Author Topic: Nintendo Free Radio Episode 5: The Rainbows Come From Awesome  (Read 7678 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Nintendo Free Radio Episode 5: The Rainbows Come From Awesome
« on: September 30, 2012, 04:52:20 PM »
Nintendo Free Radio Episode 5: The Rainbows Come From Awesome

Just imagine the “Awesome” Mega could have tapped into if Capcom HAD named him “Rainbow Man”

Like a good ninja, Nintendo Free Radio is there in your ears once more (eww…) - but we do admit that the sparkles are a little much. Austen, Donald and Stephen's journey through the world of games restarts with a New Business trip to the local 16-bit arcade with Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness: Episode 3 (which is certainly the game with the longest title we’ve had on this show).  Following a little “Gangsta” session of tapping blocks on the street with SIMON Flash (disclaimer: Swizz Beatz sold separately), we’re off to the Stars with Donald Duck in Disney’s PK: Out of the Shadows (sadly, anything possibly related to Donald Duck apparently also sold separately).

Afterwards, Donald soaks-up the Chibi “flava” with the PSP’s Mega Man Powered Up (hey, someone remembered Mega Man Soccer!), a game that apparently beat Sony to the User-Generated Content punch.  Once hostilities cease with the Mandrill in Rhythm Heaven Fever, Donald flings a surprise Incinerate Plasmid at the critically-acclaimed and fan-beloved underwater Randian FPS Bioshock.  Keeping the surprise Xbox 360 attention going, Austen whips up a Dust Storm with a look at the “Recommended, Except for James Jones” Metroid-esque XBLA Summer of Arcade brawler Dust: An Elysian Tale.  Narrowly avoiding the wrath of Vanilla Ice, we turn away from the Samurai and meld into the shadows with a game that should have been in that Summer of Arcade: Mark of the Ninja.  We finally wrap things up with a little Sparkle Hunting in Suda 51’s latest descent into vulgar madness (at this point, can we just buy the season pass?): Lollipop Chainsaw.

Still in the grip of madness, we turn our attention to the Nintendo World Report forums with another round of Now Posted before jumping into another installment of Watcha Been Watching.  This episode’s programming includes the most realistic event Professional Wrestling’s seen in years; the SyFy polar opposite duo of Alphas and Warehouse 13; ThE BoUrNe SuPrEmAcY and the “Knight Rider meets Spider-Man meets Batman” Russian spy thriller Black Lightning (don’t adjust your set. We’d never heard of it either).

Afterwards, it’s time for a look at the State of the Money Hats ™ as our Feature Discussion delves into the past; present; and future of pre-order bonuses in the gaming industry.  Which of our hosts has the oddest collection of “surprisingly useful” useless junk?  What are our host’s most fondly-remembered pre-order bonuses/limited editions?  Will someone finally relieve Austen of Bucket Duty?  All these questions and more may be vaguely answered in this week’s reminiscence-heavy discussion!  In the wake of the great Bayonetta 2 Seppuku epidemic, we break out some Listener Mail (yes, really!) asking what games we wish Nintendo would Money Hat for Nintendo console exclusivity.

Somehow surviving the experience with our Bodies Ready and Intact, we finally close the show with 1Ups/Poison Mushrooms.  In light of the complaints we received from PETA after the last episode, we end this episode on happier subjects such as the further decline of Japanese relevance after this year’s yawn-inducing Tokyo Game Show; the field of technological destruction emanating from Donald; and overly-punitive traffic tickets.  Yes, oddly enough those are still happier notes to end on than we had in our last episode.

We're still looking for feedback and questions for Listener Mail, which you can send to nintendofreeradio@gmail.com.  You can also post in our thread on the NWR forums, or leave us comments under this post on our website at http://nintendofreeradio.podbean.com.  Finally, if you're an iTunes user, be sure to drop us a rating as well so we know what you want to hear on future episodes!  NFR will be back in 2 weeks with another round of barely-coherent rambling, but until then we’ll continue to seek it: the rainbow connection.  The lovers, the dreamers, and us.

