Author Topic: E3 2012 Press Conferences - Days 2-3: Nintendo Main PC & 3DS PC  (Read 80737 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: E3 2012 Press Conferences - Day 2: Nintendo
« Reply #150 on: June 05, 2012, 02:43:17 PM »
I love how a lot of people wonder why 3rd parties don't support Nintendo Systems and then totally ignore the 3rd party stuff. Also the Nintendoland Demo was way way to long.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 05, 2012, 02:49:27 PM »
Someone called me out earlier on my comment that E3 is for investors.  I don't recall who that was, but to you, I say, p'shaw!
http://www.e3expo.com/show-info/1101/about-e3/
Who Attends

In 2012, leading computer and video game companies, business partners, media and industry analysts from over 100 countries will converge on the Los Angeles Convention Center.

E3 2012 will welcome software developers, buyers and retailers, programmers, distributors, entertainment industry representatives, financiers and venture capitalists, importers and exporters, manufacturers, resellers, researchers, educators, financial and industry analysts and worldwide electronic and print media.

Again, E3 isn't and was never meant for *us*.  PAX is what you want.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 05, 2012, 02:50:20 PM »
I came away very underwhelmed by the presentation.  That doesn't mean I'm not going to not buy a WiiU when it comes out, but it means that I'm not going to be screaming out "DAY 1 PURCHASE" until much later, when the launch titles and launch window release dates are further fleshed out and I see what my options are in terms of spending my money.

Right now I'm looking at the list and I'm trying to see what would get me really excited to run out and get a WiiU at launch.

- Pikmin 3 obviously hits the spot.
- NSMBU will be there for obvious reasons (for other people in the Soren household, but I'll still play it)
- Project P-100 definitely interests me.
- Zombi U has me and my brother sold on it, so we'll try it out.

I'm really pissed there was no talk of the eShop for WiiU. I know I'm not the only one either. Chasing Aurora looks like a game I want to try, and I really wanted to know what the future holds for the eShop at launch.

I also want to know what kind of sports gaming the WiiU will have. Will Madden and FIFA on WiiU feature the Impact engine? What about the NBA 2k series? What about online for all these sports games, will they be just like or better than their MS and Sony versions?

The next few months will be critical in answering these questions, plus any additional 3rd party support that may be on the way (Black Ops 2? Watch Dogs?).

I still have faith this will be a day 1 purchase for me, but I was hoping E3 would sell me. Nintendo now has to further convince me
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 05, 2012, 02:53:14 PM »
Who is going to be drawn to the system because it has this screen?
/raises hand
No one except the retailers that sold 40+ Million Wii Fit units.

E3 is a show for retailers, investors and, to some extent, media.

It's a Trade Fair.  It's not meant for us.
No one needs to see Wii Fit again because people already know what it is. Nintendo spent all of that time and the only really new thing about it was the pedometer. If they showed 2 Wii Fit Boards being used on a single console or even video chat with someone else who is doing the exercises with you, I would understand spending the amount of time Nintendo spent on Wii Fit U. What we got was the same basic demo we saw twice before.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 05, 2012, 02:54:30 PM »
I love how a lot of people wonder why 3rd parties don't support Nintendo Systems and then totally ignore the 3rd party stuff. Also the Nintendoland Demo was way way to long.

A lot of those you want better third party support bought another system after it was clear the Wii wasn't going to cut it by itself.  I don't need a Wii U to play Arkham City or Mass Effect 3.  Nintendo was never going to win anyone over with the same third party stuff the other guys have.  They still HAVE to have it but it isn't going to sell anyone.

And if you want to talk about it, I'm not yet comfortable that the third party support will be all that hot.  Looks better than the Wii but not yet any better than the Cube (which still missed out on a LOT of "every system but Nintendo" releases).

Offline fiendcode

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 05, 2012, 02:55:43 PM »
Reasons to buy a Wii U (pre-E3 Conference)

1. Pikmin 3
2. New Super Mario Bros. Mii

Reasons to buy a Wii U (post-E3 Conference)

1. Pikmin 3
2. New Super Mario Bros. U

:[

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 05, 2012, 02:56:33 PM »
Someone called me out earlier on my comment that E3 is for investors.  I don't recall who that was, but to you, I say, p'shaw!
http://www.e3expo.com/show-info/1101/about-e3/
Who Attends

In 2012, leading computer and video game companies, business partners, media and industry analysts from over 100 countries will converge on the Los Angeles Convention Center.

E3 2012 will welcome software developers, buyers and retailers, programmers, distributors, entertainment industry representatives, financiers and venture capitalists, importers and exporters, manufacturers, resellers, researchers, educators, financial and industry analysts and worldwide electronic and print media.

Again, E3 isn't and was never meant for *us*.  PAX is what you want.

