Author Topic: Hyrule Warriors Announced for Wii U  (Read 9795 times)

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Re: Hyrule Warriors Announced for Wii U
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2013, 04:17:21 PM »
The Warriors/Musou games get shat on in most western circles (deservedly so). But I view an occasional one as a guilty pleasure and am interested in how this game turns out. Also, I thought the teaser looked pretty slick and neat!

I haven't looked at the pics yet, but maybe, just maybe Nintendo will jump in and add some polish to the gameplay and spruce up the graphics with a little insider coding knowledge. This is involving their second son franchise Zelda, so maybe they will take a little co-producer/dev credit and help make it better then usual.

From the teaser alone, Link moves in less stiff, more lively motions than characters in videos for Dynasty Warriors 8 (the most recent release). While the blade fodder are still fodder, the brief glimpses of combat with more substantial enemies hint at more involved combat than what I've seen from other Warriors games.

It's not advisable to get hopes high for a Warriors game, but Hyrule Warriors has a chance to be significantly better than its pedigree.

Offline PK_Animus

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2013, 04:57:21 PM »
This was a nice surprise I didn't see coming.  Nintendo definitely needs the third party support, even if it just means more games featuring well-known characters.  I would get it, just because I liked Dynasty Warriors on the PS2 and buttonmashing action+Link just sounds like plain fun to me.  The treasure chest at the end of the trailer makes me wonder if you'll come across treasure chests during levels, which would make it even more like a Zelda game sans puzzles. 

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2013, 05:40:13 PM »
Groose vs Lu Bu

DOOOOO IIIT

Offline rlse9

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2013, 05:52:02 PM »
I haven't played a Dynasty Warriors game since playing one of them for the original X-Box with my roommate.  Depending on how this turns out, I could definitely see myself buying this.  At least Nintendo had something more interesting to announce today that a new character in a game...

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
  • Score: -10
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2013, 05:55:17 PM »
Whoever wrote this article claiming Link's design is similar to Skyward Sword's needs to take a closer look. The enemies are based off Skyward Sword, but most of Link's design is definitely based off the Twilight Princess model, not Skyward Sword's.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2013, 06:14:49 PM »
THANK GOD

NO FI
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline motang

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2013, 06:40:20 PM »
When I saw the video during Nintendo Direct I was thinking to myself "wait that looks like Dynasty Warriors" and looks like I was right!  ::)

Offline Dylan7

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2013, 07:30:22 PM »
It looks horrible. Maybe I just don't get it, but I don't see the appeal of this franchise dressing up in Zelda costumes.
Could be worse - could be Link's Crossbow Training 2.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2013, 08:07:23 PM »
Hyrule Warriors looks extremely early and completely unrefined. The movements are stiff and Wii U is shown to be capable of much better graphics. The last hack and slash beat 'em up I remember playing is Ninety Nine Nights on 360 forever ago and that had better graphics than what Nintendo showed of Hyrule Warriors today which is kind of sad. If this is further along than I think it is, I hope Nintendo steps in and helps Tecmo Koei out. I think it has more potential than what is shown.

The gameplay kind of reminds of that gauntlet of enemies you have to mow through on the way to the final bosses of Skyward Sword. It seems pretty mindless which can be good if you're looking for that. I don't know if I would play this alone, but with two or more players, it could be a nice distraction.

The electronic guitar Zelda theme kind of makes me want to punch something. The scarf and pauldron on Link are a nice touch.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2013, 08:19:37 PM »
It looks horrible. Maybe I just don't get it, but I don't see the appeal of this franchise dressing up in Zelda costumes.
Could be worse - could be Link's Crossbow Training 2.

It's to increase the appeal for the West.  In Japan, Dynasty Warriors is still very popular but in the West it's quite niche.  Since third parties aren't willing to give support on their own, Nintendo needs to fund the bill to get games like this.  I imagine Nintendo feels if they're going to spend money to get an exclusive third party game like this, they want something that can sell well in the West as well, which making a Zelda spin-off will allow it to be.

I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline sweetfeathery

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2013, 11:57:16 PM »
I really wish that Nintendo could have just landed a new IP with the dev team of Dynasty Warriors instead of putting a Zelda skin over a worn out game. 

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2013, 12:21:16 AM »
The design is Manga Link from Skyward sword, and as spin off go, this is fine by me.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2013, 12:27:48 AM »
I'm trying to remember the last time a game tried to sell me, and this is just me talking here, a hack-and-slash/button mashing experience on a Nintendo console was Spartan: Total Warrior, IIRC.  Had to buy a PS3 with all those GoW games to get my fix, but those are unjustly difficult, and the graphics in the "HD" ports aren't doing it for me.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2013, 03:28:42 AM »
The Link in this closely resembles Link from the pre-skyward sword manga that was in Hyrule Historia. This video goes into it if you're interested in the theory http://youtu.be/BJvRc-cwlMI

Anyway I'm excited to see if they do anything with the big wars we've heard about in Hyrule. This has the potential to both be a fun spinoff and yet still fill in a gap in the timeline such as the pre-skyward sword war with demise, the Hylian Civil War, or the Sealing War.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2013, 01:14:51 PM »
I now feel sorry for everybody that bought Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage... unless of course they're somehow bigger Hokuto no Ken fans then Legend of Zelda fans.

Last one of these I played was Dynasty Warriors Gundam. while these do make for seeing flashy Anime action on your television with the over the top idea of being able to mow down crowds of 500 with one dude, this franchise is just... incredibly under stimulating. One of the few things I dug about Skyward Sword was that when one was inexperienced with the control scheme, even the most basic of enemies posed a real danger because of their ability to parry your attacks. Now Bokoblins will be reduced to being fodder that even the humble Goomba would best in a one-on-oone fight.

« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2013, 03:34:22 PM »
Did you guys spot Zelda hidding in the background of the scene with the fire rod? Here's a zoomed in video :) http://youtu.be/7MiAizJaDLM

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2013, 03:52:40 PM »
Did you guys spot Zelda hidding in the background of the scene with the fire rod? Here's a zoomed in video :) http://youtu.be/7MiAizJaDLM

Sorry Link, but your princess is in another castle.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2013, 06:42:31 PM »
Well this is a weird one. I never played one of these games, but it looks like it could be fun.