Author Topic: Obscure eShop/DSiWare Game Discussion  (Read 8624 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Obscure eShop/DSiWare Game Discussion
« on: October 06, 2012, 03:32:43 AM »
If you don't follow me on Twitter, you might not realize how absolutely addicted to the eShop I am. Having already bought all the well known and hyped up games on the service, I've now delved into some of the more obscure 3DS and DSiWare games on the service.

This is a thread for me, and anyone else who wants to, to plug a 3DS download game that seems like nobody's ever heard of.

The one I played today is called Undead Storm. It's basically another take on the "kill waves of enemies" genre pioneered by things like Gears of War's horde mode. You have an overhead view, move with the d-pad, turn with the shoulder buttons, and use the face buttons for weapons. You can find allies and lots of different weapons along the way, and fight through several waves of enemies before taking on a boss. I've only played the normal difficulty so far, which is kind of easy, but we'll see how the harder levels go. The game supports multiplayer local co-op, but it doesn't appear to allow for download play, which is a shame, as this seems like it would be a lot of fun with other people instead of CPU teammates.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 01:23:24 AM by NWR_insanolord »
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
Re: Obscure eShop Game Discussion
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 04:40:43 AM »
This could be a great thread!

Personally...Block Pusher. Man, this is pure gaming crate puzzles, some you'll beat quickly, some you'll find you need to obsess over for awhile.

Also, if you haven't already tried Surviving High School... you should. &P Interactive fiction, boo yeah! Think choose your own adventure, but much more modern and updated. Some of the mini-side campaigns are also pretty great one-off missions, like the one that turns into a sort of pseudo RPG, hehe.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 09:00:08 AM »
The one I played today is called Undead Storm. ...

A great recommendation for anyone who has $2 left to spend on their eShop/DSiWare account. (Maybe the thread title should reflect that DSiWare will also be discussed?)

You didn't mention the lengthy list of 80 achievements to unlock, which are a nice touch since replay value would be a bit limited with only 3 unique stages. Many achievements are obvious - things like beating the various levels at different difficulties, defeating a certain number of enemies, using (or avoiding) certain items, and making use of the different characters. But there are also some interesting challenges that require players to complete special tasks or change how they approach each level. The downside to achievements is that some will require multiplayer matches to be unlocked.

Regarding multiplayer, it's really too bad this game doesn't allow for download play. Only costing $2 makes it easy to recommend or download, but if your friends don't have a DSi/3DS or aren't willing to pay for the game then you are out of luck. Letting friends join in without owning the game themselves, maybe even with basic DS units, would definitely push Undead Storm to be a "must buy".

I look forward to seeing what other digital games you talk about. Hoping to see some of my personal favorites like Pop Island Paperfield (another $2 game, although one that offers great multiplayer support and download play for any friends with a DS/DSi/3DS).
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 09:04:19 AM by ejamer »
NNID: ejamer

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 10:24:23 AM »
Hmm...Nope. I got nothin'. All the games I own on eShop are, I feel, pretty well known. Most of my purchases are based on reviews and recommendations though, so if word about them is reaching my ear they're probably reasonably well known.

I mean, certain people might consider Catrap to be obscure but people on these forums probably wouldn't.
Gouge away.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 11:58:01 AM »
The DSiware Metronome.  Normally, you'd pass it up as shovelware - but... it has an awesome old school DK rhythm game in it. :D
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 12:10:29 PM »
The DSiware Metronome.  Normally, you'd pass it up as shovelware - but... it has an awesome old school DK rhythm game in it. :D

Tell me more!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 12:57:20 PM »
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 02:57:00 PM »

Tell me more!

You would like to know more?...Well, if you say so.

Gouge away.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 10:54:53 AM »
99 Bullets may be my favorite shooter of all time. I bought it based on our review, where whoever reviewed it for us said good things, and this game has really gotten its hooks in me. As the title suggests, you need to get through each level in this game firing no more than 99 shots, making every one count and building up combos to hit the score necessary to move on to the next.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 01:37:50 AM »
Um, Magical Whip? The coolest pick-up-and-play arcade-y game ever?

