Author Topic: Disney closes down Lucasarts, Star Wars Fist Assult and 1313 cancelled.  (Read 10466 times)

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/04/03/disney-closes-game-publisher-lucasarts.aspx
After evaluating our position in the games market, we've decided to shift LucasArts from an internal development to a licensing model, minimizing the company's risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games. As a result of this change, we've had layoffs across the organization. We are incredibly appreciative and proud of the talented teams who have been developing our new titles."
Really sucks but to be expected since Disney doesn't care about the regular game Market and is killing or postponing everything star wars that isn't related to the new Trilogy. It sucks because First Assault was pretty much done and 1313 was a collaboration between Lucas arts/Lucas films/ILM with some of the clone wars guys helping on plot.
The next star wars games will be licensed software like Lego Star was of the transformer's games. I'm expecting in 2-15 when Marvel gets the comic license from Dark House all of the comic series will e canceled in favor of post Jedi pre seven content.
Guess I really can't complain since Disney is only doing what Lucas did up until now and only focusing on the clone wars and the Jedi purge.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 02:59:15 PM by shingi_70 »
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
Were they doing Jedi Academy III?

No?

Then nothing of value was lost.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
In my opinion, LucasArts hasn't been relevant since Factor 5 shut down.  I'll miss the company they once were, but I haven't cared about a single game that company has made since the GameCube launch.  It's unfortunate for the people who were laid off because Disney has never seemed to understand the gaming market, but considering what LucasArts has become I agree: "nothing of value was lost." The employees who were truly talented might turn out to be the next Telltale Games (who formed the last time LucasArts had mass closures).
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
In the 90's LucasArts was one of my favourite devs and practically every PC game they made was great.  They seemed to have a real commitment to quality but I find that disappeared around the time the prequels came out and then you never knew what you were getting.  If it they weren't in the unique position of owning the Star Wars IP they probably would not have lasted long into the 2000s and they deserved to be closed up long ago.  The "real" LucasArts died over ten years ago so I don't shed any tears now.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
In the 90's LucasArts was one of my favourite devs and practically every PC game they made was great.  They seemed to have a real commitment to quality but I find that disappeared around the time the prequels came out and then you never knew what you were getting.  If it they weren't in the unique position of owning the Star Wars IP they probably would not have lasted long into the 2000s and they deserved to be closed up long ago.  The "real" LucasArts died over ten years ago so I don't shed any tears now.
Agreed, the real Lucas arts has been dead for awhile.

They only make Star Wars games now so I see no reason for them to be a studio when the games can just be farmed out.

Offline Do_What

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
I think LucasArts was actually a really good publisher. Much better than Disney has shown they have any capability of being. But, the services are duplicated so it isn't that big a deal. From 99-2009 they were incredible. Well, 99-05, but still they were good. It's not just about making the game, it's about moving them along, and they were good at that until three or so years ago when they started getting shut down. So I think they will be missed. I love star wars games. So I am worried about who decides on which studios will be doing the games in the future.

(╯°□°)╯︵ â”»â”â”»

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
You mean my hope of a new Maniac Mansion has now officially died?

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
i am sick of these doubled topics,

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
You mean my hope of a new Maniac Mansion has now officially died?

If some of the original staff can convince Disney to let the franHAHAHAHAHA no you're boned
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline alegoicoe

• View Profile

Agree with your statement fully, but I was really looking forward to 1313 after the end of the clone war series :(
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
Disney continuing their conflicted messages as usual - Lets close LucasArts, Junction Point and Black Rock but create Infinity on every platform going.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile

I'm so sorry that our posting news, aka the whole reason this site is here, slightly interferes with your reading of the forums.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
Good news.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline alegoicoe

• View Profile
Disney continuing their conflicted messages as usual - Lets close LucasArts, Junction Point and Black Rock but create Infinity on every platform going.

Profits, profits and more profits, one game fail to meet expectations and **** it, nice going Disney.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile

Well Infinity is a near guaranteed money maker and is the pet project of John Lancaster.

Have to say I understand why Disney is doing this but this doesn't bode well for quality. At least this means Double fine and Telltale could license old properties. 

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile

I'm so sorry that our posting news, aka the whole reason this site is here, slightly interferes with your reading of the forums.
yes but it could be handled much better, take the first post, tweak it a bit, put the whole thing in talkback

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Or you could stop complaining and deal with it like a big girl which is actually easier than tweaking the entire forums per your specifications.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile

yes but it could be handled much better, take the first post, tweak it a bit, put the whole thing in talkback

That wouldn't work since its a news story and the comments double as the forums unlike most other websites.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
ugh, im just sick of seeing 2 topics on battlefield 4 basically treading the same ground...

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
And I'm sick of your bitching. Seriously, what don't you understand? One is the function of the damn site, and the other is a thread made by a forum member.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
yes i understand it perfectly and you know what else i understand
i understand that maybe the forum member should use the send a news tip link conveniently located on the top right of the homepage and wait a while before posting.

this isn't bitching, this is me giving constructive criticism and saying, maybe this can be handled better then it is...

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
i understand that maybe the forum member should use the send a news tip link conveniently located on the top right of the homepage and wait a while before posting.

this isn't bitching, this is me giving constructive criticism and saying, maybe this can be handled better then it is...

Or you could stay out of the "duplicate thread" you don't like instead of whining about it here. The Talkback thread usually becomes the dominant thread anyway unless more related news arises that expands beyond the Talkback thread's purpose.

I really don't see what you have to complain about here.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile

Or you could stay out of the "duplicate thread" you don't like instead of whining about it here. The Talkback thread usually becomes the dominant thread anyway unless more related news arises that expands beyond the Talkback thread's purpose.

I really don't see what you have to complain about here.
its something that could be handled better, i'm sorry but it is...

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
But there's nothing to handle. There's no issue here. You are literally the only person to ever have a problem with this, and this website has been here longer than either of us has used the internet.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
Is no one gonna fix the title to this thread? or is that part of it's charm?

p.s. Shinji, manual spell check on your phone or whatever you are posting from. you consistently have the most frequent spelling errors in your post.