Author Topic: Is Xbox Live a Ripoff  (Read 10605 times)

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
Re: on disc DLC vs XBOX live fee: What's the difference? **DEBATE**
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2013, 11:07:16 PM »
Services are different from goods!

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
Re: on disc DLC vs XBOX live fee: What's the difference? **DEBATE**
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2013, 07:18:51 AM »
and this particular service has similarity with whats on other platforms
just because its a service automatically makes it different from od-dlc?

the issue is microsoft is the only one charging for what is pretty much an industry standard
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 07:31:27 AM by pokepal148 »

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
Re: Is Xbox Live a Ripoff
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2013, 09:13:40 PM »
[this ends the original thread, now i can save nwr server space but we will begin the broad argument]

back in 2005 when live launched paying (then) 40$ for the only firmly established online gaming service around was a pretty good deal, Sony and Nintendo both had barely begun to dip their toes in that regard and microsoft was undeniably ahead of the game... the thing is that now both sony and even nintendo have their act together and offer their services for free, since 2005, the gap between the 3 services has gotten smaller(and Lives price point has gotten larger)

I have already paid for the TV and I could pay for cable, internet, Hulu Plus, Netflix etc. back when Live first offered them, there weren't many ways to get these things on a tv. now i can get a dvd player at bestbuy that can access these services and frankly, I dont like having to sign onto a subscription service to use a subscription service i already have...

times have changed and Xbox live is no longer worth it,
and now tj spyke is going to be used as a counter argument

the service on Xbox Live is superior to PlayStation Network in terms of service and value (no, I don't consider being able to rent games a great value). You also don't need to worry about non-EA servers on Xbox 360 being taken down. No one is making you play online, nor is it part of the actual game (minus the few MMO's on the system like Final Fantasy XI, although you can play that without a Xbox Live Gold subscription). It's no different than MMOs that charge you a monthly fee to play the game even though you already bought it.
Why "should" it be free? They are providing you a very good service, it's not wrong of them to have you pay to support it. I don't think it should be $60, but it's fine that they charge for it (and no, it is wrong to say charging for Xbox Live is worse than on-disc DLC or just as bad). And unlike on PS3, Xbo 360 lets you play even 5 year old games online (unless its a EA game).

thank you pal

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2013, 09:50:11 PM »
They could stand to lower the price to be more competitive. But Sony still has a lot to prove after that big ass outage they had.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2013, 10:32:45 PM »
Individual accounts being comprimised is different from having their databases pillaged!

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2013, 10:35:48 PM »
Individual accounts being comprimised is different from having their databases pillaged!
idk I think identity theft is a big deal, a premium service should have a premium security,  and you are missing the big picture, this is what most malicous hacking looks like, a little thing here to get somebodys personal information and make a bit of cash...

the PSN hack was to attract attention on the whole geohot thing, anonymous gained nothing but that in the whole thing

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2013, 11:34:01 PM »
Is Xbox Live a ripoff? Yes. It is absolutely ridiculous to have to pay an extra $60 (their asking price, at least) in order to be able to use services like Netflix and HBO Go, that have absolutely nothing to do with Xbox Live itself.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2013, 03:05:49 AM »
I actually just canceled my Xbox Live Gold subscription (or rather, turned of auto-renew) the other day. I only lasted as long as I did because of the small but very important online functionality I use in sports games, and now that I have a PS3 controller that doesn't suck like the standard ones do I'll just buy those games there. I have a Roku box I got for about the same price as a year of XBL which streams almost all the same stuff.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2013, 08:33:29 AM »
Wii U and PS3 for streaming here. Just found out a couple of weeks ago you can block the PSN server websites from your router and watch Netflix etc on a custom firmware PS3. You don't even need to be signed in on a regular PS3 technically.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2013, 09:15:02 AM »
Not surprising, i was able to watch Netflix on mine during the great PSN outage.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2013, 05:37:21 PM »
Didn't Live actually start in 2002?  Unfortunately, until people start talking with their wallets, Microsoft will continue to require this service.  They made $1billion in 2010 on it alone.  So why stop when you make so much money?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2013, 07:00:20 PM »
Yes.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2013, 07:38:08 PM »
i'm not arguing that i'm saying why pay for what you can get for free on another system

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2013, 01:25:36 AM »
As someone who gladly paid for Live for the original Xbox, it is a huge ripoff.  At the time it was the only way I could play with my roommates together online, and on the  same tv was a huge bonus. My pc was crap and the market wasn't flooded with low spec games like it is today either. Even then I didn't like paying but I did.

Now paying for live is the mark of the gullible. PS3 has no charge, Wii gave free online play with fc and WiiU and PS4 will have the same services for free. At least the original Xbox had unique games like crimson skies and mech assault, even halo was still something special at the time. Now fps with halo mechanics are a dime a dozen and ms doesn't make the more unique games anymore that they can lock you out of.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2013, 01:43:32 AM »
Sixth, I think it's a little naive to think PS4 wont charge for at least some of the services PS3 has for free. Sony is losing money badly, and their investors see how much money Xbox Live makes (while PSN has been a bust in terms of making them money),
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2013, 05:55:21 AM »
That's why they started PlayStation Plus. I haven't seen any numbers on how well it's doing for them, but it's a way of generating money for mostly extra bonus things like automatic updates and cloud saves.

J.P. Corbran

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2013, 12:03:58 PM »
I've seen this mentioned on NFR and other podcasts, but I think it's very likely Sony will start charging for stuff like streaming games. Maybe stop leasing so many free games. PS+  can only do so much for them when a lot of people spend less money thanks to it. I can't count how many times I've seen people avoid buying a game because they wait for it to be given out for free on PS+. Add in the various discounts on games, and the fact the Sony only makes about $5 a month per subscriber means its probably not a big money maker for them (especially compared to Xbox Live Gold).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2013, 12:54:27 PM »
I've seen this mentioned on NFR and other podcasts, but I think it's very likely Sony will start charging for stuff like streaming games. Maybe stop leasing so many free games. PS+  can only do so much for them when a lot of people spend less money thanks to it. I can't count how many times I've seen people avoid buying a game because they wait for it to be given out for free on PS+. Add in the various discounts on games, and the fact the Sony only makes about $5 a month per subscriber means its probably not a big money maker for them (especially compared to Xbox Live Gold).

Its what I expect to happen as well. Sony looks at all of the free revenue that Microsoft gets from live subs and salivates at it.
But I would consider Xbox Live to be a rip off. Though most people can find it for half aoff and If you use bing a lot you could easily live for free every month.

Still Microsoft is going t have to go hard on Next gen live and i'm expecting.
-All of the social style features shown for the PS4 with some miiverse style component.
-something similar to PS+
-Xbox Music Pass and Xbox Video subs added into it.

3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2013, 01:32:35 PM »
I think people waiting to buy games because of PS+ is like people waiting to buy games because of Steam sales; it happens, but it's not widespread or a big enough deal for Sony/Valve to base policy on it. I think the service is right where it should be right now, and while it may not be a huge moneymaker for them, it is making them money. The important thing is people rave about PS+ and complain about Xbox Live, and that positive comparison is worth more to Sony than the money it brings in.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2013, 03:41:38 PM »
As a PS+ owner, I consider live a ripoff.  I will also say that while I get a lot of free games, about 90% of them are ones I would have never bought otherwise and they turned out to be pretty good games.