And Soul of Darkness, if you're into a brief, but fun Castlevania-esque title. Replayability is low, though.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 10:16:38 AM »
Magical Whip is a neat little game. Simple mechanics, but a lot of fun. I should put that back on my system. Stupid fridge cleaning...

I just finished Ace Mathician 100%, and I think it's one of the best examples of a unique idea that could only work on a download service. An old school platformer where you shift the platforms around the stage using mathematical equations. It never gets that hard, but I had a lot of fun with it.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 08:35:03 PM »
Keep suggesting, please! Micro purchases are my way of life nowadays. With more Mutant Mudds levels, the sequel, and Crashmo on their way, I'm planning on spending a bit more on the eShop, but I do like knowing about more obscure titles.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 06:07:21 PM »
if you have a good chance for download play there is cosmo fighters.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 09:53:55 PM »
I would play the hell out of something like undead storm if they had some sort of updated 3DS version with download play. I just love those type of games, but surprising enough not really into the geometry wars style, too bland/retro/generic. Bloody mayhem is just my thing.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 11:20:14 PM »
There's a 3DS eShop game hitting Europe this week that from the vague description I read sounds somewhat similar to it.

J.P. Corbran

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2012, 11:26:40 PM »
Really? I will have a look out for it during this Thursday's update. It might be the first e-shop game I might buy.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2012, 11:56:43 PM »
It may not be anything like it, I just remember thinking about that game when I read the two sentences about it in the press release.

J.P. Corbran

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2012, 11:11:08 PM »
Well, whatever it is it hasn't turned up here(NZ). Do you have a name?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2012, 10:11:47 AM »
It has the very creative name of Monster Shooter.

J.P. Corbran

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2012, 11:17:49 AM »
That one's also available on Android and iOS.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2012, 11:48:43 AM »
Had a look at some of the videos of this and I can't say I am enthused. It doesn't tickle that Smash TV level of mayhem itch. The resolution scaling issues badly reducing the playing field, starting out as a mobile game and it's free to play origins which required massive amounts of grind for cash outside of the pay real money for cash system just bring up too many red flags.

I would be better served by breaking out the SNES and playing Smash TV instead.

Offline accc

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2012, 11:11:12 AM »
I just thought I'd chime in and add that the Rabi Laby games for DSiware are two of the best games available on the eshop. They're puzzle-platformers which involve controlling two characters, each with a distinct set of abilities, and using them in tandem with each other in order to clear the levels. The games have the perfect level of difficulty for a puzzle-platformer; they won't make you tear your hair out but they're still challenging enough to feel rewarding. They also have time trials which are highly addictive. Anybody who's into puzzle platformers should check them out!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2012, 02:07:06 PM »
I just thought I'd chime in and add that the Rabi Laby games for DSiware are two of the best games available on the eshop. They're puzzle-platformers which involve controlling two characters, each with a distinct set of abilities, and using them in tandem with each other in order to clear the levels. The games have the perfect level of difficulty for a puzzle-platformer; they won't make you tear your hair out but they're still challenging enough to feel rewarding. They also have time trials which are highly addictive. Anybody who's into puzzle platformers should check them out!

SOLD! I'm dling both of these games now.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2012, 11:31:52 PM »
It's a DSiWare game, but I honestly enjoyed Kart Krashers. It's not a circuit racing game, but you drive around arenas collecting stars and defeating enemies for points.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2012, 01:15:25 AM »
It's a DSiWare game, but I honestly enjoyed Kart Krashers. It's not a circuit racing game, but you drive around arenas collecting stars and defeating enemies for points.

I actually enjoyed it a lot too! The story is sort of nonsensical, and the characters are an... eclectic... bunch. But I LOVE the more puzzle-platforming use of the Kart genre, Not just speeding through courses, but exploring the arena, manuevering my kart up ramps and into items or treasure... like I said, the idea of the game reminded me a little of Beetle Adventure Racing...