Author Topic: Zelda II came out in 1987 and we've never had a sequel.  (Read 3545 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Zelda II came out in 1987 and we've never had a sequel.
« on: December 03, 2013, 04:14:25 PM »
Isn't that weird? If you traveled back in time and told me there still hadn't been a sequel to The Adventures of Link by 2013 my mind would have been blown. Goodbye Link, we will probably never see you again.

Every other Zelda game has been a prequel!

This thought was brought on by this buzzfeed web site laying out the timeline. What a weird way to build a franchise...

http://www.buzzfeed.com/legendofzelda/the-legend-of-zelda-a-timeline

Bonus Discussion: Where will Zelda Wii U fit into the timeline? Will we finally get Zelda 3?

This thread is dedicated for the people still waiting for the true sequel to Mario 64

« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 12:39:59 AM by ShyGuy »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
Re: Zelda II came out in 1987 and we've never had a sequel.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 05:04:22 PM »
Zelda II was so bad it killed the franchise.

They should reboot it. I think it's time. 25 years is long enough to wait.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 05:24:28 PM »
I really want a sequel to Zelda II but i'm not sure it would happen since it would have to be done in the style similar to OOT and Twilight princess and i'm sure that despite the hard fantasy setting becoming a mor epopular genre they don't want to rush to that well once again.

With that said Zelda III is probably one of the most interesting settings if done correctly. That's the really fucked up Hyrule where one side of continent is filled with people and the other is a Barren Wasteland.

I wouldn't mind if art style wise it looked like the NES Zelda art.

or this from the Smash Bros trailer
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 06:43:04 PM »
Interesting post.  I really was surprised by the content. 

I thought this post was going to be requesting a sequel in the game play mechanic of Zelda 2.  In which case, I would have to say Zelda tried that formula and it sucked for a Zelda game.  But I would honestly like to see something like it again, because with modern game theory, design, and graphics it could be done better. 

However, just mentioning that the story hasn't progressed since The Legend of Zelda 2 is interesting.  Because the Adventure of Link opened up the world dramatically, and to do a sequel, I would think you would need to do the same.  Make it feel more like a world and traveling great distances instead of just in Hyrule. 

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 07:23:12 PM »
Zelda II is a dated game in much the same way Metroid is.  It isn't much fun to play because of the technical limitations and immature gameplay ideas.  My biggest beef with it is that Link's sword has so little range, which makes the game much harder than it really needs to be.  It also has all sort of obtuse puzzles that early adventure games often had.  The original Zelda is also pretty rough and dated but then Nintendo sorted out the kinks with A Link to the Past.  It would have been nice to see a polished 16 bit take on Zelda II (and frankly I'd like to see Super Kid Icarus as well; the 3DS game is only loosely connected to the original game's design).

As for why Nintendo has never made a storyline sequel to it, I think they like prequels a lot because it lets them reintroduce the story again and again.  They seem to want each game to be somewhat self-contained with Link and Zelda being introduced to the player as if they are brand new characters.  I suspect they do that to be accommodating to new fans, so that anyone can just come in on any Zelda game and enjoy it without having to familiarize themselves with over 20 years of continuity.  Would I like a Zelda III?  Eh, it doesn't matter.  Zelda's continuity is so unappealing to me that I now prefer that the new games make ZERO reference to it.  Only a complete Zelda reboot would make me even begin to give a **** about Zelda's timeline again.  The gameplay would be largely unaffected by any storyline Zelda III.  But give us another shot at that Zelda II gameplay.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 08:06:52 PM »
YES.

I want a sequel to The Adventure of Link so very badly. I'd love to see the "new" Hyrule (since, as has been mentioned already, the original Hyrule has become a barren wasteland) in glorious 3D with the same gameplay style and mechanics. Give us a gigantic world map to traverse with lots of locations to "go into" to explore in a quasi-2.5D graphical style. Yes yes yes.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 08:46:41 PM »
Ian Sane:  I agree with you.  The sword mechanic was the most interesting and failed mechanic of Zelda 2.  I liked the idea of having to fight, and be concerned about positioning and attacks from both sides  and being able to duck and such added depth to the combat, but then the sword was so short it made the game unplayable.

This is why I think a sequel or remake is justifiable.  I would love to see Dungeons take on a bigger size, like exploring mini worlds of Super Metriod, with the same environmental storytelling that made Super Metriod so great.  It could also be used to help give clues for puzzles and traps. 

I also think focusing the game on combat learning new sword combos, item combos and such can be fun.  Allow Link to have his sword and 2 items available (one can be the shield, but you can choose not to use it, for more offensive power.  Then item combos and chains in combat can be made. 

This new mechanic could be used to allow for stronger enemies and mini bosses that require not just items to defeat, but knowing how to use combos against them. 

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 12:34:43 AM »
Seriously, if you want to play AoL updated for today, find a cheap copy of the first Adventure Time game (Hey Ice King, Why'd You Steal Our Garbage?).  It's short (~4 hours) and pretty easy (even more so in comparison to AoL), but the game is a literal homage to AoL and is great fun.  Aim for ~$15 or so and even if you know nothing about the show, you'll enjoy the game.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Nemo

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 02:23:54 PM »
I tried the demo for AT:HIC and it seemed too easy.

I really loved Zelda II, though.
-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 07:57:02 PM »
It is way too easy.  But it's still fun.  Kirby games are typically pretty easy, but I still like and recommend them. :D
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, 12:07:48 PM »
Ian Sane:  I agree with you.  The sword mechanic was the most interesting and failed mechanic of Zelda 2.  I liked the idea of having to fight, and be concerned about positioning and attacks from both sides  and being able to duck and such added depth to the combat, but then the sword was so short it made the game unplayable.

This is why I think a sequel or remake is justifiable.  I would love to see Dungeons take on a bigger size, like exploring mini worlds of Super Metriod, with the same environmental storytelling that made Super Metriod so great.  It could also be used to help give clues for puzzles and traps. 

I also think focusing the game on combat learning new sword combos, item combos and such can be fun.  Allow Link to have his sword and 2 items available (one can be the shield, but you can choose not to use it, for more offensive power.  Then item combos and chains in combat can be made. 

This new mechanic could be used to allow for stronger enemies and mini bosses that require not just items to defeat, but knowing how to use combos against them. 

For some strange reason, when I read this post I pictured a game in the vein of Metroid: Other M and for a second it sounded like a good fit as a direct sequel to AoL, but only in dungeon design. But then, how would the overworld work? The game would feel awfully constrained to go from open exploration overworld to that quasi side scrolling for dungeons.

Also, bring back the healing ladies and just do away with the fairies for this title. It'll be the mature Zelda game fanboys have been asking for!
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.