Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 446365 times)

Offline Gingerbeer

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #1800 on: June 11, 2020, 05:26:20 AM »
I really enjoyed the Steamworld Dig games and Heist! I have Quest but haven't played yet.

For me, right now I'm playing Divinity Original Sin 2. I picked it up on Steam a while back (you know the buy the game because it's on sale thinking you want to play it one day). Played it for a few hours and it seemed like it could be something I would like and so many excellent critical reviews and fans singing its praises, so then I bought it on Switch for cross-platform saves. It's definitely much prettier on PC but having it on Switch will help me sink in much more time which will help immensely for a game like this.

It's quite different from my normal gaming tastes and I haven't played D&D since the 1990s. So I'm definitely feeling a bit overwhelmed by all the systems and options - reading a few different guides and hints/tips sites but don't want to ruin the experience exploring and experimenting. I'm still very early on in the game and it hasn't truly captivated me but I'll definitely stick with it for a while longer yet - but at this stage I really can't tell whether I'll stick with it all the way through.

Is there anyone else here who's played it on Switch or elsewhere?

Offline Adrock

• Please don't write anything here
  • Score: 121
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: June 21, 2020, 08:26:41 PM »
Indivisible (Switch)

I didn't realize I would receive both a digital and physical copy of the game. I downloaded the game thinking I wouldn't get the physical copy until July or August. I got it in the beginning of June.

Finally booted this up. It's pretty good so far. I'm not good at combos, and there wasn't really a training section. A lot of battles require combos such as breaking an enemies shield. It isn't especially forgiving as you can waste whole turns dealing like a single point of damage. There's a quick tutorial in the beginning with Ajna's father showing her how to block attacks, but he doesn't offer to do the training again. You would have to restart from the last checkpoint. I thought that was little weird.

The battle system appears pretty deep so there definitely should have been more guidance. Indivisible's battle system is like a souped up version of Valkyrie Profile's (unless I forgot the complexities of the latter). Holding a direction and the attack button does a different move for every party member. I just reached the third area, and I've only recruited six other characters. Having to remember every party member's moves has proven to be pretty difficult especially since thus far, you can't farm experience. You fight the enemies that show up. I'm not getting a lot of practice unless you count all the times I've died.

The graphics are fine; I like how colorful the world is. The backgrounds are noticeably simple with the art direction doing the heavy lifting. The music is great so far. The voice acting is uneven. The cutscenes are odd. Indivisible has a really gorgeous animated opening. With the crowdfunded budget the game had, there was no way Lab Zero Games could animate every cutscene. That said, some scenes have splash images with some minor animation while others are merely dialog on the gameplay screen with character portraits appearing with dialog boxes. It's really inconsistent because some are fully voice and others aren't. I understand not voicing every NPC. However, not every playable characters is voiced in their introductory cutscene which was weird. Not a huge deal, but I would have liked more consistency.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: June 30, 2020, 06:59:04 PM »
So I've been bumming around playing Hexyz Force (PSP). This Atlus-published RPG was developed by Sting Entertainment, and sounded promising enough... but it's been a bit of a slog. The story and characters are (frankly) pretty bad, and the localization hasn't done it any favors in my opinion. That isn't to say the game is bad - it's not - but it's been almost entirely unremarkable. Perhaps it's a case of misplaced expectations, or the way I'm playing isn't the way it should be played, but the overall experience so far has been mediocre at best and a let down over all.

Which brings me to some happier news: I've started digging into Xenoblade Chronicles 3D (3DS) again and am just constantly reminded of how much I love this game. Playing on 3DS isn't the best way to go about it in my opinion - the small screen just doesn't convey the sense of scale and grandeur that you get from a bigger view on the Wii or Switch versions... but being able to play the game on a portable system at all is amazing.

Thanks to Khush for brining it back to mind with recent posts here: http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=28408.700
NNID: ejamer

Offline Khushrenada

• Take the red-eye
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: Yesterday at 10:04:18 AM »
Which brings me to some happier news: I've started digging into Xenoblade Chronicles 3D (3DS) again and am just constantly reminded of how much I love this game. Playing on 3DS isn't the best way to go about it in my opinion -  but being able to play the game on a portable system at all is amazing.

Thanks to Khush for brining it back to mind with recent posts here: http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=28408.700

I'm just such a bad influence on these forums.  8)

I've actually popped in my 3DS copy to see the difference between that and the DE and what the 3D effect is like. I actually learned something new for use in the Switch version I'm playing by doing that. I also can't help but wonder if getting XC to work on the 3DS was another factor in getting Nintendo to the Switch since you had a portable able to run a huge game like that which was still quite current. It just seems like at that point the ability to just make console gaming equivalent to portable was pretty much there for them and now it was a matter of making it work with third parties also.