almost anything from windows at it.  I got it to load FreeCell.  it would deal, but would freeze when you made your first move.

LONG LIVE THE DREAMCAST!!!

EDIT:  don't forget about Bleem!Cast.  a bit of software that enabled you to play PSX games on Dreamcast

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2003, 11:52:47 AM »
Um, no, you couldn't get most anything from windows to load on it.  Guys programed those games and other pieces of software to run on it.  Give the guys some credit.  They made programs that were bootable from a CD that guys like us just had to burn properly to take advantage of.

Head over to www.boob.co.uk or www.dcemulation.com to check it out

Bleemcase only allowed 3 games to be played, remember.  sony sued their asses into the ground )-.;

Offline Oldskool

• Maker of Fine Straitjackets since 1997
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2003, 01:56:06 PM »
NOTHING will breach GBAs great wall of $$$.
"I love the smell of napalm in the morning. Smells like victory!"

Proudly using my Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo D laptop.

Offline alvinaloy

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2003, 02:54:13 PM »
C'mon. Have you gone over toe lik-sang's webby to check it out? It's not a handheld. It portable in the sense that you can mount it on your car and drive it wherever you want, and play it on the car. It doesn't even support alkaline batteries unless you wanna lug a car battery around.

Offline Soundworks

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2003, 11:54:00 AM »
I remember seeing that 'Treamcast a couple of weeks ago.

Man it would be so cool to have one, and it would kick ass.

lol, sorry, Sega blood is pumping up again.