Author Topic: New SimCity  (Read 23006 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: New SimCity
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2013, 01:11:10 PM »
After all the negativity surrounding this game, and the fact that the Mac version doesn't come out for a while anyway, I went and reinstalled SimCity 4.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2013, 03:57:28 PM »
I have had a lot of time to examine the menu screen.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2013, 04:36:47 AM »
So they announced they actually removed some non-essential parts of the game so that the server load could be alleviated.  So now they took away parts of the game so that people could even just play any part of the game.  It didn't look like anything was missing when I watched someone stream it (though they had server trouble multiple times during the stream) but that type of press can't be good for the game.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2013, 02:13:04 PM »
Game looks good. Playing an updated version of Sim City sounds very appealing.  But there is no way I would support this type of architecture - needing active servers run by the publisher to be able to play the game at all is a huge red flag for me. It's not even the launch issues that scare me off, as those will probably be fixed eventually... but how long is this game going to be playable? There is no way to tell, and no recourse once EA decides to shut it down for whatever reason.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2013, 03:23:33 PM »
You mean you don't trust EA to do what's right for their customers? :P
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2013, 04:21:38 PM »
To make up for this whole launch mess with the game, EA said they will offer a free download from their online store (thought they did not specify details, like if people can choose any game or if it's from a pre-selected list of games) to those who bought the game.

I was interested in the game until EA announced a few months ago that it would require a Internet connection to play (supposedly because features of the game can be updated instantly). I don't mind this on free-to-play games, but I refuse to pay for a game that requires a Internet connection to play at all (it's one reason I won't play MMOs, even ones like Guild Wars that don't have a monthly fee).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2013, 10:34:16 PM »
To make up for this whole launch mess with the game, EA said they will offer a free download from their online store (thought they did not specify details, like if people can choose any game or if it's from a pre-selected list of games) to those who bought the game.

They are going to give everyone some old game that no one is buying anymore or give people a choice of two shitpiles. Its a horrible fix that costs EA essentially nothing since its just a digital download and these people wouldn't buy it anyway. I imagine its going to be an old game EA is making a sequel of to give them free advertising in the process. They won't even let people return the games when they don't work so don't expect anything that would affect them in the slightest.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2013, 11:26:07 PM »
You can't return a game u bought digitally, just common sense. So that is not a valid complaint.

And a free game is a free game, even if it sucks.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2013, 11:29:05 PM »
Depends on the service, but yes, it's possible to return a game you've bought digitally.

When it comes to a game that requires authentication from a remote service before you can play it, there's no reason why they can't give a refund.  It's not like you can keep playing it if they disable it.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2013, 11:31:12 PM »
Just when I thought TJ wasn't going to corporate White Knight...
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2013, 11:35:21 PM »
UB, I am not aware of any digital services that let u return games.

I laugh at people complaining about EA offering a FREE game. People seem to feel entitled to thing. EA is choosing to offer a free game to people who bought SimCity to get back some good will. They did not have to give anything. Even if the game people get sucks, it's still FREE and they didnt have to do it at all.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2013, 11:42:54 PM »
Steam does do refunds. There is an unofficial rule that everyone gets one refund, no questions asked. Also if the developer fucks up enough like say The War Z, refunds are offered. Simcity would more than likely meet that requirement. You can also get refunds from Steam via the developer themselves. All the machinery is in place, but for an enitity like EA, it is easier for them to say "**** off" than "Please come again."
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 05:55:04 AM by oohhboy »
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2013, 12:32:18 AM »

I laugh at people complaining about EA offering a FREE game. People seem to feel entitled to thing. EA is choosing to offer a free game to people who bought SimCity to get back some good will. They did not have to give anything. Even if the game people get sucks, it's still FREE and they didnt have to do it at all.

So... they sold people a $60 game that barely functions due to reasons completely outside of the consumer's control and they don't owe customers anything?  I'm thinking a court of law may disagree.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2013, 01:02:19 AM »

So... they sold people a $60 game that barely functions due to reasons completely outside of the consumer's control and they don't owe customers anything?  I'm thinking a court of law may disagree.
You mean like Superman 64

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2013, 01:26:49 AM »
The problems came because EA underestimated the server demand for the game.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2013, 01:33:13 AM »
The problems came because EA underestimated the server demand for the game.

That's on EA.  They (through their studio) created a game that puts so much demand on the server, shipped out millions of copies, put a huge advertising campaign behind it and then got surprised that it sold? And that people wanted to play it?

That's on EA.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2013, 01:34:54 AM »
And I find it funny that EA's first response was to tell its online partners "please stop advertising the game".

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2013, 05:00:52 AM »

They are entitled to a thing, the game they bought!

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2013, 10:04:26 AM »
Yeah,
EA had the SWTOR Release under there belt and Mass Effect 3.  They should have known what the server strain would be like guestimate.  They totally underestimated and someone didn't do proper load testing.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2013, 02:40:49 PM »

They are going to give everyone some old game that no one is buying anymore or give people a choice of two shitpiles. Its a horrible fix that costs EA essentially nothing since its just a digital download and these people wouldn't buy it anyway. I imagine its going to be an old game EA is making a sequel of to give them free advertising in the process. They won't even let people return the games when they don't work so don't expect anything that would affect them in the slightest.
DLC not included

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2013, 04:30:04 PM »
Yeah,
EA had the SWTOR Release under there belt and Mass Effect 3.  They should have known what the server strain would be like guestimate.  They totally underestimated and someone didn't do proper load testing.
I'm not even sure they underestimated it or if they did only by a little. I don't think EA wants to put the money into having no day one problems because they see it as something that will be fixed by time and the inevitable drop off of users.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2013, 04:36:19 PM »
Yeah,
I'm not even sure they underestimated it or if they did only by a little. I don't think EA wants to put the money into having no day one problems because they see it as something that will be fixed by time and the inevitable drop off of users.
These are the full paying folks which will lead to more folks.  Make the up front investment and then siphon the servers around as needed.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2013, 04:58:13 PM »
You'd think companies would have excess servers they could repurpose for big game launches.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2013, 07:54:52 PM »
You'd think companies would have excess servers they could repurpose for big game launches.
Especially EA, with the amount of servers for older games they shut down all the time.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2013, 08:45:49 PM »
Especially EA, with the amount of servers for older games they shut down all the time.
Those servers arent designed to run an entire game to the extent EA is trying to accomplish, and i imagine there's some formating