Yep, more people need to realize this.  The Wii has sold close to 100 million systems worldwide.  The best selling games for the system were Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Mario Kart and NSMB which have all sold over 20 million each.  So for the Wii U's launch, Nintendo has shown they'll have a new Wii Fit, NSMB and a spiritual sequel to Wii Sports in Nintendo Land.

Yes more games would have been nice but if these games aren't going to be ready until later 2013, it's no surprise Nintendo choose not to show them at the conference because they wanted to focus on the games that are going to be actual system sellers at launch.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 05, 2012, 03:01:02 PM »
I'm really pissed there was no talk of the eShop for WiiU. I know I'm not the only one either. Chasing Aurora looks like a game I want to try, and I really wanted to know what the future holds for the eShop at launch.

That bothered me, too.  Why not throw a bone to the Nintendo faithful by announcing the future of their downloadable titles?  What will happen to all the Virtual Console and WiiWare games I've downloaded on the Wii?  They've said that I'll have an account on Wii U, but nothing about what will happen with my games.  Hell, they didn't even announce a Wii U Virtual Console.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 05, 2012, 03:03:34 PM »
Who knows, maybe there will be a new Space World this year.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 05, 2012, 03:04:53 PM »
For the record, my issue with the time spent on Wii Fit U is similar to my issue with spending such an egregious amount of time on Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition. It's nice that Rocksteady revisited the game and added some neat Wii U exclusive content but it's still largely a game that's been out for almost 7 months. Nintendo didn't even mention Project P90X P-100.

I never claimed E3 was strictly for gamers. I'm aware that more than just gaming media is running around. However, there are major weak spots in the Wii armor that didn't really get addressed that affect retailers and investors. Some of those weak spots just happen to be things that concern core gamers.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 03:06:28 PM by Adrock »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 05, 2012, 03:05:36 PM »
One of the problems with Nintendo and its press conferences, is they have so much going on that they don't know where to focus. The other problem is the lack of third party exclusives. We would hope Wii U wasn't just the port place for last years ps3/360 games, but thats what it is. The only 3rd party game i'm interested in is ZombiU, but there should be at least 3 real third party exclusives like ZombiU. More specifically all exclusives should be game types that Nintendo wouldn't make themselves.

Also, this is powerful hardware, the games they show off shouldn't be stuff that could be achieved on gamecube. The only wow game from Nintendo was Pikmin 3. They showed that first, so it was like they blew their load at the beginning. It just seems like I waited a year for something, and now i have to wait another year for something, and it makes me wonder if its ever going to be there. I've been following e3 since 1998, and it just seems that between n64 and now they've lost track of what a big title is and how to show off the heavy hitters. Lets take Gamecube for instance. When gamecube was shown off there was Pikmin, Eternal Darkness, Star Fox Adventures, and Kameo. We didn't get Kameo, but the others were worth getting excited about. At the same time there used to be so much they used to show at spaceworld. They're presentations have really been uneven since dropping Spaceworld. If they went back to dividing their time between 2 shows then they could have more focus on whats important at these shows then having uneven shows. Its stupid to only do one event a year and because of time constraints blow it.

theres still not enough concrete facts about the product, and as a consumer I need to know more. They should really go in depth on their online plans. If not at the show, on the website immediately after.  Reggie confirmed that you could use 2 wii u gamepads, then that should have been said on sunday at the pre presentation. Sometimes Nintendo is too damn secretive and it bites them in the ass.

hopefully they will have more to show, but they should do it sooner than later.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 03:09:37 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 05, 2012, 03:08:33 PM »
Like I said before, the conferences are only the beginning salvo for E3. We've got 3 days of impressions articles and videos ahead, and that's what will keep you best informed. Depending on the reception from the show floor, I may or may not be convinced.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 05, 2012, 03:11:36 PM »
Like I said before, the conferences are only the beginning salvo for E3. We've got 3 days of impressions articles and videos ahead, and that's what will keep you best informed. Depending on the reception from the show floor, I may or may not be convinced.

Exactly. We all have a list of games that will sell us the system. That list will change and evolve as more info comes out.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 05, 2012, 03:11:53 PM »
well the conference left me dissapointed but i was never planning on buying a wiiU at launch to begin with anyways.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 05, 2012, 03:13:09 PM »
also as adrock said, its not a good idea to focus on Wii Fit, Wii Sports

last generations games are always the ones people care the least about. As popular as Halo, Wii Fit, Grand Theft Auto, Zelda they all have diminishing returns in the long run unless there is a major changeup.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: June 05, 2012, 03:13:28 PM »
I find it very odd that Nintendo hasn't announced a date or price or the future of the eShop.  Isn't this supposed to come out THIS year?  So when the hell are they going to release this info because this is mandatory stuff.