This podcast was edited by Stephen Shook. All music is copyrighted to their original owners and is used under fair use protection.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 10:05:13 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Free Radio Episode 5: The Rainbows Come From Awesome
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 01:16:04 AM »
you guys chose the perfect music to have in the background for the now posted segment XD

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 10:44:40 AM »
you guys chose the perfect music to have in the background for the now posted segment XD
Thanks.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 03:52:46 PM »
I hear this episode was hard to make.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 03:57:19 PM »

Yeah, the second half was something of a mess due to some bad mic placement on my part and some technical issues. It's amazing that Ceric was able to salvage it, because you did NOT want to hear what the earlier versions sounded like.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 05:19:34 PM »

Yeah, the second half was something of a mess due to some bad mic placement on my part and some technical issues. It's amazing that Ceric was able to salvage it, because you did NOT want to hear what the earlier versions sounded like.
Not to mention their was ton of Gremlin's going on throughout the editing process...
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 06:12:15 PM »
Ceric, what did I tell you about getting them wet or feeding them after midnight?! Geez.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 09:45:32 PM »
I'm waiting for the mp4 after not being able to skip the discussions of Simon and PK. Sorry, guys. Don't worry, I do this on RFN almost every time James starts talking about his New Business.

"So I've been playing a new strategy RPG..." SKIP
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 09:39:36 AM »
yeah i pretty much skim over the new business sections of pretty much every podcast because they're kinda pointless. What i love about connectivity is that they rarely do that, and when they do kind of have a now playing segment its usually in context of a larger topic. However i think the reason every videogame podcast does that is probably because its fun to do for the people participating. Although i like this podcast's now watching segment because pretty much no one does that and its usually short.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 01:12:00 PM by Lithium »

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 10:26:41 AM »
I mean in general do people like New Business?  I mean its a trope of the medium and subject matter.

Hmmm.

We have enough Episodes that maybe it is time to find out what people do and don't like officially.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 10:29:35 AM by Ceric »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 12:51:35 PM »
I mean in general do people like New Business?  I mean its a trope of the medium and subject matter.

Hmmm.

We have enough Episodes that maybe it is time to find out what people do and don't like officially.

Personally, New Business is my favorite segment of any podcast, both ones I do and ones I listen to.  I like hearing what people are playing lately.

But hey, if people don't like New Business, we DO ask for feedback at the end of every episode.  So if you guys have opinions on what sections we keep doing, let us know.  Lithium is the first guy I've seen so far who doesn't like New Business in podcasts.

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 01:10:19 PM »
well you don't need to get rid of it but i guess if im going to leave feedback im going to say that it could stand to be a bit shorter

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 01:30:43 PM »
well you don't need to get rid of it but i guess if im going to leave feedback im going to say that it could stand to be a bit shorter

Well, with the way life is kicking us around right now, you'll probably get your wish just by pure coincidence since none of us are really finding we have time to game lately (especially Ceric since it takes him a huge chunk of our 2 week hiatus to edit these podcasts).   :P: : In all seriousness, we've been trying to cut down New Business, but it just never seems to end up that short.  What can I say? We like to talk.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 01:55:31 PM by broodwars »

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 09:26:13 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I like New Business, but I also like the ability to skip past games I don't give a sh*t about.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2012, 09:23:09 PM »
Episode 6 is in the can, and we've altered the deal.

Pray we don't alter it further.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 09:45:15 PM »
Getting in the NFR podcats (though I wish the chapter version would be on iTunes), and I love that I get a shoutout in this episode. Yes, I would support a punch to the junk of anyone who writes "M$" or "Micro$oft".
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2012, 12:41:47 PM »
Getting in the NFR podcats (though I wish the chapter version would be on iTunes), and I love that I get a shoutout in this episode. Yes, I would support a punch to the junk of anyone who writes "M$" or "Micro$oft".
The more recent ones don't have chapters simply because it is a much larger time sync for me than expected and I'm normally already out of time by the time these last few episodes were suppose to come out. (go go holiday season and audio mishaps...)