Author Topic: Super Zombi U, I'm freely warming up to it  (Read 87398 times)

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Super Zombi U, I'm freely warming up to it
« on: June 06, 2012, 01:28:09 AM »

edit: Let's make it a megathread!

Zombi U is the game that replaced Killer Freaks from Outer Space. This disappointed me, because I was really looking forward to Killer Freaks, especially since so many known third party Wii U games have been pushed back to 2013 or beyond.

That being said, the gameplay is looking good. The zombies react well to being shot, the scavenging aspect brings the survival back to the survival horror genre, and the pad seems well integrated into gameplay. Check out this gameplay footage:

« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 03:19:06 PM by ShyGuy »

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
Re: Zombi U, I'm warming up to it
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 01:36:43 AM »
What would be better is online co-op. But some of the aspects make it appealing.

I was never a fan of Killer Freaks and never even thought of it more than a demo.

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 01:38:27 AM »
I wonder if it's going to be a fairly linear game or have a more open-world aspect to it.
"Nothing tips like a cow."

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 01:42:17 AM »
Yeah, I'm pretty psyched for this one too. Fast zombies are not necessary to have a solid zombie title. The creatures in this are lumbering, brain dead horrors, and that's creepy. In a good way.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 02:14:55 AM »
What I really love about this game and one that I think really separates it from others of its type is the fact that your interaction with items and your inventory take place in real time.  This just adds to the tention.  The fact that the main screen shows a dramatic angle also helps in that it'll allow spectators (the wife Lil) to at least participate in my gaming session because she can be my lookout during those moments.  It'll be like an interactive movie lol, you know like when you watch a horror movie and yell at the character on screen when the monster is coming lol.  Now, instead of yelling at the screen, you can yell at the person who is playing and then let the panic ensue lol. 

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 02:37:49 AM »
This was the first game I stood in line for today.i sucked at dual analog controls.. Too used to pointer controls, umote usage was solid, graphics were pretty good and a sense of panic is had when you are trying to get ammo out of you inventory and then aim at the zombie all before he can jump on you and bite you...all the while having a perfect view of the zombie coming at you.

And then if you get bit and die, the next person to party can come back and kill the zombie you and lot the corpse for the stuff you had. It was pretty nice.

Also the controller is light and comfortable.

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 03:14:37 AM »
Well, it takes something quite outside the box to get me into a first-person shooter, but by some miracle, Ubisoft are making a few promising launch games (in exact values, 3 out of the 8 they announced), and this is one of them.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 03:31:18 AM »
that sounds like an interesting idea, the idea about where you collect survivors and if you die its up to the next person to continue the legacy. It would be interesting if you had different characters and they had different attributes, id imagine some would be expendable, but maybe you get a perfect game if nobody in your party dies.

even before i was a minecraft fan, and when Microsoft first started talking about supporting indy developers on the first xbox i had several ideas about destructible environments, and crafting. I believe Dead Island has done this sort of thing to some extant, but when I used to play those old static resident evil games i always thought about those damn unusable objects and how i could solve problems in different ways if only i could manipulate the environment. I really love game-play like this. I can think of one instance of Portal where i skipped a whole level because i stacked a bunch of junk up and went straight to the exit.

on one hand i like the idea that theres a world that has a story that you learn about, on the other hand i like to really manipulate and interact with that story in my own creative way. If someone can create a game like this then that would be really awesome.

also, i like randomized environments. Thats something both animal crossing and minecraft had. If you could make a game where it generates neighboorhoods, and then generates whats inside the houses, then that would be cool. I can imagine this sprawling city that one would have to conquer in a survival horror game, but its different for each person. How awesome would that be?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 03:33:17 AM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 03:45:10 AM »
Oh god I don't know about this anymore... I'm not burned out on zombie games, but I'm not a big survival horror fan, scare really easy, and think that I would die A LOT in this game.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 10:00:29 AM »
My brother, who pretty much plays nothing but AAA games on the HD consoles,  saw the gameplay trailer and said "I want to play that."

So I'm glad someone is doing something to attract those types of games. Thank you Ubisoft.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 12:35:32 PM »
My brother, who pretty much plays nothing but AAA games on the HD consoles,  saw the gameplay trailer and said "I want to play that."

So I'm glad someone is doing something to attract those types of games. Thank you Ubisoft.

I will gladly buy this game in support of gamers like your brother gettinv a Wii U. If they want zombies I want zombies!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 04:39:53 PM »
My only concern for this game is that it appears to be entirely linear.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2012, 08:53:17 PM »
Thank you Ubisoft.

And then Ubisoft reveals more Imagine and Petz games. Redundancy at it's best.

Kidding kidding. Seriously though, this game looks absolutely amazing. Violence, brutality, true survival horror. It actually seems very similar to the "Condemned" games (but with zombies).

And it's a launch title?! Oh hell yes!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 08:57:22 PM by tendoboy1984 »
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2012, 09:24:54 PM »
It does remind me a lot of Condemned. The graphics are better than Condemned though (considering that was a 2005/2006 era game) Not that Condemned looked bad or anything. Let's take a look at the PC version:

Second off-cam gameplay vid for Zombi U from Gametrailers. The lighting is impressive.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2012, 05:09:39 AM »
My only concern for this game is that it appears to be entirely linear.

I don't think we've seen enough of it to make that judgment. The demo drops you right into a mission, but doesn't show how you got it in the first place.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2012, 07:13:53 AM »
The name of the game should be changed from Zombi U to Zomwii U.

Get it? :)
is your sanity...

Offline Snake-Arms

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2012, 03:30:28 PM »

You should be ashamed of yourself.

Get it?

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2012, 09:36:55 PM »

You should be ashamed of yourself.

Get it?

No, I don't.

Care to explain?
is your sanity...

Offline NeoStar9X

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2012, 11:59:42 PM »
ZombiU is a title I'm really looking forward to as well. I just hope Ubisoft doesn't drop the ball at the end though. The concept is pretty interesting and while I'm not one for horror games I'm willing to give this a shot.

Offline LOZman

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2012, 05:39:46 PM »
When I first saw this game, I was unimpressed to be honest. However, now this is one of the reasons I am buying the system day one. The aspect that appeals to me the most is the multiplayer. Having one person being the zombie master and one being the survivor is a fantastic idea. I can already imagine the great times I am going to have playing this mode with my friends!

Offline Drizzt

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2012, 08:05:26 PM »
I think it's kind of cool that it's a reboot of the first game Ubisoft ever made.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2012, 10:40:47 PM »
Zombie Steel...what?
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2012, 11:41:08 PM »
I don't get the Red Steel comparisons. Is it just because it's a FPS from Ubisoft? The main issue Red Steel had was that the controls didn't live up to the promise, and this game uses the same controls as any other console FPS. Why does this automatically get lumped in with that?

J.P. Corbran

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2012, 11:49:22 PM »
Because a company gets a track record. They have to break it. It isn't incumbent on us to ignore their history.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2012, 12:28:10 AM »
Despite my being a complete and utter Pikmin fanboy, this game was probably my game of the show. Barring major change, it's currently a total lock for me to be buying with my Wii U day one. Yes, Ubisoft has a history of mediocrity, but the two games of theirs I played at the show (out of the eight they've got slated for the launch) gave me nothing but good impressions, and I'm not going to second guess that based on the reputation.

J.P. Corbran