Regarding the Wii downloads, I wonder if Nintendo realizes how important this is.  If they don't let existing Wii owners transfer their stuff, there is going to be backlash.  If they keep quiet about it, people are going to get suspicious and assume they're intentionally avoiding talking about it because there is no transfer.  Maybe they don't realize they need to say something but even THAT is not encouraging because if they don't know this matters, they might not necessarily be even thinking of having a solution for it.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 05, 2012, 03:13:34 PM »
The other problem is the lack of third party exclusives.
Well, you're not going to get a lot of those and you know what? That's okay. Ports of last year's major titles are okay too... so long as they're supplemented by ports of games that are being released in the coming months. That's what was missing. Square Enix announced months ago that Tomb Raider wasn't getting ported to Wii U, but that was before it got delayed. Is it still not coming to Wii U? How hard is it to port the game? I believe Vigil Games said that they ported Darksiders II to the Wii U in 3 weeks. That said, it's almost like 3rd parties are still giving Nintendo the cold shoulder and that's obviously a bad thing.

As a PS3 owner, I have nothing to worry about. I have access to 99% of those games. As a Nintendo fan and someone who wants to see Wii U succeed, it's a little worrying.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 05, 2012, 03:14:20 PM »
While this was called a "Press Conference", this wasn't for the "Press" as we gaming nerds see it.  It's not for Kotaku, IGN, NWR or random nerd with a camcorder and YouTube channel.

This conference is for USA Today, New York Times, CNN, FOX and MSNBC.  This is for the folks who really want an overview of what's coming out so they can print a story about it.

P-100 wasn't shown because Mr. New York Times Reader doesn't care about P-100.  He wouldn't even care for the new Call of Duty, if it hadn't sold more than the entire movie industry combined last year.

Luigi Dude said it best - Nintendo had to show Wii Fit U because Wii Fit was one of the best sellers last generation.

You've seen all those stories in the press about how sales in the video game industry is down and it's all Nintendo's fault?

Bamn.  Wii Fit sequel.  Bamn.  New Super Mario Bros. sequel (2, in fact).

Hell, considering the lackluster sales of Pikmin 2 and NPC Pikmin (and, to some extent, Pikmin 1 on the 'Cube, considering it was virtually a launch title), I'd have to say showing Pikmin 3 as their opener was a risky move.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 05, 2012, 03:18:31 PM »
There is another conference tomorrow. They said it's focused on 3DS, but maybe they will slip a few Wii U bombs in there.

But it was a little disapointing to not see anything we didnt already know was coming except for Nintendoland.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 03:22:11 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 05, 2012, 03:19:03 PM »
Who knows, maybe there will be a new Space World this year.

Nintendo's September/October conference has been the new Space World for the last several years now.  They always announce more new games at that conference then E3 each year.  Nintendo only uses E3 to show of their big sellers for the end rest of their current fiscal year which they've done for the last several years and did the same this year.

This is why people shouldn't have been surprised by this conference since it played out the same way all of Nintendo's conferences have gone the last several years.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 05, 2012, 03:19:06 PM »
I would think that investors would want to know what the long-term plans are for the Wii U.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 05, 2012, 03:20:52 PM »
They do - and much of that will be shown in the next few days at E3.

Remember - this was a Pre-E3 Press Conference.  It's one hour that takes place before the three days that consist of E3.  It's not the entire future of all things video gaming ever. :D

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 05, 2012, 03:22:47 PM »
P-100 wasn't shown because Mr. New York Times Reader doesn't care about P-100.  He wouldn't even care for the new Call of Duty, if it hadn't sold more than the entire movie industry combined last year.
And you think he cares about The Last of Us or Splinter Cell? I'm not even really convinced he cares about Wii Fit. Is he really reading The New York Times for videogame news?

And I didn't say "don't show Wii Fit." You can show it. Just don't spend so much time on it if you're not going to show something new. I previously suggested 2 Wii Fit Boards being used on a single console or even video chat with someone else who is doing the exercises with you. That changes Wii Fit entirely. If your sister lives across the country, you can still yoga with her.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 05, 2012, 03:24:51 PM »
I don't think they are going to announce things like their online plans. That's the only specific thing I wanted out of E3. I didn't want any specific games, and they're already started showing some new games like the P-100 project and the new WarioWare game, so I'm fine with that.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 05, 2012, 03:25:07 PM »
I would think that investors would want to know what the long-term plans are for the Wii U.

You mean the same investors that want Nintendo to suddenly develop for mobile devices in order to get short term gain even though this would hurt Nintendo in the long run?  Yeah, to these investor just seeing how NSMB U, Wii Fit U and Nintendo Land will probably sell over 20 million copies each in the next few years was enough to make them happy.