Author Topic: Does my girlfriend have the right to make me delete a videogame she doesn't like  (Read 8729 times)

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
My girlfriend thinks I play Animal Crossing: New Leaf too much, so she made me delete the game from my 3DS a few weeks ago.

I just re-bought the game today on the Nintendo eShop, and she threw a fit.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Silenced

• A rather quiet thatguy
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
Well, if it doesn't interfere with your time together, I wouldn't understand the issue.

If it does, she has a right to complain.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
She chose... wisely.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
She has the right to complain about you playing too much and/or to ask you to delete it, but I don't think she has the right to make you delete it. If she thinks she does and you bend to her will, you two probably have bigger issues than the amount of time you spend playing Animal Crossing.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
Depends how old you are. If you're adults and live together, then sure. If not, then no.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
She has no right to tell you how to spend your free time.
She has every right to dump you if your time (free or otherwise) isn't spent well.

One thing I'll say is that if you agreed to delete the game before, then went "behind her back" to re-buy... well, that's pretty lame.  Even though I don't think it's reasonable for her to put demands on how you spend your free time (assuming that Animal Crossing was only played in free time and not interfering with activities in real life), I do think she has every right to get upset over the way you handled that hot potato.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPix™
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
I don't even understand how it's possible to play 'too much' Animal Crossing. I usually run out of things to do about 5 minutes after booting the game up. Dig for fossils, visit museum, check shops, turn off game.
Gouge away.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Now to expand on that:

If she is paying for it:  Alright its technically still her Property.
If you paid for it:  Um... No.

This doesn't work at the Wife level since at that point its Shared Income and becomes an Opportunity cost type of deal.

Girlfriends are the lowest part of the attached women heirarchy.

Wife <- Has all the rights that you have except bodily mutilation (You still shouldn't do that.).
Fiance <- Has all the rights your parent had when you moved out.
Girlfriend <- Has all the rights of a Friend but more weight.

Its a give and take in a relationship and if you believe that the points won from the GF is worth more than the game its your call.  Just take into consideration $40 for the game plus the time investment.  Thats a little steep for another person to get over.  Now she is fully in her rights to like you to not play the game as much or suggest its time to move on but, forcing you to delete it No.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
She can make the demand, and then she can make a choice based on the results/reaction to her demand.

You have every right to say "no", just as she has every right to pack her **** and leave.
But you have to choose your battles and healthy relationships are built around compromises.

Maybe you can just promise to play less, and pay more attention to her and that will be good enough. Or you can just put the game away for a while, give it a rest for a bit and work on your relationship instead.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
How old are you Tendoboy? And why are you asking for advice on a Nintendo fansite from people on the internet you've never even met? Don't you have, like, a group of buddies you can ask instead?

Offline toddra

• You dirty RAT
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
Maybe he was thinking as Nintendo fans we would just say no and make him feel good cuz his real life friends told him to toss the video game into the trash? I know all my real life friends hate Nintendo with a passion and think I am insane for continuing to support them.

On the topic at hand, it is a tough one man. As stated already relationships are hard work, give and take. Either you are willing to meet her half way or your not it's comes down to whats more important a video game or your girl friend? Maybe try getting her a 3DS and a copy of the game and you can play together? Otherwise I would ask her why she has a problem with that one game, is it because you play it too much and ignore her or is it because she doesn't think it is age/gender appropriate? I mean not to sound old fashioned but you never know with people.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
Maybe he was thinking as Nintendo fans we would just say no and make him feel good cuz his real life friends told him to toss the video game into the trash? I know all my real life friends hate Nintendo with a passion and think I am insane for continuing to support them.

That has literally nothing to do with anything. If you have good friends they wouldn't think you were insane for liking something you're passionate about.

I was only wondering why he didn't talk his friends about this and not random strangers. The type of game it is doesn't matter.

Offline toddra

• You dirty RAT
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
Well  I never said my friends were mature...

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
THIS POST HAS BEEN CENSORED FOR YOUR PROTECTION

--Bureau of Internet Morality
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 07:59:41 PM by Morari »
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Morari wins

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
it's all downhill from here...
and in response to the op

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
There's millions of women out there, but only one Nintendo.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
That sounds like a slogan for a really poorly thought out marketing campaign.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
lol. :D
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
if she can force you to delete a handheld game i don't think its very hard to imagine who wears the pants in this relationship :smug:

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel

NO WAY!!!
Made you look ****.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
I had a girlfriend once. Told me I was playing too much Harvest Moon. She was never seen again.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
With just the information you provided?  No, and I would personally only agree to do so if she gave you $35 to recoup the cost of the game.

Methinks this is more a communication problem, considering how little information we got on the topic. 

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
This is why you always buy the physical copy of the game.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).